Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we PLEASE squash the "weak division" ignorance?

DalTXColtsFan

We are COLTS FANS here people.  Can we PLEASE not only lift this veil of ignorance over all of our heads that we only made the playoffs due to a weak division but throw it in the fireplace and BURN IT????  PLEASE??????????????

First of all, give the Texans the credit they're due.  They finished with a WINNING RECORD for crying out loud - they beat playoff-bound Baltimore with their 4th frickin' quarterback!  They've got all-pro calibre players at WR, RB, OL, DE and LB.  Beating them twice in one year is an accomplishment.  There are 7 teams including the playoff-bound Ravens who couldn't even beat them once.

So the Colts got to play 4 games against Tennessee and Jacksonville.  So what?  The ENTIRE AFC NORTH got to play 4 games against the NFC south.  The AFC West got to play 2 games against Oakland.  The AFC East got to play 2 games against the Jets.  The NFC East got to play 4 games against the Giants and Redskins.  The NFC North got to play 4 games against the Bears and Vikings.

How many teams in the AFC can you say had a clearly, quantifiably better season than the Colts?  New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, who else?  Cincinnati?  Nope.  Baltimore?  Nope.  SD?  I'd have made that argument last week but not when they stumbled to an inferior team with no passing game with the playoffs on the line. Nope.  KC? Houston? Buffalo?  Miami?  Cleveland?  Are ANY of those teams better than the Colts?  NOPE.

The Colts are in the playoffs because they were the fourth-best team in the conference and the top 6 make it.

So please, let the fans of the other 31 teams be * and blame it on the weak schedule.  Let us COLTS FANS be SMART and see our team for what it was - a team that DESERVES to make the playoffs.

Thank you.

We are COLTS FANS here people. Can we PLEASE not only lift this veil of ignorance over all of our heads that we only made the playoffs due to a weak division but throw it in the fireplace and BURN IT???? PLEASE??????????????

First of all, give the Texans the credit they're due. They finished with a WINNING RECORD for crying out loud - they beat playoff-bound Baltimore with their 4th frickin' quarterback! They've got all-pro calibre players at WR, RB, OL, DE and LB. Beating them twice in one year is an accomplishment. There are 7 teams including the playoff-bound Ravens who couldn't even beat them once.

So the Colts got to play 4 games against Tennessee and Jacksonville. So what? The ENTIRE AFC NORTH got to play 4 games against the NFC south. The AFC West got to play 2 games against Oakland. The AFC East got to play 2 games against the Jets. The NFC East got to play 4 games against the Giants and Redskins. The NFC North got to play 4 games against the Bears and Vikings.

How many teams in the AFC can you say had a clearly, quantifiably better season than the Colts? New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, who else? Cincinnati? Nope. Baltimore? Nope. SD? I'd have made that argument last week but not when they stumbled to an inferior team with no passing game with the playoffs on the line. Nope. KC? Houston? Buffalo? Miami? Cleveland? Are ANY of those teams better than the Colts? NOPE.

The Colts are in the playoffs because they were the fourth-best team in the conference and the top 6 make it.

So please, let the fans of the other 31 teams be * and blame it on the weak schedule. Let us COLTS FANS be SMART and see our team for what it was - a team that DESERVES to make the playoffs.

Thank you.

I love the Colts, been rooting for them since the 50s- but it is what it is. Colts needed our weakest division to keep the playoff hopes alive this year. Sugarcoat it all you want, doesn't change it.

Okay....I see us as 5 and 5 outside our division for the last three years.  .500 team.  Is that better?

You're completely missing the point.  There are 16 teams in the AFC.  The top 6 deserve to make the playoffs.  Were the Colts one of the top 6 teams in the AFC in 2012?  2013? 2014?  If not, for each year they weren't name 6 teams who were clearly superior.

I love the Colts, been rooting for them since the 50s- but it is what it is. Colts needed our weakest division to keep the playoff hopes alive this year. Sugarcoat it all you want, doesn't change it.

