Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 Bold Predictions for Indianapolis Colts in Free Agency

mattceinicram

I would wager to say that the colts are eyeing the situation with Justin Houston. If he hits the market the colts will strike. If not its gonna come dowm to Mcfhee or the kid from titans Morgan.

I also suspect they might make a play for Marshall from denver. If Marshall cant be gotten then they reup freeman and draft an inside backer.

Mathis, (Houston, Mcfhee or Morgan), Newsome edge rushers

Walden, werner edge setters ( werner can rush at times too)

Marshall, jackson, Jackson, freeman inside

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really really hope we dont go to the draft for rb unless its late in the draft(5-7.) I think the offensive line is number one and will help us drastically in the run game not to mention protect the center of our franchise.

I honestly don't care what we do w Trent. I think he can be effective but if we free up 3m whatever.

I don't think we need to sign 2 big name receivers. I do think we need 1 to secure the #2 spot and I do think we need to do this through free agency. Moncreif just isn't ready to be a full time 2 but I think he can be nasty in the slot.

*crosses fingers for Duron Carter* even if he doesn't become a solid number 2 like I hope and think he can, he's cheap and I think we have capable recievers.

I do agree that we need to build our defense this year. I hope we look in the draft and free agency for key pieces at all 3 levels. We need a monster in the middle of the line. A stout all around lb and a playmaker at safety.

I think Suh is such a savage that switching to a 3-4 won't effect him at all. I think the money thing is the biggest problem. If we can make it work, without it killing us, I'm all for it.

The reality of the situation is we are going to need improvement in the 3 DL, 3 LBs, and one Safety

(Yeah.... thats 7 of 11 positions)

We cant cover a TE

We get pushed around by big RBs in many cases, especially when the offense we face is balanced

- This is the DL and the ILBs

We are not getting even average play from our NTs (And I realize that the NT doesnt get stats...)

We get pushed back

We cant get consistent pass rush 

Our BEST starting DE is turning 35

We also need a safety that can wrap up and take a good angle........

If it were me... I would get ONE pile moving guard, and an old RB (Gore)  in FA

I would call the O  "good" after that and focus on the enormous holes on D

(Mix of FA and Draft)

I have gotten sick of the number of 40's hung on this team the last two years

Irsay said he wanted to pattern the Colts after the Dynasty Years Pats and that team didn't have great receivers.  It had great defensive players...so that's what I think we will do is build a great defense in draft and FA.  I don't think we'll get Suh, but Grigson said he swings for the fences and takes chances....so he might.

For me, if we were to sign one player in FA it would be Devin McCourty. But I believe NE will get very creative with the cap yet again to ensure he goes no where.

He had 2 interceptions so far this year and 2014 has been his lowest year for tackles and assists since he was drafted. For the amount of money he's probably going to ask for, why would we go after him?

He had 2 interceptions so far this year and 2014 has been his lowest year for tackles and assists since he was drafted. For the amount of money he's probably going to ask for, why would we go after him?

You again...

This has been up there with any of McCourty's best years. Please don't look at stat sheets and assume you know what you are talking about. He is great in run support and flies around the field in coverage. Ask any knowledgeable Patriots fan about the year McCourty has had.

For three years now he has been amongst the best safeties in football, he is not a flash in the pan.

P.S. He's had 3 INTs.

You again...

This has been up there with any of McCourty's best years. Please don't look at stat sheets and assume you know what you are talking about. He is great in run support and flies around the field in coverage. Ask any knowledgeable Patriots fan about the year McCourty has had.

For three years now he has been amongst the best safeties in football, he is not a flash in the pan.

P.S. He's had 3 INTs.

Crap...I didn't even notice it was your post. I should have just ignored it.

The minute Suh pulls one of his on field stupid attempts to hurt someone. Colts fans will not tolerate and would be outraged unlike the Lions fans who always made lame excuses for him... I'd rather lose than have someone like him on our team . Watt doesn't have a need to intentionally hurt anyone. There has to be someone out there who is great with "CLASS"

The minute Suh pulls one of his on field stupid attempts to hurt someone. Colts fans will not tolerate and would be outraged unlike the Lions fans who always made lame excuses for him... I'd rather lose than have someone like him on our team . Watt doesn't have a need to intentionally hurt anyone. There has to be someone out there who is great with "CLASS"

Meh, I would love for Suh to wear a Colts uniform and stomp on someone lol

I don't think luck is a money hungry dude. I think he would do what's best for the team.

