Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Head Coaching Candidates [Mega-merge]

LUVTHESHOE

Bit of a lengthy post but bear with me...

-1st off I'm not sure what the buzz is with Kirk Ferentz, I'm not a midwestern-er so maybe there's just something I don't know about him, he had some decent teams at Iowa but it seems his name is brought up every year and I just can't understand why, if we absolutely had to hire a college coach I would much rather have someone like Bob Stoops or Les Miles, although I'm not a fan of hiring college coaches to the pros

- I don't understand why people want Jim Tressell either, again I'm not a midwestern-er and I hate Ohio State so I might be bias in that regard, but his play calling always seemed bland and I'm not sold it would in the pros, and I'm not a fan of Jim the person, he wrote a book about honesty and he lied to the NCAA and to Ohio State

- Dom Capers? Really? He's 48-80 as an HC, I understand they were both expansion teams, but with exception of the one freak year with the Panthers his teams never really showed any improvement over his tenures, as a matter of fact I think they regressed.

- Wade Phillips, he's a fantastic DC no one will debate that, but he had talented in both Buffalo and Dallas and could do nothing with them, and you can bring up Dallas all you want, but he had no where near that type of pressure on him in Buffalo and still had just ok teams.

-Pete Carmichael...I'm a Syracuse U football fan and we have a former Saints OC as our HC (Doug Marrone) and he has done absolutely nothing so I'm a bit leary of him in that regard, but his offense and work with Brees speaks for it self, I do know however that up until mid way through the year he had never called plays.

My personal list of candidates include....

-Mike Zimmer....and I like that idea of the package deal w/Jay Gruden

-Rob Chudzinski: He turned Derek Anderson to a pro-bowler (he might be a miracle worker) and led the development of Cam Newton who many said would be the next JaMarcus Russell and had one of the best offenses in the NFL this year.

-Hue Jackson: For some reason he's my number 1 candidate, he made Jason Campbell look like a playoff caliber QB, and crafted a decent team with really nothing but a bunch of track stars. He is a bit arrogant, but I like that in a HC, and he's a virtual opposite of Caldwell. His team did set the NFL record for penalties, but I would think the Colts have more disciplined players than the rag tag bunch in Oakland, and with a strong owner and a GM in place I can't see him wanting to make Carson Palmer like trades.

Those would be my top 3, others I wouldn't have a problem with include Jerry Grey, Mike McCoy, Todd Haley (more so as an OC) and Todd Bowles

Oh and how can I forget, Brad Childress would be a fantastic hire..........as the team's airport shuttle driver.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this had been posted. on NFL.com they had an article that Arians was told the Steelers would not renew his contract.

I'm not sure how I would feel if Arians became the HC. Familiar with Irsay, the Colts and Manning. But Pitts offense has been very inconsistent the last few years, but then again part of that is Big Ben being inconsistent as well. And none of that means he can or cannot do all the things a HC needs to do to run a team.

Sorry if this had been posted. on NFL.com they had an article that Arians was told the Steelers would not renew his contract.

I'm not sure how I would feel if Arians became the HC. Familiar with Irsay, the Colts and Manning. But Pitts offense has been very inconsistent the last few years, but then again part of that is Big Ben being inconsistent as well. And none of that means he can or cannot do all the things a HC needs to do to run a team.

Merge. The Arians discussion was merged into this thread previously, so you can find the perspective of other members in this thread

If a decision is to be announced this week, who do you think their top 3 are?

Hopefully Zimmer, Carmichael, and Chip Kelly.

I think Chip Kelly would be better than people think. As long as we surround him with good coordinators like Harbaugh was in SF, he should be successful because he is a great leader and an innovative offensive mind who I think could adjust to the NFL.

Hopefully Zimmer, Carmichael, and Chip Kelly.

I think Chip Kelly would be better than people think. As long as we surround him with good coordinators like Harbaugh was in SF, he should be successful because he is a great leader and an innovative offensive mind who I think could adjust to the NFL.

I highly doubt Kelly will be in the top 3 candidates. I haven't even heard that the Colts have had any discussion about him at all. I think Kelly's name was brought up as pure speculation from the media. Tressel is obviously in the top 3 hopefully along with as you said, Zimmer and Carmichael. I would like to see Chuck Pagano too, but I don't think the Colts have been linked to him either.

I highly doubt Kelly will be in the top 3 candidates. I haven't even heard that the Colts have had any discussion about him at all. I think Kelly's name was brought up as pure speculation from the media. Tressel is obviously in the top 3 hopefully along with as you said, Zimmer and Carmichael. I would like to see Chuck Pagano too, but I don't think the Colts have been linked to him either.

We may show interest in someone from the Ravens and/or the 49ers/Giants loser, since their seasons will be over....

If i had to guess on who the top 3 are as of right now, i would say Zimmer/Tressel and the DC from the Titans (had an over 6hr long interview)....but i wouldnt be surprised if we talk to Pagano from the ravens or Fewell from the Giants

If Grigson is serious about the "leadership" quality...

Zimmer

Tressel

Fill in the blank of an experienced head coach

Still feel like they will go with someone with HC experience. If Peyton comes back, don't want a rookie head coach trying to figure out game management (sound familiar) and if we have Luck, rookie QB w/ rookie HC would not seem like a great combination for leadership

Tony was a huge factor as a head coach and being a driving factor of turning that team around.

I never said that he was the GM.

Before Tony........... That team went only one season of 10 wins...... Over a 20 year period.

You may be down-playing the impact that he had on that team..... By a great bit

i never said he didn't have an impact on the team, so i don't know where i was down playing his impact. if anything you are over playing his impact by saying he "built" the team...which he certianly did not.

Trying to follow the search for a new head coach is both fun and scary. Almost anything would be an upgrade over Caldwell yet I dont want a bland nobody like Tressel for HC. Looks like Grigson and Irsay are having a little fun planting rumors and keeping everyone guessing as to their true selection. Until the selection is made we have a little fun trying to read the tea leaves. To paraphrase Jim Mora about the coaching search - we don't know when the great Colts coaching search of 2012 will be completed. We really don't know, because we don't know what Irsay and Grigson are trying to do, we don't look at the resumes. WE don't know what happened in the interviews. We really don't know. We think we know, but we don't know. And we never will.

Trying to follow the search for a new head coach is both fun and scary. Almost anything would be an upgrade over Caldwell yet I dont want a bland nobody like Tressel for HC. Looks like Grigson and Irsay are having a little fun planting rumors and keeping everyone guessing as to their true selection. Until the selection is made we have a little fun trying to read the tea leaves. To paraphrase Jim Mora about the coaching search - we don't know when the great Colts coaching search of 2012 will be completed. We really don't know, because we don't know what Irsay and Grigson are trying to do, we don't look at the resumes. WE don't know what happened in the interviews. We really don't know. We think we know, but we don't know. And we never will.

I agree. Just like people are saying Tressel won't be a good NFL coach. Nobody knows. He hasn't coached in the NFL yet. He has won though wherever he's been. There is a lot to say for that.

I agree. Just like people are saying Tressel won't be a good NFL coach. Nobody knows. He hasn't coached in the NFL yet. He has won though wherever he's been. There is a lot to say for that.

Tressel hasnt just won, he has won OVER 80% of his games...a lot of people discredit that though since he "cheated"...but all he did was let some players trade stuff that THEY OWNED in exchange for some tattoos...is that really earth shattering stuff?