Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Head Coaching Candidates [Mega-merge]

LUVTHESHOE

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't be Billick. I heard him the other day w/ Denny Green talking about the Colts and both of them questioned Irsay for firing Polian and hiring an unknown. Neither one of them even knew his name. They both mispronounced Grigson and (I thought) were making fun of Indy's hire.

so caldwell got the ax and now we can start the debate about all the retreads evryone is talking about. cowher check, gruden check, wade phillips check, steve the rams suck check, brian billick check. i would just as soon have someone we have never heard of come in here with some fresh ideas. think the bill o brien hiring at penn state. but of all the retreads i would go with billick cause that guy just seems to know football. sometimes he seems almost cocky he is so smart. me personally i hope it doesnt get to that point. good luck to mr caldwell in his future endeavors. go colts!

Is there any other choice? JIMMY HARBAUGH!

Contracts are made to be broken and this is his DREAM JOB re-uniting with Andrew Luck.....

the niners will never let harbaugh out of his contract. if they do the guy running that team will be rolling down the hills of san fran in a car with no breaks being pushed by angry fans

Long list, but will say one thing, whether we have Peyton or Luck- would like to see us have an experienced HC. If we have Peyton, don’t want to try to break in a new HC who is new to being a HC as Peyton looks for another SB (believe we made that mistake with Caldwell and cost us a championship). If we have Luck, well, having a rookie QB is hard enough without a rookie HC learning his way as well.

Listed in my futile order of belief that they will be considered (not who I would like to see hired)…

Current Assts/College Coaches

Marty Mornhinweg (don’t really want him, but real possibility. Maybe a few years with Andy Reid has helped him…????)

Winston Moss, Asst HC Green Bay Packers-

Jim Tressel- (don’t laugh- we didn’t like Caldwell because he didn’t feel like a winner, Tressel brims with confidence and is a good game-day coach… don’t think he will get it, but would be interesting to explore)

Kirk Ferentz

Chuck Pagano- Ravens DC

Chip Kelly- HC Oregon

Mike Zimmer

Perry Fewell

Tom Clements- Packers QB coach

Jim Leavitt (big flyer here, but while we are guessing… SF linebackers coach, was pretty successful as college HC @ South Florida & has connections with Colts through Dungy)

Pepper Johnson- Patriots Asst

Bruce Arians- Pitt OC

Todd Bowles- Miami Asst/Interim HC

Jim Haslett- DC Wash

Past Head Coaches

Bill Billick (believe he might get serious consideration if Irsay is looking for exp HC…and really would like to see them at least talk to him)

John Gruden

Todd Haley (don’t know why, just sounds like the kind of “out of the blue” name)

In a dream world, I'd say get Bill Cowher. Strong leadership, defensive minded coach, good character. However, I'm afraid it's a massive long shot :(

Gruden would be my least favourite choice. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything intelligent come out of his mouth. I want some other team to hire him as their hc so I don't have to listen to his inane comments anymore.

Chuck Pagano- Ravens DC

Mike Zimmer - Bengals DC

Tom Clements- Packers QB coach

will be my top 3 candidates.

Brian Billick will be the big name candidate I would like them to pursue.

If Steve Spags is going to be DC, I expect someone like a Brian Billick to be pursued to get into a head coaching job again.

One thing I'm noticing is a lot of people don't seem to like the idea of Tressel taking over. As a non College Football fan I was curious as to why?

He seems to have done a heck of a job at Ohio, of was he just a great recruter?

He is a great recruiter, as well as a game manager. The players ALL loved the guy.

All the hate that people on the board have for him, amazes me.

All he did in his last two head coaching positions was WIN.

He does go a bit conservative at times but the guy is a heckuva coach

He held back on sharing info about a player selling a Jersey.

He didnt molest children

He didnt pay players to come to Ohio State

He didnt give free stuff to families

He didnt do anything illegal

He was not 100% truthful. He was trying to protect a poor decision made by his player

He chose the wrong way to go about it.

Tressel is at least as good as other NFL coaches that came from big time College teams

I get the feeling that he isnt going to be considered.

I would be happy with Wade Phillips, and a strong OC.

That could work

Gruden I think the ONLY way he coaches us if it Peyton comes back.

Why Gruden?

He benefited from a Tony Dungy built team that he ran into the ground.

He was "OK" in Oakland, but not spectacular.

I dont see what he would bring

Cower and then Phillips would be my top 2 choices

I don't know who, but I say Irsay and Grigson should do like they did with the GM spot. Cast a wide net and pick out the best. Don't lock in and don't narrow your search to only past coaches.

I want to say Steve Mariucci should be interviewed, but I remember the Joey Harrington fiasco. That's a complicated one. He was surrounded by a ton of receivers... who almost all went on to bust. He had no line, either. At the end of the day, though, I have to wonder how much of that was Matt Millen being super inept.

Why Gruden?

He benefited from a Tony Dungy built team that he ran into the ground.

He was "OK" in Oakland, but not spectacular.

I dont see what he would bring

Cower and then Phillips would be my top 2 choices

I did not say I wanted Gruden I was just saying Gruden would only agree to coach us if Peyton was healthy. I said that cause his name is coming up ALOT. Me personally agree about Cower hes my top pick

Wade Phillips turned one of the worst defenses in the NFL to one of the best this season. And Peyton Manning is just a joke lol :)

I would have no problem with him as the D Coordinator....He has been an Epic fail as a HC in both Buffalo and Dallas.

FANTASTIC NEWS JC GONE! Wonder if based on GM say or Irsay's call? Now on to speculate who the new HC may be- Perhaps Packer OC?

