Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please Consider This (Edited)...

doogansquest

What happens if we win against jags? Will this continue? I mean we're practically split 50/50 with "win the last game or lose it for better draft picks". If we win, then we are surely not going to have the #1 pick. (unless Vikings and Rams win their last two games". I dont really see a point in continuing these arguments if we lose out on the first pick.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if we win against jags? Will this continue? I mean we're practically split 50/50 with "win the last game or lose it for better draft picks". If we win, then we are surely not going to have the #1 pick. (unless Vikings and Rams win their last two games". I dont really see a point in continuing these arguments if we lose out on the first pick.

Its enough to make my head split. This is why I am trying my best to pretend that every game matters and enjoy them as a fan while letting the FO give themselves ulcers worrying about it.

......and yes, the ramifications of this season, however they go, will be a point of contention of these forums for many years to come.

Its enough to make my head split. This is why I am trying my best to pretend that every game matters and enjoy them as a fan while letting the FO give themselves ulcers worrying about it.

......and yes, the ramifications of this season, however they go, will be a point of contention of these forums for many years to come.

Yes, and I see the points others make to the #1 pick and getting it, but theres a realistic chance we are going to beat a bad jags team and lose the #1 pick. Im just curious if this will continue even though the draft will be all sorted out..

Yes, and I see the points others make to the #1 pick and getting it, but theres a realistic chance we are going to beat a bad jags team and lose the #1 pick. Im just curious if this will continue even though the draft will be all sorted out..

It never stops.

We can debate this topic all we want; but at the end of the day, what does it matter? As I said before, I don't expect the players to view this message board and not try to play to the best of their ability just because some of us view another win as pointless or harmful to the team.

Bayone recently sent a message that included a link with some statements made by Dan O. I found it an interesting read and will just merely copy and paste what he provided.

Orlovsky won't apologize for Colts' wins

Orlovsky, Colts still fighting: 'We don't know any other way'

If Thursday night's victory over the Texans upset a subset of Colts fans hoping to secure the top overall pick in April's draft, don't expect the players to apologize.

Colts quarterback Dan Orlovsky's game-winning touchdown strike to Reggie Wayne with 19 seconds left lifted Indy to 2-13 on the season, bringing the Vikings and Rams back into the picture for the draft's No. 1 prize.

"I think we all know the situation, but we're all in the NFL," Orlovsky told "The Dan Patrick Show" on Friday. "... By the way we play, you can tell we don't care about that, we just want to go out and compete and give ourselves a chance to win a game."

Some argue the Colts imperiled their future for meaningless thrills, but that theory ignores the mind-set of NFL players, who are trained to take the season game-by-game, with every confrontation viewed as an important opportunity.

Said Orlovsky: "I can understand ... everyone saying, you know, 'Is it worth the win?,' everything like that, but to the 53 guys in the locker room, any time we step on the field, we're representing ourselves and our families -- we're playing for our jobs and our livelihoods -- and we're out there competing, we don't know any other way."

The Colts haven't lost their grip on the top pick, but a win over the Jaguars in Week 17 would make things interesting. Either way, this much is clear: draftniks and futurists don't play into the equation. The Colts players and coaches haven't stopped fighting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82557076/article/orlovsky-colts-still-fighting-we-dont-know-any-other-way?module=HP11_headline_stack

i agree! we are here to win and finish strong. I could care less about Andrew Luck. Peyton is and will finish as our quarterback. I have trust we can find someone that will continue his success.

3 years from now no one will remember this upcoming jags game. We will remember the first overall pick and something good coming out of a horrible season

Am not thoroughly convinced about Painter. Would like one more real good look at him before a decision on who 3rd QB should be on our roster next year. Manning, Luck, then who?

Prolly should start Painter vs Jax along with some other players that need further evaluation...

3 years from now no one will remember this upcoming jags game. We will remember the first overall pick and something good coming out of a horrible season

Semantics. Maybe we'll be celebrating Manning's third SB win and laughing as Luck gets run out of Minnesota?

No one will remember a player who isn't yet playing. But it really can't be said any better than this:

Semantics. Maybe we'll be celebrating Manning's third SB win and laughing as Luck gets run out of Minnesota?

