Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please Consider This (Edited)...

doogansquest

For those of you who want us to lose the last game, all in the name of a player who hasn't played a snap in the NFL; all for a player who is not a member of this team you (claim to) love, nor a teammate to the guys we cheer for every week... shame on you.

Watch this video. See the elation of the players who ARE Indianapolis Colts. Guys who have proven themselves in the NFL, and who give back to the community we are all privileged to be a part of. These are the guys that matter. Many of these are the faces we need to re-sign. These guys want to win:

http://www.colts.com...15-14b0f08f6b27

You want them to lose? You are going to cheer for them to lose to get a guy who's not as good as any of them right now? You want that joy to drain out of them so we can pick up a guy who won't play with them? A guy who won't bring them back from this losing season because many of them will be gone by the time he plays, or will be cut to make room for his contract?

I'll admit, I understand the complaints about Coach Caldwell more than the ones cheering for a loss next weekend. The players, on the other hand, seem to think of our coach differently. While on the same video page from the link above, check out the thumbnail video titled "Caldwell postgame locker room speech."

That's a coach with no emotion, remember. That's a guy no one has respect for. He has no understanding of the game, command of the locker room, or any of the intangibles to inspire others. He's just a puppet.

I guess the player response in that video is more proof we need to lose on purpose, not only to concern ourselves with a non-factor QB, but also to get that guy in the circle fired.

As an aside, I am aware that everyone who types on the internet can have an opinion. But that doesn't mean everyone should type that opinion, or receive a pass for that blanket reason. These are human beings. They aren't products or services of a business. The brand is, sure, as is the memorabilia; they, on the other hand, are men. They play to win. They care about the guys who are there now. We support these guys because they are the ones driving the franchise we cheer for. We are not players, and I get that. We shouldn't think like a player, right? If that's true, then that also means we shouldn't decide what's best for the team they play for.

I won't call anyone a pretend fan for hoping we lose. But they know, as well as anyone with a shred of perception, that they are no better than the man they blame for pulling the players in 2009.

whatever dude I dont want the player, I want the trade value.

Edited by Maureen
Personal Shot removed

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly and tanking a super bowl isn't in the same galaxy as losing a meaningless game. Why would he even say that?

How do you purposely lose a meaningless game unless you "tank"?

This is what I'm not getting. Some seem to infer that they are upset that the Colts have been winning. Comments are being made insinuating that the Colts are only hurting themselves by winning. The suggestion seems to be "why are they trying".

So what is it that "you people" want?

Oh....and Merry X-mas to you and yours! :banana:

Who said anything about purposely losing?

I know I haven't. I would never expect the team to try and lose.

Riiiight, but....don't you think we need one more game to re-evaluated Painter? You know, make sure we keep the right 3rd QB? After Manning, Luck, and ??????

Riiiight, but....don't you think we need one more game to re-evaluated Painter? You know, make sure we keep the right 3rd QB? After Manning, Luck, and ??????

Surely Hughes must get the full game as a replacement for Freeney, as well? He's a first rounder, so we can't be accused of putting in scrubs, which would be unprofessional, right?

Surely Hughes must get the full game as a replacement for Freeney, as well? He's a first rounder, so we can't be accused of putting in scrubs, which would be unprofessional, right?

Oh right, right. We must be sure about the abilities of some of our players so we can make sound decisions at draft time.....

There are no scrubs in the NFL. Every player on the roster is a professional NFL player, otherwise he wouldn't be there.

I'd like to believe that I don't worry so much about things I can't control (unless, of coarse we're in the playoffs).

Since I can't control if we win or lose, I'll be a fan and root for my team.

If we lose, we'll get the #1 pick, then we'll all have our own thoughts on what to do with it.

If we win, we'll get the #2 pick, then we'll all have our own thoughts on what to do with it.

So, I'm not going to worry about it.

+1 from me for this.

It was ok in 2009, and there were no riots. In fact, a lot of the fans on here applauded that decision. Now that very same thought is making people all righteous, which I find rather odd.

And I repeat, hoping the players don't try, and hoping the team loses (or the Rams win) are two completely different things. Why is that hard to understand?

Not hard to understand. I understand wrong very well, I just don't like it.

For those of you who want us to lose the last game, all in the name of a player who hasn't played a snap in the NFL; all for a player who is not a member of this team you (claim to) love, nor a teammate to the guys we cheer for every week... shame on you.

