Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No love for V. Davis from the NFL fans

3nk1du

Not that great? Are you kidding me? he is graded as PFF's top corner this season.... and he shuts down receivers on a weekly basis.

Any player on a defense that let up 600+ yards then 2 weeks later lets up 500+ yards. Isnt great. No one on our defense is great. Good maybe.. great?.. they havent deserved that title

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, November 17, 2014 - Inappropriate
Hidden by SteelCityColt, November 17, 2014 - Inappropriate

Any player on a defense that let up 600+ yards then 2 weeks later lets up 500+ yards. Isnt great. No one on our defense is great. Good maybe.. great?.. they havent deserved that title

What one player let up 500-600 yards? That isn't even possible unless you are trying to defend someone while being in a wheel chair.

What? He is statistically a top 5 corner this season and has been playing lights out.

He isnt a play maker or impact player.. not someone qbs worry about.. once qbs notice a CB first then people(fans/nfl) notices.. whens the last time a qb or Wr or any player give any kinda love toward vontae?.. i didnt say he was good because he obviously he is.. im sayin hes not a great/elite. Im just answering the posters question to why no love for vontae.. and its because hes not a playmaker.. he not someone you turn on highlight reels of.. not someone you see weekly bases on nfl/espn channel makin plays.

He isnt a play maker or impact player.. not someone qbs worry about.. once qbs notice a CB first then people(fans/nfl) notices.. whens the last time a qb or Wr or any player give any kinda love toward vontae?.. i didnt say he was good because he obviously he is.. im sayin hes not a great/elite. Im just answering the posters question to why no love for vontae.. and its because hes not a playmaker.. he not someone you turn on highlight reels of.. not someone you see weekly bases on nfl/espn channel makin plays.

How does someone give up 500-600 yards unless your defending someone while in a wheel chair. He is playing very good this season, and was pretty decent last year. He's working his way up and I feel he is at the top right now. If you look at the statistics, he has been up there with Revis and way better than Talib. Of course, those 2 names everyone knows. More so they had a good year and are still getting hype.

When QB's actively avoid throwing to the person, you are covering. By plays, I assume you mean only interceptions, which only happen when...the QB throws your way...which they don't. Vontae has made some great hits this year. To be doing what he is doing with virtually no safety help, and virtually no pass rush is completely astounding.

When QB's actively avoid throwing to the person, you are covering. By plays, I assume you mean only interceptions, which only happen when...the QB throws your way...which they don't. Vontae has made some great hits this year. To be doing what he is doing with virtually no safety help, and virtually no pass rush is completely astounding.

Maybe you didnt understand my post.. at the end of the day he doesn't make big highlight reel plays. Therefore your typical nfl fan doesnt see alot of vontae which leads to him getting no love. All of people say we have no pass rush but we are 13th in the league in sacks.. were better than Arizona, san fran, cleveland, Pittsburgh, pats, Seattle, houston.. so were dont have that bad of a pass rush.. but you guys can hate on me all you want but i was simply saying vontae gets no love because he is not in the spotlight highlight type player

Maybe you didnt understand my post.. at the end of the day he doesn't make big highlight reel plays. Therefore your typical nfl fan doesnt see alot of vontae which leads to him getting no love. All of people say we have no pass rush but we are 13th in the league in sacks.. were better than Arizona, san fran, cleveland, Pittsburgh, pats, Seattle, houston.. so were dont have that bad of a pass rush.. but you guys can hate on me all you want but i was simply saying vontae gets no love because he is not in the spotlight highlight type player

13th in the league means so little when you consider our schedule. In our 4 combined losses against true playoff contenders we have 1 sack. 4 of our sacks came from the Jax game, 3 from Tennessee, and 5 from Houston. That's exactly half of our season sack total due to those teams being weak on the offensive front. Shoot, even when Philly was missing their 2 best d-lineman, we couldn't get a sack. 13th means nothing without perspective.

13th in the league means so little when you consider our schedule. In our 4 combined losses against true playoff contenders we have 1 sack. 4 of our sacks came from the Jax game, 3 from Tennessee, and 5 from Houston. That's exactly half of our season sack total due to those teams being weak on the offensive front. Shoot, even when Philly was missing their 2 best d-lineman, we couldn't get a sack. 13th means nothing without perspective.

Houston is only one game behind us.. at this point after last nights game they are serious playoff contenders.

Hes getting no love because he is on an awful defense.. plain and simple.. plus hes really not that great

He's a very good CB, could you imagine this defense without him??? 

You really don't want to go down that road.

That roads got a history. Thirty-five people have died goin' down it and some say you can still see their ghosts up there. I was on that very road and then a group of students were killed by a wolf-boy who escaped from the mental institution. You see, that road was once a burial ground to a tribe of vampire witchikah Indians who ate the flesh of children with no eyes... Yap, lot of history on that road.

creepy_zps44679181.jpg

He's humble is why. The only reason guys like Revis and Sherman get so much media attention, are because of their antics on and off the field. Revis with his hold out on the Jets and how the media kept spouting the "Revis Island" thing. With Sherman you have the commercials, trash talk, celebrations, fights, etc...

Vontae just shuts people down and keeps his mouth shut. Sadly, that's why he doesn't get recognition. That's not to say Sherm and prime Revis aren't good, but if they were quiet like Vontae, you probably wouldn't know their names either.

The OP doesn't realize the choreographed media presentation of the NFL product.

Only teams with open air stadiums in northern cities are allowed to have a tough defense. 

