Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts bring up Tipton, Waive Whalen

Bravo

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think we should activate lenz at some time and see how he does.

Even if we did he probably wouldn't see the field much.  We are too deep at WR as far as the starting 4, then there is also Cribbs. If he would be taking Whalens' place it's a sound assumption to conclude he wouldn't play much.

good hands and found a way to get open, great on third down. mistake by grigs an elite team will grab him.

Should an elite team grab him, he'll ride the bench for them, just like he would have for us. And I doubt anyone grabs him, anyways. Whalen spent all of last season on and off of the waiver wire, and no one made any attempts at him. All he's done since then is prove how bad he is at returning kicks and punts.

No matter the outcome with Whalen, waiving him will never -- NEVER -- qualify as a mistake. It's nothing more than an issue of roster mechanics.

Also, the new practice squad rules allow for two players with less than two accrued seasons. He has fewer than 32 games, so it's possible that Whalen is still eligible. I'm not sure about that, though.

Should an elite team grab him, he'll ride the bench for them, just like he would have for us. And I doubt anyone grabs him, anyways. Whalen spent all of last season on and off of the waiver wire, and no one made any attempts at him. All he's done since then is prove how bad he is at returning kicks and punts.

No matter the outcome with Whalen, waiving him will never -- NEVER -- qualify as a mistake. It's nothing more than an issue of roster mechanics.

Also, the new practice squad rules allow for two players with less than two accrued seasons. He has fewer than 32 games, so it's possible that Whalen is still eligible. I'm not sure about that, though.

All true of course but I disagree that he was bad at returning kicks, I mean everyone knows he is not now nor likely will ever be a dynamic Returner of either sort but of the 25 Kicks Returners that have returned 10 or more picks he ranks 9th in Kick Return average yards. If the point of the kickoff was moved back to its original spot he would regularly put us around the 25-30 yard line given his average and the 5 yard change

He has been bad in Punt Returns though...With that said our blockers in both Return units act like they are afraid to hit somebody and be physical, Hoping Cribbs can light a spark but I don't really think he will be a solution despite what he has done in his career. To be honest the entire team save for a couple spotty plays here and there seems to lack that physical nasty streak, Redding is our most physical on the D Line, Harrison to me at one point was the most physical on the O Line just pancaking several D Linemen. Landry is supposed to be the most physical in the secondary but he is to busy trying to look like Tarzan and plays like Jane

Yep I know I got in a little rant and off topic there ;)

You're overstating Griff's potential impact on field position. 25 yard/return average isn't huge. Don't yards count from where you catch it in the end zone? Typically you're 5-7 yards deep on a returnable kick. When he ran it out, typically at the 20-25. Basically same as taking a knee. There's a large enough sample size to say he wasn't having an impact on swinging field position.

As far as the blocking, I've seen a number of times when there was a nice seam for a return. Whalen lacked the speed and/or vision to take advantage.

I'm intrigued about what impact Cribbs can make. It could be a whatever move, or be a nice spark. Either way, it's not going to be worse than Whalen.

You're overstating Griff's potential impact on field position. 25 yard/return average isn't huge. Don't yards count from where you catch it in the end zone? Typically you're 5-7 yards deep on a returnable kick. When he ran it out, typically at the 20-25. Basically same as taking a knee. There's a large enough sample size to say he wasn't having an impact on swinging field position.

As far as the blocking, I've seen a number of times when there was a nice seam for a return. Whalen lacked the speed and/or vision to take advantage.

I'm intrigued about what impact Cribbs can make. It could be a whatever move, or be a nice spark. Either way, it's not going to be worse than Whalen.