I get that impression too. I've often wondered whether he might not do something like Tom Brady did in 2013, and agree to $30 million less than what he's worth to help the team win. People talk trash about Brady, but they forget this very significant fact.

Because he's a really good cover man and he's pretty good in run support, and has good range.

I think DeflateGate might mean that he's not interesting in playing for the Colts, but we should be offering him four years, $32m the minute free agency starts.

I would wager to say that the colts are eyeing the situation with Justin Houston. If he hits the market the colts will strike. If not its gonna come dowm to Mcfhee or the kid from titans Morgan.

I also suspect they might make a play for Marshall from denver. If Marshall cant be gotten then they reup freeman and draft an inside backer.

Mathis, (Houston, Mcfhee or Morgan), Newsome edge rushers

Walden, werner edge setters ( werner can rush at times too)

Marshall, jackson, Jackson, freeman inside

More likely to see Tamba Hali on the market than Justin Houston.

Because he's a really good cover man and he's pretty good in run support, and has good range.

I think DeflateGate might mean that he's not interesting in playing for the Colts, but we should be offering him four years, $32m the minute free agency starts.

If he's that good why would the Pats gamble that we would pick him up? Is their cap situation really bad?

If he's that good why would the Pats gamble that we would pick him up? Is their cap situation really bad?

Every team lets players walk in free agency, every year. Sometimes, those players are pretty good. Devin McCourty is pretty good. If he hits free agency, he'll be the best safety on the market.

As for the Pats, assuming they void the extra year on Revis' contract, they'll have $17m in cap space for 2015. They'll likely want to keep Revis, and he'll probably cost at least $10m/year. Depending on how that works out, they could have a moderate amount of cap space, or they could be pretty much out of cap space, needing to address their own free agent class and their draft class (hopefully the league takes all of their picks for DeflateGate, but I doubt it). They have a few guys they can restructure or extend -- Mayo, Wilfork, Solder, etc., but either way, they have a lot of commitments for 2015.

Long story short, they have far more budgetary restrictions than we do, and if he hits the market, they can be easily outbid. I don't think they can afford $8m/year for him. Not without getting rid of some pretty good players.

All told, it's too early to really talk about free agent targets. A third of the guys we're talking about will never reach the market.

Every team lets players walk in free agency, every year. Sometimes, those players are pretty good. Devin McCourty is pretty good. If he hits free agency, he'll be the best safety on the market.

As for the Pats, assuming they void the extra year on Revis' contract, they'll have $17m in cap space for 2015. They'll likely want to keep Revis, and he'll probably cost at least $10m/year. Depending on how that works out, they could have a moderate amount of cap space, or they could be pretty much out of cap space, needing to address their own free agent class and their draft class (hopefully the league takes all of their picks for DeflateGate, but I doubt it). They have a few guys they can restructure or extend -- Mayo, Wilfork, Solder, etc., but either way, they have a lot of commitments for 2015.

Long story short, they have far more budgetary restrictions than we do, and if he hits the market, they can be easily outbid. I don't think they can afford $8m/year for him. Not without getting rid of some pretty good players.

All told, it's too early to really talk about free agent targets. A third of the guys we're talking about will never reach the market.

hmmm...even though we have a lot of cap left, we have far more holes then they do. Maybe the Pats (and Denver) will price themselves out of contention. Seems our only hope at this point.

hmmm...even though we have a lot of cap left, we have far more holes then they do. Maybe the Pats (and Denver) will price themselves out of contention. Seems our only hope at this point.

Broncos are probably set at safety, if they keep Rahim Moore. Their only problem on the back-end was an overly conservative defensive philosophy, which is probably what got John Fox fired. I don't think they are contenders for McCourty, in particular. But they do have a better cap situation than the Pats, absolutely. At least, until they re-sign DT and JT.