Watch this video. See the elation of the players who ARE Indianapolis Colts. Guys who have proven themselves in the NFL, and who give back to the community we are all privileged to be a part of. These are the guys that matter. Many of these are the faces we need to re-sign. These guys want to win:

You want them to lose? You are going to cheer for them to lose to get a guy who's not as good as any of them right now? You want that joy to drain out of them so we can pick up a guy who won't play with them? A guy who won't bring them back from this losing season because many of them will be gone by the time he plays, or will be cut to make room for his contract?

I'll admit, I understand the complaints about Coach Caldwell more than the ones cheering for a loss next weekend. The players, on the other hand, seem to think of our coach differently. While on the same video page from the link above, check out the thumbnail video titled "Caldwell postgame locker room speech."

That's a coach with no emotion, remember. That's a guy no one has respect for. He has no understanding of the game, command of the locker room, or any of the intangibles to inspire others. He's just a puppet.

I guess the player response in that video is more proof we need to lose on purpose, not only to concern ourselves with a non-factor QB, but also to get that guy in the circle fired.

As an aside, I am aware that everyone who types on the internet can have an opinion. But that doesn't mean everyone should type that opinion, or receive a pass for that blanket reason. These are human beings. They aren't products or services of a business. The brand is, sure, as is the memorabilia; they, on the other hand, are men. They play to win. They care about the guys who are there now. We support these guys because they are the ones driving the franchise we cheer for. We are not players, and I get that. We shouldn't think like a player, right? If that's true, then that also means we shouldn't decide what's best for the team they play for.

I won't call anyone a pretend fan for hoping we lose. But they know, as well as anyone with a shred of perception, that they are no better than the man they blame for pulling the players in 2009.

Thank you. I could not agree more. Wanting to lose.....so......you can get more wins. You know, you can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day, its still a pig. Or to quote T.O. (seriously?), "If it walks like a duck...and it talks like a duck...........then its a freakin duck". There is no switch for rooting that one can conveniently turn on and off when you want without acquiring the fickle label.

Doog....take solace in the fact that the feeling you got, watching those wins... it's special, isn't it? I get it too. It is something that the posters giving you a hard time have either never had, or they have given it up. They can tell themselves all they want that a win means just as much to them as it does to you or I....but it doesn't. Because each win is not a number added to a season win percentage on the way to a playoff birth. It is an individually celebrated moment that is a culmination of preparation and hard effort. To see Dano pump his fist over and over was such a great feeling. I lived his joy vicariously through him.

Anyway, don't stop sharing your thoughts like this. It is appreciated.

Thank you. I could not agree more. Wanting to lose.....so......you can get more wins. You know, you can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day, its still a pig. Or to quote T.O. (seriously?), "If it walks like a duck...and it talks like a duck...........then its a freakin duck". There is no switch for rooting that one can conveniently turn on and off when you want without acquiring the fickle label.

Doog....take solace in the fact that the feeling you got, watching those wins... it's special, isn't it? I get it too. It is something that the posters giving you a hard time have either never had, or they have given it up. They can tell themselves all they want that a win means just as much to them as it does to you or I....but it doesn't. Because each win is not a number added to a season win percentage on the way to a playoff birth. It is an individually celebrated moment that is a culmination of preparation and hard effort. To see Dano pump his fist over and over was such a great feeling. I lived his joy vicariously through him.

Anyway, don't stop sharing your thoughts like this. It is appreciated.

Losing in sports happens. All the time, and I feel I'm mature enough to handle it. And if we lose to the Jags, I'll get over that too. As will the players.

The emotional tag line to all this winning stuff is rather corny. Reggie wasn't thinking about you when he held out a while back, was he?

Losing in sports happens. All the time, and I feel I'm mature enough to handle it. And if we lose to the Jags, I'll get over that too. As will the players.

The emotional tag line to all this winning stuff is rather corny. Reggie wasn't thinking about you when he held out a while back, was he?

I think some people are stuck in a sports movie with how corny it gets. End of the day, literally all it comes down to is meaningless win to put a bit of fluff on the stats (3-13 looks great guys, I really hope we get that!...) or the most valuable draft pick in 14 years.

There's some insinuation here that those whom want wins are sappy and immature.

How's this for immature.....

Everyones been sayin Suck for Luck

l got my own clever rhyme

@#*% Luck.

@#*% him right in the ear. We got Manning for 4 years. Good nuff.

