Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts make Roster Moves

TKnight24

I skipped a heart beat as I was thinking we sign a QB. This move makes sense given the comments on injured LBs. No offense to Thigpin, but Griff has been solid enough, albeit not spectacular.

So did I, thought Luck may of been ruled out for Sunday Night. Thank goodness that's not the case. I actually like this news. I wanted to see Herrara get some sort of playing time this year and it looks like we'll get the chance.

So did I, thought Luck may of been ruled out for Sunday Night. Thank goodness that's not the case. I actually like this news. I wanted to see Herrara get some sort of playing time this year and it looks like we'll get the chance.

We do not want to see him get his first PT vs the Pats.

Well, if they thought he was better than Whalen, would not Whalen then be considered the least valuable?

No, because Whalen has been on the team for four years and provides value as a special teamer and knows the routes so he can play WR in the case of an emergency. Thigpen offered nothing else but the ability to return punts and kicks in a league where a majority of kickoffs result in touch backs. They may have thought he was a better kick returner than Whalen, but no way Thigpen knows the offense like Whalen does. Cutting Whalen over Thigpen would make no sense and his roster spot was never in danger in this scenario.

I guess Freeman and Irving will be out Sunday. If McNary starts he better not be on Gronk at at any time.. Dion Lewis might have a big day if he plays.

Sio Moore would start I think, Irving and Moore played a lot last week while McNary hardly played unless I missed him. Moore probably should play a lot, he's our most athletic LB and has the best chance of covering Gronk and Lewis in open spaces, outside of Geathers of course but he's pretty much a safety playing the LB spot on passing downs. 

No, because Whalen has been on the team for four years and provides value as a special teamer and knows the routes so he can play WR in the case of an emergency. Thigpen offered nothing else but the ability to return punts and kicks in a league where a majority of kickoffs result in touch backs. They may have thought he was a better kick returner than Whalen, but no way Thigpen knows the offense like Whalen does. Cutting Whalen over Thigpen would make no sense and his roster spot was never in danger in this scenario.

So in other words Whalen wins again.

Thanks for playing it's been fun.

So in other words Whalen wins again.

Thanks for playing it's been fun.

Technically yes he "wins" by default. Griff's job is not on the line this season because he is a good reserve WR in our offense as he knows the entire playbook. We all can act like Whalen is an all-pro kick and punt returner, but we all know that isn't the case. He is serviceable, but we could upgrade. Thigpen very well could give us a better KR and PR, but he doesn't have the value of Whalen's knowledge with our offensive playbook. That is why he got the ax for a reserve linebacker. I wouldn't doubt it that once we get healthy that we bring Thigpen back for return duties over Whalen.

Griff wins again!

Now let's just allow him to do his job and leave it alone. 

Yeah, for awhile there, I wanted better speed & elusiveness in our return game, but now, I'm come to accept Griff as a longterm fixture @ LOS & I'm cool with that because he always secures the catch before running & he's good nice hands. Plus, I like the kid. He's never gonna embarrass the organization off the field either. Whalen is solid & there's nothing wrong with that to me. 

We all can act like Whalen is an all-pro kick and punt returner, but we all know that isn't the case.

This ranks as one of the most bizarre statements I have ever read on a Colts board.

No one has ever mentioned Griff Whalen as an All-Pro talent.

:pokerface:  

The bus you rode to school was a little shorter than the other kids' in your neighborhood wasn't it?

Are you sure you're a realtor? You must not know neighborhoods very well, cause you missed by a school zone with that shot. Coffeedrinker is one of the most knowledgeable Colts fans I know. And I know this because I have often agreed and disagreed with him over the past 10-15 years on Colts boards. 

Sio Moore would start I think, Irving and Moore played a lot last week while McNary hardly played unless I missed him. Moore probably should play a lot, he's our most athletic LB and has the best chance of covering Gronk and Lewis in open spaces, outside of Geathers of course but he's pretty much a safety playing the LB spot on passing downs. 

McNary got 20 snaps last week.  He definitely played but didn't get any tackles.  I remember seeing him in the area a few times.

He was definitely more active against the Titans.

I would like to see Moore, Moore, Mooore (for all of you Andrea True fans) this week.

Are you sure you're a realtor? You must not know neighborhoods very well, cause you missed by a school zone with that punch. Coffeedrinker is one of the most knowledgeable Colts fans I know. And I know this because I have often agreed and disagreed with him over the past 10-15 years on Colts boards. 

Oh, well now that he has your seal of approval I'm ashamed of myself. How could I ever make the mistake of questioning your opinions, thy holy armchair quarterbacks! Please forgive me sir!!!! I don't know how I could be a silly as to poke fun at a man who thought he won a non-existent argument.