I'll pose the same challenge to you.  Name 6 AFC teams who had a clearly, quantifiably better season than the Colts in 2014.

Okay....I see us as 5 and 5 outside our division for the last three years.  .500 team.  Is that better?

I don't know if that was our record in 2012 outside the division because I recall being 11 - 5 but having a loss to the Texans in there.  So we where likely 6 - 4 outside the division and 5 - 1 in the division in 2012.  

But this year and last we've been 6 - 0 in the division and 5 - 5 outside the division.  

Simple answer about divisions. Colts used to be in AFC East. Would we be 11-5 and division winners 3 straight years playing Patriots Bills Jets Dolphins twice each year?

The whole thread seems ludicrous, to me. Colts made the playoffs. Be happy!

Before 1970 we were in NFC West. Want that???

You're completely missing the point.  There are 16 teams in the AFC.  The top 6 deserve to make the playoffs.  Were the Colts one of the top 6 teams in the AFC in 2012?  2013? 2014?  If not, for each year they weren't name 6 teams who were clearly superior.

It's not a question of the better season because the better season is the one with more wins in it.

it's a question of if those teams are better teams then the Colts where.  If we flipped schedules with them, would we be in the playoffs?

Flip schedules with KC or SD are we in playoffs even as a wildcard?  Flip schedules with Baltimore . . . are we in the playoffs?

I would say in all 3 cases it would be highly questionable.  

Well said Jimmy I myself  have been rooting for them since the late 60's 

"I'm not always wrong, but when I am, I prefer to be defiant and in your face about it.....stay thirsty my friends."

Well, yeah!

In my defense, mis-stating one game is hardly making up numbers, and doesn't change the fact we have been a .500 outside our division for TWO seasons, and NEARLY a .500 team outside the division in 2012.

I will still give the Colts credit for beating the teams in our division though, as there is no such thing as a sure win in the NFL.

It's not a question of the better season because the better season is the one with more wins in it.

it's a question of if those teams are better teams then the Colts where.  If we flipped schedules with them, would we be in the playoffs?

Flip schedules with KC or SD are we in playoffs even as a wildcard?  Flip schedules with Baltimore . . . are we in the playoffs?

I would say in all 3 cases it would be highly questionable.  

You'd be wrong.  Have you even LOOKED at the schedules for any of the teams in the AFC North?

Flip schedules with Pittsburgh for example and the Colts are probably 14-2 this year.  Don't believe me?  Look at their schedule.  6 games against Cincy, Balt and Cleveland ALL TEAMS THE COLTS BEAT.  4 games against the NFC south.  THE BEST TEAM THAT PITTSBURGH BEAT IS THE COLTS.  They didn't even have to PLAY New England, Denver, Dallas, Philly, Green Bay or Seattle.

Flip schedules with Baltimore and you're adding 2 games against Pittsburgh, so the Colts are probably 12-4 or 13-3.

Flip schedules with the Bengals and you're having to throw a couple games against Denver and New England in there as well, so maybe 10-6 or 11-5.

I'll give you KC - four games against the Chargers and Broncos plus NE, Seattle and Arizona.  That's a pretty tough schedule.  KC also got to play Oakland twice, Tennessee, the Rams, bills, jets, dolphins.  Tough sledding for the Colts to make the playoffs with that schedule.

Flip schedules with SD and I believe the Colts get in because the Colts match up so much better against KC than they do against SD - they would sweep KC and that would be enough to get in as a wildcard.

Flip schedules with New England and the Colts win that division too.  If the Colts can win 5 games against Cincy, Balt, Cle and Hou why couldn't they win 6 games against Mia, Buf and NYJ?

There are strong teams and there are weak teams in every sport all over the world. Always been that way and always will be, but a strong team will beat a weak team much like a good team will (most of the time). No big deal how the Colts got there is what it is, now lets see what they can do with the cards they hold.