I think some people are stuck in a sports movie with how corny it gets. End of the day, literally all it comes down to is meaningless win to put a bit of fluff on the stats (3-13 looks great guys, I really hope we get that!...) or the most valuable draft pick in 14 years.

But it's not a real choice to me. We play to win.

That's what it boils down to imo. That's what divides people right now.

You can call it corny and meaningless, if you like

It is not corny or meaningless to me. It's the way the game is played

But it's not a real choice to me. We play to win.

That's what it boils down to imo. That's what divides people right now.

You can call it corny and meaningless, if you like

It is not corny or meaningless to me. It's the way the game is played

There's nobody denying that. The issue in contention is whether it's for the best to not win - people who think it is for the best want a loss, people who don't want a win - no better fan mumbo jumbo. If I was a player I'd be playing to win no doubt, but I'm not.

I'm totally ambivalent about what we do with our #1 pick, I just prefer we have it. So I'd prefer if we lost next week. No big deal really.

But most of the 'pro win' brigade keep chastising the rest by trying to take the moral high ground, which is tiresome.

There's some insinuation here that those whom want wins are sappy and immature.

How's this for immature.....

Everyones been sayin Suck for Luck

l got my own clever rhyme

@#*% Luck.

@#*% him right in the ear. We got Manning for 4 years. Good nuff.

Braveheartcolt wrote:

I'm totally ambivalent about what we do with our #1 pick, I just prefer we have it. So I'd prefer if we lost next week. No big deal really.

But most of the 'pro win' brigade keep chastising the rest by trying to take the moral high ground, which is tiresome.

I know what cha mean. Frankly, both camps have a valid point. It was the anger expressed by many that wanted us to go winless, accompanied by a complete lack of pride in what have been empty wins, received as too little, too late, that have rubbed me the wrong way. I get that people had their hearts set on the #1, but that may not happen. I say to these people, don't fret, there's much to be happy about and much more to look forward too.

I honestly think as a whole, our fanbase will look back at this season with a sense of humor and laugh. We will do so because we will have much success in the coming years.

I know what cha mean. Frankly, both camps have a valid point. It was the anger expressed by many that wanted us to go winless, accompanied by a complete lack of pride in what have been empty wins, received as too little, too late, that have rubbed me the wrong way. I get that people had their hearts set on the #1, but that may not happen. I say to these people, don't fret, there's much to be happy about and much more to look forward too.

I honestly think as a whole, our fanbase will look back at this season with a sense of humor and laugh. We will do so because we will have much success in the coming years.

I hope so. Even with the #2 pick, we have a great chance to fill in some of the blanks!

This disaster of a season has certainly brought this board to life!

I'd actually prefer a (good) new HC before having ANY draft pick, including Luck.

Peyton Manning (in the early days) used to throw tons of interceptions, if Andrew Luck does that are people going to say he's a bust? C'mon, let's remember back to when we struggled and Manning had to rely on a marvelous guy named Marvin and a great set of running backs named Faulk and James.

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal doogan?

I think sanctimonious or holier-than-thou might be a better description. The fact is that a loss is in the best long-term interests of the Colts, particularly if PM comes back and they trade down.

However, as a Manning fan, beginning with Archie while he was at Ole Miss, who has cheered for the Colts since Peyton arrived, I hope Peyton is traded or released and he goes to a team with some talent to finish his career.

I don't see how this scenario is any different from hoping we bench our players in week 15 in our 09 season to prevent injuries. You argue that we play to win every game and yet, if you bench starters, you are clearly not putting your best foot forward and therefore, not trying as hard. Well why can't we do that for the next game? Try a little less hard so that we solidify the 1st overall pick in the 2012 draft which would provide almost twice as much value as the 2nd overall pick. In both cases, you are cheating the fans short-term, but helping the franchise long-term

Exactly and tanking a super bowl isn't in the same galaxy as losing a meaningless game. Why would he even say that?

So then no one should be upset about 2009, right? We lost 2 meaningless games. Those games had no effect on our playoff standing, and we likely lose in the snow at Buffalo anyway (while also risking injury), so there should be no bitterness about the way that regular season ended.

I'd like to believe that I don't worry so much about things I can't control (unless, of coarse we're in the playoffs).

Since I can't control if we win or lose, I'll be a fan and root for my team.

If we lose, we'll get the #1 pick, then we'll all have our own thoughts on what to do with it.

If we win, we'll get the #2 pick, then we'll all have our own thoughts on what to do with it.

BTW, why is Luck the best prospect to come out of college since Elway?

