Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Speculation Thread: What do you think happened at Deflategate? (Merge)

ColtsBlueFL

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way it was worded is that closer to 1 from 2 would be 1.9.

So 1.8 is closer to 1 than 1.9.

IDK. I'll just wait for the NFL to say what they have to say. Everyone seems to be in a different page.

I read it to say that the PSI would be less than 1.5 under.  I read "closer to 2 than 1" to mean the # is closer to the # 1 rather than the #2. What you have above would simply be explained as less than 2. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

Why not get a real thermodynamics expert from MIT (deep in the heart of Patriot territory) to show what a complete sham Belichick's excuse is instead of some celebrity who is not an expert in the field? (and who lived for several years in Seattle)

They could.  But it's a fairly straight forward science question.  If Patriot fans are going to dispute that based solely on which team he roots for, then you can't reallly help them.  The science doesn't play favorites. 

The way it was worded is that closer to 1 from 2 would be 1.9.

So 1.8 is closer to 1 than 1.9.

IDK. I'll just wait for the NFL to say what they have to say. Everyone seems to be in a different page.

According to PFT the PSI was 11.5. This begs the question, if the whole time Mortensons report was off by 1psi, why would the league not discount this before Billy B. or Tom gave 3 press conferences. This report about the balls being 11.5 and not 10.5 makes no sense once again.

They could.  But it's a fairly straight forward science question.  If Patriot fans are going to dispute that based solely on which team he roots for, then you can't reallly help them.  The science doesn't play favorites. 

Does anyone else find it humorous that BB went from "I Know Nothing" on Thursday to  "I Have the Answer"  on Saturday.

He's a quick study, I guess......   :lecture:

Per PFT

But what has the NFL really found?  As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum.  The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI.

-----------------

Does anyone else find it humorous that BB went from "I Know Nothing" on Thursday to  "I Have the Answer"  on Saturday.

He's a quick study, I guess......   :lecture:

Good public speakers can come to be an "expert" on a particular topic if you narrow the scope of the information needed to answer people's hard questions and deflect everything else.  It's what every politician in the history of politics has done when it comes to the issues.  Of course, you really screw yourself over when you take a hard stance on something and then it turns out that you are wrong.  It's even worse i ninstances where to be wrong means you or someone in your organization has lied and covered up the error.

They could.  But it's a fairly straight forward science question.  If Patriot fans are going to dispute that based solely on which team he roots for, then you can't reallly help them.  The science doesn't play favorites

True. That is the one reason my ears perked up when he stated that. And then invited anyone to do the same tests, and look at their results. Science is not science until its peer reviewed.

Per PFT

But what has the NFL really found?  As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum.  The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI.

-----------------

It's still below the required PSI level, I'm not sure how that makes it any better.

It's still below the required PSI level, I'm not sure how that makes it any better.

We're back to the weather :).  I think everyone agree's temperature effects the pressure (we never agree how much!! ) . Pats requested 12.5. Refs comply. Colts request 13.5, refs comply. 1/2 time each has lost 1 psi (reportedly). Pats balls are now 11.5, and the colts are 12.5, still compliant.

I dont think Hollywood could come up with a better drama. lol.

Ray Lewis just hammered the Patriots on NFL Countdown. They were handing a regular football and a deflated one around, noting how they could clearly tell a difference. This won't go away.

It's NEVER going to go away.   There will be folks  delighted / or / angry  no matter what the findings and rulings are.

Most people have their minds made up already, and I am no exception.  I admit that.   NOTHING and No-one will ever convince me of what I think I already know.   

We're back to the weather :). I think everyone agree's temperature effects the pressure (we never agree how much!! ) . Pats requested 12.5. Refs comply. Colts request 13.5, refs comply. 1/2 time each has lost 1 psi (reportedly). Pats balls are now 11.5, and the colts are 12.5, still compliant.

So then, in theory, on a 90* day they under inflate the balls to account for increased pressure. After all, they have to expand going from a 70* locker room to an ambient 90* on the field.

Nonsense. Plain and simple

Ray Lewis just hammered the Patriots on NFL Countdown. They were handing a regular football and a deflated one around, noting how they could clearly tell a difference. This won't go away.

It wont go away until the NFL does its job.

But that test is bogus. If I hand any one person 2 balls and tell them one of them is less inflated then the other, I bet most ppl will get it right. I broke 2 rules of investigation. 1. Tell the person what the expected outcome is , and 2, gave them a control to test against.

I would love for someone to take 1 ball and ask the panel if that ball was over inflated, properly inflated, or under inflated, and see how many get that right.

So then, in theory, on a 90* day they under inflate the balls to account for increased pressure. After all, they have to expand going from a 70* locker room to an ambient 90* on the field.

Nonsense. Plain and simple

No, on a 90 degree day, they set the balls to the requested pressure, and both then rise in pressure. No ones complaining about overinflated balls. :)

It wont go away until the NFL does its job.

But that test is bogus. If I hand any one person 2 balls and tell them one of them is less inflated then the other, I bet most ppl will get it right. I broke 2 rules of investigation. 1. Tell the person what the expected outcome is , and 2, gave them a control to test against.

I would love for someone to take 1 ball and ask the panel if that ball was over inflated, properly inflated, or under inflated, and see how many get that right.

Chris Carter just said someone took the air out of the Patriots footballs. He talked about the Colts footballs being with specs, while 11 out of the 12 of the Patriots weren't.

I have no dog in this fight.

Don't love the Patriots, don't hate the Patriots.  I would honestly consider myself as neutral on this issue as any nfl fan could be.

If asked to serve on a jury I could be fair.