You'd be wrong. Have you even LOOKED at the schedules for any of the teams in the AFC North?

Flip schedules with Pittsburgh for example and the Colts are probably 14-2 this year. Don't believe me? Look at their schedule. 6 games against Cincy, Balt and Cleveland ALL TEAMS THE COLTS BEAT. 4 games against the NFC south. THE BEST TEAM THAT PITTSBURGH BEAT IS THE COLTS. They didn't even have to PLAY New England, Denver, Dallas, Philly, Green Bay or Seattle.

Flip schedules with Baltimore and the Colts are still probably 13-3 or 14-2.

Flip schedules with the Bengals and you're having to throw a couple games against Denver and New England in there, so maybe 11-5 or 12-4.

I'll give you KC - four games against the Chargers and Broncos plus NE, Seattle and Arizona. That's a pretty tough schedule. KC also got to play Oakland twice, Tennessee, the Rams, bills, jets, dolphins. Tough sledding for the Colts to make the playoffs with that schedule.

Flip schedules with SD and I believe the Colts get in because the Colts match up so much better against KC than they do against SD - they would sweep KC and that would be enough to get in as a wildcard.

Flip schedules with New England and the Colts win that division too. If the Colts can win 5 games against Cincy, Balt, Cle and Hou why couldn't they win 6 games against Mia, Buf and NYJ?

you'd better not go for a drug test today. Colts playing twice against Baltimore Cincinnati Pittsburgh Cleveland, plus, because of having to play other division winners once (Denver and New England, )then a 1st place NFC team (division winners from year before schedule)too? And you think 14-2???????? Have you ever been to Baltimore Pittsburgh Cincinnati for a road game, in the winter??! Methinks you're in need of a reality check. Colts won, be happy...

Those are physical, blitzing teams. Colts will eventually match up with them. But this year our line would be nonexistent in that division. Especially Twice a year...

you'd better not go for a drug test today. Colts playing twice against Baltimore Cincinnati Pittsburgh Cleveland, plus, because of having to play other division winners once (Denver and New England, )then a 1st place NFC team (division winners from year before schedule)too? And you think 14-2???????? Have you ever been to Baltimore Pittsburgh Cincinnati for a road game, in the winter??! Methinks you're in need of a reality check. Colts won, be happy...

Those are physical, blitzing teams. Colts will eventually match up with them. But this year our line would be nonexistent in that division. Especially Twice a year...

Again, look at facts not emotions.  If you're going to attack me and say I'd better not take a drug test, I'll fire back and say you'd better not take a reading comprehension test.  

I said the Colts would go 14-2 with PITTSBURGH'S schedule (which does NOT include playing AGAINST Pittsburgh).  Pittsburgh didn't win the division last year, Cincinnati did, therefore Pittsburgh didn't have to play NE or Denver, Cincinnati did.  The best team Pittsburgh even had to PLAY, much less beat, was the Colts.  You don't think the Colts could have swept the NFC South?  You don't think the Colts could have gone at LEAST 4-2 against Cincy, Balt and Cleveland?

I said the Colts would go 10-6 or 11-5 with Cincinnati's schedule - that includes two games against Pitt plus Den and NE.  That's pretty tough.

You'd be wrong.  Have you even LOOKED at the schedules for any of the teams in the AFC North?

Flip schedules with Pittsburgh for example and the Colts are probably 14-2 this year.  Don't believe me?  Look at their schedule.  6 games against Cincy, Balt and Cleveland ALL TEAMS THE COLTS BEAT.  4 games against the NFC south.  THE BEST TEAM THAT PITTSBURGH BEAT IS THE COLTS.  They didn't even have to PLAY New England, Denver, Dallas, Philly, Green Bay or Seattle.

Flip schedules with Baltimore and you're adding 2 games against Pittsburgh, so the Colts are probably 12-4 or 13-3.

