Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No faith at all for Duran carter?

BProland85

I'm at a loss here. Why did Grigs go with WR Philip Dorsett? I'm not happy at all. No safety, no OT, nobody on defense. What the hades man?! 

The Giants take OG Ereck Flowers because they get the importance of protecting their franchise QB. What are we doing wasting a 1st round pick on a WR? Is this because TY Hilton is represented by Drew Rosenhouse & Grigs thinks TY will demand too much money when his second contract rolls around? 

How does a 5 ft 10 guy in Dorsett help Andrew exactly? I prefer my WRs & TEs at least 6ft on average anyway. I'm just bewildered right now. I want Luck protected darn it. Grrr! 

All I gotta say is Grigs better start impressing me tomorrow night, because a WR in the 1st round was the last thing I was hoping for. I'm so ticked off right now. When you stun Mike Mayock & Michael Irvin at the same time for a bizarre out of left field pick that's not good. 

Grigs, I hope you know what you're doing man. Surplus pass rushers I'm cool with not WRs though. Someone's got to explain to me why Grigs did this. I'm furious actually. 

I need to shut up before I blow my top & say something I will regret later. SMH. 

Is any fan in INDY happy about picking up Phillip Dorsett? I doubt it. I'm sure he's a fine athlete & a nice kid so I'm not slamming his god given talents BTW. Is this really who Ryan Grigson thought was the best player available when we picked? You have got to be kidding me. We are all scratching our heads right now. It's like if you own 55 pairs of the same shoes & you buy another pair just in case you misplace them all. Huh?

We had other pressing needs & this move did not our club's SB aspirations closer at all. I wanted to feel excited tonight not dumbfounded man.  

Is any fan in INDY happy about picking up Phillip Dorsett?

It's like if you own 55 pairs of the same shoes & you buy another pair just in case you misplace them all. Huh?

I'm not in INDY, but I'm happy with it.  But then again I have lots of shoes too.

Is any fan in INDY happy about picking up Phillip Dorsett? I doubt it. I'm sure he's a fine athlete & a nice kid so I'm not slamming his god given talents BTW. Is this really who Ryan Grigson thought was the best player available when we picked? You have got to be kidding me. We are all scratching our heads right now. It's like if you own 55 pairs of the same shoes & you buy another pair just in case you misplace them all. Huh?

We had other pressing needs & this move did not our club's SB aspirations closer at all. I wanted to feel excited tonight not dumbfounded man.  

He's by far the best player available. If he was 2 inches taller he'd be touted as the best receiver in the draft. 

With the selection of Dorsett, carter probably won't even see the field until Andre retires. Dont get the pick at all with so many defensive needs.

This takes all the pressure off Carter to deliver as a rookie.

Look,  I wanted Goldman.    I've been banging that table for him for months.    And he was available when we picked.

But Dorsett was much, much higher on Grigson's board and he followed his board.   I'm not going to hammer the guy for doing that.     What's the point of spending a year gathering information and stacking a board,  and then by-passing a much higher ranked player for a need.

Was Goldman a good pick?     I would think so.    Does he address a need?     You bet.

But,  according to Grigson,  Dorsett was ranked much, much higher.    I have no reason not to believe him.

I'm not in INDY, but I'm happy with it.  But then again I have lots of shoes too.

Okay, I'm pleased to hear that you are happy PB. I guess one could make the argument that like comfortable shoes no QB every says "You know, I really have too many weapons at my disposal can we trade a few of them away?" Touche. 

From my perspective, it was a wasted pick given our needs on defense, in the secondary, or keeping Luck upright. When you see what Jacksonville did drafting LB Dante Fowler to sack Andrew this season, I just thought it was a foolish move. 

He's by far the best player available. If he was 2 inches taller he'd be touted as the best receiver in the draft. 

I will be the 1st to admit I'm no draft wizard SS & perhaps WR Phillip Dorsett will be as electric on offense as TY Hilton is now so you might be right eventually. I'm just a firm believer in 3 things: A superior offensive line, a relentless pass rush, & a RB that runs between the tackles always falling forward. 

Perhaps Grigs thinks our o-line is top notch. It isn't. We are improved yes, but we need more help & why get Gore if your line can't create lanes to run through? WR was a luxury we didn't need as opposed to a necessity to me. JMO. 

When will people get it??? It's not about need!!! People that are all upset and mad right now have yourselves to blame. You simply won't accept and realize the fact that the Colts don't draft according to need. They stick to their board and going BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!! They say this over and over again in their draft press conferences. It's nothing new. If you you dont wanna realize and accept it then you will continuously be dissapointed and upset. So enjoy!!!

