Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there no OL player we can trade for?

They best way to build the o-line moving forward is through the draft, and possibly through FA, but mostly the draft. At this point, riding out the season with what they already have on the roster is the practical thing to do. Hindsight is always 20/20, but they could have already had a couple quality interior offensive linemen, had they not blown their past 2 (or 3, depending on how you look at it) 1st round draft picks. They're basically reaping what they've sown, sorry to say. 

Teams that are looking to pick high in the draft to get a QB might be willing to part with a quality Ol for a price. New Orleans got a pro bowl center from Seattle, they might want to part with him. Cleveland has Erving are an extra, they might be willing to part with a quality OL to help use that pick as a tool for the 2016 draft.

The issue is thAt you not only have to give up the pick, but you have to make room for a large contract, meaning cuts..

Saints are having problems on their O-Line as well, and Erving is in Cleveland to replace Alex Mack next year IMO. I don't think any of them are going anywhere.

I would like to see the same O-line this week as last week.  We were able to get TEs and RBs out in short pass game as they didn't have to help Mewhort.   Yes there mistakes, but we had a better run game and a better pocket in passing game.

I say let it ride another week.

I'm not ready to give up on Thornton yet.  Yes, he had too many holding calls - 1-2 were questionable in the eyes of many.  The Colts successfully ran right throughout the game behind Thornton and Rietz.  I think that there is something there if he and Rietz can stay healthy.  That's a big "if" for both of them.

Thornton has been out for quite some time.  He was ok when he was in.  What I mean is that he wasn't terrible in Satele at Center and McGlynn at Guard terrible.  I think he'll be ok with some more reps.   I'm disappointed that Herremans hasn't done well.  I had high hopes for him.  

Well, we could have walk on tryouts... lol...

"Come one, come all! If you're over 6'6 and weigh over 300 lbs, STEP RIGHT UP!! See if you can beat Lance Louis in a wrestling match!!"

my kid is 6'9"/ 340 (and needs a knee replacement and has slow feet). Just being big doesn't make him an NFL Lineman...

I still would rather have our offensive line than the broncos any day. That is one horrible line, and they are only averaging around 2.5 yards per rush. I think we are around 4.75 yards per rush and that is with an 11, two 12 yard runs and a 21 yard run by Luck nullified by phantom holding penalties. Pretty effective run blocking thus far. But we need to throw more.

Very interesting. It's no wonder why they are always the class of the NFL or near the top....constantly trying new things. Whether it be pushing the envelope with those weird formations last year (now banned) or rotating linemen, they do try just about everything to get an edge. I have my own thoughts as to some of it (off field stuff) after reading the ESPN article.....but as for Xs and Os, BB is one of the best in the business.

And yes, the offensive lineman situation in the NFL is bad. College lineman come out from spread formations where they are lined up about 5 feet apart, only asked to hold blocks for 2 seconds, and then take off to lead for the RB or QB. It's all quick passes and runs off the reads. Even the stalwarts like Alabama and Ohio "3 yards and a cloud of dust" State are changing things up. Pro style offenses in college are a dying breed, and the linemen coming out the past 5 years are a reflection of that.

We probably have to deal with this mess this year. But in the offseason it should be a 3 step approach to FIX the OL. Step 1. Sign either Marshall Yanda, Keleche Oseleme, or Ramon Foster. Step 2. Draft best O-Lineman available in 1st round. Step 3. Draft best Center available in the 2nd/3rd round. But if Grigson is in charge he'll probably want to sign some bum to come in and start instead of a bona fide beast like one of the 3 players I mentioned above. Then he'd probably draft a WR or something. But seriously. I think if he's our GM Irsay will step in and make sure we get something done.

If there is it would be great if the Colts explored it but I don't think teams are lining up to give trade away their linemen. 

Honestly about the only thing the Colts can do right now is sign linemen which is sorta like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.  I don't think there is a guy out there who is much better than what they have and they haven't spent the time in the Colts offense like the guys they have now.  So as frustrating as it is the Colts are probably stuck with what they have this season. 

