Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Coaching Staff [Mega-merge]

sfergson727

and that is exactly what Caldwell/Polian/Christensen are doing expecting Painter/Orvlosky/Collins to execute 18's offense.

Yeah this.

Polian basically said on his radio show last night that they didn't have time to condense the playbook for Painter once Manning went down.

Which I'm still hoping I didn't hear correctly otherwise I might just have an anyuerism trying to figure out how that could even be a remote possibility. That might be the case as I was still fighting off the stroke that started when he said he wasn't sure why they had a rookie LT single blocking Suggs all day.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have the creativity of a non-creative person... ;)

I could make several changes to our offense:

1. We could run more playaction bootleg passes, very similar to the Texans, if we are running the ball effectively which we have done pretty well this year.

2. We could throw some more screen passes to the runningbacks and we need to use the WR bubble screen more.

3. We need to throw the ball down the field. Stretch the defense. The opposing teams defenses know we are going to throw short, quick passes so they play aggessively. We simply need to throw more intermediate to deep passes. If we don't have good pass protection to do that, then that's where the plaction and the playaction bootleg comes in handy.

4. Run a couple of WR reverses a game.

5. And for some fun, do a halfback pass from Joseph Addai to a TE or receiver, maybe even back to the quarterback. We did it a long time ago if I remember right and Addai played quarterback in high school I think. If you can't win a game by execution, then you have to make things happen. The players would love to do this, not to mention the fans.

Those are some good ideas, but can our offensive line do it? Our line is banged up and young and you asking alot of them to do things that are tough to do.

You want them to adjust? How? You have built an offense to play one way. You can not cram a square peg into a round hole no matter how hard you try. Exactly what do you want them to do? You want change, so what kind of change? run the ball more? Our offense isn't built to run the ball that much. Change pass routes? What does it matter if your QB can't get them the ball? Play a new style of defense? Sure but if you don't have the talent to do it, what is the point. The Colts drafted specific players to play one way. Now you expect them to just change things up like that? NFL teams just can't change like that. Denver is winning because of schedule and defense, not their offense.

Ramblin made a lot of good points about what we could do. Bootlegs and RB/WR screens are two main things that I've been saying for a while. We are actually running the ball better this year than we have for a number of years and that is without the threat of a passing game. Rehashing what we need to do on D is sort of pointless since I know you've been involved in those conversation elsewhere on this site. Point is, if you were overdrawing your bank account because you were spending too much money each month on things you didn't need, wouldn't you change your spending habits? If you were tired because you were choosing to stay up until 2 and had to get up at 6, wouldn't you start going to be earlier? If you have one of the worst (if not the worst) statistical offenses in the NFL because you are choosing not to change how you run it even though you lost your best player, wouldn't you try to do something different so that you can improve?

I just don't see the rush. First off, it is a real possibility that Caldwell returns anyway. Secondly, I think it is a bad idea and precedent to fire someone as a reaction to what other teams are doing. Frankly, even as bad as this season has been, I don't want my team acting in such a rash, reactionary manner.

Ramblin made a lot of good points about what we could do. Bootlegs and RB/WR screens are two main things that I've been saying for a while. We are actually running the ball better this year than we have for a number of years and that is without the threat of a passing game. Rehashing what we need to do on D is sort of pointless since I know you've been involved in those conversation elsewhere on this site. Point is, if you were overdrawing your bank account because you were spending too much money each month on things you didn't need, wouldn't you change your spending habits? If you were tired because you were choosing to stay up until 2 and had to get up at 6, wouldn't you start going to be earlier? If you have one of the worst (if not the worst) statistical offenses in the NFL because you are choosing not to change how you run it even though you lost your best player, wouldn't you try to do something different so that you can improve?