Well put, ruksak.

Super Bowls erase everything. Manning gives us that chance. Luck doesn't. Luck doesn't matter right now.

Super Bowls erase everything. Manning gives us that chance. Luck doesn't. Luck doesn't matter right now.

I'd like one person on this board to claim that if Manning raises another Lombardi in the next few years, that they would say aloud "Yea but, we coulda had Luck for 15 years"?

As good as he may be, the wet-behind-the-ears college boy ain't gonna win us a SB anytime soon.

Well,I'll put it this way,I was at the Houston game and you'd have thought they were playing for the SB.I've watched all the games on tv and have yet to see anybody giving up,if you listen to any media,most of the other teams are impressed by the level of play from the Colts.

I don't see the point in laying down,sucking for luck,losing on purpose,etc.If that's your attitude then maybe you shouldn't be in the NFL making multimillions,know what I'm saying?No offense to anyone or their opinions but come on let's get real.

No offense but the pro-Luck group make it sound like with Luck we are guaranteed with tonnes of SB.

Go to a quiet room, close the door, sit down, close your eyes and think about the below.

Who is Andrew Luck? ( a player who plays college football )

Has he played NFL? ) ( No )

Is it guarenteed he will play well ( No )

If he is such a superman, why hasnt he won a national championship in the last 4 yrs?.

If Manning is healthy, he is our QB ( Irsay made it clear ).

We should pick the best available draft player who is available for our pick ( could be QB, WR, CB etc ).

I think it is a little presumptious to categorize someone who wants to lose the last game to get a great QB not real fans. I remember back in 1997, the Colts needed to lose to the Vikings and the Cardinals had to beat the Falcons for the Colts to get the #1 pick. I wanted both to happen because I wanted Peyton Manning on the team. That worked out fine. Had either of those things not happened, we likely would have gotten Ryan Leaf. That is a huge difference between the #1 and #2 pick that year. Having the #1 pick this year will either get Andrew Luck or a bunch of blue chip draft picks in a trade. For the Colts long term future, I think it does them more good to lose the last game then to win it. Now, if they win it, will I be mad? No, because I am sure whoever they get at #2 will be good and I like to see them win. But having the #1 pick this year, for the future of the team, I believe is much more important then going 3-13 instead of 2-14

3-13

I think it is a little presumptious to categorize someone who wants to lose the last game to get a great QB not real fans. I remember back in 1997, the Colts needed to lose to the Vikings and the Cardinals had to beat the Falcons for the Colts to get the #1 pick. I wanted both to happen because I wanted Peyton Manning on the team. That worked out fine. Had either of those things not happened, we likely would have gotten Ryan Leaf. That is a huge difference between the #1 and #2 pick that year. Having the #1 pick this year will either get Andrew Luck or a bunch of blue chip draft picks in a trade. For the Colts long term future, I think it does them more good to lose the last game then to win it. Now, if they win it, will I be mad? No, because I am sure whoever they get at #2 will be good and I like to see them win. But having the #1 pick this year, for the future of the team, I believe is much more important then going 3-13 instead of 2-14

:thanks:

Can you imagine the chaos here if Luck turns into a mega-star? Oh the agony.

The FO "says" they wont trade it, but then again Cincinnati said they wouldn't trade Carson Palmer either... Just like anything in this world it has a price and if someone is willing to pay that price they can have it.

Can you imagine the chaos here if Luck turns into a mega-star? Oh the agony.

The FO "says" they wont trade it, but then again Cincinnati said they wouldn't trade Carson Palmer either... Just like anything in this world it has a price and if someone is willing to pay that price they can have it.

Agree 100%.....people keep saying the that the FO said they would NOT trade the #1 pick. What do you expect them to say??!? If someone wants to move up and offers multiple #1's and 2's of course they would listen. The value of that pick is huge and if Peyton is healthy, they could get immediate help now and plan for the future.

What people say now and what they do come April are completely different!

Close minded people. Ur not getting what I'm saying.

It's not exactly a radical idea you're proposing.....yes, I get it. 3 years from a loss @ the Jags won't be remembered but the first overall pick will be. I get it.

I believe the second overall will be just as memorable. I have no concern over situations that are yet unclear, so for now I will worry myself with hoping for a Colts win.

No offense but the pro-Luck group make it sound like with Luck we are guaranteed with tonnes of SB.

Go to a quiet room, close the door, sit down, close your eyes and think about the below.

Who is Andrew Luck? ( a player who plays college football ) Like every other top prospect.

Has he played NFL? ) ( No ) Like every other top prospect.

Is it guarenteed he will play well ( No ) Like every other top prospect.

If he is such a superman, why hasnt he won a national championship in the last 4 yrs?.

Okay professor.... that last one was tough so I sat down in a quiet room, closed my eyes and thought, and here's what I came up with.....

1. Luck hasn't won a national championship in the last 4 years for the same reason Peyton Manning hasn't won a Super Bowl in the last 4 years. Because football is a team sport and a QB can't singlehandedly play all 22 positions plus special teams. Oh, and Peyton didn't win a national championship either... by the way.

2. Because he chose to attend a prestigious university that doesn't cut corners or sacrifice academic standards one bit, just so they can overload their skill positions with a parade of cretins who have little more than their ability to play football and often no interest whatsoever in pursuing an education.

Okay professor.... that last one was tough so I sat down in a quiet room, closed my eyes and thought, and here's what I came up with.....

1. Luck hasn't won a national championship in the last 4 years for the same reason Peyton Manning hasn't won a Super Bowl in the last 4 years. Because football is a team sport and a QB can't singlehandedly play all 22 positions plus special teams. Oh, and Peyton didn't win a national championship either... by the way.

2. Because he chose to attend a prestigious university that doesn't cut corners or sacrifice academic standards one bit, just so they can overload their skill positions with a parade of cretins who have little more than their ability to play football and often no interest whatsoever in pursuing an education.

Exactly. You answered pretty much why he isnt a big deal, just like every other prospect. He is a NOBODY.

Peyton on the other hand, is a proven legend.

So lets cut the c**p of getting him at the expense of Peyton. If he happens to be available, like " every other prospect", we will take him.

Exactly. You answered pretty much why he isnt a big deal, just like every other prospect. He is a NOBODY.

Peyton on the other hand, is a proven legend.

So lets cut the c**p of getting him at the expense of Peyton. If he happens to be available, like " every other prospect", we will take him.

First of all.... read my prior posts before you associate me in with a viewpoint you disagree with.

My point of view from the start has been.... IF Peyton is 100% recovered and ready to finish out his contract, then we should probably trade the pick. If he is NOT fully recovered by March and unwilling to re-do his contract.... then we run the risk of spending 28 million dollars in bonus money and 17 million dollars of cap space on a 36-year old proven legend who may never regain his form.

THAT would be unacceptable.... and at that point he should be released.

As for your assertion that Luck offers no guarantees at the NFL level, you broke no new ground.

But saying that Andrew Luck is a nobody shows complete disregard for a pre-draft evaluation process that has him highly touted by people who know a lot more about football than you or I do.

Not wanting Luck as the next Colts QB because you'd rather we trade for more prospects at other positions is fine.

But dismissing his accomplishments and abilities as if he's never picked up a football like you did in your original post is absolutely ridiculous, especially when every single draft prospect is evaluated on the grounds of those accomplishments.

First of all.... read my prior posts before you associate me in with a viewpoint you disagree with.

My point of view from the start has been.... IF Peyton is 100% recovered and ready to finish out his contract, then we should probably trade the pick. If he is NOT fully recovered by March and unwilling to re-do his contract.... then we run the risk of spending 28 million dollars in bonus money and 17 million dollars of cap space on a 36-year old proven legend who may never regain his form.

THAT would be unacceptable.... and at that point he should be released.

As for your assertion that Luck offers no guarantees at the NFL level, you broke no new ground.

But saying that Andrew Luck is a nobody shows complete disregard for a pre-draft evaluation process that has him highly touted by people who know a lot more about football than you or I do.

Not wanting Luck as the next Colts QB because you'd rather we trade for more prospects at other positions is fine.

But dismissing his accomplishments and abilities as if he's never picked up a football like you did in your original post is absolutely ridiculous, especially when every single draft prospect is evaluated on the grounds of those accomplishments.

Appreciate if we read with the context.

Luck is a NOBODY as far as NFL is concerned where Peyton is proven. Asking to draft luck and asking to trade Peyton is ludacris is all we are saying.

Appreciate if we read with the context.

Luck is a NOBODY as far as NFL is concerned where Peyton is proven. Asking to draft luck and asking to trade Peyton is ludacris is all we are saying.

If Peyton is healthy and ready to go another 4 years, I agree with you Bond.

Hopefully the medical and business realities in March don't dictate otherwise.... but they sound prepared for that possibility.

If its bad or uncertain news for Peyton on the injury front and the contract can't be rectified, then having Andrew Luck as an option isn't the worst situation in the world either..... because at that point, we are in a very substantial rebuilding mode.

If Peyton is healthy and ready to go another 4 years, I agree with you Bond.

Hopefully the medical and business realities in March don't dictate otherwise.... but they sound prepared for that possibility.

If its bad or uncertain news for Peyton on the injury front and the contract can't be rectified, then having Andrew Luck as an option isn't the worst situation in the world either..... because at that point, we are in a very substantial rebuilding mode.

Of course thats a given - Peyton being healthy that is.

As Irsay mentioned, If Peyton is healthy he is our QB and he wont hesitate to take the best available QB in the draft which is fair.

Off to bed my friend.

We gain more by losing than winning. I will not be shameful in wanting a bright future for the team long after Peyton is gone.(which still could be now) Sure there are no guarantees with Luck(nor with anybody ), but when the experts say he's the best prospect in a decade I tend to believe them more than Mr. average Joe poster here. You absolutely can't afford to pass it up if there's even a chance that he can be the next elite QB. We have seen first hand how important the QB position is this year.

This. Also, we have no guarantee that PEYTON will be back. Yes, we get updates saying that his arm strength is returning, and Irsay says that if he's healthy enough to play next year, he'll be in blue. However, that's 3 neck surgeries worth of "if"s..... think about it people. A lot of you say that Andrew Luck is "unproven". This is true; however, isn't Peyton Manning's post-3-surgeries-in-19-months neck "unproven" in an NFL season too? Semantics, I know, but that seems to be the bread and butter of these threads by certain posters.

Balzer40 makes a good point and in a rare occasion rooting against the Colts may be best for the franchise. Whats better, winning the Jags game and potentially losing the 1st overall pick in exchange for a 3-13 season or losing it, going 2-14 but secure the pick for the best prospected QB since John Elway? Its an easy choice.

If the '97 Colts beat the Vikings in that last game, we are talking about potentially having Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning (SD would have the 1st overall pick from what I know off the top of my head)

I'd like to believe that I don't worry so much about things I can't control (unless, of coarse we're in the playoffs).

Since I can't control if we win or lose, I'll be a fan and root for my team.

If we lose, we'll get the #1 pick, then we'll all have our own thoughts on what to do with it.

If we win, we'll get the #2 pick, then we'll all have our own thoughts on what to do with it.

BTW, why is Luck the best prospect to come out of college since Elway?

Why not since Manning?

Is it already determined that Luck will be better than Manning?

Or is it just that he's considered the most NFL ready since Elway?

Does being NFL ready necessarily mean he's going to be great, or just that he'll be a decent NFL QB much quicker than most?

So why is it death if we don't get the #1, unless you're dream is the trade value?

At #2, there's still plenty of talent to help out, and still plenty of trade value.

So, I'm not going to worry about it.

If a team "tanked" it in a Super Bowl, there would be riots in the streets. But if we tank it to get the 1st pick, then well that's okay.

It was ok in 2009, and there were no riots. In fact, a lot of the fans on here applauded that decision. Now that very same thought is making people all righteous, which I find rather odd.

And I repeat, hoping the players don't try, and hoping the team loses (or the Rams win) are two completely different things. Why is that hard to understand?