Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Head Coaching Candidates [Mega-merge]

LUVTHESHOE

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip Kelly - Great football mind. Adjust his offense to fit the personal he has. Great record at the college level.

Mike Zimmer - Leader of men and his players respect him. He can be a players best friend or biggest enemy. He has gotten a lot out of the talent they have on D in Cincy.

Hue Jackson - Probably not a popular choice on this board. But he got a raw deal in Oakland. He coached up Campbell to play beyond his talent level and was stuck with a group full of speedy guys who played much better than anyone thought. I think he could get this team rolling. At the very least, I'd like to see him as a OC.

Winston moss - He is the LB/Assistant HC in GB. So he has plenty hand in game planning for games. He also is a former player, so players can relate to him. I think he is an underdog choice. But could grow with the team as we rebuild.

Wade Phillips looks like a goober....... but

The guy is a known defensive coach.

Once again he quickly showed that he could turn a defense around.

If we could field 90% of the offense that we have had in the past, and a Wade Phillips defense.....

We could win well

Dallas has 2 huge problems....... I live here

The owner who forced players like TO and other nut cases on the coach., and Tony Romo, who cant play so well in December and January

We've seen this movie before, though. He's a GREAT defensive coordinator. Just proved that again in Houston. But he's shown a couple of times that he's not that great of a head coach. Some people are that way. Mike Martz, Norv Turner, etc.

LOL @ Wade Phillips. As a head coach, he has inherited playoff teams and simply done nothing with them. But what he did with the Texans this year as D coordinator was remarkable. As someone previously said, great coordinator, but heck no as a head coach.

He is certainly a good DC. Should note, however, that the Texans were stocking up with high draft picks on D for years. About three years in a row now before the season I was concerned that they would finally have the goods to stop the Colts, and then they would fail misserably. It sounds like the talent was there, but the coaching wasn't, so a good coach (blending the players into a scheme that fits their skills) was the perfect fit. That doesn't mean that the results could be duplicated elsewhere.

He is certainly a good DC. Should note, however, that the Texans were stocking up with high draft picks on D for years. About three years in a row now before the season I was concerned that they would finally have the goods to stop the Colts, and then they would fail misserably. It sounds like the talent was there, but the coaching wasn't, so a good coach (blending the players into a scheme that fits their skills) was the perfect fit. That doesn't mean that the results could be duplicated elsewhere.

Definitely a perfect storm, but the question with Wade in Houston wasn't whether he could improve their defense, it was how fast he could do so. He's a great defensive mind, no question about that.

Why Gruden?

He benefited from a Tony Dungy built team that he ran into the ground.

He was "OK" in Oakland, but not spectacular.

I dont see what he would bring

Cower and then Phillips would be my top 2 choices

i like the way you overlook the fact that gruden took the tampa team to sb after dungy continually underachieved with it. and dungy didn't build anything, he was just the coach. and gruden did an excellent job in oakland...considering he was working for al davis.

not that i'm for hiring gruden...

Right. They drafted pretty dang well and Mario's transition from DE to OLB worked out for the best. I was just shocked that they went to a dominant 3-4 team in one year, with a shortened offseason on top of that. Usually takes about 3 years. Wade really knew what to do with that talent.

I like Bill Cowher, but I too think he's a bit overrated as a head coach, mostly due to LeBeau's great defense. Could do a lot worse, though. And he can definitely put together a coaching staff.

I didn't have a problem with Cowher until he said on one of the pre game shows that he would let Peyton go and go with a young QB. I was shocked that he out and out said that and Peyton wasn't even over his surgery and cleared to practice yet. Just soured me on him as a coach for making that statement so soon after his surgery. JMO of course. May be a little difficult to get the right HC since Irsay will have the final say on what he wants to do with Peyton's situation. I have a feeling it will be an unknown coach and not someone that has had a HC position before. That's also just my opinion. I guess time will tell but I bet it will be announced soon.

I didn't have a problem with Cowher until he said on one of the pre game shows that he would let Peyton go and go with a young QB. I was shocked that he out and out said that and Peyton wasn't even over his surgery and cleared to practice yet. Just soured me on him as a coach for making that statement so soon after his surgery. JMO of course. May be a little difficult to get the right HC since Irsay will have the final say on what he wants to do with Peyton's situation. I have a feeling it will be an unknown coach and not someone that has had a HC position before. That's also just my opinion. I guess time will tell but I bet it will be announced soon.