To be honest Im not sure how the official stat record keepers look at where they catch it in the end zone....If they do your right :dunno: .......As much as its called the way it is during games like that I think they do look at it like that

Whalon is absolutley terriblle. Hate to say it like that because i thought, as a rec'r, he had a lot of promise, but when i first saw him on special team returning kicks, I thought the Colts were hallucinating. Really bad. Coudn't believe it.  But he did ok, ........ to start with., then the wheels came off.  Big mistake.  I think we should get that returner from OSU that shocked Indiana with the return today (saturday).  He looked really good.  He would be really cheap.  We wouldn't even have to get him an alarm clock on his 5th anniversity. Indiana Univsrisity Football is at an all time low, ugh!  Nasty.  Kevin Wilson is an abomination as a college coach. Cocky, too self confident, really hard to get along with from all of his coaches.  And the worst, he acts a fool on the field.  You can just tell that he doesn't care about anyone but him (his opinion is hoyle).  and that will get him fired.  Forget the wins and many, many, many, losses.  God I hate him.

Whalen has the speed of a turtle. They put him back there to give him a chance to stay on the roster,

but we all know it's about production.  They'll only be satisfied with you for so long if you can only field

the punts and kickoffs and not much else. Especially when you have the limitations of Whalen and then 

you turn around and start fumbling the ball and some bad returns.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/31/6089749/nfl-practice-squad-eligibility-salary-rules-size-and-more   (Note, not another forum, SBNation blog for Cincy)

According to this, players can only be on the active list for 9 games before being ineligible for the practice squad....Whalen has been active for 9 games this season. 

I think it is all time games for some reason - Whalen was active a few games last year which, I think, makes him ineligible for Psquad.

I think it is all time games for some reason - Whalen was active a few games last year which, I think, makes him ineligible for Psquad.

Oh yeah I know, I was just making the point that he killed eligibility just this year alone. Although there is apparently some new rule about a team being able to have 2 players with up to 2 accrued seasons on the PS at a time. Not sure if he fits under that or not. 

Wow, this sucks. Now we lose Whalen. This year, we started with Brazill, Rogers, and Whalen, now we have none. Oh yeah, and Nicks sucks and we probably will lose Wayne after this year. Way to go Management, who's next? couldn't get rid of someone else that's not needed to fill a huge, gaping hole next year?

Isn't it now funny to think that we were having discussions during camp about who deserved to stay out of Whalen, Rodgers, and Brazill, and now all 3 of them are gone? But watch Whalen get picked up by the Pats and score on us in our next meeting lol. Really suprised they didn't waive Colt Anderson instead. He really offered nothing to the team.

Your opinion he was fine!

He was not. He failed to take advantage of good blocking time after time and was not very safe/smart with the ball.

There's a reason Grigson was looking for a replacement for weeks. And just look how much better Cribbs was in one game, one should have been PR TD and a very good kick return. Grigson should have made the move months ago.

He was not. He failed to take advantage of good blocking time after time and was not very safe/smart with the ball.

There's a reason Grigson was looking for a replacement for weeks. And just look how much better Cribbs was in one game, one should have been PR TD and a very good kick return. Grigson should have made the move months ago.

he was fine, they wanted someone with explosion that all!  Cribbs is a former All pro with lots to prove and and a chip on his shoulder! Not shocking he played well at all!

he was fine, they wanted someone with explosion that all!  Cribbs is a former All pro with lots to prove and and a chip on his shoulder! Not shocking he played well at all!

If you think Griff was fine then you weren't paying attention. He left a ton of yards on the field. There's more to returns than just catching the ball (which he even screwed up a few times).

You continuing to tell me he was fine does not change the fact that he wasn't, not by a long shot.

he was fine, they wanted someone with explosion that all! Cribbs is a former All pro with lots to prove and and a chip on his shoulder! Not shocking he played well at all!

So basically they wanted someone better, who also wants it more lol?

Reggie is running on fumes and Nicks is done.    Today we witnessed the future.  

No way they bring Nicks back.   Reggie probably.     Bring in another burner.  This O is SO dynamic when TY, Fleener, and DM are all on the field together...   add Allen and WOW.....   Even Herron out of the backfield, these guys can take it to the house.

Wayne and Nicks don't scare anyone.

I could see Nicks on another one year deal, but I think he would want a better chance to start. Moncrief will probably start eating his snaps as this season finishes.