Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manziel loses his starting job for being a knucklehead. .... again

jvan1973

so it's a problem when he dances, there's no alcohol or nothing proven in the video/photo but dancing. It's a problem when he does it, making him an *

But when NFL network shows that Gronk video of him partying after the super bowl loss it's acceptable? Come on man

You get paid the big money to be a leader and be an example to your teammates not to be caught on tmz

Manzeil knew Pettine had no faith in him.  He just wanted to showcase Johnny so he could run him out of town and not look bad in doing so.  At leas they have their draft strategy once more.  Dig into the QB draft hat once again and hope for the best. {which never seems to work for the Browns}

Wonder if Chip Kelly is interested in taking him away from Jerry Jones...   :76evil:

Exactly JPPT & if the Browns don't want you, how much lower can Johnny go? The 49ers? The Eagles? His NFL prospects look mighty grim now.  

I'm surprised Manziel wasn't partying with Aldon Smith. My bad.

He may, and emphasis on "may", get another shot with the Browns or someone else. It'll be his last, IMO. It truly is a shame that a person with his football talent would just throw it all away. I get the addiction point. I really do. If NFL football comes first for him, and his heart is in that mindset, he will persevere with help. Otherwise, addiction can send you to places you don't want to go and have full control over everything in your life no matter how strong you think you may be.

So now there are reports that he lied to the coaching staff about when the video was made and also asked other people to lie to cover for him? Even after giving his guarantee that he wouldn't be an embarrassment during the bye week. This is on top of all his other stupid crap. Is this the type of character you want as your starting qb. How anyone can defend this boneheaded, overprotected, arrogant manchild is beyond me

He may, and emphasis on "may", get another shot with the Browns or someone else. It'll be his last, IMO. It truly is a shame that a person with his football talent would just throw it all away. I get the addiction point. I really do. If NFL football comes first for him, and his heart is in that mindset, he will persevere with help. Otherwise, addiction can send you to places you don't want to go and have full control over everything in your life no matter how strong you think you may be.

Agreed...this boils down to the decisions of a man who I'm guessing has resources to help himself that many who wrestle with addiction don't.

This is a guy who has shown flashes of NFL ability, is pretty articulate at the microphone, and has also shown that big moments on the football field aren't too big for him.

So we know he has no trouble with decision making....good or bad....whether its a lightening quick play on the field or a poorly-calculated lie to his employer about this ill-advised night on the town.

Manziel is now at the point where cold, hard accountability will be making career decisions for him that he either couldn't or wouldn't make for himself.

For now....he's surrendered any remaining trust that his NFL career holds the priority in his life that it should.

It's really too bad....without the alcohol and self-driven hype, and with a little humility and a lot of hard work.....this story could have been completely different.

Agreed...this boils down to the decisions of a man who I'm guessing has resources to help himself that many who wrestle with addiction don't.

This is a guy who has shown flashes of NFL ability, is pretty articulate at the microphone, and has also shown that big moments on the football field aren't too big for him.

So we know he has no trouble with decision making....good or bad....whether its a lightening quick play on the field or a poorly-calculated lie to his employer about this ill-advised night on the town.

Manziel is now at the point where cold, hard accountability will be making career decisions for him that he either couldn't or wouldn't make for himself.

For now....he's surrendered any remaining trust that his NFL career holds the priority in his life that it should.

It's really too bad....without the alcohol and self-driven hype, and with a little humility and a lot of hard work.....this story could have been completely different.

The best summation I've read concerning Johnny Manziel. Nice post, pacolts56.

This is how stupid the Browns often are.  How many people on here could have called that this is what would happen?  Pretty much everyone, I certainly did.

But with Bridgewater (who was my personal favorite pick) and Carr still on the board the Browns went with Johnny Manziel and ignored all of his personal issues and passed up 2 guys who didn't have any personal issues.

After seeing the QB situation in Cleveland play on Monday night...isn't this "Manziel off the field knuckle head" business getting a bit out of hand?

The purpose of a QB is to throw competent passes to the proper receiver during game time...not to be an advertising image for the franchise.