That's the problem with the media. You take someone who has been on both sides of the table like Cowher, and if he was making decisions for the Colts, there's no way he would have given that answer that way. But when he's getting paid by CBS to give his snap judgment from 1,000 miles away and voice his opinion, then he just says the first thing that comes to his mind.

Team has made it pretty clear that they are looking to start over fresh ... consdiering that I doubt we will see a previous HC here in Indy. That rules out guys like Billick, Cowher, Gruden ...

I would look for someone that has been a OC or a DC shortlist Scott Linehan, Jim Haslett, Greg Manusky, Mike Zimmer, Chuck Pagano ...

Some talk from Clayton of Denver O coach, Spags (Interview with saints), someone from CFL- I doubt we get a brand name or a recycler here unles Spags. for D. NEW ERA means NEW ERA Coach- Perhaps some connection with Grigson and for sure before Indy host SuperBowl; want to show off the new head coach.

Hawkeyes, Haslett and Linehan have both been HCs before and tanked pretty badly.

If no one gave people second chances BB would never have gotten one in New England. Sometimes situations just aren't right. With that said I am not saying any of those guys will be the next BB. I'd rather give one of them a second chance than a guy like Wade Phillips a fourth chance though.

Some talk from Clayton of Denver O coach, Spags (Interview with saints), someone from CFL- I doubt we get a brand name or a recycler here unles Spags. for D. NEW ERA means NEW ERA Coach- Perhaps some connection with Grigson and for sure before Indy host SuperBowl; want to show off the new head coach.

Grison does have connections with spags and really likes him. NFL network just said he is the front runner for HC. Odd he was interviewed then 12 hours later cakdwell fired.

Grison does have connections with spags and really likes him. NFL network just said he is the front runner for HC. Odd he was interviewed then 12 hours later cakdwell fired.

That whole situation with Spags/Caldwell was very strange to say the least. Something had to have happened in that interview one way or another.

I read reports that he had interviewed with Caldwell - that would have been awkward unless he was interviewing for DC and not HC.

Yeah they admitted it today in the presser that was the case. That is just odd. Something had have happened in that interview that we don't know about and we might not know about.

Do you think Fischer regrets not holding out a few days longer to see what the Colts were going to do? Same could be said from Colts point of view. Regarding Spags/Cald. meeting, that must have been sureal; something went down.

I read a report earlier that the Colts reached out to Fisher and he was not interested.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/1/17/2714612/jim-caldwell-fired-indianapolis-colts-jeff-fisher

Take that for what it's worth.

That's the problem with the media. You take someone who has been on both sides of the table like Cowher, and if he was making decisions for the Colts, there's no way he would have given that answer that way. But when he's getting paid by CBS to give his snap judgment from 1,000 miles away and voice his opinion, then he just says the first thing that comes to his mind.

That's good and that is the reason I usually don't pay any attention as to what is being said but I remembered that and thought what the hey did you just say. haha The media always gets things out of wack like today when ESPN said Caldwell would be back and I had our local TV station cut in and say Caldwell had been fired. Oh well they have to have something to talk about I guess.

I read a report earlier that the Colts reached out to Fisher and he was not interested.

He wanted total control and knew he wasnt going to get there here in Indy. Thats what kept him from taking the Miami job - if theyd have given him total control I think he would have went there instead of St. Louis. Also, I think it would be easier to go to a team thats been losing for awhile vs a team thats been a consistent winner for years.

I think Arians could make an interesting choice for the Head Coach. It would be his first assignment as a Head Coach, but he has flourished in every opportunity he has had in the NFL. Back in '98 he was Peyton's first QB coach here with the Colts. He has a direct understanding with Peyton, and is used to working with young QB's. He is a major reason the Big Ben has developed over the past few seasons with Pittsburgh. While his coaching career has been primarily on the offensive side of the ball, he has deep ties with the Bill Cowher coaching tree. Arians coached with Cowher years ago when both were with Kansas City. Cowher still has deep, strong ties with the Steelers organization and Arians would probably be able to dip into the pool of coaching talent. He also understands the tough mentality and personality of the Steelers organization and could probably help instill that same kind of mindset here. While he is not a "youngster" at 59, he would be a rookie head coach and still young enough to have a number of years here.

Thoughts??

Bill Cowher is a great coach and I'd love to have him, but I dont see him coaching anytime soon. Brian Billick gets a lot of credit for being an offensive genius, but as a HC all of his accomplishments were due to the great D on that team. I'm really hoping for a new semi unknown with great potential , rather than a recycled coach. And why the fascination with Fisher and Del Rio, we played against those guys for years and dominated them for years.