Why not since Manning?

Is it already determined that Luck will be better than Manning?

Or is it just that he's considered the most NFL ready since Elway?

Does being NFL ready necessarily mean he's going to be great, or just that he'll be a decent NFL QB much quicker than most?

So why is it death if we don't get the #1, unless you're dream is the trade value?

At #2, there's still plenty of talent to help out, and still plenty of trade value.

So, I'm not going to worry about it.

Best post of the thread. it's intelligent, raises valid questions, and uses a thing called logic.

Edited by Maureen
Insult

There's nobody denying that. The issue in contention is whether it's for the best to not win - people who think it is for the best want a loss, people who don't want a win - no better fan mumbo jumbo. If I was a player I'd be playing to win no doubt, but I'm not.

I will not be broken hearted if we lose. There is an upside to it for sure

Thank you so much for your heartfelt post DQ~.I usually agree with 90 percent of what you have to say and i always respect your opinions and logical perspective.I think you really seem to GET IT and understand what LOYALTY is all about.I simply cannot cheer for a loss,especially in the name of a draft pick that many believe will replace a TRUE LEGEND.We owe ALOT to peyton manning and he deserves our respect.He also deserves the opportunity to comeback healthy and once again lead our ballclub.And IMHO i believe that his recent contract has more to do with what he's already achieved for our franchise.This money belongs to him...regardless.Its THANK YOU money for a job well done.And lets look at from this perspective...shall we?Let's say that he doesn't make a full recovery,then so what?He will still continue to play at the same ability that he's played at since the injury.I fully expect him to play next year and beyond regardless if the surgery was a success or not.But early evidence supports that it was successful!I also fully expect that his offensive production will never decrease,thus making him truly the first ever such player to do so.His statline will remain roughly the same...throughout his remaining career.

Best regards,

MCD

P.S.Thanks for truly GETTING IT!

You are telling us that the only opinion that meens anything is yours. You go as far as saying " Shame on us" for those that have a different opinion.You are so wrong about what is most important to the Colts. Its the FANS, not the players. This team is nothing without all the money that we put down to buy their stuff. Its nothing without the ratings that we give by watching our team. I have been a fan a heck of alot longer than anyone playingand that meens something to me. I also dont buy your premise that losing is never a good thing , In life, sometimes we have to lose in order to get ahead. Its like when the Marine decides that its better to jump on a hanggrenade than it is to let all his buddies die. He made a choice that by losing, his buddies wins I know, your going to complain about the analogy. Peyton is going to play another 2-3 years, that meens we will get low draft picks until hes gone. It makes sense to grab the best prospect coming out of college in many years. I know that you people want to gloss over that and you think it is disrespectful to the players that are playing. Well tough, we are not a competitive team without Manning and thats the reality of the situation and if that hurts their feelins, so be it. Most of us fans care about winning the SB, NOT just winning games. We want to know that we have a chance to win every year. Not just making playoffs. Is that asking too much, maybe but thats what we want. One more win meens nothing other than we lose out. This game has changed and we need this pick to keep the Colts at a level where we can compete to win the SB. You have every right to disagree but no right to put those of us down that want Luck. We love our team and DOOGAN, you are dead wrong.

Thank you so much for your heartfelt post DQ~.I usually agree with 90 percent of what you have to say and i always respect your opinions and logical perspective.I think you really seem to GET IT and understand what LOYALTY is all about.I simply cannot cheer for a loss,especially in the name of a draft pick that many believe will replace a TRUE LEGEND.We owe ALOT to peyton manning and he deserves our respect.He also deserves the opportunity to comeback healthy and once again lead our ballclub.And IMHO i believe that his recent contract has more to do with what he's already achieved for our franchise.This money belongs to him...regardless.Its THANK YOU money for a job well done.And lets look at from this perspective...shall we?Let's say that he doesn't make a full recovery,then so what?He will still continue to play at the same ability that he's played at since the injury.I fully expect him to play next year and beyond regardless if the surgery was a success or not.But early evidence supports that it was successful!I also fully expect that his offensive production will never decrease,thus making him truly the first ever such player to do so.His statline will remain roughly the same...throughout his remaining career.

Best regards,

MCD

P.S.Thanks for truly GETTING IT!

THAT line of thinking will ruin a franchise and cripple its salary cap. Peyton Manning has been at or near the top of the NFL salary food chain his entire career and I doubt he'll be drinking Ripple or living under a highway overpass any time soon. And YES....he earned every penny of those contracts by being healthy and performing at a terrific level.

