Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bruschi: ‘Gronkowski is the best tight end I’ve ever seen’

MJD42

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2014/11/17/tedy-bruschi-on-dh-rob-gronkowski-is-the-best-tight-end-ive-ever-seen/

Tedy's thoughts on the game, Gronk, and Andrew Luck's development.

“The Colts attempted to be tough. They attempted to come back and punch back, but the Patriots took out their heart and they left it by a TV camera,” Bruschi said, referencing Rob Gronkowski bulldozing Indianapolis safety Sergio Brown on a Jonas Gray rushing touchdown. “I picked the Colts to win, but was I high-fiving my kids when Gronk threw that kid on the TV camera? Absolutely. It was awesome to see, and just to see the toughness of [Julian] Edelman and the toughness of Gronkowski and just this team to respond the way it did was a great sign for this team.

“I don’t think anyone on the team had a problem with that [penalty],” added Bruschi. “It just took me back when I saw Gronk throw that kid into that TV camera. That made me fired up and that old Patriot in me came out.”

On Andrew Luck: “I overestimated what Andrew Luck was becoming as a quarterback. … I think I overestimated his development. Last night, he still made some of the same mistakes he made last year, a couple years ago. … He’s still not ready.”

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is wrong about Luck. While he was not great, he did not make the "same mistakes." He had the one pick which was a great play by Revis to tip it to McCourtney. He also did not have the ball much 34 to 24 min. given how well the Patriots ran the ball. Not to mention he had zero rush game himself. Not sure what Tedy was expecting to see under those circumstances.

I love love love love Gronk.

How can you not like that guy. Great player and a good human.

He is the most important player in the Patriots roster.

Hilarious, I think we have a full blown bromance going on here. I'd still go with Gonzalez as the best ever tight end... and Gronkowski's downfall could be his own actions because the guy is reckless. 

Tony Gonzalez was the best that I've ever seen but Frank Wycheck was the 1st TE I really paid attention to when I first started watching football so I have a soft spot for him even though he is nowhere near the best

Yeah I saw Frank play. Was he a Titan? Anyway he was good.

He is wrong about Luck. While he was not great, he did not make the "same mistakes." He had the one pick which was a great play by Revis to tip it to McCourtney. He also did not have the ball much 34 to 24 min. given how well the Patriots ran the ball. Not to mention he had zero rush game himself. Not sure what Tedy was expecting to see under those circumstances.

On top of that Luck had a higher passer rating then Tom Brady that game.  

The big difference was Tom Brady had a RB that rushed for nearly 200 yards on the Colts and Andrew Luck's RB's couldn't do anything.  

Honestly despite some really good games this season our defense still seems to get pushed around by the better teams in the NFL.  

On top of that Luck had a higher passer rating then Tom Brady that game.  

The big difference was Tom Brady had a RB that rushed for nearly 200 yards on the Colts and Andrew Luck's RB's couldn't do anything.  

Honestly despite some really good games this season our defense still seems to get pushed around by the better teams in the NFL.  

I think Luck will have a tough time shedding this moniker that he makes poor decisions. I know that writer from Indy had that story before the game about how the coaching staff is working with him on his decisions but every time he makes a mistake that other QBs make, he will be more scrutinized for it. I did feel like in the game he was more hesitant then I have normally seem him. Part of that could have been NEs coverages but he seemed gun shy to me. I just hope the coaching staff does not end up muting him in an effort to refine his game. His play is high risk kind of like Favre and Big Ben. I think in part you have to take the good with the bad as the good far outweighs the bad with him. JMO.

Just about evety NFL Network, ex-jock pat gasbag is anti-colt, but Gronk is agamecahnger for sure.

He picked the Colts to win. The fact is that the colts got their behinds thrashed, then the Patriots proceeded to immolate them.

The Colts lost the same way they did last January. The way they lost doesnt invoke confidence that anything will change this year in January. But it solidified the Pats as the kings of the AFC.

Bruschi was right on just about every word with the exception of Luck, Furthermore I think our own O Line can learn from this quote on Bryan Stork and apply to how they block:

“I think you’ve got to look at [center Bryan] Stork and how he’s been able to look more comfortable in there. I’m not saying he’s a road grader in there, because he’s not. Maybe he progresses to that. He still gets blown off the ball a touch, but he’s able to stay in position almost like he’s learning to almost attempt to take the defender where he wants to go and trusting his running back to find his hole off of his block rather than continuing to try to blow somebody off the ball, which isn’t his strength right now."

Dave Casper, John Mackey and Mike Ditka are far better than Gronk.

In no universe ever.

Please explain how his offensive output is literally 10x those three you mentioned. Gronk is tied for 2nd all time in getting to 50 TDs fastest.

Casper had 52 TDs.

Mackey had 38 TDs.

Ditka had 43 career TDs.

Gronk already has 51.

Gronk has the record for most yards in a season for a TE.

Not even close.

No hyperbole here when I say that when Gronk is 100% (and that's, of course, the issue), I've never seen anyone play the game the way he does. Carrying guys into the end zone, plowing through would-be tacklers, making sick one-handed catches... he's fun to watch unless you hate him because he shut up a certain mouthy safety.  ;)

That pick was the "same" mistake. He forced it to Reggie. Revis was drapped over him like a sheet on a bed. You do not throw that pass, you just don't. Year 3 and he's still forcing passes

Having a great QB is a gift & a curse. Andrew always believes he can make a play even when there's nothing there to be made

This was my take. Luck seemed hesitant all night.  I don't know if he was passive given everyone was harping on his 7 picks vs NE the last two games or if it was NEs coverage. But when I watched the game, there were guys open and plays to be made and he didn't make them. While I don't think he made any bad mistakes even the pick was a nice play by Revis, he didn't make any special plays either that were needed for the Colts to contend in the game. I read that article from your sports guy over the weekend about the coaching staff trying to work on Luck's decision making but I wonder if they tone him down so to speak if some of his dynamic play making will also suffer. He has that gunslinger in him like Favre and Romo. You take the good with the bad because the good always outweighs the bad.

This was my take. Luck seemed hesitant all night.  I don't know if he was passive given everyone was harping on his 7 picks vs NE the last two games or if it was NEs coverage. But when I watched the game, there were guys open and plays to be made and he didn't make them. While I don't think he made any bad mistakes even the pick was a nice play by Revis, he didn't make any special plays either that were needed for the Colts to contend in the game. I read that article from your sports guy over the weekend about the coaching staff trying to work on Luck's decision making but I wonder if they tone him down so to speak if some of his dynamic play making will also suffer. He has that gunslinger in him like Favre and Romo. You take the good with the bad because the good always outweighs the bad.

yes, I thought he did look passive. I credit more the Pats defense and our lack of a rush game.

No way, HOF and greatest of all time. He defined the position. Gronk is good, but too many injuries so far.

Mike Ditka says hi . . . :highfive2:

If have watched football as long as you infer there are more than just one TE to "define" the position which has evolved over the years . . . and yes Ditka was on the scene two years before Mackey . . . and had to make due with the Bears and did not have Johnny U. throwing to him . . .