Tough, gritty, blah, blah....  Its the image that is sold to help compel the Neanderthals that live in that part of the country to over pay for beer and T shirts.

Baltimore, Pitt, NYG, NYJ (Ryan), Boston, now Seattle (rainy), sometimes Cleveland, Chicago, and Green Bay always are reported to have the toughest defense.  Not necessarily great...but tough. 

Like you have to be tough to sit outside at a football game when its 20 degrees....not just plain stupid. 

Some teams can break that dogma every few seasons, like SF lately, but the message is clear.  And with the dome, the Vikings and their fans will never be considered tough.

That image has been fostered for decades...as a sales pitch more than anything...and its been conditioned into the thought process of anybody that judges players, teams, or franchises.

The OP doesn't realize the choreographed media presentation of the NFL product.

Only teams with open air stadiums in northern cities are allowed to have a tough defense.

Tough, gritty, blah, blah.... Its the image that is sold to help compel the Neanderthals that live in that part of the country to over pay for beer and T shirts.

Baltimore, Pitt, NYG, NYJ (Ryan), Boston, now Seattle (rainy), sometimes Cleveland, Chicago, and Green Bay always are reported to have the toughest defense. Not necessarily great...but tough.

Like you have to be tough to sit outside at a football game when its 20 degrees....not just plain stupid.

Some teams can break that dogma every few seasons, like SF lately, but the message is clear. And with the dome, the Vikings and their fans will never be considered tough.

That image has been fostered for decades...as a sales pitch more than anything...and its been conditioned into the thought process of anybody that judges players, teams, or franchises.

Lol so true. I've always wanted the Colts to have an outdoor stadium, to me that's the ultimate way to play football..outside under the lights. Also as much as I love our jerseys I kinda wish they would switch them up finally. Bring in something that just looks mean. Our unis now scream finesse team.

Lol so true. I've always wanted the Colts to have an outdoor stadium, to me that's the ultimate way to play football..outside under the lights. Also as much as I love our jerseys I kinda wish they would switch them up finally. Bring in something that just looks mean. Our unis now scream finesse team.

I like football indoors.  You can have a power game in nice weather too, so the bad weather stuff just gets in the way of good football, IMO.

That frozen tundra tough-guy marketing scheme is getting old.

Solid dark blue unis...jerseys and pants.  White helmet with the two little horseshoes on the back, like the throwback helmets a few years ago.

He's humble is why. The only reason guys like Revis and Sherman get so much media attention, are because of their antics on and off the field. Revis with his hold out on the Jets and how the media kept spouting the "Revis Island" thing. With Sherman you have the commercials, trash talk, celebrations, fights, etc...

Vontae just shuts people down and keeps his mouth shut. Sadly, that's why he doesn't get recognition. That's not to say Sherm and prime Revis aren't good, but if they were quiet like Vontae, you probably wouldn't know their names either.

Couldn't agree more.  Top DBs always seem to shoot off their mouths.  Deon back in the day and almost any DB today.  I guess that position really needs someone with a brashness to them and that results in a lot of self promotion.

I like football indoors. You can have a power game in nice weather too, so the bad weather stuff just gets in the way of good football, IMO.

That frozen tundra tough-guy marketing scheme is getting old.

Solid dark blue unis...jerseys and pants. White helmet with the two little horseshoes on the back, like the throwback helmets a few years ago.

They need to switch them up like Seattle has done. We could get really creative with our color scheme. Ya bad weather might cause bad football for teams that are used to being pampered indoors. But for the Greenbays, Chicagos, and New Englands of the world they gladly welcome you to come to their territory in December. It is a real thing. Outdoor teams have more of a toughness feel about them.

Um how bout no first off he only played like ten snaps against Pitt if that many and wen out injured and as for last week I bet you can count on one hand how many completions he gave up. I guess boom stick was the reason the offense struggled because he is such an important part of the offense especially during first and second down.

Not unlike another Colt from the past maybe you guys have heard of him Marvin Harrison he just caught balls and walked back to the hustle like just another day at the office funny he wasnt recognized much until later in his career.

They need to switch them up like Seattle has done. We could get really creative with our color scheme. Ya bad weather might cause bad football for teams that are used to being pampered indoors. But for the Greenbays, Chicagos, and New Englands of the world they gladly welcome you to come to their territory in December. It is a real thing. Outdoor teams have more of a toughness feel about them.

Indy has had the same marketing bent from the media over the last decade...nice guy QB carries an otherwise mediocre team into the playoffs every year.

The schtick is that Indy has no players other than Luck, so VD won't get noticed.

And the team will always be a nice team..because they play in a dome and Indy is a nice city...a nice place to raise a family.   Even if their defense is ranked highly, it will be called a good defense, but never a tough defense.

Does the media call the Cardinals defense tough...or good?  But they call the Seahawks defense tough...40 degrees and rainy.

Hes getting no love because he is on an awful defense.. plain and simple.. plus hes really not that great

He's really not that great, you're joking Correct? He is undoubtedly a top 5 CB in this league. He Locks up any #1 receiver every game. Look what happened to us against the Steelers his presence was missed, had he still been on the field Ben doesnt have that great of a day.

The only receiver Vontae has had trouble covering is Andre Johnson. Which is fine, there is always someone that can best you. Otherwise he completely shuts down his man, and as far as I remember, hasn't allowed a touchdown this year. (This stat was from before the giants game I think though, could have changed).