Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Workout Tyler Lockett

He would also upgrade special teams 4 career KR's to go with 2 PR 2 tds at KSU. It's a deep WR draft I would bet he's up there on our board I could see him falling to us.

We have 9 picks and it looks like we are interested in a WR somewhere along the way.

He would also upgrade special teams 4 career KR's to go with 2 PR 2 tds at KSU. It's a deep WR draft I would bet he's up there on our board I could see him falling to us.

We have 9 picks and it looks like we are interested in a WR somewhere along the way.

This I agree with

People aren't going to like to hear this but with TY hiring Drew Rosenhaus we may be preparing for not being able to resign TY at a reasonable amount. I know we want to lock him up. I want to lock him up but we have to have a top dollar we are willing to spend on a WR. If nothing gets done and he gets to test the waters there is no telling which way that thing could go.

I think Rosenhaus is a clear signal TY wants to get paid. You look at his numbers if he stays on track they are going to be way better than what Cobb has put up in 4 years and he got 10m a year. Cobb has one thousand yard year TY will more than likely put up his 3rd in a row. He has more receiving yards in 3 years than Cobb did in 4.

That and we are not as set at WR as everyone seems to think we are. We have TY an aging AJ. Moncrief looks like he has a future in the league but has only played one year. Beyond that we have nothing but question marks. Carter has never played a down. Brown has an injury history. Whalen isn't a top NFL receiver.

People aren't going to like to hear this but with TY hiring Drew Rosenhaus we may be preparing for not being able to resign TY at a reasonable amount. I know we want to lock him up but we have to have a top dollar we are willing to spend.

TY is one of like 4 good players on our roster. That would be huge loss.

He'd be a great slot possesion guy for us. If we could get him in the 3-4th rounds (very doubtful), I'd be all for it. 

Just think of the WR core: Hilton, Johnson, Moncrief, Lockett, Carter  O.o

He's a lot more than a possession slot receiver

He's a lot more than a possession slot receiver

But that would be his immediate fit in our offense. Sure the amazing WR core is great for us as a team, but for Lockett as a rookie it drastically limits his opportunities. We don't have a WR on the current roster that would be a better possession WR, so that would be his best immediate fit, IMO. 

TY is one of like 4 good players on our roster. That would be huge loss.

I totally agree I think we need to do everything we can to lock him up but do we pay him $12M a year? Probably nothing to worry about the name Rosenhaus just makes me nervous

TY numbers speak for themselves. He hasn't put up huge TD numbers but yardage and catches he's got to be right up there with the who's who in the NFL for their 1st 3 yrs I expect another 1,000 yard season

It has the potential to be a problem

I know the happiest person in this thread is Dustin.   He's had a man crush on Lockett since he stole some poor defensive back's soul in a senior bowl workout!

I just don't see how this happens?     One would think that RB is more important than WR.    One would think that O-line is more important than WR.     One would think all sorts of defensive positions would be more important than WR.

And if we don't make a serious commitment to drafting some defensive help in this draft,  then when are we?    At some point, we have to get more talented on defense.   And it's never going to happen if defense is just a bunch of 28-32 year old free agents.

I love Lockett and have a high 3rd round grade on him,  but would not be surprised to see him go in the 2nd.    I don't see how he ends up with the Colts?

I know the happiest person in this thread is Dustin. He's had a man crush on Lockett since he stole some poor defensive back's soul in a senior bowl workout!

I just don't see how this happens? One would think that RB is more important than WR. One would think that O-line is more important than WR. One would think all sorts of defensive positions would be more important than WR.

And if we don't make a serious commitment to drafting some defensive help in this draft, then when are we? At some point, we have to get more talented on defense. And it's never going to happen if defense is just a bunch of 28-32 year old free agents.

I love Lockett and have a high 3rd round grade on him, but would not be surprised to see him go in the 2nd. I don't see how he ends up with the Colts?

Crazy things happen on draft day. I wouldn't go reaching for a WR but if Lockett was somehow still on the board at 93 there he'd be a steal and a no brainer.

Really?     Seriously?

Than ANY 2nd round back?

So,  after Gurley and Gordon,  you value Lockett more than any other RB in the draft?

