Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We shut out the Bengals mid season

Nesjan3

Does anyone remember this? It happened. A few short months ago we completely dominated and SHUT OUT the same team we are going to face this weekend. All the analysts and football 'gurus' and also a large number of fans have us one and done, it seems as though this game didn't even happen...we dominated them once whos to say we cant do it again?

Thanks for the reminder.    I'm almost positive here no one remembers that.

But, the fact is, they're not the same Bengals.    They'll have AJ Green who was out hurt then.   And they've now worked Hill in at RB, and he'll attack our middle.    Think what Gray did to us in the New England game.

I think we'll win because Andy Dalton is.....   Andy Dalton,  and the Colts have Andrew Luck.

But this doesn't project to be an easy win.....

I live in the heart of Bengal Country and it is funny listening to their fans talk about the game Sunday. Everyone is saying that if AJ plays they have a chance to win the game, but if he doesn't they believe they will get blown out. Everyone I have heard talk has said the same thing a lot of people on here have stated......they have Andy Dalton under center. I think it will be a much much closer game than earlier in the year. At that time of the year our D was rolling. I still believe we win, but if it were to be a blow out on our end I would be shocked.

But, the fact is, they're not the same Bengals.    They'll have AJ Green who was out hurt then.   And they've now worked Hill in at RB, and he'll attack our middle.    Think what Gray did to us in the New England game.

I think we'll win because Andy Dalton is.....   Andy Dalton,  and the Colts have Andrew Luck.

Green needs to pass the concussion protocol which usually takes a week

Does anyone remember this? It happened. A few short months ago we completely dominated and SHUT OUT the same team we are going to face this weekend. All the analysts and football 'gurus' and also a large number of fans have us one and done, it seems as though this game didn't even happen...we dominated them once whos to say we cant do it again?

Ya that was a few months ago now we are not the same team and haven't been since that game.

its not his choice. He has to pass all the nfl mandated tests.

Do you remember that Peyton once admitted purposely doing poorly on the evaluation tests at the beginning of the season to help get around the protocols?  He did, and I suspect that is still a common practice.  

In other words, the test may not mean diddley.

To the OP's point, yes we did, but that doesn't mean jack squat (picture Matt Foley) for Sunday's game.  We are capable of winning, but it is FAR FAR FAR from a sure thing.

It WON'T be an easy win.  But, a win is possible if we fight hard and have the right players in the right postions.

Yes, we did.  They also know what we did, and will make adjustments.  Our coaches know this too.  Marvin Lewis has been around long enough to know to study that film again before preparng a game plan for round two.  Beside, we dominated a team in regular season in 2005 on Monday night.  Then they took us down in a nail biter in the playoffs and sent us home.  Anybody else remember these two headlines vs. the Steelers that year?

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=251128011

and then-

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260115011

Those that do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.  I think Reggie Wayne is the only guy in that locker room that can share the story.  I hope he does too.

that's true, but, as you said they have Andy Dalton, who is no Tom Brady.  Therefore I don't think the Colts will feel the need to play as much Nickel against the Bengals as they did against the Pats.

Both teams are nearly identical.. one has a running game .. one doesnt(colts).. luck will be asked to throw 40+ times and the turnovers will be inevitable.. despite the turnovers luck will have a chance to put together a game winning drive.. in which we may or may not get.. fingers crossed

that's true, but, as you said they have Andy Dalton, who is no Tom Brady.  Therefore I don't think the Colts will feel the need to play as much Nickel against the Bengals as they did against the Pats.

The Pats did plenty of running on 1st down when we weren't in nickle situations.    They also used 6 OL formations in more than half of their downs.

Plenty of teams have had success against us running right up our gut.

So,  I'm skeptical until we prove we can stop it....    but again,  I'm predicting a win....   maybe not a big win,  but a win....

The Pats did plenty of running on 1st down when we weren't in nickle situations.    They also used 6 OL formations in more than half of their downs.

Plenty of teams have had success against us running right up our gut.

So,  I'm skeptical until we prove we can stop it....    but again,  I'm predicting a win....   maybe not a big win,  but a win....

Ok admittedly I only watched the Pats game once, but I thought the Colts played a lot more Nickel than they usually do, and that was how the Pats did most of the damage.

Even with that though, then you have the flip side where the Colts held the #1 rushing attack of the Cowboys to less than 2.7 yards per carry.  I'm not nearly as worried about our rush defense as I am the rushing offense.  The offense has to sustain drives to keep the defense from getting gassed.

See last season:

We stomped the Chiefs 23-7 in week 16 @ their stadium completely shutting them out for the last 3 quarters.

What happened the next time we played? We were down 38-10 just after half time.

Sure we won, but those games were two weeks apart. A defense that held the same team to 7 points in 4 quarters gave up 44 points in that game, so it really doesn't matter what happened before.

If anything I'm a little scared because I'm sure they are mad that they were embarrassed like that in week 7.

If he doesn't pass and play,  I think most everyone will be very, very, very surprised.

remember vontaes concussion, he sayd he could play but he didn't have the tests done it time and he missed the cle game, they take a week. Green might be good to go but his tests might not be done in time

remember vontaes concussion, he sayd he could play but he didn't have the tests done it time and he missed the cle game, they take a week. Green might be good to go but his tests might not be done in time

To the best of my knowledge,  there are no blood tests to be shipped off to labs.

They give him tests and I think most are pretty much pass or fail.     He has established baseline results which are tested against.

He either reaches the limits needed, or he doesn't.

So, I don't think whether he plays is determined by some bureaucratic red tape while paper work gets processed at the league office.

I expect a similar game to last year's matchup at Cincinnatti, with the exception that the Colts pull this one out.

I've heard all the regular talking heads say this is a different Bengal team than the we played in October. Big deal, for those of you who haven't noticed the Colts have played pretty consistently throughout the season. Dominated against all teams other than those ones that  the talking heads call "elite". MAKE ME LAUGH! I heard one * say the Colts got taken apart by Eli Manning. Huh, it was 40-10, the Colts had taken their foot off the gas, pulled most of their starters and the Giants got 200 yards and 14 points in the 4th quarter. These media jokes need to do better research before opening their mouths. One interesting fact I noticed in reviewing final stats today, the awful,no defense,pathetic Colt d finished the season yielding fewer ypg than both the vaunted, spectacular,tremendous Pats and Steelers. I know, I know, stats don't mean anything, but , maybe just maybe this Colt defense isn't as bad as the whiners on this forum think it is.

A 50/50 shot against Andy Dalton and a Bengal team that will be without AJ Green, J Gresham, and A Eifert?

Really?   If Indy loses this game things really NEED to be evaluated.       I think Cincy is in for ANOTHER thumping. 

THE next round is when I am really interested in.      And I hope it is NE.      If ya wanna be the BEST ya gotta BEAT the best.  

I "kinda" feel good about Indy going into these playoffs for ONE reason......      Gos and Reitz "should" be returning to the right side of the OL.    And iIF healthy?   that is BIG.

We shall see.....

We have a shot against the Bengals...it's 50-50.

We just don't have a hope against anybody else.

The Bengals are a different team I was surprised how long it took the to hand it over to Hill i think he only had 4 carries the first time we played.

If we can control Hill and make Dalton thriow it we should win easily. If we have trouble with Hill Adam may have to win it for us at the end. Either way I think we get it done