Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Coaching Staff [Mega-merge]

sfergson727

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polian said that on his radio show last night.

It doesn't make any sense for Polian or Irsay to say that they "hope" Caldwell will keep his job. Aren't they the ones who will make that decision. I wish they would say that they "hope that they don't change their minds about firing him."

http://www.nfl.com/v..._content_stream

Bill Polian says, "My fervent hope is that Jim's job is not in jeopardy because my fervent hope is we don't go 0-16, and we're doing everything we can to try and avoid that."

I know people have posted other Caldwell topics, but I want to narrow in on this one subject... Why should a coach keep his job with only one win? The season is already meaningless. It's not like we will be the first and only team to go 0-16, so what's so special about 1-15 versus 0-16? Furthermore, almost everyone on this forum has disdain for Caldwell, so if it takes a 0-16 record to give Caldwell the boot, then isn't that a sign our fans should be rooting against us? I mean seriously Mr. Polian, what kind of message are you sending to Colts fans?... If we go 0-16 we can celebrate!?!

What Polian needs to say/do is either:

a.) Fire Caldwell now.

b.) Shutup (about Caldwell).

If only this FO wasnt so screwed up. We could probably have Bill Cowher..

Then I'm thrilled that they're "so screwed up" because I detest Bill Cowher.

And I don't want any coach who insists on doubling as the GM. Coaching should be more than enough work (and responsibility) for one person.

Of course, usual names for coaches on the hot seat; Spags, Raheem, Norv, Andy. He actaully indicated that Caldwell needs a win or two to probably save his job. What are we in; Bizarro World here. Caldwells hot seat should be on high temperature.

I think that sounds about right. I think that the Polians want to keep him. Organizationally, they haven't made it easy for him to win this season, but any coach worth anything should be able to win one game.

I understand what you are saying but my larger point is firing him now because Miami and the Chiefs let go of their coaches would be knee jerk. You are a smart guy - you want the Colts to act in that manner?

if we wait till next year we will have a no win season again, start over now ,get it in place so we can at least compete next year

Ha, someone's comment in this thread reminded me of great news:

Although Polian stated yesterday that he hopes Caldwell won't be fired because he hopes we win a game, does anybody remember about a month or two ago at a League Conference when Irsay sounded verrrry iffy about Caldwell's return to the Colts next year?

Recalling that fact, coupled with the news about Manning, just about made my day!

If I were the owner, I would let Caldwell go at the conclusion of the season. Even if the Polians want him, I would over rule, saying it's a change needed for the good of the business.

I would already be working with Polian discreetly to short list coach prospects and make discreet inquiries / 1st contact.

Ha, someone's comment in this thread reminded me of great news:

Although Polian stated yesterday that he hopes Caldwell won't be fired because he hopes we win a game, does anybody remember about a month or two ago at a League Conference when Irsay sounded verrrry iffy about Caldwell's return to the Colts next year?

Recalling that fact, coupled with the news about Manning, just about made my day!

That right there says it all, shows you that his son is in charge not him... CP makes the decisions when it comes to players and coaches.

The guy has coached some quality 4-3 defenses. I believe we have a lot of the right personnel, we just need a coach to put them in a scheme that isn't doomed to fail. He has been around a while, and he has an unrealized dream of being a head coach. I don't want to bring in Fisher, or Cowher, or Gruden. Let's bring in a guy who has had a lot of success as a Defensive Coordinator, and make him the new head coach.

Del Rio can be our DC. He's had some pretty good D's down in J-ville. I'd like Christenson gone too, mostly because I don't think Peyton likes him much, and he's proven to be pretty ineffective without Peyton. If Norv Turner gets fired I wouldn't object to bringing him in as OC. Say what you want about San Diego's deficiencies, but offensive production is not their biggest problem. I wouldn't want him as a head coach, but as OC I would love him.

I honestly don't care who we have as GM as long as it's not Bill Polian. I don't think he's bad at finding talent, I just don't like his hard-headedness and his inability to let coaches coach, and players play.

A combo of Mike Zimmer-head coach, Norv Turner-OC, Jack Del Rio-DC, and anyone not named Polian as GM, means quality team next year.

You know, I'm kind of in the same boat of thinking. The more and more I think about a particular guy, the more and more excited I get. The difference being the "guy."

Don't get me wrong, i think Mike Zimmer is a very good DC. The problem I see, and that most in this forum don't, is the transition (role change) from DC, to HC. Once you hire a HC, hes no longer the DC. His job is now not just to run a good defense, its to run a good team.

Without going into further detail on the difference in duties and difference in skills from DC to HC, I'd like to throw out the name of my Wish List HC.

Brian Billick.

