Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Head Coaching Candidates [Mega-merge]

LUVTHESHOE

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this guy has been talked about, if so sorry,but I was thinking that Bruce Arians would be a great choice. He comes from one of the best fun franchises in the game and is familiar with the Colts. I think it would be a great fit.

What makes Pittsburgh so "fun"?

:D :yay:

Just messing with ya.

I am sure he would, I am just saying when we cut the strings from our fine coach that I would sure call him.

Is he actively looking for a outside promotion, if not he's not gonna be interested. He might be the next in line to be the Steeler GM when it becomes available.

I agree with the pick from a talent perspective though

Is he actively looking for a outside promotion, if not he's not gonna be interested. He might be the next in line to be the Steeler GM when it becomes available.

I agree with the pick from a talent perspective though

He's still working right now, so actively looking for a promotion would be a very odd move. Why would an OC be in line to be GM? That's a big jump for someone with no front office experience.

Waiting for Mike Tomlin to lose his job might take awhile, so the most promotion he could get there is assistant HC. I don't know rather or not he wants a promotion or he is even HC material, but I see no harm in interviewing or attempting to.

He's still working right now, so actively looking for a promotion would be a very odd move. Why would an OC be in line to be GM? That's a big jump for someone with no front office experience.

Waiting for Mike Tomlin to lose his job might take awhile, so the most promotion he could get there is assistant HC. I don't know rather or not he wants a promotion or he is even HC material, but I see no harm in interviewing or attempting to.

Im loopy today. Yes HC not GM and im talking about a promotion years from now. Basically he's probably content. No harm interviewing though.

I don't know if this guy has been talked about, if so sorry,but I was thinking that Bruce Arians would be a great choice. He comes from one of the best fun franchises in the game and is familiar with the Colts. I think it would be a great fit.

I'll pass. This guy is more concerned with showing off his playbook than he is coordinating a solid gameplan on offense. His play calls have no continuity. Mendenhall will have a long gain one play, and instead of either feeding him the rock again or going play action, he'll go to an empty set the very next play. Makes absolutely no sense. Despite having numerous weapons at his disposal, he's failed to generate a truly elite offense. Every year Pittsburgh is amongst the leaders in total yardage, yet they always seem to end up in games where the score is 13-10. His redzone play calling is horrible. One game after his starting Qb breaks his thumb, he goes out and calls a gameplan against SF that has Big Ben throwing the ball nearly 50 times. Yeah, that's smart. It's as if Rashard Mendenhall doesn't even exist in his head.

There's a reason this guy has been the coordinator for Pitt the last 3-4 years and hasn't been interviewed for a head coaching job once since then. Let's keep it that way.

If we go offfense with our head coach, one guy I'd like to see get consideration is Rob Chudzinki. He's shown an ability to adapt his playbook and gameplan to the talent he has around him. The fact that a portion of the Panthers plays came straight from Auburn's playbook shows this guy is forward thinking. Adapt your playbook to your talent, not the other way around.

Mike Zimmer is just what we need a great consistent Defensive minded coach who has shown he can do good things even without the most talented group and he could turn ours into a physical run-stopping unit.

But is he head coaching material? I'm not saying he isn't, but there are many coordinators who are good coordinators, but can't handle being a good head coach. Guys like Wade Phillips and Mike Singletary come to mind immediately.

I think it would be interesting to rob the Bengals of both coordinators, like how the Cardinals did the same the Steelers when they were chosing between Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt. What if the Colts hired Mike Zimmer and he brought in Jay Gruden as Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head coach, which would be an upgrade for Gruden.

Arians used to be our QB coach here a number of years back. He was a good guy; we had a chance to get to know him a bit during his time here. He has developed since he was here. I think he could be an interesting possibility as a head coach, depending on who he would bring with him (particularly on the defensive side of the ball).

no no no! steelers fans want rid of him. not for the colts

Agreed. Like I said, this guy hasn't been interviewed since joining the Steelers for a reason, and it's not because he's content with being a coordinator. He's been a head coach before, so he's already shown the ambition of at least attempting to be a head coach. Tom Moore never once tried his hand at head coaching, so the Arians/Moore comparison is not accurate, in my opinion.

Are we talking about him as a head coach or a GM? I don't see what qualifications he has as a GM. Head coach? Meh. Another poster pointed out some things about how he calls plays and the way the Pittsburgh offense has looked the past few years. Not impressive to me. The overall numbers are good, but the offensive line has been a mess, the run game has been sporadic, and I really don't like the way their offense looks.

• 2 weeks later...
Does this mean that interview with Spags is for HC? I am "ok" with Billick but I would much rather see some new blood brought in as I've mentioned before in other posts. There are some good coordinators from the Packers, Ravens, and other teams that should be given a shot.

That's what I'm wondering. We know Jim flew to meet with spags today. But what for