I saw a panel on I think NFL network.  Three guys and a moderator.  2 balls, 12.5 psi and 10.5 psi.  I could visibly see the difference in the two balls as they were being handled.  I didn't know which was which (I intentionally had the sound off).  It could C L E A R L Y be seen with the naked eye through a camera.   One depressed significantly more when held firmly.  It was not even close.

We're back to the weather :). I think everyone agree's temperature effects the pressure (we never agree how much!! ) . Pats requested 12.5. Refs comply. Colts request 13.5, refs comply. 1/2 time each has lost 1 psi (reportedly). Pats balls are now 11.5, and the colts are 12.5, still compliant.

where have you seen the colts had the balls inflated to 13.5??

I have no dog in this fight.

Don't love the Patriots, don't hate the Patriots.  I would honestly consider myself as neutral on this issue as any nfl fan could be.

If asked to serve on a jury I could be fair.

I saw a panel on I think NFL network.  Three guys and a moderator.  2 balls, 12.5 psi and 10.5 psi.  I could visibly see the difference in the two balls as they were being handled.  I didn't know which was which (I intentionally had the sound off).  It could C L E A R L Y be seen with the naked eye through a camera.   One depressed significantly more when held firmly.  It was not even close.

Of course you could. If they squeezed one ball, without a reference ball, could you tell if it was at 10.5 or 12.5?

Yes they have the cheating down real well but they just got caught. :D

Ugh. The thing that I hate about pats fans is they wont admit it. Theyll say, "were not the first ones" or "wasnt us, it was the weather."

If this happens to the colts, wed admit it and be disappointed in our franchise.

then why were the Colts footballs in compliance after the game ?

Of course you could. If they squeezed one ball, without a reference ball, could you tell if it was at 10.5 or 12.5?

They had two balls, one inflated at each psi.  They were being passed around to 3 guys that were ex-nfl.  Each handled the ball in his own way and then the next ball in the same way.  

I intentionally turned the tv sound off so I was ONLY observing the hands on the balls and how the balls depressed with pressure.  It was absolutely crystal clear to me which was which.  Then I rewound the tape and observed as they talked about each ball and what I observed was confirmed by the facts about each ball as the panel was discussing them.

I wish I had kept the segment, but our tivo is near full so I didn't.  They demonstrated how much easier it was to tuck it away as a RB, squeeze it as a WR and hold on to it as a QB.  The QB there even said flat out, that he could throw the lighter ball 10 yards farther in weather because of how firmly he could grip it.

Both sets of balls fall by 1 psi. If the colts balls started at 13.5, they would still be at 12.5 during/after the game. If the pats balls started at 12.5, they would be at 11.5 during/after the game.

so if the colts balls were also at 12.5 pregame, then what?

They had two balls, one inflated at each psi.

I intentionally turned the tv sound off so I was ONLY observing the hands on the balls and how the balls depressed with pressure.  It was absolutely crystal clear.  Then I rewound the tape and observed as they talked about each ball and what I observed was confirmed by the facts about each ball as the panel was discussing.

I wish I had kept the segment, but our tivo is near full so I didn't.  They demonstrated how much easier it was to tuck it away as a RB, squeeze it as a WR and hold on to it as a QB.  The QB there even said flat out, that he could throw the lighter ball 10 yards farther in weather because of how firmly he could grip it.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't making my point clear enough. No one is debating if an under inflated ball has those properties. I think everyone knows what happpens when the ball is not up to 12.5 psi.

My point was, they showed you two balls, and told you 1 was under inflated. With those criteria almost anyone could tell which one was the underinflated ball. I can squeeze them and compare to each other.

My point was, if I gave you one ball, with no reference ball, could you tell me if that ball was properly inflated?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't making my point clear enough. No one is debating if an under inflated ball has those properties. I think everyone knows what happpens when the ball is not up to 12.5 psi.

My point was, they showed you two balls, and told you 1 was under inflated. With those criteria almost anyone could tell which one was the underinflated ball. I can squeeze them and compare to each other.

My point was, if I gave you one ball, with no reference ball, could you tell me if that ball was properly inflated?

I am not sure I could, because I personally have never held an NFL Football, however,  I certainly think an NFL QB should be able to to tell,  don't you...???    Unless said QB has been using an under inflated FB all along,  then I suppose the normal football would feel over inflated and the under inflated  would feel normal to him.

thoughts to ponder... :scratch:

If I were a pro and handled that kind of a ball day in and day out - yes.  I played college basketball and the tiniest variation on the ball was discernible.  It didn't shoot right, bounce off the rim in the same way, dribble right or even just feel right in my hands.  I played tennis and soccer as well.  Anyone that uses a ball day in and day out could potentially know the difference.  They might not know but the ball would perform differently whether they knew it or not.  

YOU are choosing not to hear and respond to my point.  It makes a difference in the way the ball performs.  A significant difference.  One that 3 pros on that set and many other pros on other sets can tell you gives a benefit to the team using the 2 lbs. under-inflated ball.  There is a reason the rule exists.  

And the back-pedaling begins...looks like Kravitz' sources may not have been all that great

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/nfl-bears-plenty-of-blame-for-deflategate/

So now, the balls were all closer to 11.5 and the notion that the league actually tried to conduct a "sting" to catch the Pats red-handed is becoming more and more credible. Wow. What a cluster.

I am not sure I could, because I personally have never held an NFL Football, however,  I certainly think an NFL QB should be able to to tell,  don't you...???    Unless said QB has been using an under inflated FB all along,  then I suppose it would feel normal to him.

Thats my point, we dont know!! No one has done that demonstration. They all do the 2 ball test, which is farcical.