Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Did The Colts Not Elevate Duron Carter To The Active Roster?

AmberDerrow

What are your thoughts Quan Bray over Duron Carter?

Colts.com Beat Writer, Kevin Bowen, had this to say:

Bowen: We had several questions this week regarding the Colts bringing up Carter or even re-signing Wayne to the 53-man roster. On Tuesday afternoon, the Colts elevated undrafted rookie Quan Brayicon-article-link.gif from the practice. The addition of Bray gives the Colts five healthy wide receivers on their active roster withPhillip Dorsetticon-article-link.gif out for at least a month. Bray, an Auburn product, was a player the Colts staff loved during the offseason program. While Bray struggled to make an impact at wide receiver during the preseason, he does bring special teams return ability to the active roster, which he showed in August/September. If Griff Whalenicon-article-link.gif can take the 20-25 percent of offensive reps Dorsett was getting, look for Bray to fill more of a special teams role on the active roster. I would say the special teams difference is a major reason why Bray was brought up over Carter.

I would have to agree. Seeing that Griff will probably take the snaps Dorsett were going to get. Bray will fill in for return duties. He is a far better return man than Carter, so it makes alot of sense. Although i would have liked to see Carter get the nod over Bray from a physical/intangible aspect. but truthfully we are only looking at maybe at most 10-15 snaps a game if that.

Bray probably has a better chance of going unclaimed and returning to the practice squad when Dorsett is healthy. I have to imagine if Carter gets called up it'll be for the long haul, although he did go unclaimed prior to Week 1. But yeah, mainly because Bray can allegedly catch and hold onto punt and kick returns. 

Bray probably has a better chance of going unclaimed and returning to the practice squad when Dorsett is healthy. I have to imagine if Carter gets called up it'll be for the long haul, although he did go unclaimed prior to Week 1. But yeah, mainly because Bray can allegedly catch and hold onto punt and kick returns. 

If there is a team that is interested in Carter, they would have already signed him IMO.

because they paid Andre Johnson for the same amount of production they could have gotten from Carter. Grigson is trying to hide it.

And Reggie would have given us LEADERSHIP and MORE production than the useless Johnson and a load of positive emotional boost to a team that needs it.  We signed Johnson for what?  3 years? How much dead money will we have when he isn't on our roster next year?  That was another terrible signing.  Reggie is out there, work him out.  We need guys who can catch and who can get open on the short routes.  He doesn't need speed, he just needs to be a possession receiver.   I called for Bradshaw all season, perhaps we should start calling for Reggie.  Now I know he isn't a special teamer, and I agree we need one, so nuke Whalen, bring in Reggie.  

And Reggie would have given us LEADERSHIP and MORE production than the useless Johnson and a load of positive emotional boost to a team that needs it. We signed Johnson for what? 3 years? How much dead money will we have when he isn't on our roster next year? That was another terrible signing. Reggie is out there, work him out. We need guys who can catch and who can get open on the short routes. He doesn't need speed, he just needs to be a possession receiver. I called for Bradshaw all season, perhaps we should start calling for Reggie. Now I know he isn't a special teamer, and I agree we need one, so nuke Whalen, bring in Reggie.

Johnson has been open underneath a lot this year. To quote Gisele, he can't throw it and catch it

in addition to the special teamer angle, if again cut, then he again has to clear waivers.  I think Bray is more likely to clear than Carter.  I think it was the smart move, as Bray may be a temporary add.

Edit:  And I see this point was already made.  Sorry for the redundancy.

in addition to the special teamer angle, if again cut, then he again has to clear waivers. I think Bray is more likely to clear than Carter. I think it was the smart move, as Bray may be a temporary add.

Practice squad players can be signed to anther team at any time. If a team wanted carter, they could sign him at any time.

And Reggie would have given us LEADERSHIP and MORE production than the useless Johnson and a load of positive emotional boost to a team that needs it. We signed Johnson for what? 3 years? How much dead money will we have when he isn't on our roster next year? That was another terrible signing. Reggie is out there, work him out. We need guys who can catch and who can get open on the short routes. He doesn't need speed, he just needs to be a possession receiver. I called for Bradshaw all season, perhaps we should start calling for Reggie. Now I know he isn't a special teamer, and I agree we need one, so nuke Whalen, bring in Reggie.

Bradshaw has done nothing except continue Chucks normal theory of sticking with old guys while not allowing young/rookies to develope.

Bradshaw has done nothing except continue Chucks normal theory of sticking with old guys while not allowing young/rookies to develope.

He was killer last year, but they apparently forgot how to use him and our two tight ends who collectively averaged a TD per game.  Have they scored this year? I think Fleener once.   They just need to throw the ball in check downs to him for 5-10 yards or more a pop.  They threw it to Gore multiple times and he dropped it.  We need check downs to both backs and TE crossing routes. 

Hopefully we are making personnel decisions to win games now, not by who's less likely to be lost from ps.

He was killer last year, but they apparently forgot how to use him and our two tight ends who collectively averaged a TD per game. Have they scored this year? I think Fleener once. They just need to throw the ball in check downs to him for 5-10 yards or more a pop. They threw it to Gore multiple times and he dropped it. We need check downs to both backs and TE crossing routes.