But let's get the loyalty thing straight because some NFL players....indeed, alot of them and some great ones....play for their next contract with full intentions of testing free agency and letting the market dictate their destination. Absolutely within their rights and in alot of cases the best move for their family's financial future. But hardly loyal.

We'll get whatever draft slot we get next Sunday.... and deal with it accordingly. Some of us want Luck...some want to trade the pick and some would be fine with another player at #2 overall....and its all good.

But the Colts are no longer in quite the symbiotic state with Peyton Manning that we once were....age, injury and a team's future financial and salary cap commitments make that a cold reality in the NFL.

And a foolish decision there can have just as much negative impact as a draft bust....maybe more.

Awful topic.

Does 3-13 versus 2-14 really matter in the grand scheme of things? No. No it does not.

I would have agreed with it had Barkley entered the draft, but now you're advocating the Colts spend 28 million dollars on a 35 year-old quarterback with neck problems. Manning is my favorite player, but it's time to move on and prepare for the future. I honestly hope he just retires and spares us all the Willie Mays treatment, but yeah Andrew Luck is worth losing one game over. There is no reason not to go after him, because he's the next Manning.

If you're willing to sacrifice the next 10-15 years over "professional pride", remember that middling around in rebuilding never works. It's always better to just bottom out and start over.

I don't see how this scenario is any different from hoping we bench our players in week 15 in our 09 season to prevent injuries. You argue that we play to win every game and yet, if you bench starters, you are clearly not putting your best foot forward and therefore, not trying as hard. Well why can't we do that for the next game? Try a little less hard so that we solidify the 1st overall pick in the 2012 draft which would provide almost twice as much value as the 2nd overall pick. In both cases, you are cheating the fans short-term, but helping the franchise long-term

Boom.

If you agreed with the Colts benching people in 2009 (Caldwell and Polian should have lost their jobs for this), then you can't say the Colts should play to win on Sunday. Period.

First off I will make this as simple as I can. In the chase for the perfect season years back The Colts had ZERO problem pulling their starters even though a chance at history was on the line and directly after that I remember the Polian interviews stating it was their decision to make and not the fans. So in essence at that time The Colts may have not directly said we don't want to win, but they said that Winning that day against the Jets was not the most important thing.

Last Thursday on the other end of the spectrum, they had a 100% chance to wrap up the number one pick but yet they decided to win the game and play to win. Clearly they did not play the Jets game years ago to win so why on earth given where they are at now why not just go ahead and lose Thursday and wrap up the number one draft? Luck or no Luck everyone has to agree the number one draft spot in 2012 is going to be worth a very good portion. Almost every year this team shows some sort of (slight) disrespect to the game. Pulling their starters, resting their starters, losing almost every pre season game etc. So why now would it really matter about doing something along those lines last Thursday?

It's all about investments. The Colts made a investment years ago that did not work out since they did not win the Super Bowl. Now they have a investment of a 1st round draft pick and yet they don't seem to be concerned about it. This is not just football. Many opportunities in life are investments. One more loss for the number one pick in the 2012 draft... I would take that deal all day long.

Governed but not dictated,

Bonnie

First off I will make this as simple as I can. In the chase for the perfect season years back The Colts had ZERO problem pulling their starters even though a chance at history was on the line and directly after that I remember the Polian interviews stating it was their decision to make and not the fans. So in essence at that time The Colts may have not directly said we don't want to win, but they said that Winning that day against the Jets was not the most important thing.

Last Thursday on the other end of the spectrum, they had a 100% chance to wrap up the number one pick but yet they decided to win the game and play to win. Clearly they did not play the Jets game years ago to win so why on earth given where they are at now why not just go ahead and lose Thursday and wrap up the number one draft? Luck or no Luck everyone has to agree the number one draft spot in 2012 is going to be worth a very good portion. Almost every year this team shows some sort of (slight) disrespect to the game. Pulling their starters, resting their starters, losing almost every pre season game etc. So why now would it really matter about doing something along those lines last Thursday?

It's all about investments. The Colts made a investment years ago that did not work out since they did not win the Super Bowl. Now they have a investment of a 1st round draft pick and yet they don't seem to be concerned about it. This is not just football. Many opportunities in life are investments. One more loss for the number one pick in the 2012 draft... I would take that deal all day long.

Governed but not dictated,

Bonnie

Nice first post Mrs Jaric.