Andrew luck passes to 6 wr a game. Tom brady passes to more than that, including ineligible players. This isnt a steve young to rice or peyton to marvin harrison league anymore. Luck, brady, peyton, and aaron rodgers throw to various wr in one game. The game grows. Duron carter will get his reps. Plenty!

Keep in mind Cherilus may be ready and healthy. He was solid when he was not injured and if he is healthy we don't need an OT.

Chapman should be one year better and a healthy Art Jones will make a big difference.

But what if Hilton goes elsewhere after this season or we suffer a WR injury?

I am willing to see how the rest of the draft finishes,training camp and league cuts before I make a panic judgement

When will people get it??? It's not about need!!! People that are all upset and mad right now have yourselves to blame. You simply won't accept and realize the fact that the Colts don't draft according to need. They stick to their board and going BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!! They say this over and over again in their draft press conferences. It's nothing new. If you you dont wanna realize and accept it then you will continuously be dissapointed and upset. So enjoy!!!

With all due respect, if you neglect a glaring void that's gonna subject your QB to continued unnecessary hits our dreams of winning a championship are dead in the water. So, if the next 3 drafts were overflowing with WRs would you keep drafting them regardless of the hits & hurried throws your field general was scrambling to get away from? If Andrew goes down, INDY is done. 

I get what you're saying Weslo, but let's just say that no GM can always grab the best player available because if your QB gets hurt you lose games & coaching staffs get fired just ask Jim Caldwell. 2011 ring a bell? 

I don't think it's that they don't have faith in Carter, it's just that we have Andre Johnson on the squad who does everything that Carter would offer.  Add that to the fact that Carter isn't that fast and can't return punts and kicks like Dorsett will be able to.  Carter hasn't proven anything in this league and doesn't have any rare traits so it's best that he sit back and soak up everything he possibly can from Andre Johnson, be patient and his chance will come for sure.  Hanging around with Andre Johnson will turn him into a real good player for us.  There are going to be times this year when we will have to call his number assuming he makes the team of course. 

With all due respect, if you neglect a glaring void that's gonna subject your QB to continued unnecessary hits our dreams of winning a championship are dead in the water. So, if the next 3 drafts were overflowing with WRs would you keep drafting them regardless of the hits & hurried throws your field general was scrambling to get away from? If Andrew goes down, INDY is done.

I get what you're saying Weslo, but let's just say that no GM can always grab the best player available because if your QB gets hurt you lose games & coaching staffs get fired just ask Jim Caldwell. 2011 ring a bell?

I understand your point. And its true...at times...the need will come into play. But in this cases and most its BPA. The Colts have holes. But the player they selected talent far exceeded that of those who we could have picked to fill a need. So we took him.

I don't think it's that they don't have faith in Carter, it's just that we have Andre Johnson on the squad who does everything that Carter would offer.  Add that to the fact that Carter isn't that fast and can't return punts and kicks like Dorsett will be able to.  Carter hasn't proven anything in this league and doesn't have any rare traits so it's best that he sit back and soak up everything he possibly can from Andre Johnson, be patient and his chance will come for sure.  Hanging around with Andre Johnson will turn him into a real good player for us.  There are going to be times this year when we will have to call his number assuming he makes the team of course. 

Okay, Dorsett on punt returns is something I didn't consider. Thanks krunk. I find that use of his speed intriguing. I feel a little better now. Plus, shorter dudes under 6 ft are usually elusive AKA just like NE's Julian Edelman when he returned punts for Belichick so it might work nicely who knows right? 

Hopefully, unlike Josh Cribbs Phillip Dorsett knows when to kneel in the endzone rather than think every punt needs to be taken to the house. LOL! 

Okay, Dorsett on punt returns is something I didn't consider. Thanks krunk. I find that use of his speed intriguing. I feel a little better now. 

Yeah we're a lot more versatile now with Dorsett too. We've got 3 legit 4.3 players at the WR position in Moncrief, Dorsett, and Hilton to prevent the double teams. The real cool thing I like about Dorsett is he's a slot receiver running 4.27.  That is going to cause a heck of a lot of dilemmas up the seams.  I think we are going to get a lot of favorable defensive looks to run against.  It will really be a big dilemma if Grigson drafts a guy like Tevin Coleman or Duke Johnson to go along with Gore.  I'm pretty convinced that the running game should be very effective this year.  