Agreed, check downs, screens, TE usage have all been missing since week one. To me another continually yearly mistake that Chuck makes is he's to loyal towards his vets. I feel Robinson is a very capable first team back if given the opportunities, similar to Dorsett not seeing the field enough (although hurt now). Bradshaw is OK but nothing extra to what we already have in a much younger backup that now will not get snaps show his skills. This mentality creates false needs at RB in next years draft therefore wasting picks.

He was killer last year, but they apparently forgot how to use him and our two tight ends who collectively averaged a TD per game.  Have they scored this year? I think Fleener once.   They just need to throw the ball in check downs to him for 5-10 yards or more a pop.  They threw it to Gore multiple times and he dropped it.  We need check downs to both backs and TE crossing routes. 

Allen scored against the Bills. He's been pretty much non-existent since then.

I think Colts are really overrating special team players. I mean how hard is it to tackle someone?  Carter have the same 40 yard time as Bray clocking at 4.5. Plus with 6'5 height, I rather have Carter out there for situations when opposing special team are doing onside kicks. 

I agree with some people on this thread. Carter would have been our Andre Johnson this year(maybe even better).  Why pay big money for an aging WR when we already have a big tall young WR at our disposable. 

I think Colts are really overrating special team players. I mean how hard is it to tackle someone? Carter have the same 40 yard time as Bray clocking at 4.5. Plus with 6'5 height, I rather have Carter out there for situations when opposing special team are doing onside kicks.

I agree with some people on this thread. Carter would have been our Andre Johnson this year(maybe even better). Why pay big money for an aging WR when we already have a big tall young WR at our disposable.

What does tackling someone have to do with Bray being used as a returner?

What does tackling someone have to do with Bray being used as a returner?

If he is being use as a returner than that is a different story. I thought Whalen would take most of all Punts/Kickoffs return snaps. If we bring in Bray just to block for Whalen and tackle people on ST than I rather have Carter. 

If he is being use as a returner than that is a different story. I thought Whalen would take most of all Punts/Kickoffs return snaps. If we bring in Bray just to block for Whalen and tackle people on ST than I rather have Carter.

Bray was a return man in college. He's most likely taking Whalen's job since he had 3 fumbles last week.

Practice squad players can be signed to anther team at any time. If a team wanted carter, they could sign him at any time.

I do think, however, that the colts would have the option to match the offer if they wanted to. That would of course also mean they'd have to release someone to make room on the 53.

One of these days people are going to have to realize Carter isn't that good right now. People make it seem like he's a guaranteed star just waiting to take the league by storm.

imo I think carter is in the best place right now. because if he were to try to run with this offense he'd surely get the boot before anyone can see how truly talented he is. so I think the best op is to wait out the rest of this season (Fire Pep) get a new oc that can actually work with all the wr's then we can see just how good carter really is

I don't know. I mean Carter's raw, but I do think the kid has a crap load of talent. He may not be ready to contribute until next year though.

Probably what the thinking is....he makes the 53 after Andre is let go at year end...meanwhile he learns the O and improves his route-running.

The funny thing is...Carter can probably out-play Andre right now...(which isn't saying much) LOL.

Agreed, check downs, screens, TE usage have all been missing since week one. To me another continually yearly mistake that Chuck makes is he's to loyal towards his vets. I feel Robinson is a very capable first team back if given the opportunities, similar to Dorsett not seeing the field enough (although hurt now). Bradshaw is OK but nothing extra to what we already have in a much younger backup that now will not get snaps show his skills. This mentality creates false needs at RB in next years draft therefore wasting picks.

could it be luck has trouble lofting a short pass over the d-line? he has a lot of passes batted down

I think Colts are really overrating special team players. I mean how hard is it to tackle someone? Carter have the same 40 yard time as Bray clocking at 4.5. Plus with 6'5 height, I rather have Carter out there for situations when opposing special team are doing onside kicks.

I agree with some people on this thread. Carter would have been our Andre Johnson this year(maybe even better). Why pay big money for an aging WR when we already have a big tall young WR at our disposable.

andre johnson is a borderline hof player

Carter is lazy and terrible

could it be luck has trouble lofting a short pass over the d-line? he has a lot of passes batted down

Possibly, if his shoulder is still fudged up.  I was watching a breakdown by Bucky via NFL.com which was posted by a fellow forum member and there is a possibility that Luck's arm isn't the same as it as in years past POSSIBLY due to injury.  Normally Luck should be fine with passing over the DL with the exception of a few batted down passes.  Last week it did look ugly though but could've been an anomaly and it was only on a couple plays.  Even if that's the case, short floaters over the DL should be something one would think he would be fine with even with a partially injured shoulder.  In the end your guess is as good as mine :thmup: .

Timing would probably be just as critical as strength in this case.

We signed Johnson for what?  3 years? How much dead money will we have when he isn't on our roster next year?  That was another terrible signing.  Reggie is out there, work him out.    

I think AJ's contract is basically structured as a two year deal with very little dead money if cut.  That has been Grigson's method with free agents with the exception of Cherilous and Landry.

I don't understand the hype on Carter, obviously he is not ready for the NFL, Quan Bray not only provides the ST aspects but overall is a better player at this point. I don't see Carter on the roster at all next season (PS included). He will most likely be back here in Canada