Here is a team that has perennially struggled, invested a first round pick in a QB, has no real alternative at QB, but yet will decide to not play him because his ugly mug showed up on a partying video over a non work weekend (the bye-week).    Even though his play on the field was actually improving

The social do-goodism that's supposed to be a lower ancillary part of the NFL product certainly seems to be getting over emphasized here, IMO.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

After seeing the QB situation in Cleveland play on Monday night...isn't this "Manziel off the field knuckle head" business getting a bit out of hand?

The purpose of a QB is to throw competent passes to the proper receiver during game time...not to be an advertising image for the franchise.

Here is a team that has perennially struggled, invested a first round pick in a QB, has no real alternative at QB, but yet will decide to not play him because his ugly mug showed up on a partying video over a non work weekend (the bye-week).    Even though his play on the field was actually improving

The social do-goodism that's supposed to be a lower ancillary part of the NFL product certainly seems to be getting over emphasized here, IMO.

I get that, DD. And if it wasn't for his past & who he is, I probably cut the kid some slack. Really. The thing about this past situation was he promised Pettine he would have a "quiet" weekend after naming him the starting QB. That didn't happen. You give someone your word, stick to it. He didn't.

That's not very good for the team overall. When does the "slack" end and reality engage, no matter what kind of QB play is called for during any point in the season? Not trying to argue with you, as I see and agree with your point to a degree. It's just, when does it stop? The Browns gave us the answer when Manziel was demoted to 3rd string QB.

20 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

I get that, DD. And if it wasn't for his past & who he is, I probably cut the kid some slack. Really. The thing about this past situation was he promised Pettine he would have a "quiet" weekend after naming him the starting QB. That didn't happen. You give someone your word, stick to it. He didn't.

That's not very good for the team overall. When does the "slack" end and reality engage, no matter what kind of QB play is called for during any point in the season? Not trying to argue with you, as I see and agree with your point to a degree. It's just, when does it stop? The Browns gave us the answer when Manziel was demoted to 3rd string QB.

I guess if the demotion to 3rd string is a sign that the Browns are permanently done with him, I think its a bad decision to make that based upon breaking his promise to his coach.  And besides, the guy was on private property and it wasn't really his fault his private weekend turned into a noisy public discussion.

If this is a temporary disciplinary thing, where he will probably regain his staring position back after a while...okay then.

Here's the deal for me.  The Cleveland QB situation has been about the same throughout the Hoyer, McCown, Manziel performances. 

So if a drunk Johnny Manziel can perform at the same level as a sober Brian Hoyer or Josh McCown, if I'm the Browns, I'm thinking I've got to invest more time in helping him to straighten himself out and not get real excited about him simply partying on his own free time during the non work week.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I guess if the demotion to 3rd string is a sign that the Browns are permanently done with him, I think its a bad decision to make that based upon breaking his promise to his coach.  And besides, the guy was on private property and it wasn't really his fault his private weekend turned into a noisy public discussion.

If this is a temporary disciplinary thing, where he will probably regain his staring position back after a while...okay then.

Here's the deal for me.  The Cleveland QB situation has been about the same throughout the Hoyer, McCown, Manziel performances.  So if a drunk Johnny Manziel can perform at the same level as a sober Brian Hoyer or Josh McCown, if I'm the Browns, I'm thinking I've got to invest more time in helping him to straighten himself out and not get real excited about him simply partying on his own free time during the non work week.

If he was talented,  he wouldn't have been demoted.  

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he was talented,  he wouldn't have been demoted.  

Now that makes more sense than demoting him for getting drunk during the nonwork week. 

I don't follow the Browns, but I heard he was playing better.  Maybe not.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Here's the deal for me.  The Cleveland QB situation has been about the same throughout the Hoyer, McCown, Manziel performances. 

So if a drunk Johnny Manziel can perform at the same level as a sober Brian Hoyer or Josh McCown, if I'm the Browns, I'm thinking I've got to invest more time in helping him to straighten himself out and not get real excited about him simply partying on his own free time during the non work week.

