Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nearing the End...Peyton Fighting Father Time

dgambill

Nice article detailing Peyton and the Broncos behind the scenes. Shows what Peyton is going through to continue playing the game he loves and to try to reach that championship plateau one more time. Feel free to comment below. Interesting this was on the Broncos forum and many don't have much good to say...that he is just playing for money and they don't appreciate what he is putting his body through to win. Seems the Oz ship gets new members every day no matter what Peyton does to help the team.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13734150/denver-broncos-qb-peyton-manning-defies-weakening-body-best-brain-nfl

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Peyton would like to go out on a high note. Give fans something memorable before hanging it up. Yes they've managed to get it done abd go 2-0, but at what cost?

Pursuing other avenues at this point in his career where his body is telling him no, but his mind is overriding the voice of reason so to speak.I know he loves this game, but I wonder if he feels obligated or forced to make something happen with nothing. He has nothing to prove though.

Denver fans should actually be grateful to have Peyton under center to establish the new Offense. The Sherriff will eventually have no CHOICE but to hang his hat, hopefully he does it before his health is diminished entirely.

It disgusts me, to say the least, the way he is unappreciated in Denver (by the fans,  not the organization).  Those fans out there have no idea just how much he does, how much time he puts in, and how he teaches the younger players to be better.

They don't deserve him.

btw... great article.  Thanks for posting.

He knows as well as we know, he's not going to win another Super Bowl. They had that opportunity in 2014 when they were favored, and shot up all those stats to break those records, then got in the SB and played like a bunch of musicians that met over a weekend that have never played with each other, and then got on stage and had an epic disaster. That's how bad they looked in that SB, and I don't care about how Seattle was the better team. Denver was favored, and over 70% of people were picking them to win it. No one was saying "Seattle was the better team" before that epic blow out occurred. 

He needs to retire after this season. His arm is gone, and his offensive line is bad enough to get him hurt. Hang it up now while your health is in good condition, instead of risking to permanently damage your body chasing stats. 

He's lucky, very lucky. He's got the stats, he's got a ring, and he's got a legacy. He should be happy and retire at the end of the year. 

He's lucky, very lucky. He's got the stats, he's got a ring, and he's got a legacy. He should be happy and retire at the end of the year. 

Setting aside all the other nonsense you posted, I'd just like to say that Peyton Manning has earned the right to go out on his own terms, not yours.

He knows as well as we know, he's not going to win another Super Bowl. They had that opportunity in 2014 when they were favored, and shot up all those stats to break those records, then got in the SB and played like a bunch of musicians that met over a weekend that have never played with each other, and then got on stage and had an epic disaster. That's how bad they looked in that SB, and I don't care about how Seattle was the better team. Denver was favored, and over 70% of people were picking them to win it. No one was saying "Seattle was the better team" before that epic blow out occurred.

He needs to retire after this season. His arm is gone, and his offensive line is bad enough to get him hurt. Hang it up now while your health is in good condition, instead of risking to permanently damage your body chasing stats.

He still has a better arm and accuracy than brees.

It disgusts me, to say the least, the way he is unappreciated in Denver (by the fans,  not the organization).  Those fans out there have no idea just how much he does, how much time he puts in, and how he teaches the younger players to be better.

They don't deserve him.

I agree.  Peyton made that franchise relevant for the first time in like a decade and they're ready to kick him out.  I have a strong feeling they'll have a losing record once Peyton leaves.

They don't deserve him.

No problem...it was a look at Peyton he doesn't often share...the mortal side if you will. Very interesting to me.

I agree and disagree....I don't think they have the OL to get there but I think he was going to retire after last year until Elway told him if he gave some money back they would build the team around him with Kubiak and Phillips to get them over the top. The defense is legit...that OL is not. I think Peyton convinced himself he would have enough help to go out like Elway but I agree he may end up just getting beat up too much to finish the job. But I do agree he has his legacy and he had a great chance in 2013 if they wouldn't have been so beat up on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think he has as much left in the tank as he thinks but as long as he is put in a position to be successful that team has enough talent to win ball games. I just wish the fans appreciated what he is trying to do. I think he truely believes he has enough talent in him and around him to get one last run at it. For his sake I hope he has a great season and go out with some special Peyton moments. He isn't the same ol Peyton he once was but as the writer said he has the brain to compensate for what his body lacks. The only thing I disagree is that there are other qbs in the league like Brady and a few others that have just as good a football iq as Peyton but they have more body left. Any ways it was a well written article and I think it sheds some more light on Peyton Manning.....not the commercial guy....not the press conference guy...but the guy with an incredible will to play the game he loves no matter the cost.

