Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griff Whalen needs to see the field more as a WR

RockThatBlue

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whalen sure is a valuable, reliable target on 3rd downs (and 4th downs) to move the chains...a much better option than Andre. Whalen has that quick little move to get open and great hands.

Much better option than Andre? Did you notice that once the offense got going AJ was the most reliable target/threat?

He's not bad, but he's no elite WR either. Let's reign in the expectations for him.

We've gone some years without an Aaron Moorehead/Roy Hall/Mike Hart. (Stanley Jean-Baptiese and Tim Fugger tried real hard, but never made that fever pitch so they only get an honorable mention.)

We should strive to keep it that way.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste was a corner drafted by the Saints and is now on the Lions. You're thinking of Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, defensive tackle from Baylor!

One hand slipped?  The ball didn't move.  He had two hands on the ball and while the ball did touch the ground it did not move.  There was not enough evidence (IMO) to overturn the call on the field.

When the zoomed in you could clearly see his hand at the tip/crown of the ball and the ball touching the ground when the defender tackled him, Even the commentators saw it and mentioned it as well. Am i upset that they didn't make the right call? Absolutely not because they gave the Panthers plenty of breaks. He caught a break. 

When the zoomed in you could clearly see his hand at the tip/crown of the ball and the ball touching the ground when the defender tackled him, Even the commentators saw it and mentioned it as well. Am i upset that they didn't make the right call? Absolutely not because they gave the Panthers plenty of breaks. He caught a break. 

The commentators can be wrong plenty of times.  Heck, there's times where there is a blatant fall that they totally gloss over.

The only thing that matters is if he has control of the ball when the ball touches the ground.  He did.  It wasn't rolling about freely.  There was not enough visual evidence to overturn the call as called.  Had they called it the other way on the field, they probably couldn't have overturned it that way either.

Keep him off special teams, but he needs to be in the offense more. He never drops anything, and he made some huge clutch catches last night. Yes, he made those catches against a clearly softer defense, but he kept getting open which is more than we can say for our other receivers and Luck has a ton of trust in him.

He has a history of getting 7 yards when we need 9 because.... da ta da da.... he can`t drive ANYONE off of him. Yes the D was soft and He was out of bounds on his big play.

Sad part is 75% of the people praising him right now will say how horrible he is once he does something wrong. I've always been a huge fan of him and have caught alot of flak for it. If he gets the chance he will shine

You and me both, I got suspended for a heated discussion about him. Lol what a joke.

He has a history of getting 7 yards when we need 9 because.... da ta da da.... he can`t drive ANYONE off of him. Yes the D was soft and He was out of bounds on his big play.

He has a history of knowing where the 1st down marker is and making first downs. He has a history of making clutch catches when we need them, he has a history of catching mostly all of the horrible passes Luck throws his way.

You and me both, I got suspended for a heated discussion about him. Lol what a joke.

I have no idea how man arguments I've gotten in about him since I've been a member of this forum rofl he works hard man, see it every year in training camp

I think that Whalen could be quite effective if used like how the Pats use(d) Julian Edelman (Wes Welker).  I mean, I thought that was how they were going to utilize Dorsett, but Whalen has indeed always been effective when used like this.

I mean, if it were up to me and Dorsett were healthy, I'd be thinking that our receivers would be Hilton and Moncrief on the outside and Dorsett used as the slot guy.  Sub in Johnson / Whalen.  Use these guys effectively like the Pats do as your quick hitter guys and check down guys.

Hopefully our sucky route tree design will drastically improve under Chud to properly take advantage of our receiving talent (including our TEs) and to help protect Luck, instead of all this deep route, 5 to 7 step drop back baloney.

whalen would be a 100 catch wr in the pats offense

As much as I love Griff....

He's now Welker...   he's not Edelman...   he's not Amondola...

He's not even close to them athletically....

He's open as much as he is because the top defenders are busy covering our best WR's.

If Whalen was suddenly our #1,  he'd quickly disappear,  taken out by the top CB we faced.

Remember,  when he played more the last two years due to injuries to other players,   he didn't do all that well.    Because teams paid more attention to him.

He's good in a limited roll.     But as a featured WR?     I don't think he'd cut it.....

Just a much different perspective.....   (from the Stanford guy...)

The timing at Stanford's pro day is hand time.    

The timing at the combine,  is fully electronic....   like the Olympics.

Hand times are much faster than fully electronic.

So, Griff's time is faster than it would have been if it had been fully electronically timed.

So,  you can ADD the time,  not subtract.

As much as I love Griff....

He's now Welker...   he's not Edelman...   he's not Amondola...

He's not even close to them athletically....

He's open as much as he is because the top defenders are busy covering our best WR's.

If Whalen was suddenly our #1,  he'd quickly disappear,  taken out by the top CB we faced.

Remember,  when he played more the last two years due to injuries to other players,   he didn't do all that well.    Because teams paid more attention to him.

He's good in a limited roll.     But as a featured WR?     I don't think he'd cut it.....

Just a much different perspective.....   (from the Stanford guy...)

I don't think ANYBODY is suggesting that he should be our number 1.  But as a number 4 guy, he can be quite effective if the Colts' play structure evolves to take advantage of what he brings, much in the way that NE uses/used Edelman / Welker.

I don't think ANYBODY is suggesting that he should be our number 1.  But as a number 4 guy, he can be quite effective if the Colts' play structure evolves to take advantage of what he brings, much in the way that NE uses/used Edelman / Welker.

Look up at CR91's post.

Said Whalen would be a 100 catch WR in the Patriots system.

I'm respectfully disagreeing with this as much as possible.

As a 4th, 5th WR,  I've got no problem with Griff.

Look up at CR91's post.

Said Whalen would be a 100 catch WR in the Patriots system.

I'm respectfully disagreeing with this as much as possible.

As a 4th, 5th WR,  I've got no problem with Griff.

Exactly. That's hopefully where Griff stays, too. He's serviceable enough for his role, and that's about it.

No offense to Griff but I wish we would use more two and three TE sets with Dorsett out. With Fleener and Allen we can do a lot of multiple things like run to either side or motion Allen into the backfield. They also receive really well so I feel like we can run or throw out of it. Plus I like them chipping on rushers to give Andrew more time (think Houston game). Griff is a possession receiver...nice kid...plays hard...not a threat. I think he plays faster then he is because he knows this offense inside and out due to his time in Stanford. Install a new offense next year and I'm not sure he plays as instinctual and quick...probably doesn't make the team.

The timing at Stanford's pro day is hand time.

The timing at the combine, is fully electronic.... like the Olympics.

Hand times are much faster than fully electronic.

So, Griff's time is faster than it would have been if it had been fully electronically timed.

So, you can ADD the time, not subtract.

You didn't look at the article did you? Some people had him at 4.52.

Regardless, .07 is nothing. They are all 4.5 runners, and even if it's 4.6 it still doesn't make a significant difference.

You're nitpicking. The numbers are the same for them all, which was my point.