When you really sit back and think, this guy has exactly the kind of skill set you'd want for a HC, and on top of that hes a HC that doesn't demand the GM duties. He's one of the smartest coaches to come through the NFL ranks, and was just delt a bad hand with Kyle Boller.

The thing I admire the most about Brian Billick, is the dude can put together a coaching staff. If I'm not mistaken, the season Billick and the Ravens won there championship, their Defensive staff looked something like this...

In 2000-2001, the defensive coaching staff included, Marvin Lewis (HC of the bengals), Rex Ryan (HC of the Jets), Mike Smith (Head Coach of the Falcons), Jack Del Rio (Previous HC of the Jags), Mike Nolan (Previous HC of the 49ers)

The thing about that staff I love the most, is it was put together before those guys were big name guys. If we brought Brian here, and he put a staff together that was half as good as that one, and just on one side of the ball, the Indianapolis Colts will finally have a staff to match there players in talent.

The thing I like about Brian the most, is hes not just smart, hes real. Something we've lacked in a HC since Mora. So with that, my vote for the next Head Coach of the Indianapolis Colts (If it mattered), is Brian Billick.

No, no, no. Polian is at Kelly Temp. Services staffing the coaching positions.

I really think that Dungy was better than people give him credit for. He could inspire the team and although the D wasn't great, it was much better than it's been in the past couple of years.

On defense, Dungy did the best he could with what he was given.

How about this for a funny scenario:

Colts dismiss Polians and Caldwell.

Kubiak blows next three games, including Colts game, with rookie qb, and is ousted by wild card team at home in 1st round... gets fired.

Colts bring in Jeff Fisher as President and Head Coach.

Brandon Fisher as GM, taking Chris Polian's spot.

Then Fisher brings in Kubiak as OC and Del Rio as DC.

How crazy would that look?

That could be Jim and Bills' logic, can Caldwell but allow him to stay in the organization. How about the CFL in Canada?

Show me an instance where a team has fired their HC but allowed him to stay on the franchise. It may have happened before, but I promise it is extraordinarily rare and will not happen with Caldwell.

Brian Billick.

When you really sit back and think, this guy has exactly the kind of skill set you'd want for a HC, and on top of that hes a HC that doesn't demand the GM duties. He's one of the smartest coaches to come through the NFL ranks, and was just delt a bad hand with Kyle Boller.

The thing I admire the most about Brian Billick, is the dude can put together a coaching staff. If I'm not mistaken, the season Billick and the Ravens won there championship, their Defensive staff looked something like this...

In 2000-2001, the defensive coaching staff included, Marvin Lewis (HC of the bengals), Rex Ryan (HC of the Jets), Mike Smith (Head Coach of the Falcons), Jack Del Rio (Previous HC of the Jags), Mike Nolan (Previous HC of the 49ers)

The thing about that staff I love the most, is it was put together before those guys were big name guys. If we brought Brian here, and he put a staff together that was half as good as that one, and just on one side of the ball, the Indianapolis Colts will finally have a staff to match there players in talent.

The thing I like about Brian the most, is hes not just smart, hes real. Something we've lacked in a HC since Mora. So with that, my vote for the next Head Coach of the Indianapolis Colts (If it mattered), is Brian Billick.

those assistant coaches haven't really done anything to distinguish themselves. nothing helps a staff like having great talent, and the ravens have drafted great players on defense over the years. for some reason they just can't do it on offense, and those coaches don't get head coaching jobs.

those assistant coaches haven't really done anything to distinguish themselves. nothing helps a staff like having great talent, and the ravens have drafted great players on defense over the years. for some reason they just can't do it on offense, and those coaches don't get head coaching jobs.

I agree, and its obvious, but that all of these guys were on the same staff put together by this man is the point I'm trying to make. Yeah none have won a superbowl since, but my point was that they were good, and big names now.

And obviously you need a talented roster to compete.

That's still a pretty impressive coaching tree.

Some discrepancies: They weren't all there that year. Rex Ryan didn't join the Ravens until 2005.

Another thing is that a couple of them haven't turned out to be good head coaches. Del Rio just got fired, although he had a couple good seasons. Mike Nolan didn't last long, and is back to being a coordinator, and a bit of a journeyman, but he's good at what he does defensively. Marvin Lewis is still a head coach, but I can't for the life of me understand why or how.

Still, when you have five former assistants who have gone on to be head coaches, it says something about you. I also think Brian Billick would be a good fit. Some have questions about his ego, and that might be a valid concern. He might not be the perfect guy for Indianapolis, at least based on the route Irsay and Polian have gone the past decade. But I think his credentials are strong, and as has been pointed out, he can put together a staff.