Flip schedules with the Bengals and you're having to throw a couple games against Denver and New England in there as well, so maybe 10-6 or 11-5.

I'll give you KC - four games against the Chargers and Broncos plus NE, Seattle and Arizona.  That's a pretty tough schedule.  KC also got to play Oakland twice, Tennessee, the Rams, bills, jets, dolphins.  Tough sledding for the Colts to make the playoffs with that schedule.

Flip schedules with New England and the Colts win that division too.  If the Colts can win 5 games against Cincy, Balt, Cle and Hou why couldn't they win 6 games against Mia, Buf and NYJ?

We beat Cincy, Balt and Cleveland in 1 game a piece.   2 of them where at home.  1 was at home without their best player.  Balt we won by 1 score.  

I don't buy that we beat all 3 of those teams both times.  

The Rams and Bills are underrated.  The Rams defense is scary and they have beaten some pretty good teams this year.  The Bills also beat some pretty good teams once Orton took over at QB.

I wouldn't count on a sweep of KC either.  

And lets remember being in another division means that we likely have to win a wild card spot.  Because all 3 other division winners beat the tar out of us this season.  And if we played them during December the way we played then we would have gotten blown out even worse.

Ultimately you can't change the fact that 2 out of the 3 other teams in our division are picking in the top 5 in the draft AGAIN.

Again, look at facts not emotions. If you're going to attack me and say I'd better not take a drug test, I'll fire back and say you'd better not take a reading comprehension test.

I said the Colts would go 14-2 with PITTSBURGH'S schedule (which does NOT include playing AGAINST Pittsburgh). Pittsburgh didn't win the division last year, Cincinnati did, therefore Pittsburgh didn't have to play NE or Denver, Cincinnati did. The best team Pittsburgh even had to PLAY, much less beat, was the Colts. You don't think the Colts could have swept the NFC South? You don't think the Colts could have gone at LEAST 4-2 against Cincy, Balt and Cleveland?

I said the Colts would go 10-6 or 11-5 with Cincinnati's schedule - that includes two games against Pitt plus Den and NE. That's pretty tough.

500 at best. Our young beat up line isn't ready for those week after week beatings....

And the Colts were 100% healthy against Cincy.  We weren't missing our all-pro passrusher or anything like that.

Denver beat *us* by 1 score in *Denver*, I suppose you still think there's 0 chance Indy could take Denver in Indy, yet you're absolutely sure Baltimore would beat Indy in Baltimore.  Or do such arguments only apply when they're *against* the Colts by their own "fans"?

I also didn't say we'd sweep them.  I just said 4-2 was the minimum.  Cincy beat Denver in Cincy, that was a pretty big win for them.

Baltimore lost to us heads-up and lost to a Houston team that was starting its 4th-string quarterback in December yet somehow Baltimore deserves to be in the playoffs and we don't because Colts fans think Baltimore had a tougher schedule than Indy when they really didn't.

I still don't know why I keep trying.  If you want to be a Colts fan and believe your Colts didn't EARN their playoff spot, so be it.  I'm done.

We beat Cincy, Balt and Cleveland in 1 game a piece.   2 of them where at home.  1 was at home without their best player.  Balt we won by 1 score.  

I don't buy that we beat all 3 of those teams both times.  

The Rams and Bills are underrated.  The Rams defense is scary and they have beaten some pretty good teams this year.  The Bills also beat some pretty good teams once Orton took over at QB.

I wouldn't count on a sweep of KC either.  

And lets remember being in another division means that we likely have to win a wild card spot.  Because all 3 other division winners beat the tar out of us this season.  And if we played them during December the way we played then we would have gotten blown out even worse.

Ultimately you can't change the fact that 2 out of the 3 other teams in our division are picking in the top 5 in the draft AGAIN.

*sigh* I don't know why I bothered trying.

You are wasting you time trying to be positive in this Colts forum. It is not acceptable. I don't go to other teams forums so I really don't know if they are so negative. I am beginning to think that there are way to many so called Colt fans in this forum. Some are not Colts fans, there constant whiners.

