Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon Marshall could be released

Just seen on NFL Trade Rumors Marshall could possibly be released. What do you guys think about us going after him? He's a guy I think Grigs would want personally. I think he'd be a great addition and a perfect mentor to replace Reggie. Marshall, Hilton, Moncrief, and Carter would be unbelievable.

I don't think we'll go for him.

He's on the far side of 30 and he's going to want $10 Mill-plus per year.

We're about to give TYH almost that much money.

At some point, we need to focus our $$ at other parts of the roster.....

I don't think he'll command 10+M, Honestly he doesn't have that much value because of his age. I could see a 1-3 year deal of 4-7M annually as the price gets larger years smaller (ex. 1-7M, 2-12, 3-15).

It sounds like there will be a lot of options to choose from with the likes of Marshall, Wallace, VJax and Harvin all candidates for release.

If Brandon would accept somewhere in the neighborhood of 5/40 then I'd want him considerably more than any other available option short of Dez.

He would be a true red zone threat for Luck to rely upon outside of his tight ends. And he is a very good possession receiver capable of snagging 10-20 receptions in any given contest.

I don't think he'll command 10+M, Honestly he doesn't have that much value because of his age. I could see a 1-3 year deal of 4-7M annually as the price gets larger years smaller (ex. 1-7M, 2-12, 3-15).

Hey, if he becomes affordable,  I'd be all for signing him up.   Same with Larry Fitzgerald if he comes free from Arizona and wants a reasonable contract.   

For guys like that,  I'd throw some solid mid-range dollars their way.     :thmup:

He'd fit what we do scheme wise as a down the field/deep passing team I'd have to agree with that.

I could certainly be wrong about him possibly not being a team guy.  However I am so focused on us

becoming a better defensive team, and a better running team I haven't been on the look out for signing

a high priced FA WR.   Just hasn't been my mindset. For those reasons I haven't looked at obtaining

Marshall as a must have thing.  Maybe I'll reconsider later..   

I'm not a big fan of paying big bucks to get a guy who's rapidly approaching his "sell by" date.  OK, if you're one or two chess pieces away from a real run at a Lombardi, and that guy will get you over the hump, fine. Otherwise, you don't gain anything by clogging up a roster spot and burning cap money on a guy who will have to be replaced in a year or two anyway. The Colts are realistically still a couple of years away from a shot at the SB, so I'd have to say "thanks, but no thanks" to Mr. Marshall.

Why does everyone want every WR that is rumored to be released? No I don't want Marshall, Fitzgerald, Cobb, or whatever high priced FA WR that people with pipe dreams want. I'm fine with what we have. All we need is some cheap depth via the draft.

I don't understand why people hate WRs so much. I want good players at all positions. There's no reason to exclude WRs from the list.

I don't understand why people hate WRs so much. I want good players at all positions. There's no reason to exclude WRs from the list.

Because Luck has targets to throw to, they're really expensive, and there are much bigger needs.

Because Luck has targets to throw to, they're really expensive, and there are much bigger needs.

Those targets did nothing against NE in the playoffs. TY was doubled and everyone else disappeared. It's a much bigger need than people want to admit.

No thanks. Hilton Moncrief Carter and Whalen will be fine.

Carter has never played a down in the NFL and Whalen is limited in what he can do. Moncrief only in his second year we will need to do something at WR. I think signing a FA is almost a given especially if Reggie is done. I don't think it will be Brandon Marshall though.

I hope it is Cecil Shorts. We need a possession WR who can play in the league. I think Shorts could be the best of the FA's that are really avialble. He has managed to grab at least 50 balls for over 2,300 yards the last three years with nothing at QB in one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

We may even grab one in the draft too. We only have 2 proven WR's in this league and one is 36? How old is Reggie? Anyway he will be a year removed from the ACL so maybe he comes back to form a little more but I wouldn't count on it.

Why does everyone want every WR that is rumored to be released? No I don't want Marshall, Fitzgerald, Cobb, or whatever high priced FA WR that people with pipe dreams want. I'm fine with what we have. All we need is some cheap depth via the draft.

We only have TY Moncrief and Carter who's never played in the NFL. You really think all we need is some cheap talent via the draft?

Reggie Nicks are FA's even Griff is a RFA. Are you planning on resigning one of our guys at least?

Those targets did nothing against NE in the playoffs. TY was doubled and everyone else disappeared. It's a much bigger need than people want to admit.

I'm not going to judge the team off of one game. Team had one of the best passing games last season.

They aren't all expensive. And it doesn't matter if we have other needs. That's what the offseason is for, addressing needs. And WR is one of them.

Okay, let me rephrase. I don't want a WR that is brought in for anything more than the 2/3 guy.

Because WR is a plug and play position that can be elevated with good scheming and QB play. Luck made Donnie Avery look like a #1 receiver.  The 2 Superbowl teams had the worst combined receiving corps in recent memory. Plus WR's are always expensive. I'm not saying don't get a WR, but we don't need to break the bank on one. The reason GB gets rid of so many receivers is because they replace them easily by drafting and developing guys.

We only have TY Moncrief and Carter who's never played in the NFL. You really think all we need is some cheap talent via the draft?

Reggie Nicks are FA's even Griff is a RFA. Are you planning on resigning one of our guys at least?

Yes. We have an elite QB. And our staff has a penchant for developing WRs since the old staff. People are hitting panic mode with our WR's for no reason. Last season we got it done with just Hilton, Brazil, Whalen, and Rodgers. We'll be fine. We basically played this season without Wayne anyways.