The added bonus is Coleman and Duke Johnson both should be pretty good receivers so they have additonal value in the passing game.  I'm expecting us to start addressing the Defense and O Line after the 2nd round I think.  Could be possible in the 2nd, but I'm expecting a running back unless there's ILB there who pop on film more than the two running backs I mentioned. 

I understand your point. And its true...at times...the need will come into play. But in this cases and most its BPA. The Colts have holes. But the player they selected talent far exceeded that of those who we could have picked to fill a need. So we took him.

Sorry Weslo, I wasn't really upset at you personally. Talking to everybody on here is making me realize that maybe I need to wait until the draft is concluded so I can see Grigs entire vision/ selection process before I fly off at the handle. Thanks for your patience with me. I appreciate it. 

Yeah we're a lot more versatile now with Dorsett too. We've got 3 legit 4.3 players at the WR position in Moncrief, Dorsett, and Hilton to prevent the double teams. The real cool thing I like about Dorsett is he's a slot receiver running 4.27.  That is going to cause a heck of a lot of dilemmas up the seams.  I think we are going to get a lot of favorable defensive looks to run against.  It will really be a big dilemma if Grigson drafts a guy like Tevin Coleman or Duke Johnson to go along with Gore.  I'm pretty convinced that the running game should be very effective this year.  

The added bonus is Coleman and Duke Johnson both should be pretty good receivers so they have additonal value in the passing game.  I'm expecting us to start addressing the Defense and O Line after the 2nd round I think.  Could be possible in the 2nd, but I'm expecting a running back unless there's ILB there who pop on film more than the two running backs I mentioned. 

Too many weapons to stop on offense. Yeah, I can see where they might give opposing defensive coordinators problems. 

"I'm expecting us to start addressing the Defense and O Line after the 2nd round I think." Music to my ears man. Perhaps, Grigs saw better value in day 2 from studying college game film. I sincerely hope so. 

If Grigs shows me tomorrow night that he's committed to protecting Luck, I will be a very happy man. Enough said. 

I will be shocked if he even makes the team

You don't draft the supposed best player available on your board if you don't think he will even make the team.... that would just be ridiculous... he is going to be on the team.

Unless you are referring to Carter, who I genuinely think might not make the team now.

1st   - 2nd   - 3rd            - 4th          - 5th

TY   - AJ     -  Moncrief   - Dorsett    - Carter / Brown / Whalen

I don't see us carrying more than 5 WRs this season when the 1st through 4th string could probably all be starters, that's just great depth. Especially when we have two premier TE's in Fleener and Allen to catch the ball as well... I can see the possible 6th WR space being used for needed depth elsewhere. Carters seat just got a whole lot warmer...

The Duron Carter hype is ridiculous. He's less proven than Vincent Brown.

Colts are simply giving a CFL player a chance. Let's see what he makes of it.

Exactly Carter is a project it is Duron not Cris. The same kid who couldn't make the Vikes PS just 2 yrs ago

with all the Defensive Ends drafted around the league, with the Texans as loaded defensively as they are coming into the 2015-2016 campaign, with the Titans getting a franchise QB, with Jacksonville getting a defensive stud and the Titans and J-ville having many more sound draft picks ahead, combine that with our ineptitude at stopping the run & protecting Andrew Luck / and the absolute hunger for a safety, O-line pics, & D-line picks, this draft pick just reeks of Grigson's selfishness and Pagano's weak-spined defensive approach to the draft.  He's deferring to Grigson and has been brainwashed into thinking that you ALWAYS take the best player available.  How in the world does Irsay, Pagano, and our other draft gurus just sit there and let this happen.  It's going to be another LONG wait for our next pick and so forth for every other round.  This is a shocker in so many negative ways.  You can't hit a receiver like this when you are running for your life.  There will be more youth and talent coming at us this coming year than ever before.  Take the blinders off Grigson, you let the safety we needed go to the Patriots? Wow. You let Flowers and a host of other possibilities get vaccuumed right up by the end of the 1st round and teams getting ready to draft in the 2nd round way, way ahead of us.  You sir better be pulling some rabbits out of your hat.  11-5 or 10-6 and getting blasted by the Patriots again is just utterly going to be embarrasing. I wish us luck in the later rounds, because we are going to need it. Best available overall pick in the late 2nd round too?  Don't be surprised.  smh.

This takes all the pressure off Carter to deliver as a rookie.

Look,  I wanted Goldman.    I've been banging that table for him for months.    And he was available when we picked.