Simple answer about divisions. Colts used to be in AFC East. Would we be 11-5 and division winners 3 straight years playing Patriots Bills Jets Dolphins twice each year?

The whole thread seems ludicrous, to me. Colts made the playoffs. Be happy!

Before 1970 we were in NFC West. Want that???

NFL Coastal

You are wasting you time trying to be positive in this Colts forum. It is not acceptable. I don't go to other teams forums so I really don't know if they are so negative. I am beginning to think that there are way to many so called Colt fans in this forum. Some are not Colts fans, there constant whiners.

most of us are positive, actually- in a realistic way. Just not delusional that playing Jax and Titans is equal to playing Balt and Cleveland or Oakland and San Diego.

thats not correct they lost two games in the dvision in 2012 so they were 7-3 in games outside it.

I stand corrected.

Looking back at '12, I see we lost to Jax and the Texans that year.  Another thing that struck me, a lot of those games were very close.  We were creamed by the Bears, Jets and Pats, and beat the Texans and Jags by more than two scores, but the rest were pretty much within 7 points or less.  (not that it means anything, I just thought it was interesting)

*sigh* I don't know why I bothered trying.

dont let it get to you some just like to be negative here.

The AFC South is not a great division but that doesn't mean it can't have a good team. That's what the Colts are a good team. They aren't great but this idea that would fall flat on their face in another division I think is false.

We are COLTS FANS here people.  Can we PLEASE not only lift this veil of ignorance over all of our heads that we only made the playoffs due to a weak division but throw it in the fireplace and BURN IT????  PLEASE??????????????

First of all, give the Texans the credit they're due.  They finished with a WINNING RECORD for crying out loud - they beat playoff-bound Baltimore with their 4th frickin' quarterback!  They've got all-pro calibre players at WR, RB, OL, DE and LB.  Beating them twice in one year is an accomplishment.  There are 7 teams including the playoff-bound Ravens who couldn't even beat them once.

So the Colts got to play 4 games against Tennessee and Jacksonville.  So what?  The ENTIRE AFC NORTH got to play 4 games against the NFC south.  The AFC West got to play 2 games against Oakland.  The AFC East got to play 2 games against the Jets.  The NFC East got to play 4 games against the Giants and Redskins.  The NFC North got to play 4 games against the Bears and Vikings.

How many teams in the AFC can you say had a clearly, quantifiably better season than the Colts?  New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, who else?  Cincinnati?  Nope.  Baltimore?  Nope.  SD?  I'd have made that argument last week but not when they stumbled to an inferior team with no passing game with the playoffs on the line. Nope.  KC? Houston? Buffalo?  Miami?  Cleveland?  Are ANY of those teams better than the Colts?  NOPE.

So please, let the fans of the other 31 teams be * and blame it on the weak schedule.  Let us COLTS FANS be SMART and see our team for what it was - a team that DESERVES to make the playoffs.

Thank you.

And that is the good news.  we took care of business where it mattered, and completed goal #1.  Win the division.  You can only play the opponent on your schedule. 

What people forget (or never realized) is really how close teams are to each other.  A team that loses consistently may be only a couple fine pieces away from going from worst to first in their division.  It happens very frequently in the NFL.  Likewise, a team loses 1 or 2 key players and they go from top of their division to bottom feeders.  Many teams seem to have problems finding those key pieces and coaching them up.  Others always seem to be able to reload.  while the middle majority ebb and flow yearly.  No matter what, players say it's always a tough win.  But we all know some wins are tougher to come by than others.

Needless to ay, the real tough games to win are those upcoming.  Forget divisions, it's a new season. 

We also played the three best teams in the AFC plus a hot Philly team and a very good Dallas team. That's every top team other than Seattle. While we are not an elite team , we are more deserving than KC , Houston and SD. So what's the problem ?