Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm starting to think Luck is overrated

Pacergeek

I'll say this again, people seem to ignore me. The first time Pep Hamilton designed an offense and called plays was when he signed to Indy. David Shaw called plays for the most part @ Stanford. I think Roman before that. Pep is inexperienced and it shows.

As for Luck, he has horrible mechanics imo. I dont think he gets enough leg into his throws. And whats with the crouching in the pocket? He's a lil too robotic @ times. Thats why we shouldve got him a veteran offensive coach. Not a college coach.

And I'd bet if he changed his grip on the ball, he'd get a lil more velocity.

tumblr_m9d9nk9sWw1r1nnogo1_400.jpg

Ive tried finding other qbs w/ that grip and I couldn't. Its odd and I wonder if it should be fixed.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this again, people seem to ignore me. The first time Pep Hamilton designed an offense and called plays was when he signed to Indy. David Shaw called plays for the most part @ Stanford. I think Roman before that. Pep is inexperienced and it shows.

As for Luck, he has horrible mechanics imo. I dont think he gets enough leg into his throws. And whats with the crouching in the pocket? He's a lil too robotic @ times. Thats why we shouldve got him a veteran offensive coach. Not a college coach.

And I'd bet if he changed his grip on the ball, he'd get a lil more velocity.

tumblr_m9d9nk9sWw1r1nnogo1_400.jpg

Ive tried finding other qbs w/ that grip and I couldn't. Its odd and I wonder if it should be fixed.

I don't know about the grip------but I said from year 1 that hes overrated----unless hes playing cal or wash state---the guy doesn't play well consistently

That being said, give the Bills their due credit. They look like a much improved team...of course whether its legit or just us screwing the pooch will be made clear when they play New England.

We got beat by a rookie QB. The Bills suck. We just suck harder. New England is absolutely going to shred Rex Ryan, because Belichick is a master at exposing rookie QB's for what they are.

I do think Luck is overhyped. I read an article by Brian Billick on NFL.com where he said he (and several execs around the league) are pretty much ready to anoint Luck into the Hall of Fame.  He's a great player and he's definitely the leader of our team, but I think we need to cool down the Luck hype a bit.  I've seen several articles about how 2015 is the year Luck takes over the league.  It very well might be, but he still has a lot of improvement and room for growth.  He's a great player and I think he's one of the best QBs in the league already, but I do think the media hypes him up quite a lot.

Maybe it's the fault of the coaches, but I was expecting much more out of our offense in Luck's fourth season. Slow starts almost every game. Rarely to we jump out to big leads early. When Peyton Manning was here, there was no * around offensively. Offense had a business like approach, and got things done, even with garbage defenses. Luck's offenses seem too sloppy at times and disorganized. Luck is outstanding at making plays when things break down, but Manning just seemed to have a better control of the offense. I think part of this is the personal around Luck. He has bad offensive lines, and lousy WR's compared to Peyton. With that being said, we shouldn't be making excuses for bad QB play from Andrew Luck

Manning had Bill Polian, Tom Moore and Howard Mudd from day one. That's quite the advantage

I have noticed that his throwing motion is different than other QBs.  He seems to lead with his elbow too much in his forward motion, causing the ball to sail (and inhibits maximum velocity too)

Its the classic problem with a baseball pitcher being consistently high and outside, they get their elbow under the ball too much before the forearm comes forward before the release. 

Most of Luck's accuracy issues are with the pass being too high...not too low.

I have noticed that his throwing motion is different than other QBs.  He seems to lead with his elbow too much in his forward motion, causing the ball to sail (and inhibits maximum velocity too)

Its the classic problem with a baseball pitcher being consistently high and outside, they get their elbow under the ball too much before the forearm comes forward before the release. 

This is extremely easy to see on quick out passes where many of his passes cause his wr's to jump slightly instead of just catching and taking off

I have noticed that his throwing motion is different than other QBs. He seems to lead with his elbow too much in his forward motion, causing the ball to sail (and inhibits maximum velocity too)

I like u, we need more like u here. Post more.

I believe his mechanics have always been overrated and tge coaches he's had leave him alone because its just accepted that he's perfect. He definitely needs some tweaks to his mechanics.

Most qbs get strength from tgeir waist and legs. Andrew seems to be all arm at times

This is extremely easy to see on quick out passes where many of his passes cause his wr's to jump slightly instead of just catching and taking off

It also causes a slower release leading to interceptions.  A bit too much arm motion to get the ball to where it needs to be.

It just one game. I mean sure Luck has problem with starring down a receiver for too long but the guy can throw. The balls he threw today was a little wobbly but it was raining. Luck threw for 4761yards last season. If you put Luck in the 90s NFL, he would be a QB god...For now I think he is #6QB in the league. 