Oh, it's this again? Goodbye.

What else would it be in a thread about Peyton nearing the end. I did think it had some neat stuff about him after the game and what he is going through. I didn't realize how beat up he was. Maybe its not interesting..but I think some like to hear about probably one of the best Colts of all time and a very popular figure in the Indy area who continues to give back to our community.

What else would it be in a thread about Peyton nearing the end. I did think it had some neat stuff about him after the game and what he is going through. I didn't realize how beat up he was. Maybe its not interesting..but I think some like to hear about probably one of the best Colts of all time and a very popular figure in the Indy area who continues to give back to our community.

The thing is, everyone with a blog and watches football is saying this, just putting the same words in a different order. Getting reaaaaal old. That's why I said it.

The thing is, everyone with a blog and watches football is saying this, just putting the same words in a different order. Getting reaaaaal old. That's why I said it.

Well he discussed a lot about what Peyton goes through after the game...getting undressed and all...it was very visual especially for those that have played football and know how long it takes to get taped up and the feeling of grass sticking to your sweat and the aches....I thought it was nicely written...but you are correct...another article (although this one was very neutral I felt in tone) about Peyton nearing the end.

I appreciated reading the article. Thanks for sharing.

You wrote earlier that the Broncos fans don't have anything good to say about Peyton. Why is that? Do the fans want Ostweiler to start?

The title of the thread makes it sound like he is going to die almost. :pokerface:

Look, when he is done in football he has a lot to look forward to as well. He has two young kids and a family. And he will have a huge amount of post football opportunities too.

And his team is winning right now.

They also stunk it up against us when we met in the playoffs. Their chances aren't getting any better, now that they have a head coaching change with Kubiak. It's hard to win a Superbowl with a change to a head coach for someone, like Peyton, who prides himself on consistency. He got away with it during Caldwell's tenure, only because he was a QB coach and familiar with the Colts.

They don't deserve him.

They don't appreciate him. Wait until he retires and the Broncos become irrelevant. They will then.

Nice article detailing Peyton and the Broncos behind the scenes. Shows what Peyton is going through to continue playing the game he loves and to try to reach that championship plateau one more time. Feel free to comment below. Interesting this was on the Broncos forum and many don't have much good to say...that he is just playing for money and they don't appreciate what he is putting his body through to win. Seems the Oz ship gets new members every day no matter what Peyton does to help the team.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13734150/denver-broncos-qb-peyton-manning-defies-weakening-body-best-brain-nfl

Thanks for posting. That was an interesting read. I did not realize how difficult it is for Manning just to take his uniform and cleats off after a game.

I do wonder what Elway/Kubiak are thinking. Their plan as the author says was for Manning's final years to emulate Elway's final two seasons but that idea was pretty much shot when Manning went back to his Indy offense vs KC. I doubt they have him go completely back to Kubiak's system but yet Kubiak said Denver will run the ball so I guess we will see how it plays out but I think Denver will try to ride Manning playing his offense and hope the defense stays stout.

In terms of the Denver fans, they have never been Manning fans as he is not their QB. They will forever be wed to Elway. The sense I get from reading their boards is the 2012 loss to the Ravens was absolutely heart wrenching even more so then the Hawks blowing them out in the SB so I think they believe the Manning ship has sailed. That being said, most of them get that inserting Brock probably does not bring them any closer to a Super Bowl. It is what it is. The challenges in Denver are pretty intense these day.

I appreciated reading the article. Thanks for sharing.

You wrote earlier that the Broncos fans don't have anything good to say about Peyton. Why is that? Do the fans want Ostweiler to start?

There are fans of Peyton there for sure...but a majority want Osweiller to start. They think he could run Kubiaks system better (and maybe he could) and they don't think Peyton can get it done any longer. Basically they think Oz could win them a SB and even though Peyton has done so much he was just an overpaid rental. A lot don't see him as a true Broncos...and even though John won late in his career on the back of his defense and running game that Peyton is too selfish and egotistical to do that.

There are fans of Peyton there for sure...but a majority want Osweiller to start. They think he could run Kubiaks system better (and maybe he could) and they don't think Peyton can get it done any longer. Basically they think Oz could win them a SB and even though Peyton has done so much he was just an overpaid rental. A lot don't see him as a true Broncos...and even though John won late in his career on the back of his defense and running game that Peyton is tough selfish and egotistical to do that.

And it's true that none of us know what Brock is capable of.  

