Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to call up Whalen again...

NagelHausForge

Ok Ok Ok... settle down people!  Listen, I know this board is filled with Whalen haters but we need a posession receiver and Nicks and Wayne aren't it.  Wayne is playing through several injuries and Nicks... well... Nicks is Nicks.  Whalen is a guy that has great hands and is a good slot receiver that can pick up yards.  Also, as we saw with Cribbs today, Whalen's decision making is much better than his and he seems to be more resilient.  Maybe use Cribbs on KO and Whalen on Punts?

After the last couple games it seems the offense has hampered with crappy WR play and I think that is in part to Wayne and Nicks not getting their parts done.  I would rather see Whalen out there taking snaps from them on critical third downs. 

Ok, commence with the butthurt and let the criticism begin.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whalen gets separation every once in a while. I see no reason to bring him up at all.

Luck was off yesterday, also faced lots of pressure and the DBs were holding all day. Once the refs finally woke, things did too. Plus D. Allen's first game back, which is why he wasn't affective. There is no reason to bring Whalen up.

Whalen gets separation every once in a while. I see no reason to bring him up at all.

Luck was off yesterday, also faced lots of pressure and the DBs were holding all day. Once the refs finally woke, things did too. Plus D. Allen's first game back, which is why he wasn't affective. There is no reason to bring Whalen up.

So when Reggie goes to IR you'd be okay with our WR group being

TY Hilton

Hakeem Nicks

Josh Cribbs

Donte Moncrief

FIFY.....Plus That group is better than last years playoff group. Whalen is not a difference maker.

We're talking about Wide Receiver group here.  It's great that we have 2 good TE's but we need more WR's.  

And what do you mean by "difference maker" . . . Is he explosive?  No he's not, but neither is Wayne even when healthy.

But can he make the catch and get you the first down when you need to keep a drive alive.  Yes he can.  

Right now Whalen is a reliable set of hands which is a heck of a lot more then what we have with Nicks or a injured and aged Reggie Wayne.  

We're talking about Wide Receiver group here. It's great that we have 2 good TE's but we need more WR's.

And what do you mean by "difference maker" . . . Is he explosive? No he's not, but neither is Wayne even when healthy.

But can he make the catch and get you the first down when you need to keep a drive alive. Yes he can.

Right now Whalen is a reliable set of hands which is a heck of a lot more then what we have with Nicks or a injured and aged Reggie Wayne.

Difference Maker meaning will you notice when he's out there or when he's not? If he's called up he won't see much time. There is a reason he keeps getting waived. I've never seen some many people clamor for a PS player. He's had his opportunities and outside of a couple of catches, has done nothing

Fleener is playing like a 3rd WR when needed but Fleener is better use vs the LB(coverage skills, height, speed, etc), i think Whalen would be a valuable #3 WR Nicks is slow and doesn't have great route running, and Reggie i think Luck targeted him like 8 times but he just got 1 catch and he had many many drops that killed the drive Whalen isn't a superstar but he is reliable and that's all we need because yesterday was like 11vs10 because Reggie couldn't catch the ball when needed.

We're talking about Wide Receiver group here.  It's great that we have 2 good TE's but we need more WR's.  

And what do you mean by "difference maker" . . . Is he explosive?  No he's not, but neither is Wayne even when healthy.

But can he make the catch and get you the first down when you need to keep a drive alive.  Yes he can.  

You don't when you have 2 good TE's and your OC will run 2 TE sets. Our "receiving" core as a whole is fine with what we have:

-Allen

-Fleener

-Hilton

-Moncrief

-Nicks

That's more than enough to get it done. Plus Doyle and Cribbs can catch an occasional pass. Not to mention Herron coming out of the backfield for short passes.

Difference Maker meaning will you notice when he's out there or when he's not? If he's called up he won't see much time. There is a reason he keeps getting waived. I've never seen some many people clamor for a PS player. He's had his opportunities and outside of a couple of catches, has done nothing

Like Nicks but Nicks has a name that's why he still is on the team, Whalen isn't a difference maker but he can catch the ball he has good hands and good timing with Luck, i mean Nick so far has showed nothing but poor effort, right now T.Y. is getting double coverage every snap but Nicks can't do anything of that, Whalen would provide a safety target to Luck after he lose Bradshaw that's all, this isn't about Whalen begin a superstar this is about a guy who can catch the ball things that Nicks can't do, i get your point but i think you think that we overvalue Whalen but it's because Nicks and last games Wayne has done anything so 0<0.1.

I notice anyone who makes big first down catches. . . And Whalen made several in 2013.  2 TD's as well.  Or have you forgotten already?

Are you aware that Whalen had more receiving yards in 9 games last year then Nicks has had in 13 games this year??

You don't when you have 2 good TE's and your OC will run 2 TE sets. Our "receiving" core as a whole is fine with what we have:

-Allen

-Fleener

-Hilton

-Moncrief

-Nicks

That's more than enough to get it done. Plus Doyle and Cribbs can catch an occasional pass. Not to mention Herron coming out of the backfield for short passes.

yeah Nicks is really tearing it up out there.  