I really dont understand why ppl are wondering about that... Irsay has said he has the veto powers but that is rarely used and he has already stated that he will be the one handeling peyton's issue... other than that the GM does what every GM does... Jim Irsay was a GM before he wouldnt need one if he wanted to make the decisions.

With that said I think the HC the colts are gonna get is either spags or a young coach.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 17, 2012 - offensive
Hidden by Nadine, January 17, 2012 - offensive

Considering a steaming turd would have had more presence on the sidelines than our previous "coach," I'll be excited about whoever we bring in. We literally can't do any worse so it's a guaranteed upgrade at a vital position.

In a dream world, I'd say get Bill Cowher. Strong leadership, defensive minded coach, good character. However, I'm afraid it's a massive long shot :(

Gruden would be my least favourite choice. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything intelligent come out of his mouth. I want some other team to hire him as their hc so I don't have to listen to his inane comments anymore.

I'm sorry for everyone that wants Bill. He isn't a good head coach at all. You have to do some research and you'll find out that Dick Lebeau is the mastermind behind the Steelers success. I've put this in another thread but in the 90's when Dick left the team Bill did nothing until 2004 when Dick came back. Wikipedia it if you want to. I'd consider having Dick Lebeau coach the team, but I can't stand the Stealers.

Van Nuys is like three hours from San Diego. There's a perfectly good airport in San Diego for him to fly in to. And there's John Wayne in Orange County, about one hour away. And LAX, about two hours away. And a dozen in between.

Agreed - but a Chargers coach could live there. What about a complete unknown name like John Ramsdell, QB coach for the Chargers? He was the Rams QB coach at the same time Grigson was a scout in St. Louis. And Ramsdell is from Indiana - at least was born there. Just like Grigson. And if you're going to draft a franchise QB, why not start with a guy who helped Kurt Warner and Rivers? Caldwell was a QB coach for us before moving up to Assistant Head Coach and then Head Coach. Pure speculation on my part, but if Irsay's plane was sent to Van Nuys and returned to Indy immediately, and we know where Grigson and Irsay were today, someone came back on the flight in all likelihood. Van Nuys is functionally a suburb of LA, so we could start looking at USC, UCLA, and those kinds of places too. Can't be Mora, Jr. though (just got hired, and the Colts can't hire the son of a former coach having just fired the son of the real GM dad in the Polians), and Kiffin has a chance to win a national championship with USC this year, so doubt he'd go. And for the record, Mora Jr and Kiffin would make me long for the days of Caldwell....

I'm sorry for everyone that wants Bill. He isn't a good head coach at all. You have to do some research and you'll find out that Dick Lebeau is the mastermind behind the Steelers success. I've put this in another thread but in the 90's when Dick left the team Bill did nothing until 2004 when Dick came back. Wikipedia it if you want to. I'd consider having Dick Lebeau coach the team, but I can't stand the Stealers.

I like Bill Cowher, but I too think he's a bit overrated as a head coach, mostly due to LeBeau's great defense. Could do a lot worse, though. And he can definitely put together a coaching staff.

That's the Dallas recipe. Didn't work. I think it's pretty well established that Wade Phillips is not a good head coach.

Wade Phillips looks like a goober....... but

The guy is a known defensive coach.

Once again he quickly showed that he could turn a defense around.

If we could field 90% of the offense that we have had in the past, and a Wade Phillips defense.....

We could win well

Dallas has 2 huge problems....... I live here

The owner who forced players like TO and other nut cases on the coach., and Tony Romo, who cant play so well in December and January

I have a whole list

• Peyton Manning
  • Jim Tressel
  • Mike Zimmer
  • Rob Chudzinski
  • Brian Billick
  • Wade Phillips

Take Wade off that list. He is a great coordinator, but not much of a head coach. Tressel has no NFL experience. I'm not sure what the hubub is about Tressel...though, to be fair, I don't follow college ball too closely. Take off Peyton too, he will be too busy playing

Agreed - but a Chargers coach could live there. What about a complete unknown name like John Ramsdell, QB coach for the Chargers? He was the Rams QB coach at the same time Grigson was a scout in St, Louis. And Ramsdell is from Indiana - at least was born there. Just tlike Grigson. And if you're going to draft a franchise QB, why not start with a guy who helped Kurt Warner and Rivers? Caldwell was a QB coach for us before moving up to Assistant Head Coach and then Head Coach. Pure speculation on my part, but if Irsay's plane was sent to Van Nuys and returned to Indy immediately, and we know where Grigson and Irsay were today, someone came back on the flight in all likelihood. Van Nuys is functionally a suburb of LA, so we could start looking at USC, UCLA, and those kinds of places too. Can't be Mora, Jr. though (just got hired, and the Colts can't hire the son of a former coach having just fired the son of the real GM dad in the Polians), and Kiffin has a chance to win a national championship with USC this year, so doubt he'd go. And for the record, Mora Jr and Kiffin would make me long for the days of Caldwell....

I suppose so, but that's a pretty serious drive from Van Nuys to San Diego. Maybe an offseason home for someone else, anyone else. Some really nice and pricey areas out that way. Also, a bit of trivia, Van Nuys High School is where Fast Times at Ridgemont High was filmed.

I'd like a coordinator, honestly. Game management experience and so on. Guys like Singletary and Caldwell were never coordinators, and their game management was always questionable. Not to say that a position coach can't have a great grasp for game management (John Harbaugh, etc.), but coordinators usually are more involved in situational decisions and gameplanning. So they're more groomed for the big job. Just my personal bias.

About Kiffin, I think he's a good head coach. I just don't like that he calls plays as a head coach. Too many hats. Agreed on Mora Jr.