Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts numbers that should be retired when the time comes

12isthenew18

If you retire #18 then you have to retire #19 'Unitas' since they both have led the franchise

to a title a piece. I don't like retiring any numbers because once u let Pandora out of the

box, then it opens up debates on letting other people in.

uhhh, 19 has been retired a long time

While your distinction is spot on, the thought of retiring a number to proclaim greatness is pretty futile. I think most folk know now great 18 was without this type of gesture.

I would submit the greater purpose of such a distinctive honor would be to ensure that future Colts fans understand this. Remember, these banners are meant to hang not for just a few years, but decades and decades, for "all time".....whatever that means to you.

If you retire #18 then you have to retire #19 'Unitas' since they both have led the franchise

to a title a piece. I don't like retiring any numbers because once u let Pandora out of the

box, then it opens up debates on letting other people in.

19 is retired by the Colts so are 22, 24, 70, 77, 82, and 89.

Im not personally for the retiring of numbers but Peyton and Jeff Saturday and a serious case can be made for Joseph Addai, He only had 867 less yards rushing then Faulk all while rushing 294 less times then Faulk as a Colt, Actually had Addai stayed healthy he is likely sitting as our 2nd all time leading rusher in yards and 2nd-3rd in rushing TD's

Im not personally for the retiring of numbers but Peyton and Jeff Saturday and a serious case can be made for Joseph Addai, He only had 867 less yards rushing then Faulk all while rushing 294 less times then Faulk as a Colt, Actually had Addai stayed healthy he is likely sitting as our 2nd all time leading rusher in yards and 2nd-3rd in rushing TD's

but he didn't and Faulk's number isn't retired. Heck even James who has way better numbers as a Colt doesn't have his number retired.

The Ring of Honor is the new way to recognize a player's contributions, there are only a ,limited amount of numbers available to teams (1-99)

There have been many posts on here about this

its going to take being a Peyton Manning to get your number retired in Indy I think. It will make it mean more when they do it.

IMHO, the list and idea of retired numbers is a bit much.  For example, Jeff Saturday was a very good center for us.  But Ray Donaldson was very good as well.  James was a good RB back for us.  Tom Matte was too.  Now I know people will point out there numbers don't compare.  But that is because a different era.  John Unitas's numbers don't compare to Peyton Manning, but doesn't mean he wasn't great.  Guys like Lenny Lyles get forgotten as a very good DB.  For pass rushers, Fred Cook was the most dominant in a small window but sacks weren't counted then. 

And I image 10 years from now, we will have Colts that will be up numbers that beat even guys like Reggie.

I think it is better now to just add someone to a Ring Of Honor.

I think that's too many numbers to retire. All those were great core players for the Colts, but I think only franchise legends should get their numbers retired, guys like Peyton Manning, Johnny Unitas, and maybe Reggie Wayne.

Edge, Marvin, Peyton and Reggie are all HOFers, so I could see retiring those numbers.  Wayne was also a big part of Indy's community and a face for the Colts to the media, whereas the rest of the players mentioned (outside Manning) have mostly been quiet.

Freeney is on the edge of HOF, I don't think he gets it, but he will definitely be a finalist on the ballot at some point.  Mathis has more impressive numbers over his career than Freeney, but his suspension for PEDs puts an asterisk next to his name.

Im not personally for the retiring of numbers but Peyton and Jeff Saturday and a serious case can be made for Joseph Addai, He only had 867 less yards rushing then Faulk all while rushing 294 less times then Faulk as a Colt, Actually had Addai stayed healthy he is likely sitting as our 2nd all time leading rusher in yards and 2nd-3rd in rushing TD's

Addai? I think I would actually become a Jags fan if that happened.