Yeah, I think he's better than them, and plays a more priority position with long term impact. Duke, Ajayi, Abdullah, Coleman... who am I missing? I'd rather have Lockett than any of them, and I like them all. I also think two or three of them will be gone by #61. Coleman would probably last the longest because of his injuries, and that's just another reason I'd rather have Lockett. The first three can be returners also, but so can Lockett.

I'm about as big a fan as Dustin.

I'd take him at #61. I think Grigs has filled all of the immediate holes on the team during free agency, so upgrading positions with BPA can be done via the draft. Certainly a play-making slot receiver with wiggle and YAC potential would provide a different skill set than who would play there now (I see Moncrief and AJ sharing #2 duties.....possibly Moncrief or Whalen and Lockett sharing the slot).

Probably a defensive player at #29 would be the BPA, or maybe a trade down.

From krunk's link/article: 

"I've heard coaches say the value that I bring, inside, outside, returns, punt returns, not too many people do that." 

Are we looking at Mr. Lockett to replace Josh Cribbs on special teams? I'll buy that. I like my WRs & TEs at least 6 ft not 5' 10 because they are easier to spot in traffic if Luck needs to improvise on the fly. 

From krunk's link/article:

"I've heard coaches say the value that I bring, inside, outside, returns, punt returns, not too many people do that."

Are we looking at Mr. Lockett to replace Josh Cribbs on special teams? I'll buy that. I like my WRs & TEs at least 6 ft not 5' 10 because they are easier to spot in traffic if Luck needs to improvise on the fly.

You wouldn't want Edelman? That's the kind of receiver he will be.

Good slot guy.

I'd take him if he fell to the 4th but we have too many defensive holes for me to take him before then.

He's more than a just a slot guy. The guy can play across the board. Plus his return skills are top notch. He's much better than where he's being projected.

You wouldn't want Edelman? That's the kind of receiver he will be.

That's pretty high praise for a guy I haven't seen play 1 down of NFL ball yet wig. Let's hold off on any mini tron comparisons just yet shall we. 

I'm not discounting your assertion wig; However, the transition from college to the pros is seldom a seamless transition & some WRs never live up to their potential draft stock either. 

That's pretty high praise for a guy I haven't seen play 1 down of NFL ball yet wig. Let's hold off on any mini tron comparisons just yet shall we.

I'm not discounting your assertion wig; However, the transition from college to the pros is seldom a seamless transition & some WRs never live up to their potential draft stock either.

I compared him to a guy with 1,000 yards or 100 catches once in six years, not a perennial all- pro. I think he'll be better than that.

Would love to have Lockette also. Like Carter, great NFL bloodlines, Dad played and he was really good. Lockett would be a great slot, plus returner, and a few reverses. I know we don't need to go offense, but I would not mind if he was there in the second, but I think he goes early second. He is going to be a steal. I like him over many of the tall receivers.

This is a guy I really like. A student of the game, and extremely intelligent kid. Really good route runner, long speed, quickness/burst, and sticky hands. What's not to like about him, seriously? His inability to be 6'4? This guy is going to be a stud. I have my heart set on a defensive heavy draft, and I'd rather take him in the 3rd, but he's going to be a big time riser come draft time. I could honestly see him going in the first.

I compared him to a guy with 1,000 yards or 100 catches once in six years, not a perennial all- pro. I think he'll be better than that.

If the Colts land Lockett & he flourishes like you think he will wig, I will give you full credit for your NFL insight. You have my word. 

Receiver is our deepest position. We need defense.

That's hypothetical... Andre and TY are really the only receivers who have proved themselves. We hope Moncrief can keep progressing, but he's still relatively unknown and Carter hasn't done anything yet professionally. Adding Lockette would be an insurance policy in case Moncrief or Carter have set backs. Lockette would also push Cribbs and his salary out the door because he is good in the return game and can be even more valuable as a receiver. It would be far from a wasted pick if the Colts were to get him.

I dont want us to go offense any sooner then the 6th round. this needs to be mostly a defensive draft

I understand your argument for a top heavy defensive draft but I'd preface that with "IF" a OT worthy of a first round pick falls to us, we have to have a better RT option for the future if not this year as we are not certain how well Cherilous is going to come back this year.other than that, I don't want anymore offense guys in the first 2 days. The oline is equally as wreak as our defense so whatever player is there with our #1 pick, they have to make an impact on either side. A bust won't suffice here and you can't reach for potential ceiling guys