Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson = Matt Millen + Al Davis

BProland85

Does anyone else see Grigson as a mixture of Al Davis and Matt Millen? Millen while with Detroit was obsessed with WRs, while Al Davis was obsessed with speed players. Grigson seems to love these type of guys and ignores the bully type of players that give this team attitude.

I'll give you a hit...the koolaide you're drinking.....aint just koolaide.....

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's ok to compare our GM to those two people, is it ok to compare fans who side with Pats posters, talk with longing about the Pats choices, and speak as if they wish we were like the Pats.... to the south side of a north bound mule? Just clarifying.....

Does anyone else see Grigson as a mixture of Al Davis and Matt Millen? Millen while with Detroit was obsessed with WRs, while Al Davis was obsessed with speed players. Grigson seems to love these type of guys and ignores the bully type of players that give this team attitude.

I really like Matt Millen as a person. While he believed he was doing the right thing at the time, he was obviously wrong - and he was a terrible GM. I think you hit the nail on the head, Grigson = Millen + Davis.

Remarkably, the worst of both worlds, and for the same reasons.

What? Brown is a 2 gap tackle but he can do it all ... extremely versatile.

Here is his write up:

The 6-foot-2, 320-pound defensive tackle has the ability to play multiple spots on the defensive line in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 front — versatility [personified].

Brown isn’t just another defensive lineman, though. He was a 2014 finalist for the Bronco Nagurski Trophy for the most outstanding defensive player, as well as for the Outland Trophy for the top interior defensive lineman. He was also voted a first-team All-American and first-team All-Big 12.

Brown is considered a solid two-gap defensive tackle for his ability to hold the point of attack, but he also has penetration ability to get into the backfield. He notched 13 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks, leading the team in both categories and becoming the first Texas defender to do so since 1984.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/04/30/patriots-stick-select-malcom-brown-with-first-round-pick/9LdnFtAI6kqqidtBkVpBlL/story.html?p1=takeover

I'm literally quoting Bill Polian.    I'll take his word over the write-up.

Ok. But did you watch him play? The guy can literally do it all. He can fit 4-3 or 3-4.

I'm sure he can....

But there are 1-gap 3-4 defenses like Houston...   and 2-gap 3-4 defenses like the Colts have.

I like Brown.....    I like him a LOT!

I'm willing to give Grigson the benefit of the doubt that the player he took was considerably higher on his board than anyone else.

I'm sure he can....

But there are 1-gap 3-4 defenses like Houston...   and 2-gap 3-4 defenses like the Colts have.

I like Brown.....    I like him a LOT!

I'm willing to give Grigson the benefit of the doubt that the player he took was considerably higher on his board than anyone else.

Sure. I get that but this draft is stacked at WR and the guy you got is similar in stature to TY. And you also got AJ in FA. I really thought you were take the safety Collins. But there is still of plenty of picks left and Collins is still there right now anyways.

So if one does not like the  pick, we are not Colts fans? Do we have to fall in line and accept all of Ryan;s choices/? Do you watch the same Colts every week getting pushed arouund by other teams running game? 

So  did you watch all of the Colts games last season? There was only one team that ran on us and that was the Patriots. Part of that was our inability to move the ball on the offense due to having no receivers. Liking the pick has nothing to do with the non stop whine that some have. Calling for Grigsons firing is asinine. Every day there are some who come in this forum to do nothing but degrade and talk bad about the Colts  If you fall into that category then yes, I was talking about you.

I really like Matt Millen as a person. While he believed he was doing the right thing at the time, he was obviously wrong - and he was a terrible GM. I think you hit the nail on the head, Grigson = Millen + Davis.

Remarkably, the worst of both worlds, and for the same reasons.

That is a huge pile of horse dung.

So  did you watch all of the Colts games last season? There was only one team that ran on us and that was the Patriots. Part of that was our inability to move the ball on the offense due to having no receivers. Liking the pick has nothing to do with the non stop whine that some have. Calling for Grigsons firing is asinine. Every day there are some who come in this forum to do nothing but degrade and talk bad about the Colts  If you fall into that category then yes, I was talking about you.

We can stop the run by drafting best run-stoping NT, DE, DT, ILB, OLB, SS...

Or by putting a lot of points on board. With Andrew under center second way is better.

You can not win by stoping. you can win by scoring.

yes I watch the Colts via NFL ticket every week. We have no receivers WOW! It's the Pats D that took out our game plan. Not saying Grogs to be fired but fans can question picks, game calling, etc, That's what is being a fan. I have been a fan since 1972 soo don't tell me I'm not a Fan. I guess one is not a Fan unless they accept all moves and decisions like a compaby Yes person.

Yes. I am very happy that Brown was there and we took him. Very similar to when Wilfork fell to us #21 back in 2004.

How come the Colts did not take the safety Collins? I thought for sure they would take him or Brown.

Word around the web is that GMs looked at the tape of Collins vs Ohio State's receivers and didn't like what they saw. 