Oh, well now that he has your seal of approval I'm ashamed of myself. How could I ever make the mistake of questioning your opinions, thy holy armchair quarterbacks! Please forgive me sir!!!! I don't know how I could be a silly as to poke fun at a man who thought he won a non-existent argument.

His position was implied, and clear to understand. You shot a personal attack at him for no reason. And to make matters worse, you called one of the most knowledgeable Colts fans to ever post on a Colts board, stupid.

You're not going to get a lot of credibility that way.

But they already have Whalen, who many here think is a future Welker or Edelman. So why would they bring in a guy to mimic another guy when they already have a guy who is the next version of that guy?

giphy.gif

Yeah, Whalen is not going to win any shake and bake awards. He knows how to get some separation, but his skill-set is good decision making and excellent hands. 

This ranks as one of the most bizarre statements I have ever read on a Colts board.

No one has ever mentioned Griff Whalen as an All-Pro talent.

:pokerface:  

No offense, then you must not spend much time on a Colts board if this ranks. Second you must not of understood it how I meant it which is my bad. It was a comment to help strike home a point. A previous poster commented that Griff "won" the return job over Thigpen. Which we don't know if that was the case. I was just clarifying that Whalen is a serviceable returner, but nothing special definitely not an all-pro. He can be replaced as a returner. However, with his through knowledge of the offensive playbook he isn't going anywhere due to his value as a depth receiver.

No offense, then you must not spend much time on a Colts board if this ranks. Second you must not of understood it how I meant it which is my bad. It was a comment to help strike home a point. A previous poster commented that Griff "won" the return job over Thigpen. Which we don't know if that was the case. I was just clarifying that Whalen is a serviceable returner, but nothing special definitely not an all-pro. He can be replaced as a returner. However, with his through knowledge of the offensive playbook he isn't going anywhere due to his value as a depth receiver.

You said, "We all can act like Whalen is an all-pro kick and punt returner, but we all know that isn't the case."

That is a bizarre statement because I had never heard anyone mention Whalen in the same area code of an All-Pro.

Truth is, we do not know where Griff ranks on the 53. We are just guessing. We do know that he keeps finding a roster spot. I have learned not to bet against him. It is to the point now where I would have been surprised had he not made the 53 this year. Even when so many others believed he was the odd man out. 

You said, "We all can act like Whalen is an all-pro kick and punt returner, but we all know that isn't the case."

That is a bizarre statement because I had never heard anyone mention Whalen in the same area code of an All-Pro.

Truth is, we do not know where Griff ranks on the 53. We are just guessing. We do know that he keeps finding a roster spot. I have learned not to bet against him. It is to the point now where I would have been surprised had he not made the 53 this year. Even when so many others believed he was the odd man out. 

Yes I shouldn't of used WE. I should of used YOU. Like I said in my previous post that was my bad. I make mistakes as I am human haha. You are also correct that no one has referred to him as an All-Pro to my knowledge. However, the way the earlier poster was defending Whalen as our return man you would think he was an All-Pro contender. I believe the earlier poster was coffeedrinker of which I agree with a lot and value his opinion as a poster. I just don't agree that Whalen clearly won the return job over Thigpen because we don't know. Who knows I may have misunderstood him as well.

Doesn't the bold cancel out the beginning statement though?

I like your last summary. It is completely correct IMO.

Yeah, for awhile there, I wanted better speed & elusiveness in our return game, but now, I'm come to accept Griff as a longterm fixture @ LOS & I'm cool with that because he always secures the catch before running & he's good nice hands. Plus, I like the kid. He's never gonna embarrass the organization off the field either. Whalen is solid & there's nothing wrong with that to me. 

Whalen just seems to fight for every extra yard he can and catches most everything thrown his way. That's what I love about the guy, the same way A Bradshaw does running the ball. Plays with "full steam ahead" mentality and heart

I think we're all in agreeance that Whalen is worthy of a roster spot and we're arguing over whether his spot was ever actually in danger. Which it wasn't. Whalen is overrated by many but he does have a role on this team. That's that, now let's move on, shall we?

I think you should apologize to coffee drinker.

I think we're all in agreeance that Whalen is worthy of a roster spot and we're arguing over whether his spot was ever actually in danger. Which it wasn't. Whalen is overrated by many but he does have a role on this team. That's that, now let's move on, shall we?

As a realtor you should be billing Grif as he appears to be living rent free in your head.

Maybe Moore can knock Brady out of the game?