No. First 3 seasons included:

• 11 regular season wins every year
  • 3 playoff wins
  • 86 passing and 12 rushing TDs + more in the post season
  • 12 game winning drives and 9 4th quarter comebacks in the regular season
  • One of the greatest comebacks in post season history

All this surrounded by a team that has been lacking in talent. O-line issues every year. Receivers leading the NFL in dropped passes (by far in 2014). Spotty talent and key injuries on defense. Running backs that can't stay healthy or straight up bust. 

As Aaron Rodgers once said - relax. Luck had kind of a down game. He wasn't nearly as bad as some of you guys are making it seem like he was, but he was off by his own standard. Even if he played well, this one was going to be brutal. The Bills were better prepared, played smarter, more efficient football, they didn't shoot themselves in the foot on special teams... They have a strong defense. The whether conditions favored their style of football over ours.

Anyone look at the box score from the Ravens-Broncos game? Luck put up way better numbers than those two guys. You know who else lost this week? The Seahawks. Are they done for? Anyone else remember after week 4 of last year there were people saying Tom Brady was done?

I like u, we need more like u here. Post more.

I believe his mechanics have always been overrated and tge coaches he's had leave him alone because its just accepted that he's perfect. He definitely needs some tweaks to his mechanics.

Most qbs get strength from tgeir waist and legs. Andrew seems to be all arm at times

And that's not disparaging Andrew.  The best baseball pitchers need coaching to keep their mechanics sound throughout the season.  Golfers need the same thing. 

Does Andrew still have Clyde Christiansen, or has he moved on?

And that's not disparaging Andrew. The best baseball pitchers need coaching to keep their mechanics sound throughout the season. Golfers need the same thing.

Does Andrew still have Clyde Christiansen, or has he moved on?

I think he does, but how good is he? Peyton has used Cutcliffe for yrs. I dont know how vital Clyde was to Peyton growing as a player.

Brady uses Tom House. Ive never heard of Luckbusing anyone besides George Whitfield, who I believe is overrated. He's good @ helping guys get drafted though.

Another thing about Luck, at times his mechanics look flawless. His motion looks perfect, then @ times its like he's throwing a javelin. And the ball looks like a heavy mass object in his hand.

He isn't. When your constantly throwing 35+ passes a game teams will begin to figure you out and mistakes will be made unless your adding in little tweaks to the offense weekly which Pep don't seem to do a lot of at least consistently or stick with things that work well

This is what makes me so angry about this organization.

A decade plus later our QB still carrying the team. 

Maybe it's the fault of the coaches, but I was expecting much more out of our offense in Luck's fourth season. Slow starts almost every game. Rarely to we jump out to big leads early. When Peyton Manning was here, there was no * around offensively. Offense had a business like approach, and got things done, even with garbage defenses. Luck's offenses seem too sloppy at times and disorganized. Luck is outstanding at making plays when things break down, but Manning just seemed to have a better control of the offense. I think part of this is the personal around Luck. He has bad offensive lines, and lousy WR's compared to Peyton. With that being said, we shouldn't be making excuses for bad QB play from Andrew Luck

Luck overrated really who do you think is holding this team in the playoffs its not the defense.

I do think Luck is overhyped. I read an article by Brian Billick on NFL.com where he said he (and several execs around the league) are pretty much ready to anoint Luck into the Hall of Fame.  He's a great player and he's definitely the leader of our team, but I think we need to cool down the Luck hype a bit.  I've seen several articles about how 2015 is the year Luck takes over the league.  It very well might be, but he still has a lot of improvement and room for growth.  He's a great player and I think he's one of the best QBs in the league already, but I do think the media hypes him up quite a lot.

Don't go that far just yet he is a  good QB playing on a bad team that gets to the playoffs every year.

God. This is seriously sad.

Luck is one of the best QBs in the NFL. Period. End of story.

If you need me to go over all of his skills I would happily do that but as a Colts "fan" you should already know.

As for his struggles today he was going up against Rex which is a tough task and he was playing in the rain (and wind) in a hostile environment, with a OL who wasn't doing him any favors and he was playing against a top 10 defense.

I think it is more to  do with coaching.  The lack of game planning is terrible.  Just watch when the Patriots play the Bills.  Brady will hit some wide open guys who were out of football last year.  He will have 5 seconds to throw on every play.  Swing passes out of backfield, screens.   The Luck Colts reminds me of the Manning Colts in that we run t he same offense regardless of what the defense does.  Not like Belichick changing strategy by the quarter.