Watched OSU-Alabama tape w OSU coaches..Collins couldn't play

— Dan Dakich (@dandakich)

May 1, 2015

Word around the web is that GMs looked at the tape of Collins vs Ohio State's receivers and didn't like what they saw. 

Watched OSU-Alabama tape w OSU coaches..Collins couldn't play

— Dan Dakich (@dandakich)

May 1, 2015

Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks for posting. I suppose every player can have a bad game though.

We can stop the run by drafting best run-stoping NT, DE, DT, ILB, OLB, SS...

Or by putting a lot of points on board. With Andrew under center second way is better.

You can not win by stoping. you can win by scoring.

Can't completely disagree. But we have been riding that horse for the last almost 20 yrs. We had maybe the best QB ever in football, 1 possibly 2 HOG wide receivers and a great and then a pretty good RB... and we still couldn't get past the Pats, except for one year to win a SB.  I like the O. Liked it before the draft. Just looking for us to try to use the draft to acknowledge that we have glaring problems that are keeping us from being a somewhat balanced team. With Luck we are always going to lean toward being a O- strong team, but don't want to see us replicate what we have done- didn't work then and not likely to work often now.

Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks for posting. I suppose every player can have a bad game though.

I thought for sure Baltimore was gonna take Colins. Then I thought for sure Pittsburgh would grab him, then i was certain that the Colts would. Then I knew for a fact that either Seattle or New England would.

As it turns out, no one wanted to touch this guy in the first round. Lots of GMs are scared away by how bewildered he looks in coverage versus really talented receivers.

yes I watch the Colts via NFL ticket every week. We have no receivers WOW! It's the Pats D that took out our game plan. Not saying Grogs to be fired but fans can question picks, game calling, etc, That's what is being a fan. I have been a fan since 1972 soo don't tell me I'm not a Fan. I guess one is not a Fan unless they accept all moves and decisions like a compaby Yes person.

Re read my comment. I said if you fell into that category. 

Speedster Hilton worked out pretty well for this team. And he will be a FA next spring. So will Allen. And Fleener. Our top playmakers. So let's draft bully and let Andrew play with Carter, Swoope and rookie next year.

Yeah, like all those guys are leaving. Maybe one of the tight ends, but that's it. Plus AJ and Moncrief are still on the team.

When you set back and think it through, you realize that we drafted another project player. He's a bust before he hits the field because of where he was drafted.

Grigson said he looked at his board for something that stood out and he Dorsett's speed. That's not BPA or NEED, that was knee jerk reaction.

Now let's look at Dorsett. Positives- speed. Negatives- size, poor route runner, and catches ball with bad hand positioning. That means it will be at least 3 years before he gets most of his problems straightened out (see T.Y.).

Now Dorsett doesn't look like a 1st rounder and was not BPA.

Mayock doesn't agree PICK ANALYSIS:

"Dorsett is fast and he's tough. He can just accelerate off the line of scrimmage. He catches the ball easily. When he gets vertical, forget about it. He has rare ability." -- Mike Mayock

You guys will feel better about the draft in the next few days when we start adding defensive players. Serviceable, run-stopping lineman can be had in later rounds.

Dorsett may prove to be a major weapon immediately. This offense may top Denver ' s 2014 squad. There's plenty of reason to be optimistic.

Yes. I am very happy that Brown was there and we took him. Very similar to when Wilfork fell to us #21 back in 2004.

How come the Colts did not take the safety Collins? I thought for sure they would take him or Brown.

Maybe they don't think Collins or Brown are very good ? 

Maybe they don't think Collins or Brown are very good ? 

Someone posted that Grig had Brown as a second round selection on his board so he liked him but not in the first. I don't know about Collins but don't you have only one safety on your roster?

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

If Brown was good enough for Belichick at #32 it's hard for me to process Grigsons's BPA "and it wasn't close" comment regarding Dorsett.

Let's hope Dorsett explodes opposing pass defenses and justifies his #29 selection beyond question.

but what is funny about the dorsett pick is, all i heard Grigson and Pagano talk about was punt returning. Is that the reason they drafted him? was to be a return guy? that is how i took it. and if that is the case we wasted a first rounder on a returner. 

Someone posted that Grig had Brown as a second round selection on his board so he liked him but not in the first. I don't know about Collins but don't you have only one safety on your roster?

well we signed Lowery, who played for Atlanta last year. but their defense was worst then indy's defense last year 

Grigson's first round pick history:

2012 - Andrew Luck (no credit for this pick, you'd have to have been blind, deaf, and living under a rock to not pick Luck)

2013 - Werner (not a bust, but certainly not deserving of a first round pick in our defense, and doesn't live up to the hype Grigson and Pagano gave him)

2014 - traded for Trent Richardson (bust)

2015 - Dorsett (a pass catcher on a team loaded with pass catchers while not drafting several defensive players that could have really helped the team immediately)

Grigson's approach seems a little on the emotional side to me.  "Woah!  Frank Gore is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he will be 32 when the season starts and already has nearly 2500 carries and 11000+ yards.  "Woah!  Andre Johnson is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he'll be 34 when the season starts and is starting to show signs of declining.  "Woah!  Trent Cole is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he'll be 33 before the midway point of the season.  "Woah!  This Werner guy can bat balls down like JJ Watt?  Let's draft him"...and ignore the fact that he doesn't fit in our defense/our defensive coaches have shown that they can't utilize talent to its maximum potential.

