Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Werner Yesterday

Dark Superman

I really hope that this guy is injured by the performance he put in yesterday. His pass rushing skills looked absolutely dreadful.. I know he shines against the run from time to time, but we drafted him as a pass rushing linebacker. I'm sorry, but I am very disappointed in Bjoern and I have never been a fan of the draft pick. I really hope he turns it around..

In watch Werner, here is my theory.  He was a good rush end at FS because he would get in a 4 point stance or 3 point and was usually the first guy off the ball.  So he didn't really have moves, he just got the first step.  Ok, so standing him up takes away his advantage on the first step, which makes him a pretty ordinary pass rusher. He needs to learn more pass rushing moves.

Werner's play was absolutely abysmal yesterday, and was a non factor.

Looking at the stat sheet, you would think he didn't even play.

I honestly think Newsome had more snaps than Werner yesterday. I noticed Newsome in a lot. Would be interested to see the snap count.

But yes Werner was pretty bad.

In watch Werner, here is my theory.  He was a good rush end at FS because he would get in a 4 point stance or 3 point and was usually the first guy off the ball.  So he didn't really have moves, he just got the first step.  Ok, so standing him up takes away his advantage on the first step, which makes him a pretty ordinary pass rusher. He needs to learn more pass rushing moves.

He has his hand in the dirt the majority of the time...

Werner's play was absolutely abysmal yesterday, and was a non factor. 

Looking at the stat sheet, you would think he didn't even play. 

He was fine against the run, except for the reverse. Pass rush was bad, worse than usual. He has a shoulder injury, so there's a little bit of an excuse, but he didn't play well. Studebaker could have done his job yesterday...

He was fine against the run, except for the reverse. Pass rush was bad, worse than usual. He has a shoulder injury, so there's a little bit of an excuse, but he didn't play well. Studebaker could have done his job yesterday...

That reverse play with burkhead looked bad, werner got embarrased there.

That reverse play with burkhead looked bad, werner got embarrased there.

Meh, it was a reverse. The entire defense went with the initial action. Butler and the two inside linebackers were halfway across the field. Good play design, Werner could have shown more awareness, but I don't think it was that bad. 

Meh, it was a reverse. The entire defense went with the initial action. Butler and the two inside linebackers were halfway across the field. Good play design, Werner could have shown more awareness, but I don't think it was that bad. 

I'm probably overreacting because it was a 23 yard play as their first play and it looked like Werner was the only one there to stop it. I'm just kinda worried that he's a bust. It's a shame, he looked like he was improving the first half the season. Hopefully his performance was due to injury yesterday.

I'm probably overreacting because it was a 23 yard play as their first play and it looked like Werner was the only one there to stop it. I'm just kinda worried that he's a bust. It's a shame, he looked like he was improving the first half the season. Hopefully his performance was due to injury yesterday.

He's evidently not the pass rusher we hoped. I generally shy away from the word bust, but if he can't rush the passer, there's no question that he doesn't justify the first round pick we used on him.

He's evidently not the pass rusher we hoped. I generally shy away from the word bust, but if he can't rush the passer, there's no question that he doesn't justify the first round pick we used on him.

Yeah.. every team has some of those guys.

Werner was playing hurt, but he still never showed anything this year remotely approaching 1st round talent.

I hope Chuck doesn't influence Grigson to reach for this level of D player in the 1st and 2nd rounds this year just to build his "monster" while there are still 1st/2nd round talent on the board at other positions.

So do you think we should move him to DE? So he can have his hand in the dirt

Yeah, I agree. I saw like five colts players who all looked like a deer in headlights. They just weren't prepared for it.

I really hope that this guy is injured by the performance he put in yesterday. His pass rushing skills looked absolutely dreadful.. I know he shines against the run from time to time, but we drafted him as a pass rushing linebacker. I'm sorry, but I am very disappointed in Bjoern and I have never been a fan of the draft pick. I really hope he turns it around..

What do you expect he is more of a 4-3 defensive end not a 3-4 outside linebacker.

This same criticism was echoed by someone in the media recently, and I agree. I think he has plenty of natural talent, and seems to be a sure-tackler, but maybe he's just better suited to a different position--what, I'm not sure. Maybe SAM?