But Dorsett was much, much higher on Grigson's board and he followed his board.   I'm not going to hammer the guy for doing that.     What's the point of spending a year gathering information and stacking a board,  and then by-passing a much higher ranked player for a need.

Was Goldman a good pick?     I would think so.    Does he address a need?     You bet.

But,  according to Grigson,  Dorsett was ranked much, much higher.    I have no reason not to believe him.

Have you noticed that the more rational a post may be, the less likely it is to get a response?  In all the nonsense of this thread and others about the pick, this is the hands down winner.  It makes less than zero sense to spend all the money and time - the man hours involved alone have to be enormous - to create your draft board and then at the moment of truth go against it to pick a need.  I am sure that if there was a safety or any other defensive position of need rated similarly to Dorsett, they would have picked that guy so clearly he was rated significantly higher.  You HAVE to take that player in an instance like this.

Have you noticed that the more rational a post may be, the less likely it is to get a response?  In all the nonsense of this thread and others about the pick, this is the hands down winner.  It makes less than zero sense to spend all the money and time - the man hours involved alone have to be enormous - to create your draft board and then at the moment of truth go against it to pick a need.  I am sure that if there was a safety or any other defensive position of need rated similarly to Dorsett, they would have picked that guy so clearly he was rated significantly higher.  You HAVE to take that player in an instance like this.

you don't HAVE to do anything as such when you are loaded at that position.  common sense yields way to impulsive, reactionary, hyperbolic, video shock-n-awe draft decisions?  #baddrafting

I tried to give you a "like"....

But apparently, I'm out for half the day....

I don't get my new daily allotment until the afternoon....

Strange how that works.......?

Its kinda interesting/amusing hanging back here just refreshing my notifications reading all the meltdown posts coming in left and right while I remain perfectly calm knowing the Colts have at the very least 8 more picks

you don't HAVE to do anything as such when you are loaded at that position.  common sense yields way to impulsive, reactionary, hyperbolic, video shock-n-awe draft decisions?  #baddrafting

Yeah, this pick was anything but impulsive and reactionary.  In fact just the opposite.  I would say you don't actually know what those words mean if you apply them to this situation.

Duran Carter is an experiment making a minimal salary. If he pans out, great, but any reasonable football person doesn't expect him to come in and be a stud. There's a reason he played in the CFL and no NFL team wanted him. The uneducated fans in this board are in love because he's big and the son of a hall of famer

With the selection of Dorsett, carter probably won't even see the field until Andre retires. Dont get the pick at all with so many defensive needs.

that's the thing with nfl fans... They all get so mad when teams don't draft what they need. The thing is the draft isn't meant for filling needs its about building your team for years to come. And no there isn't much faith for carter. In fact I bet the only reason you want Carter and know who he is is because of his dad... There is not a single chance that he will end up even close to his dads career

that's the thing with nfl fans... They all get so mad when teams don't draft what they need. The thing is the draft isn't meant for filling needs its about building your team for years to come. And no there isn't much faith for carter. In fact I bet the only reason you want Carter and know who he is is because of his dad... There is not a single chance that he will end up even close to his dads career

If you watch Grigs & Pags post day 1 press conference on Phillip Dorsett, Duron Carter was never even mentioned once so I fail to see your point in even mentioning him. It's not a direct comparison between 2 players or an indictment on 1 guy's skill set over another to me. Yes, I realize that the title of this thread pertains to Carter himself, but if I were Grigs, I would have immediately said "I know some fans are probably confused right now. We went with Phillip because of his special teams prowess i.e. speed." You don't take a WR when we have a surplus of talent at that position not with a 1st round pick. 

I know Grigs said that Phillip had high marks on their board & no one expected him to be sitting there, but usually in round 1 you can find premier talent at other positions. I just wanna know that Grigs isn't going to make me scratch my head in disbelief again as in what in the world are we doing? 

I will give Mr. Dorsett a fair chance to win me over. That's how I roll. 

You don't draft the supposed best player available on your board if you don't think he will even make the team.... that would just be ridiculous... he is going to be on the team.

Unless you are referring to Carter, who I genuinely think might not make the team now.

1st   - 2nd   - 3rd            - 4th          - 5th

TY   - AJ     -  Moncrief   - Dorsett    - Carter / Brown / Whalen

I don't see us carrying more than 5 WRs this season when the 1st through 4th string could probably all be starters, that's just great depth. Especially when we have two premier TE's in Fleener and Allen to catch the ball as well... I can see the possible 6th WR space being used for needed depth elsewhere. Carters seat just got a whole lot warmer...

Correct Carter will unlikely make the team