I'm starting to hop on the fire Grigson bandwagon

The Andre Johnson deal and Trent Cole deals are very good if they both have just ONE ( 1) good year. We can cut Johnson after year one with just a 2 mil cap hit. Cole has only a 1 mill cap hit after year one. Yes these guys are both a bit past their primes but salaries at 7 mill with little money guaranteed after year one is very reasonable. The alternative is to pay huge money for players that their teams decided not to re up after their first contract. Mike Wallace and all those 9 mill $ O lineman that bused out come to mind. It's not perfect but I think Grigson's plan is pretty solid. Draft well and fill the holes with vets on 2 year contracts.

If you count the ones that are good ... we have 1 safety.  Can't argue that one.

but what is funny about the dorsett pick is, all i heard Grigson and Pagano talk about was punt returning. Is that the reason they drafted him? was to be a return guy? that is how i took it. and if that is the case we wasted a first rounder on a returner. 

If you spend some time watching his tape, he is CLEARLY more than a return man. This is a guy capable of 100+ catches and 1,500 yards, easy. 

I watched the film on him on the NFL network and he was dominating DB's. He did average 28 yards a catch and score 10 TD's on less than 40 catches. Also played with a freshman QB . 

Averaged over 25 yards per catch. Half of his receptions were for 25 plus yards. Oh, and he can return kicks and punts. Project? Erik Armstead is a project.

has trouble getting open in the short to intermediate areas.  This is due to poor route running.  At this time, Dorsett is only a deep threat like T.Y. was in his 1st few years

Don't know what other speed guy you are talking about but Dorsett can be more than that. He has TY Hilton qualities. He drafted one speed guy in four years in the first round. It's not like he's infatuated with them.

Was talking about the Raiders and their drafting of speed WRs.

I agree, Dorsett can be a good WR, but he, like T.Y., is a project.

Mayock doesn't agree PICK ANALYSIS:

"Dorsett is fast and he's tough. He can just accelerate off the line of scrimmage. He catches the ball easily. When he gets vertical, forget about it. He has rare ability." -- Mike Mayock

I respect Mayock, but you have to have more than straight line speed.  Dorsett's weakness are poor route running in short and intermediate areas.  Uses poor hand positioning when catching and he is only 5'9.

Everything but his size can be coached up.  He will need at least 3 years to really be productive (see T.Y.).

Let um jump NCF. It seems it's always the same ones who have a problem with everything the Colts do. I really wonder if they are really Colt fans in the first place.

Preach , I can only take this "fan board" in small doses during the off-season because consistently over-reacting is what the "fans" on this board do the most haha.

Was talking about the Raiders and their drafting of speed WRs.

I agree, Dorsett can be a good WR, but he, like T.Y., is a project.

How is TY a project? We must have different definitions. Projects don't start in their second season in the league.

Grigson's first round pick history:

2012 - Andrew Luck (no credit for this pick, you'd have to have been blind, deaf, and living under a rock to not pick Luck)

2013 - Werner (not a bust, but certainly not deserving of a first round pick in our defense, and doesn't live up to the hype Grigson and Pagano gave him)

2014 - traded for Trent Richardson (bust)

2015 - Dorsett (a pass catcher on a team loaded with pass catchers while not drafting several defensive players that could have really helped the team immediately)

Grigson's approach seems a little on the emotional side to me.  "Woah!  Frank Gore is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he will be 32 when the season starts and already has nearly 2500 carries and 11000+ yards.  "Woah!  Andre Johnson is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he'll be 34 when the season starts and is starting to show signs of declining.  "Woah!  Trent Cole is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he'll be 33 before the midway point of the season.  "Woah!  This Werner guy can bat balls down like JJ Watt?  Let's draft him"...and ignore the fact that he doesn't fit in our defense/our defensive coaches have shown that they can't utilize talent to its maximum potential.

I'm starting to hop on the fire Grigson bandwagon

We're loaded with pass catchers at the WR position?

With all due respect, you just bemoaned the fact that Andre Johnson is old.

Beyond T.Y. Hilton and the aging Johnson, who are our proven pass catchers?  Moncrief?  He had a solid rookie year but it's a sample size of one season thus far.  Carter?  Might not even make the team.

How many guys come along with 4.27 speed and great ball skills? Not many.  Dorsett projects to be a good one.  In 3 years, the only starting WRs on the Colts may very well be Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett.