Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign ex. CFL OG Ben Heenan

MTC

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every season there are always a few players who are signed from the CFL but it never seems like any of the players are QB's. Kind of surprising with how many teams in the league need a QB and there are usually only or two in the draft who are franchise QB's. Why not take a shot on a veteran who has been improving his craft north of the border?

But why even bother going after more cfl players? Is this a tryout thing?

Grigson is just adding him for competition at the position. By no means does this eliminate the Colts chances of signing a OG in the FA market. 

Why not stop playing around and go after proven players? Luck deserves the best. Iupati?

Because there's this thing called.....   a salary cap.

There are only so many proven players you can get on one roster.   And then you need to fill out that roster with lesser, inexpensive players who you hope can contribute at a decent level.

Is that the same CB that shut down Duron Carter?

I have no idea. I just read about the guy a couple weeks ago. I thought he'd at least be a better option than Gordy as our 4th CB. I just looked him up. His name's Delvin Breaux. From what I've read he's supposed to be a really good CB.

I have no idea. I just read about the guy a couple weeks ago. I thought he'd at least be a better option than Gordy as our 4th CB. I just looked him up. His name's Delvin Breaux. From what I've read he's supposed to be a really good CB.

I just looked it up, he's the one the gave Carter fits

Is that the same CB that shut down Duron Carter?

That is the one. He did more than shut him down he got all up in his head Duron took a swing at him then accidently hit an official while throwing a temper tantrum for two 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties in the first half. He couldn't beat the press coverage. I posted the link to the story in the Duron signs section. The story is pretty positive overall.

I like the signing of the G too. Grigs is filling holes putting us in position to go BPA in the draft.

The thing that I didn't like was hearing that he wants to see him at C too. That tells me the coaching staff has lost some of the confidence they once had in Holmes. That is probably a good thing kid can't stay  on the field then the 15 week recovery from a sprained ankle couldn't have helped. He goes down week one of the preseason staff says he may be ready for the season opener we don't see him again for many moons. Injury prone and slow healer not a good combo.

There are only so many proven players you can get on one roster.   And then you need to fill out that roster with lesser, inexpensive players who you hope can contribute at a decent level.

You are fighting a losing battle the only players worth anything on this board are the big names. It is the Madden generation if we don't know you then how can you be good? What's your Madden rating?

There is no need to try to explain anything to him. He has no clue as to how a team is built and thinks all star players grow on trees. Might as well save your effort.

Congrats on your pickup of Heenan, he's a local guy for us, born/raised here in Saskatchewan. Sad to see him leave Rider Nation for the big show, but of course we wish him nothing but great luck down there. 

Little bit about him from my perspective. As you all mentioned he is versatile, able to play most spots on the line. Natural athlete given his size, with huge endurance. Is not really injury prone, other than very minor things (groin injury put him out a couple games in 2012 IIRC).  

What can I say, here, he is a brick wall and has huge lower body strength, able to power against tough defense and create massive holes, and fairly quick feet for his size.

Very well grounded guy, grew up on the farm. There is no downtime for Big Ben here, when he is back home, he is doing chores, or working in the field during harvest running a swather or combine. He doesn't live a rock star lifestyle, and doesn't have off field issues.

Had huge interest in the CFL beyond Saskatchewan and it was rumoured Winnipeg was going to give Saskatchewan a run for our money by paying him serious stacks of cash, wide receiver type money, or even QB cash ($250-$300 K). Given the CFL's very limited salary cap ($5.05 Mill), it was going to be a gong-show. I know this is peanuts compared to the big show, but when you break up a 46 man roster, the average salary is $110 K, and starting Qb's can earn $300 to $500 K. A $250 K O-lineman can really make a team suffer. Only real hope in keeping him in SK was the hometown advantage.

Anyway, I hope he fits in well for you down there, it seems the Colts like to pick up ex-Riders, obviously Freeman, John Chick,  Kenton Keith as well, just off the top of my head. But seeing that Grigson was once a Rider Scout, and a player up here, it's no surprise he looks here. 

Good luck with Big Ben!

Just a side note on the poster about looking for a CDN QB, out of the 36 QB's currently playing up here under contract, 1 is CDN. And that one I believe is just a token QB. Unless you are referring to American QB's playing up here, but very very rarely is a QB called up to the NFL from the CFL.

Edited by 21isSuperman

This, but, I have to add to it.

Ben Heenan is proven, just not in our league. So is Duron Carter. I have no problems with the signings from the CFL. Heenan and Carter are both still young and considered rookies, but they have more experience than any incoming rookies because of their years in the CFL.

Signing these two guys (Carter and Heenan) is like having a couple of extra fourth round picks. Good project talent at Guard and Wide Receiver at standard rookie contracts. Can't be mad either way.

So far it's another body to add some competition I just hope Grigson isn't thinking he can solve the Offensive Line issues again with some cheap signings.

a) Although there is correlation between salary and talent, someone getting paid doesn't mean they necessarily are good and vice versa. Especially if they are new to the league.

b) Grigson hasn't exactly been shy in investing in the O-line over the last 2 seasons. Big contract for Gosder, Thomas wasn't exactly "cheap", I'd expect Castanzo to get paid this year and that's before we get into the amount of draft picks we've thrown at the O-line. 

Regardless of how you assess our O-line, I don't think you put down and deficiencies to being "cheap". 

So far it's another body to add some competition I just hope Grigson isn't thinking he can solve the Offensive Line issues again with some cheap signings.

Just because these guys are from the CFL doesn't mean they are cheap signings. Talent is what he is looking for. Just because a player might draw a high salary does not mean they are any better than someone else. With the contracts coming up over the next couple of seasons thrift is wise.

Just because these guys are from the CFL doesn't mean they are cheap signings. Talent is what he is looking for. Just because a player might draw a high salary does not mean they are any better than someone else. With the contracts coming up over the next couple of seasons thrift is wise.

just because the play in cfl  does mean their crappy , worthless  players.

But why even bother going after more cfl players? Is this a tryout thing?

It's called exploring all options. It's low risk, high reward potential. They cost nearly nothing in the salary cap and if they turn into a stud (see Freeman, Warner) then you get there services cheap for a few years. Also it provides you some experienced depth even if they ride the bench. Doesn't mean you can draft the same position or sign another. And because they are cheap, if they don't make it, thy can be cut cheaply

It's called exploring all options. It's low risk, high reward potential. They cost nearly nothing in the salary cap and if they turn into a stud (see Freeman, Warner) then you get there services cheap for a few years. Also it provides you some experienced depth even if they ride the bench. Doesn't mean you can draft the same position or sign another. And because they are cheap, if they don't make it, thy can be cut cheaply

this guy only 23  ss are  lb ?  On May 31, 2014, He signed with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League.[8] He won the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Award in 2014 for recording 67 tackles, four sacks and tying for the league lead with six interceptions

Dexter McCoil 2014 all stars CFL

Thought I'd add this article:

http://www.ckom.com/node/55351

Word is buzzing now tonight that he drew interest from 5 different NFL teams, and came to terms with the Colts.

Thanks for the link and the other post.  We're all anxious to learn about any new prospect.

As you can guess, some of us are maybe not skeptical but just have the 'wait and see before we get too excited attitude'.

You know we had Chick and Giguerre, who were well thought of in the CFL but were maybe average or lower here. 

Yes, Freeman has worked out for us.  Let's not talk about Keith.  We're always looking for O-line depth.  Hopefully, he'll work out like Freeman did.