Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think colts need bigger players on d...

bap1331

No offense but look at the seahawks defense in comparison. They look huge on TV. Even their cornerbacks are taller than the opposing teams recceivers. I think average on colts is like 6'2.. if were gonna take on big players like gronk, the players need to be able to compete.

As of now, this team just needs to build around taking down the pats offense and then they can take down anyone in the afc.

Other than LB, we are big almost everywhere. It's more about drafting the best talent that fits your defense. Werner for example didn't exactly fit our defense. We need guys who have some experience playing OLB in college.

Yea, grigson is obsessed now with going to the canadian league. Fact is that the colts are ready for a super bowl run so the draft is rather a long term solution. Maybe 1 rookie will make a difference but it would have to be rb because other positions take time.

No offense but look at the seahawks defense in comparison. They look huge on TV. Even their cornerbacks are taller than the opposing teams recceivers. I think average on colts is like 6'2.. if were gonna take on big players like gronk, the players need to be able to compete.

As of now, this team just needs to build around taking down the pats offense and then they can take down anyone in the afc.

LOL Seattle had the lightest team in the league. We had the heaviest team in the league. How'd that work out?

Size - strength /=/ sport specific skill. Having the heaviest squat and bench press numbers doesn't necessarily make a great player, e.g. Josh Chapman, T-Rich, Laron Landry. Teams aren't exactly lining up to sign Brock Lesnar and the Big Show.

Yea, grigson is obsessed now with going to the canadian league. Fact is that the colts are ready for a super bowl run so the draft is rather a long term solution. Maybe 1 rookie will make a difference but it would have to be rb because other positions take time.

Still waiting for your first post that is remotely in the ballpark of accurate. So far in this thread you are batting 0 for 2.

LOL Seattle had the lightest team in the league. We had the heaviest team in the league. How'd that work out?

Size - strength /=/ sport specific skill. Having the heaviest squat and bench press numbers doesn't necessarily make a great player, e.g. Josh Chapman, T-Rich, Laron Landry. Teams aren't exactly lining up to sign Brock Lesnar and the Big Show.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

OK....   If I understand what you're trying to say,  you mean TALLER and NOT bigger.

Because the Colts are the BIGGEST team in the NFL and the Seahawks -- ironically -- are the SMALLEST (lightest)

Is that you're meaning?    Taller,  and not bigger?

The Colts had one of the biggest teams in the league last year. We need more talented players on D

When you say big you might as well say fat and slow or just look at landry pushing that average up. You want to be serious about building a D? Sign Suh. Not a horseshoe guy but I'll take his nonsense on the field over walden and mathis getting suspended multiple games or Jackson(s) getting arrested off it.

Colts were the heaviest team in the league last year. They still got moved around at will by physical offensive lines. What we need are tougher, better, even nastier players. We need a verified run stopper. Guys like Suh or Big Dan Williams. Let's add some Pat killers...someone like Bernard Pollard. Dudes that have no fear of New England. Guys that put some trepidation in their hearts.

I agree that we need to really focus in on taking down the Patriots. They are in our way and must be dealt with. Our energy this offseason should focus on how best we can facilitate their demise. As Shakespeare wrote..."Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown". Gotta make that real to them.

The Colts had one of the biggest teams in the league last year.  We need more talented players on D

And coaches that know how to make adjustments during the game. Or at least, how to adjust to the Patriots adjustments.

Down 14-10 and 17-7 at the half. Then the coaching staff must have joined Elvis and left the building.

I would calling Grigson obsessed with CFL players. The two he signed seem to be good players who can contribute. It also keeps two open draft picks. I could be wrong but I don't see the Colts taking a RB with one of their high picks not unless one of the top 2 or 3 fall to them. Most all the NFL teams seem to want to fill the RB position with multi RBs.

According to CBS the Colts are the tallest team......."Coby Fleener is a tall man, and not just compared to the average human man, but also compared to most football players. He stands 6-foot-6, which made him the fourth-tallest player on the NFL's tallest team -- the Colts -- this past season."

...and according to USA today we are the heaviest? http://usat.ly/1xP8fi9

fleener-dog.jpg

I think Grigs is obsessed with searching for talent wherever it may be.  Jerrell Freeman turned out to be a very good pick up from the CFL and I thought Muamba played well in his very limited role this past season.  he will have to improve and compete for a roster spot next season, but he was fine for what he was asked to do being very low on the LB depth chart.  Carter is essentially a draft pick at 23 years old and is getting paid $435,000 this year ($25k guaranteed -- the minimum rookie contract last year was $420,000).  There is a chance Carter might be a steal for us, or there is a chance he can screw up and we can get rid of him and it isn't going to be much different than what will happen to many undrafted free agents.  Then Ben Heenan is a 6-4, 316 lbs. guard who is similar to Carter -- he's going to have to come in and show he can play in this league, fight to make the team, or be released without much ramifications for us.  That is 4 players on our team from CFL, 3 of whom are going to have to work very hard to earn a spot on this team (in Muamba and Heenan's case, working hard to show they've got the talent, in Carter's case working hard to show he's not a screwball).

I agree.  It made me miss the speed our defense had with Dungy and Polian.  We need more talent, speed, and strength.  There were too many games where our front 7 simply was overmatched and overwhelmed

Our defense with Dungy and Polian was almost always pretty terrible against the rush.  They benefited from a very high scoring offense which allowed them to focus almost solely on getting after the passer (IMO, if Freeney or Mathis ever get into the HOF, they person they should thank the most is Peyton Manning).  We have a high powered offense now, which forces other teams to pass a lot, and we definitely need to improve our pass rush (this might be an in-house fix with Mathis returning or Newsome improving), but we really need to improve our run game and physicality.  We also, IMO, need to win enough games in the regular season to get homefield advantage, as we will always have a struggle on our hands if we have to go into New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc... and face crappy weather, especially if we don't significantly improve our run game and our ability to stop the run.