It's easy for the fans to sit back and say hey do this, or stop doing that, or try this. We have no knowledge on what the abilities are of the players we presently have on the roster. Maybe switching to a different approach on defense with these guys just isn't feesable and would only make things worse. Change is not easy on simple things, maybe if the team had an offseason to do it then maybe they could, but I think this idea that we can change things up just like that is a bit much given we don't have full access.

rather people want to admit it or not polian has lost his touch. he is no longer the drafting goro he use to be and is losing the team imo. the guy is outdated and refuses to fix a problem when its there (ala the defense and caldwell). we need to change our whole phiosphoy starting with the front office because we can not continue to let polian control the team starting with the lousy coaching staff and the pathetic excuse of a defense he keeps making our players play.

What???

ridiculous

These are multi-millionaires, who've been involved with football their whole lives...

They could & should have switched things up ALONG time ago (if they wanted to actually win)...

They are purposefully tanking the season...

What does money have to do with it? Yes they have been involved in football their whole life, but that does not mean that they can just change how they approach their position. I think fans watch a game and think it looks so simple why can't they just do this or that, well you can't, this is a complicated game.

• Polian said the Colts were planning to draft T.J. Yates in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. TheTexans took him earlier. Polian said that the Colts should have taken Yates earlier.

In the same show Polian said that they really felt that Curtis Painter would be able to step in and do the job in Peyton's place. So, if they really felt that, why were they considering drafting another QB, especially considering that they supposedly had no idea last April that Peyton would miss significant time? It's getting harder and harder to believe anything that comes out of Bill's mouth.

It's easy for the fans to sit back and say hey do this, or stop doing that, or try this. We have no knowledge on what the abilities are of the players we presently have on the roster. Maybe switching to a different approach on defense with these guys just isn't feesable and would only make things worse. Change is not easy on simple things, maybe if the team had an offseason to do it then maybe they could, but I think this idea that we can change things up just like that is a bit much given we don't have full access.

These guys are multi-millionaires, these guys have been around football their entire life. If coached correctly players could at least TRY to switch their approach...

This team isn't even trying...

I could see Jeff coaching in Indy. If we did get another head coach, I would be excited to see him on the sideline. I think he would be a pretty good fit, and if we do not get him someone else probably will. However, I still feel that despite the fact that everyone on here has been calling for the firing of Jim Caldwell, he will still be our coach next season. If we do not turn things around by mid-season next year, then he will be gone. I think he is going to get another shot once Manning returns, whether the majority or the fan base agrees with that or not.

If I was a betting man, this is what I would lay my money on.

Could be a done deal as far as we know... and that would not surprise me one bit. You can also throw Fisher's son, Brandon, into this mix. He will undoubtedly be on the staff if this goes down.

http://www.prideofde...-coaching-staff

1. The Colts front office won't make any decissions till after teh final game

2. The ego's involved are just to big, no shot Polian hires someone like Fisher.

You don't have to bring in anyone new. You can promote someone on the staff to interim head coach for three games. It happens all the time. You don't have to expect them to necessarily do any better, but you'll at least prove to your players that you take their effort seriously. It's a formality.

Meantime, you can start interviewing. Most candidates won't interview while there's a lame duck in place, out of respect for the position. But if you make the job available, you can start taking meetings now.

Anyways, Polian pretty much stated yesterday that Caldwell isn't going anywhere unless we don't win a game. Not exactly, but that's the impression I got. And that's depressing.

If i were you i wouldnt be paying attention to what polian says, right now there seems to be some friction in the colts FO and what BP has to say i would take with alot of salt.. irsay wasnt born yesterday even if the colts win a game with caldwell and draft luck while still keeping manning they are gonna most likely lose money and answer to alot of angry fans.

These guys are multi-millionaires, these guys have been around football their entire life. If coached correctly players could at least TRY to switch their approach...

This team isn't even trying...

Again you have no proof to back that up, you are guessing at best.

Fans job is also to pay money so the FO, coaches and players get paid. How about Irsay have a private stadium and run the show with zero fans. Lets see how he generates money.

Look i am not saying he need to listen to everything fans have to say but its common sense this year how the FO and coaching staff looks like.

What % of fan money do you think is the colts budget? A good owner will not just look at 1 season. He will look at the overall franchise over say maybe a 4-6 year period and see what trends happened, injuries and such. Owners that make snap decisions based off of 1 season, no bad how bad it is usually are those owners with poor overall records as a franchise.

