Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign UDFA Demarco Cox

RockThatBlue

He should know the basics

Unlike Swoope and Adongo he will not need to learn the basics of the sport during his early mini camps and TC

He may have played football all his life prior to high school for all we know. Football's not rocket science, so I see no reason why he couldn't "re-learn" it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a BIG project...in both senses of the word. Playing HS football and then moving to the pro game....even the verbage will be a problem for the kid. The physicality of the position and the strength that he will have to build in areas he hasn't had to have them at this guy is a ways off from contributing...I always like bringing guys into camp though...competition is great..ask Seattle.

i'm glad our GM and Head Coach are looking everywhere, he's a project player. . .so what?  His size and the fact that he played basketball at least means he has adequate feet.  Grigs an co think he is at least worth taking a look at.  People so quick to grade a guy that 24 hours ago they never heard of. SMH :scratch:  :dunno:  :facepalm:

I like that Grigson rolls the dice with these diamonds in the rough; guys that are probably on no one's radar. But I don't think he's been as aggressive with addressing the more serious issues; namely the offensive and defensive lines. Why not take a chance on a guy such as Richie Incognito last year when the offensive line was very porous and inept?

He had to do something right in HS

that is my thought also. I mean those schools don't just offer anyone a scholarship. you have to be very good. 

I'm not commenting on the signing or this guy's abilities just these posts and similar ones.

So what if those big schools offered him a scholarship, I'm sure he was a very good HS player else they would not have made the offer.  But not every scholarship player that plays in college for 4 or 5 years makes it in the NFL, the chances are even less for someone that never played in college.  I guarantee you the college coaches teach more than HS coaches, not only technique, but how to study film, how to read a complicated defense, how to prepare your body for the pounding it takes, how to study a complicated playbook, etc.  To think the guy will go from never have done that to competing for a spot in a few months is wishful thinking.  If he, or anyone else, thought he had a chance of playing this year he would probably enter the draft.  He's a practice squad player who may be able to compete for a spot in 2016.

I'm not commenting on the signing or this guy's abilities just these posts and similar ones.

So what if those big schools offered him a scholarship, I'm sure he was a very good HS player else they would not have made the offer.  But not every scholarship player that plays in college for 4 or 5 years makes it in the NFL, the chances are even less for someone that never played in college.  I guarantee you the college coaches teach more than HS coaches, not only technique, but how to study film, how to read a complicated defense, how to prepare your body for the pounding it takes, how to study a complicated playbook, etc.  To think the guy will go from never have done that to competing for a spot in a few months is wishful thinking.  If he, or anyone else, thought he had a chance of playing this year he would probably enter the draft.  He's a practice squad player who may be able to compete for a spot in 2016.

Those things are taught at the HS level too

Those things are taught at the HS level too

Oh my word.  No they are not and not to near the level.  There is a reason NFL teams like players with college experience.  There is a reason why it's called they have a college draft and not a high school draft.

But it doesn't really matter, go on a believe he is going to compete for a 53 man roster spot.  But as an example, and probably why the took a chance to sign this guy, Reitz was on the practice squad for three years before moving to the active roster.

Hate seeing us "reach" for a roster spot player. There were enough FA Olinemne available last week.

I we were erious about RT candidates, why didn't we go after Brian Bulaga from GB? Also, Wisniewski the C is available.

Hate seeing us "reach" for a roster spot player. There were enough FA Olinemne available last week.

It is really not too hard to understand.

Signing this guy and not signing the FA's last week have nothing to do with each other.

There is absolutely no harm in a move like this.  Take a flyer with a guy with his size and athleticism and if he can be stashed on the PS for a year and develops into a player, then they have a low risk, low cost high potential reward.  If not, cut him.  The roster's are 90 players right now - there is no downside.

It is really not too hard to understand.

Signing this guy and not signing the FA's last week have nothing to do with each other.

There is absolutely no harm in a move like this.  Take a flyer with a guy with his size and athleticism and if he can be stashed on the PS for a year and develops into a player, then they have a low risk, low cost high potential reward.  If not, cut him.  The roster's are 90 players right now - there is no downside.

Nicely put

yes sir. he was basketball player. played for Georgia Tech. in high school he had football scholarships to LSU, Bama and Ohio State. so maybe he is good enough to fix our RT hole?

I'm thinking at 6'8 298lb, if he doesn't work out at protecting a QB, he surely has the size to harass a QB

Move him to pass rush if the offense project fails

I don't know what the Colts are up to.  Maybe there's an NFL basketball league I am unaware of.  All we need now is a couple of guards and we have a team . . . Reitz and Swoope are our forwards, Cox can play center, how about Hilton at one of the guards,

I bet Davis could play the other guard, and of course, Luck would find his way onto the team at some position.  Maybe Pollard would make a comeback . . . or . . . maybe he could coach!

GO COLTS!

I agree. he has long arms, good size. my only question is, can he block? I would think so if he had scholorship offers from Bama, Lsu and Ohio State. but who knows. but isn't 6'8 to tall to be a offensive lineman? 

he will teach luck to arch his passes so watts cant block them

I don't know what the Colts are up to.  Maybe there's an NFL basketball league I am unaware of.  All we need now is a couple of guards and we have a team . . . Reitz and Swoope are our forwards, Cox can play center, how about Hilton at one of the guards,

I bet Davis could play the other guard, and of course, Luck would find his way onto the team at some position.  Maybe Pollard would make a comeback . . . or . . . maybe he could coach!

GO COLTS!

I''m sure Grigs and Pagano will be heavily scouting the NCAA tournament.

Why do we keep signing basketball players? We signed Erik Swoope and last year he wasn't too great for us given the limited number of downs he played (Im probably wrong so correct me if I am)

Swoope didn't play at all.    He was on the practice squad the entire year.

Ya gotta give Grigson an "A" for effort at trying to find players.

Cox looks like he has some promise having played the game before and even offered a football scholarship.

Grigs needs to be careful to not 'junk up' the Practice Squad with too many experiments though, because if we hit a rash of injuries at the end of the season (like we have in the past) we may need a PS guy or 2 to be activated and actually play. It would be nice if those guys were experienced in the game of football before coming here and practicing with the team those things that the Colts do specifically.