Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Speculation Thread: What do you think happened at Deflategate? (Merge)

ColtsBlueFL

I think Goodell has to address the scandal with a punitive measure. All eyes will be on him until justice is meted out. Failure to administer an appropriate fine and penalty is going to result in a very vocal outcry from fans, a lambasting in the media, and a black eye to the legitimacy of the league he oversees. Mr. Goodell, you sir, are on the clock...

I hope you are right. But I do have a feeling it might just go unpunished or a small slap that will not be a deterrent for further misconduct. Goodell will only do what the majority of the owners tell him to do. He gets paid 14 million a year to take all the heat. There is a large group of people who think this is not a serious matter. I guess we will wait and see.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I don't get is why the other owners put up with this. Is protecting the shield so important that fair play and integrity makes no difference?

All the media keeps talking about is brotherhood brotherhood brotherhood ... possibly the owners eg the good old boys which includes Goodell are willing do to what ever it takes to protect not only the shield but that brotherhood first. IF the majority of the owners wanted something done about this then something would have been done by now because the pressure would have been unbearable.

Actions speak louder than words and the fact that the NFL is letting this drag on so long tells me that the majority of the owners couldn't care less about this issue. That means it is up to the fans and general public, much like the Rice issue to hammer this one until we get what WE want!

Richard Sherman agrees. He said as much when attesting to the fact Robert Craft and Roger Goodell are best friends who take photos at each other's places.

Love Sherman or hate him, he's got some big cahones!!!! I LOVE The fact that he called out Goodell the way he did, then again I've never been one to bite my tounge!

And why are only Colts fans in this thread. I miss my lovely fellow members Viridulant, taplook and MJD42's presence in this forum. Their deep insight about Pats are sorely missed.

Maybe because this is a Colts Forum.  :popcorn:  You might be in the minority there. :D

The "fumbling" stat is kind of silly. It presumes that "fumbling" is a random occurence that should be expected to fall within a bell curve. That's nonsense. This is like putting a chart out there that shows that the Patriots or the Packers throw far fewer interceptions than "the norm" as though it was random and had nothing to do with the fact that the guy's doing the passing were simply better players and better coached on not throwing interceptions.

Actually many scientists agree that Belichick's explanation is plausible, especially in light of the reports that Kravitz and Mortensen may have gotten incorrect information regarding how deflated the balls actually were. This story is starting to fall apart.

i dont think the league would have brought in Ted Wells if the balls were only 1 psi deflated

Actually many scientists agree that Belichick's explanation is plausible, especially in light of the reports that Kravitz and Mortensen may have gotten incorrect information regarding how deflated the balls actually were. This story is starting to fall apart.

Link to these "scientists?"

I hope you are right. But I do have a feeling it might just go unpunished or a small slap that will not be a deterrent for further misconduct. Goodell will only do what the majority of the owners tell him to do. He gets paid 14 million a year to take all the heat. There is a large group of people who think this is not a serious matter. I guess we will wait and see.

Even if Brady and Belichick are each suspended without pay for 4 years and forced to wear sandwich boards saying "Patriots are lousy stinking cheaters" to every game it will be a slap on the wrist if they win the Super Bowl. 

The NFL's lack of action on this scandal is unbelievable.  Almost as unbelievable as when they destroyed all of the Spygate evidence for no apparent reason.

The "fumbling" stat is kind of silly. It presumes that "fumbling" is a random occurence that should be expected to fall within a bell curve. That's nonsense. This is like putting a chart out there that shows that the Patriots or the Packers throw far fewer interceptions than "the norm" as though it was random and had nothing to do with the fact that the guy's doing the passing were simply better players and better coached on not throwing interceptions.

You don't find it the least bit peculiar about NE players when they are and are not on the pats or the fact the team is 31 plays per fumble better in the last five years than any team ever considering the number 2 and 6 teams which include the patriots from last decade are separated by 9 plays?

Why do I even come to these pitiful threads...we gone..... :thinking:  :peek:  :burnout:

The same reason we all do :facepalm:   thinking we're going to read some new breaking news, or something.. :rulez:    :stats:    haha

As I've stated,  I'm growing a bit tired of all of it, but just trying to amuse myself at the same time.

I almost stopped reading when I read this.....

"Four of the Boston area’s best scientific minds,"

But decided to continue.... Funny how none of them confirmed Beli-cheats "tests," only that his excuse is within the " realm of possibility," or "technically possible," yeah now I'm convinced there was no wrongdoing!

Not when you compare the 6 players when they were and were not on the team

Let's face it.  This isn't about Deflate-Gate or Spygate.  It's about the fact that the Patriots never have an off-year like 99.9 percent of teams.  It's because Belichick isn't some nice guy to the media.  It's because the Patriots beat every team not named the Giants into oblivion.

I know, I felt the same way about the Yankees until they stopped being relevant.  If the Pats went 8-8 for a few seasons and this happened it would be a non issue.  It was a non issue when the Panthers were caught red-handed on TV manipulating their footballs earlier this year.

It's just hatred that this team keeps winning and being competitive so they point fingers.  It's like that song Dirty Laundry, "Kick em when they're up, kick em when they're down."

People also want to deflect blame for their team losing, and can't lose with dignity, so they point fingers and complain to the league instead of just improving and trying to get better.

Think about it, even IF by some chance the Patriots manipulated the footballs, did it have any outcome on the game?  Colts players said they would have lost if they had played with beachballs.

We're not talking Ray Lewis stuff here.

Not to mention it was probably a sting operation anyway with Harbaugh/Irsay thinking "If you can't beat them, make a mockery of them." 