I don't think the Browns are done with him. At least, not according to Pettine. He stated that the demotion is exactly that. A demotion. I think they're of the mindset that he could eventually work his way back to starter by whatever means they expressed to him. What that is, I don't know. 

I do know that the rest of the NFL is likely off-limits to him right now. That may or may not change. I believe it's up to Manziel to align himself to whatever the Browns have laid out on the table to him.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Now that makes more sense than demoting him for getting drunk during the nonwork week. 

I don't follow the Browns, but I heard he was playing better.  Maybe not.

Well, according to ESPN as of now, Pettine has named Austin Davis as their starting QB & that Johnny Maziel will back him up. So, ....???

42 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Well, according to ESPN as of now, Pettine has named Austin Davis as their starting QB & that Johnny Maziel will back him up. So, ....???

Quoting Pettine from the original article..."The improvements from last year to this year have been tremendous but he still has to consistently demonstrate that he has gained a good understanding of what it takes to be successful at the quarterback position on this level. It goes well beyond the field."

I guess I'm a bit Leary when someone says that it goes well beyond the field.  I think the field is far more important.

Austin Davis is the QB that slid and didn't have the presence of mind to run out of bounds to stop the clock and get a few more yards when they were driving for the winning FG.  I think a QB doing that kind of thing leads to losing more so than getting drunk on the off weekend.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Quoting Pettine from the original article..."The improvements from last year to this year have been tremendous but he still has to consistently demonstrate that he has gained a good understanding of what it takes to be successful at the quarterback position on this level. It goes well beyond the field."

I guess I'm a bit Leary when someone says that it goes well beyond the field.  I think the field is far more important.

Austin Davis is the QB that slid and didn't have the presence of mind to run out of bounds to stop the clock and get a few more yards when they were driving for the winning FG.  I think a QB doing that kind of thing leads to losing more so than getting drunk on the off weekend.

Yep. It sure does, DD, from a football perspective only. It's just that the NFL & most of it's fans don't stop at that juncture. It goes off-field as well. As long as I can remember this has played out. Whether it's right or wrong is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. The NFL tries to hold it's aspirations to a higher ground, I believe. Youth, moral compass, et.al and the like. I also subscribe to that line of thinking. Is it good or bad? I think from an overall picture it is. Some may disagree. And, that's fine. To each is own. 

Partying instead of relaxing with his playbook is one thing, lying to the coach about that partying and possibly having buddies lies in a cover up is what lost all trust and got Johnny 3rd string.  Even with McCown out for the year, Pettine had to send a message, thus Johnny still is a backup. I believe Johnny wore out his welcome in Cleveland, and he will go to the Cowboys, or possibly the Eagles. Not sure if Manzeil is a Chip Kelly kind of guy, though.

39 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Partying instead of relaxing with his playbook is one thing, lying to the coach about that partying and possibly having buddies lies in a cover up is what lost all trust and got Johnny 3rd string.  Even with McCown out for the year, Pettine had to send a message, thus Johnny still is a backup. I believe Johnny wore out his welcome in Cleveland, and he will go to the Cowboys, or possibly the Eagles. Not sure if Manzeil is a Chip Kelly kind of guy, though.

The NFL really loves partying, restless, irresponsible, immatue, crime attracting players while players(ahem Tim Tebow) who are god-loving, faithful, civilized, hardworking and honest are fighting to get a job in the NFL.

6 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

manziel's text to browns during the 2014 draft, "hurry up and draft me so we can wreck the browns & my career together."

True, that is another way to look at Johnny's NFL career. Wreck not as in unprecedented success, but more like deliberate, subconscious sabotage. Well put SDS.

I don't see any ethical dilemma with benching an alchoholic (hypothetically, of course, I don't know anything about Manzel's personal life) for drinking.

Firing him would probably be a different story, but you could conceivably bench a guy for any reason that you, as the coach, think is best for the team... even if a player doesn't break any rules...

That is why Manzel made a dumb mistake. He's an adult and can party if he wants, but if he wants to start, He's gotta prove something to the coaches that other players might not have to. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Nothing unfair about it, even if he can't help himself. JMO.