I know one thing,  Peyton is a born leader.  Maybe Brock  has those qualities too ~~maybe not.   :dunno:    

The title of the thread makes it sound like he is going to die almost. :pokerface:

Look, when he is done in football he has a lot to look forward to as well. He has two young kids and a family. And he will have a huge amount of post football opportunities too.

And his team is winning right now.

Sorry. I didn't like the title of the article because I think there are several other qbs in the league that have just as good a football brain as him and the article kinda implies he is only working with his brain at this point. I tried to retitle my thread but I agree it was a little depressing...he has a TON of positives going on for him for sure lol.

There are fans of Peyton there for sure...but a majority want Osweiller to start. They think he could run Kubiaks system better (and maybe he could) and they don't think Peyton can get it done any longer. Basically they think Oz could win them a SB and even though Peyton has done so much he was just an overpaid rental. A lot don't see him as a true Broncos...and even though John won late in his career on the back of his defense and running game that Peyton is too selfish and egotistical to do that.

There is probably no question that Oz can run Kubiak's system better but not sure that means he wins the SB for them. For sure the Denver D is very good so it is the unknown with him. The real rub is how much Kubiak will let Manning run his offense. If he reigns him back vs Detroit then I think the Denver contingent will continue to get restless for Oz.

Peyton will play out his contract till the end of the 2016 season unless Elway pulls a 180 and cuts him loose after this season should the Broncos go one-and-done again in the playoffs. However, I have a feeling Peyton will give it a serious thought after the 2016 season unless he suffers a physical setback like another injury like the quad. injury suffered last year during this season. That is because Peyton has said in the past that he does not see himself going beyond 40 and he will be 40 next season.

Thanks for posting. That was an interesting read. I did not realize how difficult it is for Manning just to take his uniform and cleats off after a game.

I do wonder what Elway/Kubiak are thinking. Their plan as the author says was for Manning's final years to emulate Elway's final two seasons but that idea was pretty much shot when Manning went back to his Indy offense vs KC. I doubt they have him go completely back to Kubiak's system but yet Kubiak said Denver will run the ball so I guess we will see how it plays out but I think Denver will try to ride Manning playing his offense and hope the defense stays stout.

In terms of the Denver fans, they have never been Manning fans as he is not their QB. They will forever be wed to Elway. The sense I get from reading their boards is the 2012 loss to the Ravens was absolutely heart wrenching even more so then the Hawks blowing them out in the SB so I think they believe the Manning ship has sailed. That being said, most of them get that inserting Brock probably does not bring them any closer to a Super Bowl. It is what it is. The challenges in Denver are pretty intense these day.

Yeah..Peyton just reminds me of an great old war general trying to get his armour off after another tough battle. Using his mind to outsmart his enemy as his fighting skills diminish. A little dramatic but it was well written...you could almost smell the locker room and sense what Peyton feels after each game. A far different and much more deeper sense of what he is going through as his career winds down. I think it gives a better impression of how badly he wants to reach his goals and yet how hears the narratives about him in the media and he focuses on his job and blocks them out.

Yeah I think this was a bad marriage to try to force the whole new offense on him especially how young and inexperienced that OL is. They just aren't good enough to give the protection to give Peyton time to run that style of offense. I would think they would want to take elements of each and mesh what works well. Time will tell...I'll say if they can just start running the ball effectively that team will be very dangerous with that defense. If they give Peyton that I think they can make some noise. I don't think with Brock they can stay away from the kinda mistakes a young qb makes that will lose games and get them eliminated if they do make the post season. Peyton is their best chance...and while he can't do what he used too if they give him enough opportunities though doing what he does best I think that defense will keep games close enough to win. Hopefully Peyton can stay healthy...if he can't well that would be a sad ending.

To me, I do not think the Indy offense is the problem. The problem is thinking that you cannot run enough out of the Indy offense with Kubiak variations sprinkled in to make it an effective offense come playoff time. Kubiak, when his offense was run by a QB not named Elway, the results were mixed. So, Kubiak has to meet half way or even do a 25-75 with 25% being his variations. Even that 25% will be good enough to keep opponents guessing and make that offense less predictable come playoff time. With Peyton's physical limitations, it might be the best marriage possible, IMO.

Yes, Peyton would have to score about 24-27 points consistently come playoff time, something easier said than done vs playoff opponents in his career. Whatever it takes to accomplish that is what needs to happen. Yes, the D will be relied on in some games with Peyton barely hitting 20, but then there will also be games where he will need to put up 30 points, those are the games where that marriage on the offense will be tested.

Denver need a run game. When it rains or snows, it's a bad idea for Peyton to throw.

They need to run the football. I understand why Kubiak is stressing on run game.

Perfect marriage is Kubiak run game with Peyton's Indy pass offense.