Do you realize that Whalen played in 9 games last year and had more receiving yards then Nicks has had in 13 games this year??

Sounds like the new Blair white. There is a reason no one has picked Whalen up people. I would rather give Brazil another go. This suspension would be up by now.

Manning made Blair White look like Wes Welker before #18 got hurt.... No reason Luck couldn't do the same with Whalen. 

if Reggie goes to IR, Whalen wouldn't need to be a huge threat, just a half decent route runner as a #3 option behind TY and Moncrief to make some possession catches. He isnt going to get any double teams and he can get lost in coverage a lot. He wont rack up 100's of yards, but he will make those 3-7 yard catches when you NEED them.

yeah Nicks is really tearing it up out there.  

Do you realize that Whalen played in 9 games last year and had more receiving yards then Nicks has had in 13 games this year??

I never said Nicks was playing well, but that he's is an option at WR. We have some depth at least. But sure, if it came down to it, I'd take Whalen over Nicks.

Wasn't Cribbs working out with the WR team a couple of weeks ago?  I wonder how that is progressing?

Looking at his receiving stats there isn't much there.

1 year with 518 yards receiving, 1 year with 292 yards receiving, 1 year with 135 yards receiving, and a whole lot of years with less then 100 yards receiving.  

Granted quarterbacking might play a role here, but all in all I would rather play Whalen from scrimmage.  

Absolutely call Whalen up. He'll be announced Wednesday as roster fill. Would be a good fit as #3 WR. Catches 97% of targets. Gets open in the slot. Very good decision maker on KR and PR. Gets a few positive yards on specials almost every time or makes wise fair-catches. Much better than the awful play we saw yesterday. With our offense (and, yeah, noticing we've had awful starts and huge mistakes) we don't need the risk associated with special teams returns. Just a matter of time before Cribbs fumbles a ball deep and we lose a game due to it.

They would b stupid to not bring Griff up. If Reggie can't be reggie,which he clearly is not....u have to have a possession receiver that catches everything. That would b Griff. U can't just sit back and let reggie play,hope moncrief a rookie keeps playing well (not a possession wr),and rely on t.y. to do it all. The good teams will kill us like they already do with things the way they are now. And reggie isn't really getting much separation this year either.

Absolutely call Whalen up. He'll be announced Wednesday as roster fill. Would be a good fit as #3 WR. Catches 97% of targets. Gets open in the slot. Very good decision maker on KR and PR. Gets a few positive yards on specials almost every time or makes wise fair-catches. Much better than the awful play we saw yesterday. With our offense (and, yeah, noticing we've had awful starts and huge mistakes) we don't need the risk associated with special teams returns. Just a matter of time before Cribbs fumbles a ball deep and we lose a game due to it.

You obviously didn't see the last game Whalen played for us.  Horrible decisions regarding KR's.  If he's brought back up it is

because he's replacing a WR or because Cribbs got hurt.

Again, I'd say let the doctors figure out the Reggie thing. However, as Luck and Nicks have zero chemoistry and have not had any all season I'd be fine with admitting he's not working and bringing up a guy like Whalen you know Luck has chrmoistry with. Cribbs is also an option to get some reps at WR.

Wow Whalen has turned into last years Rogers. Everyone was calling for him because he was the next greatest thing. Reggie will play Sunday even if it is for 1 series. He will own the most games played by a Colt.  But I do think Whalen may be activated, but not sure how much playing time he will get.

I think you don't get this right Whalen isn't a gamechanger but a reliable option at WR , we claim Whalen because Nicks has been bad and Reggie has been playing injured, Rogers had a high ceiling but he didn't understand who be a pro.

Whalen is a good option(not a superstar nobody is saying that) at WR because right now T.Y. and Moncrief are the only true options at WR, we have a good group of TE but that's another history.

I think you don't get this right Whalen isn't a gamechanger but a reliable option at WR , we claim Whalen because Nicks has been bad and Reggie has been playing injured, Rogers had a high ceiling but he didn't understand who be a pro.

Whalen is a good option(not a superstar nobody is saying that) at WR because right now T.Y. and Moncrief are the only true options at WR, we have a good group of TE but that's another history.

Yeah I get it. I had it before this post from you. It's just funny Reggie is still playing and everyone wants to throw him in the dumpster. Haden covered Reggie yesterday and if the best corner on their team is covering Reggie, Ty is open. Do you think the Browns would put Haden on Whalen? lol Do you understand why Reggie is playing now. He has been hurt since the Cincy game. Did you see the play? He is a good decoy for Ty and Moncrief. Look for him to play all year.

Every once in awhile? You obviously pay no attention to him at all when he plays. Same people said that last year and I went back through all his snaps and broke them all down. He gets plenty of separation (2-3 yards atleast). The problem is luck staring down his 1st option and not throwing to him. That and his terrible habit of throwing high or behind his receivers.