The off-season will be a different story.  They will have a draft pick and free agency to play with.  Hopefully they address the o-line in a significant way, although I don't think the Colts are that far away.  I think the Left Tackle and Guard are in place.  I think Holmes is serviceable at center if they can fix the other part of the line.  So I would like for them to look for a right guard and a right tackle in the off-season. 

Aw, too bad about his knee issues. That's never fun...

I wish him a speedy recovery!

. He's lived with it for 8 years. Took a helmet to the knee that pushed kneecap aside and damaged bone ends. Can't be fixed, just replaced. Doctors won't replace until he's older or it becomes completely unbearable. Still attracted college attention playing on one leg, but gave it up. Now 26; Happily married, with two fantastic sons. Life changes...

We saw when Evan Mathis joined the Broncos late, how hard it was to assimilate him into that Broncos offense and it is still a work in progress. So, adding an OL at this juncture is not wise. Sticking with a specific line up to build continuity is more important. 

For the moment, lean on the run game and TEs to take pressure off Luck, and dial up more 3 step drop plays for him, that should help minimize OL weaknesses, IMO.

That wont work when our WR's and TE's cant get seperation. Hence the amount of INT's already.

Saints are having problems on their O-Line as well, and Erving is in Cleveland to replace Alex Mack next year IMO. I don't think any of them are going anywhere.

That was my point, Cleveland might be willing to part with Mack since they have Erving waiting in the wings. Teams that are falling apart (Chicago, New Orleans, Cleveland, Tampa) might be sellers for picks..

That was my point, Cleveland might be willing to part with Mack since they have Erving waiting in the wings. Teams that are falling apart (Chicago, New Orleans, Cleveland, Tampa) might be sellers for picks..

The problem with that is Mack is going to need a new contract at the end of the season. I don't know if we have the funds to secure him long term, so we will be giving up a good pick for a player that we may not get to keep.

Yes - I hear that the Browns are interested in trading us Joe Thomas and Dallas really wants us to take Zach Martin off their hands - both for conditional 7th rounders.

:facepalm:

You never got back with me, who was the source?  Was it jvan1973?  I looked it up but couldn't see anything... Man we really need a new OL ASAP!!  Since Grigs is so talented I think we should fire him as GM, and bring him back as OT...  I hear he was pretty good at Purdue :)  What do you guys think?

Cherilus was easily our second best o-linemen last year. Like I said, ik he wasn't the best. But beside AC, he's much better then who we have on o-line right now.

I believe his release was not just a function of his play, but his availability in conjunction with his cap impact and the timing of that in relation to the rest of his contract. Taking that all into consideration, it was not a bad move, in my opinion. 

We saw when Evan Mathis joined the Broncos late, how hard it was to assimilate him into that Broncos offense and it is still a work in progress. So, adding an OL at this juncture is not wise. Sticking with a specific line up to build continuity is more important. 

For the moment, lean on the run game and TEs to take pressure off Luck, and dial up more 3 step drop plays for him, that should help minimize OL weaknesses, IMO.

Well said. 

Only five teams have scored fewer points than the Colts this year!! This was supposed to be the year of a super offense. Andre Johnson has caught 7 passes for 51 yards in four games. Luck is on his back and is on track to be the most sacked QB in the league and add his interceptions the Colts look like the Bears this season. Miami just fired their head coach, a stupid move after four weeks but their offensive line is as bad as ours. I am reading posts by Colts fans saying how we are so good and the Colts will crush the pathetic Texans Thursday night, what team are they watching? Even in the weak AFC South the Colts are in trouble. Why can't the Colts build a running attack? Why give Luck a truck load of money to watch him get hammered after so many snaps in every game? I can't even name our linebackers because their names are never called in games because they are not stopping anyone unless the ball is on their own five yard line. I do give credit for some excellent goal line D but why wait until the ball is near the end zone?

I would take a hard look at John Miller from the Bills, and Shaq Mason from the Pats.  Both of these guys are nasty run blockers that fire out in a hurry.  I'd play Mason at guard and not center.  Either one of these guys could be more than just a band-aid.  I don't see any C we could trade for.  Maybe Andy Gallik from the Titans to just be a band-aid and a future backup?