Also in the spirit of the "Punters Are People Too" movement, I'm starting the "TE's are receivers Too" campaign. Seriously, you guys get so stuck on WR's and forget that TE's are also pass catchers, and we happen to have two good ones. Other teams are competitive with less, and a WR isn't the difference between winning the Superbowl and getting knocked out in the playoffs. People put too much emphasis on the WR position, and I'm not sure why.

Luck made Donnie Avery look like a #1 receiver.

The reason GB gets rid of so many receivers is because they replace them easily by drafting and developing guys.

Avery looked nothing like a #1 option with Luck throwing him the ball catching just 60 passes for 780 yds & 3 TDs. Luck is elite but he cannot turn water into wine.

I agree with your second statement, we should continually draft and develop our own but unfortunately we need a fix because the pipeline was busted, primarily due to the failures of Brazil and Rogers. We literally wasted 2 years on each player, years that could have been spent grooming other keepers.

The Colts are too close to contention to be relying on a corps of green wideouts. It would greatly benefit both Luck and Hilton if an experienced playmaker lined up opposite TY. That way Moncrief and Carter will have to compete to see the field. And in a season or two they will be fully developed.

Because WR is a plug and play position that can be elevated with good scheming and QB play. Luck made Donnie Avery look like a #1 receiver.  The 2 Superbowl teams had the worst combined receiving corps in recent memory. Plus WR's are always expensive. I'm not saying don't get a WR, but we don't need to break the bank on one. The reason GB gets rid of so many receivers is because they replace them easily by drafting and developing guys.

Yes. We have an elite QB. And our staff has a penchant for developing WRs since the old staff. People are hitting panic mode with our WR's for no reason. Last season we got it done with just Hilton, Brazil, Whalen, and Rodgers. We'll be fine. We basically played this season without Wayne anyways.

Also in the spirit of the "Punters Are People Too" movement, I'm starting the "TE's are receivers Too" campaign. Seriously, you guys get so stuck on WR's and forget that TE's are also pass catchers, and we happen to have two good ones. Other teams are competitive with less, and a WR isn't the difference between winning the Superbowl and getting knocked out in the playoffs. People put too much emphasis on the WR position, and I'm not sure why.

I agree with what you are saying but I still believe we need to sign a FA WR who can play outside.

I am not talking about a big name if Shorts for some reason gets money no problem moving on to someone else. I personally think he could blow up with a real QB but I am not married to him. We only have one WR with more than a years experience. NE and Seattle didn't have big names but they weren't running out rookies either.  

You can't just ignore the position and fill it with late draft picks and UDFA's

Actually you did say don't get one or rather implied it. I totally disagree that WR is a plug and play position for a rookie.

I am not caught up in the grab every FA available chatter, but Brandon Marshall is an amazing talent

He catches the ball with people draped all over him.

He has enormous wingspan. He is fast enough to get some separation

He is 6' 4" 230..,, with speed.

We haven't had that guy that gets the 50/50 ball most of the time.....

He had an off year because the Chicago OL was worse than ours ...(lesson maybe?)

I truly doubt we go for him, but if we did, I wouldn't be upset

I agree with what you are saying but I still believe we need to sign a FA WR who can play outside.

I am not talking about a big name if Shorts for some reason gets money no problem moving on to someone else. I personally think he could blow up with a real QB but I am not married to him. We only have one WR with more than a years experience. NE and Seattle didn't have big names but they weren't running out rookies either.  

You can't just ignore the position and fill it with late draft picks and UDFA's

That's pretty much what most teams do. Once you have a solid number 1 (for us Hitlon) and a clear number 2 (Moncrief), the rest of your WR's don't have to be that experienced or good as long as you have 3 solid pass catchers somewhere. We've got 4 solid pass catchers. You can bring in Whalen for depth and we know have Carter. You bring in either a cheap WR like shorts and then you get a late round draft pick or an early one if a can't miss prospect is there. But it doesn't go deeper than that.

Avery looked nothing like a #1 option with Luck throwing him the ball catching just 60 passes for 780 yds & 3 TDs. Luck is elite but he cannot turn water into wine.

I agree with your second statement, we should continually draft and develop our own but unfortunately we need a fix because the pipeline was busted, primarily due to the failures of Brazil and Rogers. We literally wasted 2 years on each player, years that could have been spent grooming other keepers.

The Colts are too close to contention to be relying on a corps of green wideouts. It would greatly benefit both Luck and Hilton if an experienced playmaker lined up opposite TY. That way Moncrief and Carter will have to compete to see the field. And in a season or two they will be fully developed.

A better WR core isn't the missing link. Defense wins championships. Its cliché to say, but it's true. We could win a superbowl with only Hilton, Moncrief, Carter, Whalen, Fleener, and Allen if we had a better D and better RB. WR isn't the missing link. Doesn't matter if we had Brandon Marshall in the AFC Championship, we still don't win that game.

A better WR core isn't the missing link. Defense wins championships. Its cliché to say, but it's true. We could win a superbowl with only Hilton, Moncrief, Carter, Whalen, Fleener, and Allen if we had a better D and better RB. WR isn't the missing link. Doesn't matter if we had Brandon Marshall in the AFC Championship, we still don't win that game.

You speak the truth. However, the Colts led the league in drops this past season for a reason.