And we do have more holes, but we're not going to fill all those holes in free agency, anyways. It's probably not possible, unless we get every signing absolutely right, which never happens.

i think if we can get gordon in the first round then we should take him.  if hes not on the board then we should go defensive front 7, especially nose tackle. maybe pass rusher

O line is a priorty but we need a guard and maybe center, those will be around in later rounds.

as for FA, TR is gone. stay away from suh and murray(too expensive).  go get carter, i would give nicks another shot as well but that may not be a very popular idea.  i cant decide on landry, glad that isnt my job

If Suh can play in our 3-4 scheme then he would be a perfect signing. Everyone is saying we don't need a guy like him, but we actually really do...bad. We need a player on D with that mean streak like he has. We need smash mouth, hard nosed, in your face type players that hit hard and scare opposing QB's like Mr. Brady. If Suh could play in the 3-4 and we signed Knighton too our D-Line would be the best in the league. Jones-Knighton-Suh, with RJF, Kerr, Hughes, and a draft pick as backups.

I couldn't agree more.  I would love to have Suh come here.  

I get that impression too. I've often wondered whether he might not do something like Tom Brady did in 2013, and agree to $30 million less than what he's worth to help the team win. People talk trash about Brady, but they forget this very significant fact.

Brady's wife makes significantly more money than any NFL player, pretty easy for Tom to take less money.  

http://www.eonline.com/news/560389/gisele-bundchen-s-386-million-fortune-breaking-down-how-the-supermodel-makes-128-000-a-day

I'm ok with letting Trent walk and draft a RB late. Sorry Trent. 

I definitely think we need to/will sign a WR in FA. Play the Avery/DHB/Nicks role. 

I don't believe Suh is the answer.

1) I don't see us paying that kind of money to him

2) We already have a poor history in trying to turn 4-3 DE's into 3-4 OLB's 

3) I have zero desire to watch him stomp on someone and get suspended for the year 

I do however think we should sign Pot Roast. 

I definitely think we need to/will sign a WR in FA. Play the Avery/DHB/Nicks role.

3) I have zero desire to watch him stomp on someone and get suspended for the year

Suh would be a DE or DT in our 3-4. Maybe he could even play some NT.

Brady's wife makes significantly more money than any NFL player, pretty easy for Tom to take less money.  

http://www.eonline.com/news/560389/gisele-bundchen-s-386-million-fortune-breaking-down-how-the-supermodel-makes-128-000-a-day

The argument that 'he didn't need the money because his wife is loaded' is irrelevant, since he was already worth $120 million when he made the decision. So it's not as it his wife's fortune provided some kind of financial safety net. The fact is, Brady made a sacrifice for the greater good of the team, and that is rare among professional athletes these days.

Suh a Colt? Eh... If the dude could stop being so stupid on the field, then maybe. 

Try  jason Pierre-Paul, DE, Giants. Age: 26. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif 

Jason Pierre-Paul has been inconsistent throughout his career, but when he's on, he's nearly unstoppable. He registered 12.5 sacks in 2014, and he was playing some of his best football down the stretch. He's only 26, so there's time for him to get better and more consistent. 

Suh will eat up money we need for the O-Line. Luck can only take so many hits before he gets hurt. Love what Dallas is doing with their O-Line.

Jason Worilds, DE/OLB, Steelers. Age: 27. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif 

Jason Worilds doesn't have much starting experience, but he was Pittsburgh's top pass-rusher this season. He had 7.5 sacks, giving him 15.5 over the past two years. He wasn't great in run support, but he was one of the few Steelers to put constant pressure on the quarterback. 

I don't think Suh has ever been suspended for one game....I don't think you have to worry about a yr suspension.

If we can somehow get McCourty for less than what Jairus Byrd got from the Saints, we'd be foolish not to go all in. Adding McCourty or a similar ball hawking coverage safety instantly makes our entire Defense better. We are trying to run a Ravens-esque defense with no "Ed Reed".

I do find it hard to imagine McCourty leaving the Pats unless we out bid by a lot for his services. He's still a young guy and our roster is being built toward the future. Having Luck makes Indy very attractive to potential FA signings. We are right on the cusp and players around the league notice that. Its just up to the FO to go out and get the right pieces at the right price.

If we can somehow get McCourty for less than what Jairus Byrd got from the Saints, we'd be foolish not to go all in. Adding McCourty or a similar ball hawking coverage safety instantly makes our entire Defense better. We are trying to run a Ravens-esque defense with no "Ed Reed".

I do find it hard to imagine McCourty leaving the Pats unless we out bid by a lot for his services. He's still a young guy and our roster is being built toward the future. Having Luck makes Indy very attractive to potential FA signings. We are right on the cusp and players around the league notice that. Its just up to the FO to go out and get the right pieces at the right price.

The colts are trying to run a Ravens-esque defense without a Ravens front 7.