Okay lil homer  this is about CHEATING & cheating alone . The win at all cost coach BB who has been known for having total control of his team & all aspects of the gameplan somehow did'nt know there was a problem with footballs his organization had total control of acting as tho he knows nothing at all .

Its not like murder charges for a tight End this long investigation is'nt needed at all the proof is already been proved 11 of his teams balls were deflated the Colts balls were not end of story ..

People also want to deflect blame for their team losing, and can't lose with dignity, so they point fingers and complain to the league instead of just improving and trying to get better.

Our Colts lost with dignity & we fans recognize the score says it all .

The problem is it was not a fair game the cheating started before the game so regardless of the score the Indianapolis Colts were cheated out of the opportunity to play in a fair game & by cheating the Patriots advance to a Superbowl berth due to a illegal act .

There is no way to make this right & the Patriots & there fans will have to live with this fact every news outlet has at naseum ran with this scandal & although New England celebrates everyone in this country realizes the truth so stick your head in the sand & enjoy the Superbowl hopefully its a WIN for Seattle with more losses in the future for a organization that has proved only 1 thing & its how good they are at cheating right or wrong thats all there record means to the rest of the league ..

The New England Patriots belong in the company of Mark McGuire Sammy Sosa Barry Bonds  & A Rod  Cheaters *******

There records are all questionable & only matter to them ..

Yeah because players run around with two balls on the field to compare with.

That's not the point. The point is if Brady is used to 12.5 then he should have been able to tell with a 10.5 ball or even 11.5. If he couldn't tell then that just goes to show he plays with an under inflated ball more often than not. So him saying be couldn't tell the difference, wouldn't be a lie.

The NFL is not interested in punishing the Patriots. It's money they are worried about. The Patriot organization has no class and has no clue to what the meaning of integrity is. The sad part is most of the Patriot fans believe their team didn't do anything wrong. Most of them still think spygate was made up even though the NFL passed out the highest paid fine in it's history. I don't blame Goodell because he is just the mouthpiece for the owners and is a very well paid yes man. The thing I don't get is why the other owners put up with this. Is protecting the shield so important that fair play and integrity makes no difference?  I guess we will find out after the super bowl. I have always believed that right is right and wrong is wrong. It's stuff like this that makes me question this. If there is such a thing as karma and a football God let the Seahawks just win this game.

Amen.  The problem is the NFL is BIG MONEY!  Advertisers, sponsorship, etc.  If the NFL gets a bruised eye, I think the other owners know that it would be bad for everybody.  So, I think all owners and the NFL are all walking a tight rope on this one.  To quote Nadine in one of her last posts, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave...."  The problem with lying and cheating is you don't know what to deny and what to admit based on what might come out.  Reminds me of a certain ex-husband I have.  And, yes, karma is real.  Seattle is now the team 98% of the country wants to win and if the Pats win, most everyone will be angry.  No win.  Truly.

All the media keeps talking about is brotherhood brotherhood brotherhood ... possibly the owners eg the good old boys which includes Goodell are willing do to what ever it takes to protect not only the shield but that brotherhood first. IF the majority of the owners wanted something done about this then something would have been done by now because the pressure would have been unbearable.

Actions speak louder than words and the fact that the NFL is letting this drag on so long tells me that the majority of the owners couldn't care less about this issue. That means it is up to the fans and general public, much like the Rice issue to hammer this one until we get what WE want!

I'm sure the other owners care.  But, what can they do?  Bad press for the NFL is bad press for them in a roundabout way.  It's all about the money, money, money.  If advertisers want people to buy their products and care about their brand and image...they may think twice about spending so much change on a sport that has so much bad press.

I'm sure the other owners care.  But, what can they do?  Bad press for the NFL is bad press for them in a roundabout way.  It's all about the money, money, money.  If advertisers want people to buy their products and care about their brand and image...they may think twice about spending so much change on a sport that has so much bad press.

If the NFL doesn't address this issue in a ligit meaningful way they can hang it up , popularity will decline , who wants to buy or support a tainted product ?

If the NFL doesn't address this issue in a ligit meaningful way they can hang it up , popularity will decline , who wants to buy or support a tainted product ?

The problem is they don't know exactly what to do.  I'm sure they feel no matter what, it's going to hurt the NFL brand.  But, I agree Jay that they best move is swift and meaningful action.  

Okay lil homer  this is about CHEATING & cheating alone . The win at all cost coach BB who has been known for having total control of his team & all aspects of the gameplan somehow did'nt know there was a problem with footballs his organization had total control of acting as tho he knows nothing at all .

Its not like murder charges for a tight End this long investigation is'nt needed at all the proof is already been proved 11 of his teams balls were deflated the Colts balls were not end of story ..

Our Colts lost with dignity & we fans recognize the score says it all .

The problem is it was not a fair game the cheating started before the game so regardless of the score the Indianapolis Colts were cheated out of the opportunity to play in a fair game & by cheating the Patriots advance to a Superbowl berth due to a illegal act .

There is no way to make this right & the Patriots & there fans will have to live with this fact every news outlet has at naseum ran with this scandal & although New England celebrates everyone in this country realizes the truth so stick your head in the sand & enjoy the Superbowl hopefully its a WIN for Seattle with more losses in the future for a organization that has proved only 1 thing & its how good they are at cheating right or wrong thats all there record means to the rest of the league ..

The New England Patriots belong in the company of Mark McGuire Sammy Sosa Barry Bonds  & A Rod  Cheaters *******

There records are all questionable & only matter to them ..

But they haven't been found to have cheated. And it's looking like they won't be found to have cheated.