What???

ridiculous

These are multi-millionaires, who've been involved with football their whole lives...

They could & should have switched things up ALONG time ago (if they wanted to actually win)...

They are purposefully tanking the season...

If they were the players wouldn't still be playing hard. Watch the games and it's clear the guys are still trying. They just aren't good enough across the board.

If i were you i wouldnt be paying attention to what polian says, right now there seems to be some friction in the colts FO and what BP has to say i would take with alot of salt.. irsay wasnt born yesterday even if the colts win a game with caldwell and draft luck while still keeping manning they are gonna most likely lose money and answer to alot of angry fans.

How would they lose money? they have a sold out stadium, a waiting list, a good merchandise sale and a great stadium deal with the city. The Colts are no where near losing money. Fans anger will be gone if Peyton returns next season and the colts go 10-6 or 11-5 and make the playoffs...

Here is some sound information. This team went 10-6 last year. They are probably going to go 0-16 this year. The Colts have not shown any improvement throughout the course of the season. Why do we even pay a head coach if he has nothing to do with the win-loss record?

Well lets see, Denver has won like 6 games in a row, but not because they changed thier offense to fit Teabow as their offense is one of the worse in teh NFL, but because their defense started to play, so should John Fox be fired?

How would they lose money? they have a sold out stadium, a waiting list, a good merchandise sale and a great stadium deal with the city. The Colts are no where near losing money. Fans anger will be gone if Peyton returns next season and the colts go 10-6 or 11-5 and make the playoffs...

Peyton manning jerseys have dropped and colts tickets are going for cheap and in some cases free, if caldwell is back i can guarantee you there will be no sold out stadium... so yea they will lose money...

Because I don't think he's that good of a head coach. I've posted on this a ton of times in the past. Just not a Jeff Fisher fan. Interview him, that's fine. Interview tons of people, please. But I think we can do much better than Jeff Fisher.

Let's say Caldwell is fired today. Who would you like to see brought in as the new HC?

Again you have no proof to back that up, you are guessing at best.

Proof???

I don't thinkYou need proof that these guys are multi-millionaires???

You need proof that these guys have been playing football their whole life???

Guessing that changes & adjustments aren't being made???

Coyer himself said he wanted to game plan & call more aggressive plays, but was told to maintain the soft cover-2

If they were the players wouldn't still be playing hard. Watch the games and it's clear the guys are still trying. They just aren't good enough across the board.

I think the coaching staff & F.O. are tanking the season, not the players.

Proof???

I don't thinkYou need proof that these guys are multi-millionaires???

You need proof that these guys have been playing football their whole life???

Guessing that changes & adjustments aren't being made???

Coyer himself said he wanted to game plan & call more aggressive plays, but was told to maintain the soft cover-2

I think the coaching staff & F.O. are tanking the season, not the players.

lets go with your assumption...so what if they are tanking....what is the harm?

Well lets see, Denver has won like 6 games in a row, but not because they changed thier offense to fit Teabow as their offense is one of the worse in teh NFL, but because their defense started to play, so should John Fox be fired?

Of course not. He has his team atop his division and is going to make the playoffs. And if you don't think the offense has changed to fit Tebow's style, you are sorely mistaken. You think they were running option plays when Orton was QB? Geez man, we get it, you love Caldwell and want him back next year. Quit making yourself look dumb by posing asinine hypotheticals.

Peyton manning jerseys have dropped and colts tickets are going for cheap and in some cases free, if caldwell is back i can guarantee you there will be no sold out stadium... so yea they will lose money...

What cheap? I bought two tics for this sunday night's game in teh nose bleed and cost me $25 per ticket. If you want to sit down low you are going to pay big bucks. There is something like a 7000+ waiting list for ST, trust me, the stadium will be sold out again next season. Now if the Colts go say 3-4 seasons of losing football maybe, but 1...not a chance especially if Peyton comes back.