The only issue being Kubiak's offense has always been reliant on:

a) A QB with at least some mobility and fairly decent arm strength

b) A at least decent O-Line to pull off his ZBS

c) A decent one cut runner

Right now I'm not sure Denver have any of the above, even if they did you can't just make it as easy as let's take a play from this scheme, a few from here and mix it all up. I've always preferred the terminology philosophy when it comes to describing what a coordinator is trying to effect. 

Thanks dg...

I know physically it has to have been tough for him the first 2 weeks....taking the hits he's taking.

I'm looking to see if the line gives him more time Sunday night...

He can win games like he did at KC....but not many.....They DO have to run the ball (read: Block)better. I'm hoping 9 days off have allowed them to clear up some problems

Since Superman referred to your post as nonsense I feel safe saying the line you wrote that I put into bold is yet the latest example of how little you know about football and athletes.

Dear God...........        :facepalm:

Right now I'm not sure Denver have any of the above, even if they did you can't just make it as easy as let's take a play from this scheme, a few from here and mix it all up. I've always preferred the terminology philosophy when it comes to describing what a coordinator is trying to effect.

I'm pretty sure Denver has 'A' and 'B' and you'll see that Sunday...and going forward

But they dont have 'C'...so that old 'Matt Schaub' roll our pass that Gary K called 1,000 timesin Houston has to go in the ashcan.

I'd like to see some pitch sweeps...to Anderson or Ronnie Hillman...

....but I dont think that's in the offense

What I am hoping is..since Kubiak and Elway made Peyton take a lot of time off in the pre-season, that he's just 'behind' in his timing....and touch ..

..If that's true...he'll improve slightly with each week ...I watch him closely (we all do) and his arm strength is what it

was the last 3 years......He;s just rushed and a little off

I'm pretty sure Denver has 'A' and 'B' and you'll see that Sunday...and going forwardBut they dont have 'C'...so that old 'Matt Schaub' roll our pass that Gary K called 1,000 timesin Houston has to go in the ashcan.I'd like to see some pitch sweeps...to Anderson or Ronnie Hillman.......but I dont think that's in the offense

I just want to double check... Did you just call Peyton mobile?!

Right now I'm not sure Denver have any of the above, even if they did you can't just make it as easy as let's take a play from this scheme, a few from here and mix it all up. I've always preferred the terminology philosophy when it comes to describing what a coordinator is trying to effect.

B is inexperienced. They need to focus on getting that better. Only run game from Kubiak need to be integrated. We don't need the pass game.

A and C are good enough.

B is inexperienced. They need to focus on getting that better. Only run game from Kubiak need to be integrated. We don't need the pass game.

A and C are good enough.

That's my point you can't always just pick and choose plays from a scheme....Kubiak's running game is built on the threat of roll outs and PA (especially deep shots). If you can't integrate that into the O then everytime Manning isn't in shotgun they might as well stack the box and play a single safety deep daring Manning to beat them over the top. 

Every time Manning rolls out it's painful to watch, it's never been a major part of his game and never will be. OUM is spot on calling up the classic roll out play that Kubiak loves to run. Schaub had enough mobility for the roll out, but when he lost confidence and D's keyed in on that he wasn't throwing deep they could sit on the underneath route to the TE and hello pick 6. 

That's my point you can't always just pick and choose plays from a scheme....Kubiak's running game is built on the threat of roll outs and PA (especially deep shots). If you can't integrate that into the O then everytime Manning isn't in shotgun they might as well stack the box and play a single safety deep daring Manning to beat them over the top. 

Every time Manning rolls out it's painful to watch, it's never been a major part of his game and never will be. OUM is spot on calling up the classic roll out play that Kubiak loves to run. Schaub had enough mobility for the roll out, but when he lost confidence and D's keyed in on that he wasn't throwing deep they could sit on the underneath route to the TE and hello pick 6. 

Good points here. I don't see how the Indy offense and Kubiak offense can realistically be integrated. The run game is much harder to defend from under center than shotgun as well. They had Manning in the shotgun a lot in Kubes offense as a compromise I think and it make it ineffective and as you say the roll outs and PAs are predicated off of it as well and the deep throws. I think it is maybe too simple to just chalk the whole thing up to Manning. Some has to do with him but a lot has to do with the personnel as well. It almost feels like Elway said I am going to hire Kubiak and we will just run his offense no matter what guys we have out there - from Manning who is not mobile and likes the shotgun, to a poor Oline, to an average RB.

They need to fix the OL. Run game will flow. Peyton does a lot of play action in Indy offense and there is no need for bootleg.