Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our defense is absolutely horrible......

needanoline63

Just please quit saying unimformed things. It is insulting.  The Colts defense, which Grigson brought in almost every guy on it via free agency, was absolutely horrible.  Robert Mathis would have made little difference when a scrub runningback looks like Jim Brown tonight.  And they have absolute no adjustments, no answers, nothing.  It was like the playoff game last year all over again.

The Colts are going to win their division.  And they always have the ability to beat anyone with their offensive players. But you gotta wonder how good Manusky is. And this is not knee jerk. It is easy to look solid against bad teams.  But as soon as you put a decent offense in front of the Colts, their defense disappears.

The common denominator is the Patriots O-Line.  Who is Jonas Gray?  Who was LeGarrette Blount?  The Patriots develop offensive linemen, why can't the Colts?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It has all to do with strategy. The defense us talented but the strategy is just horrible!!!! I know many other DC's will find a way to find a talentless team into something!!!!

It is not strategy...it's guys getting dragged for several yards by a 5'10" 225 RB, it's guys copmletely whiffing tackles at the line of scrimmage, it's guys playing with legendarily terrible gap discipline.  When your entire secondary is leading the team in tackles, that goes way beyond scheme.

Look at the simplicity of the problem....

Kerr is an UDFA, Hughes is a 5th rounder, Redding is old, Chapman rotates out because he's one dimensional, Freeman came from the CFL, DQ is old and was never a thumper anyway, Sergio Brown is too skinny to be a starter. 

If you're going to ask a defense that starts players like that to defend the middle, expect teams to challenge you between the tackles.

Belichik knows that the strength of the defense is on the edge and corners....and its weakness is softness up the middle.

The Patriots barely even targeted Davis or Toler. 

Kept Gronk in to block and added an extra lineman........That's something out of PEP's BOOK, and they ran it perfectly all night.

If you ever needed a way to evaluate the Colts, the Patriots games are the ultimate measuring stick. They pretty much take our biggest flaws and put them on center stage. The game was over in the 1st quarter when Gray ran them down to that first TD drive. The Pat's pretty much said "We're going to do what we want to you, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it". And that's exactly what happened. They beat us how they wanted to beat us, not how we thought they would try and beat us.

Coaching was a big one in this loss. Manusky had absolutely no answer to them running. None. Can't have faith in him after that. Pep and Pagano didn't coach their best games either. The Pats probably think we're cute and don't even view us as a threat.

Until we can beat the elite teams won't be nothing happening for us in January. Superbowl will be out of reach. It seems like the Patriots are better coached than anyone, their play shows. They made Manusky look bad last night, and their o-line just simply dominated the whole game. The coaching minds running the Patriots are obviously superior to ours. We won't be building any monster as long as it is like this.

When you are asking your offense to be perfect in order to win, you are going to lose more often than not.

Once again, the pass rush was absent. Jerrell Freeman had a terrible game, he was an absolute non-factor. The good thing is that he should be easy to re-sign, if we want him back. If he wasn't getting blocked out of the Luke, he was missing a tackle. Laron Landry is an absolute waste of space. He was nowhere to be found. Werner couldn't get anything resembling pressure.

One player who impressed me at times was Jon Newsome. He seems to be the only guy who can get pressure. He will be interesting to watch next season after a full offseason.

No they were not. Unfortunately, the one who always makes stupid plays is Toler... and I have never seen a guy get caught pushing off/holding so much. It is like watching a little kid who can't stay out of the cookie jar. I do bet Gronkowski gets a fine for his purposefully slamming the guy into the camera man though. If he doesn't that would be a pretty silly, and for Collinsworth to say he is not harmless is equally so because the guy makes a fool out of himself constantly.

Toler was the problem alright. By my count 4 passes completed against him for around 45 yards and 8 tackles (4 on running backs). I don't understand why toler allowed freeman to constantly get pushed around and it was tolers fault freeman couldn't get off a block. It's totally tolers fault that the d line was manhandled and I don't know what Toler was doing when he kept tripping up Werner, walden, Kerr, Hughes, chapman when they were about to sack Brady.

I get it. Everyone loves freeman and hates Toler but Toler was one of 2-3 guys that actually game to play.

Its like this, Andrew Luck outplayed Tom Brady but he cant do it all by himself. Our running backs ran for a combined total of 4 yards on 14 carries while Andrew Luck ran for 15 yards on 3 carries he shouldnt have to be the running back and the quarterback, we have enough receivers we need quality offensive lineman and more run stoppers on defense I think our secondary is great we just need more pressure upfront, the patriots ran for a combined total of 248 yards which is absurd but if we could run the ball we couldve gave our defense more time to rest and put some points on the board from the ground AND the air smh...idc about playing Jacksonville next week I care about us keeping up with the elite teams of the NFL I understand we r a young team but our Quarterback Our leader Andrew Luck is playing lights out football he cant do it by himself though even Peyton had a run game when he was with us and our philosophy then wasnt run the ball and stop the run like it is now, I like Chuck and I think Grigs is great too its just for right noww he needs to focus on the O-Line hardcore and our D-Line we need another quality running back too that can find the holes and make the blocks and help Andrew...

there were 3 penalties in one play that shouldve been called on the Patriots defense. The refs are paid for. Even my brother who is a pats fan laughs at how the Patriots get away with so much that no other team does...

Wouldnt be surprised though, we see it in boxing all the time and endless times in the NBA. Its a business!!! The business men will not profit off of the Colts winning the super bowl but they will profit huge if the Pats, Packers, Cowboys or Broncos win...

The Patriots LEAD THE LEAGUE IN PENALTIES.

Sheesh.

I get it; many Colt fans want what their old GM wanted, flag football, where no offensive player can be breathed on.

But this is a man's game, son.

Toler was the problem alright. By my count 4 passes completed against him for around 45 yards and 8 tackles (4 on running backs). I don't understand why toler allowed freeman to constantly get pushed around and it was tolers fault freeman couldn't get off a block. It's totally tolers fault that the d line was manhandled and I don't know what Toler was doing when he kept tripping up Werner, walden, Kerr, Hughes, chapman when they were about to sack Brady.

I get it. Everyone loves freeman and hates Toler but Toler was one of 2-3 guys that actually game to play.

Toler is a agressive player and does get beat or caught with a lot of pi but he is no different from any other cb in the league and a good example was last night when the pats got away with plenty of pi and holding I believe toler gets targeted to much

What I loved watching yesterday evening game is the Colts defensive players looking at one another.  I am like you are paid to tackle.  You know the Patriots are going to run the ball.  Go stop them.  The Patriots could have handed the Colts defense their game plan, placed a blind person as running back, and would have still rushed for over 200 yards and three touchdowns. 

Our defense of old was a bend but not break defense that could actually make goal line stops.  This defense simply breaks, is absolutely the worst colts goal line defense I've ever seen, and it's pitiful that in 3 years they've let opponents score more than 40 points 8 times.  In Manning's whole colts career the defense only let up more than 40 points 9 times.  This defense is trash, but that's what happens when you cut the whole defense and pick up scrubs no team wants, and we were surely a better defense in 2012 than we are now.  Grigson can draft offensive playmakers, but he sucks at evaluating defensive talent.

I sure would like to get a look at Dewey Mcdonald at safety with Adams. Not sure what he'll look like in coverage(runs a 4.4 so I know he's fast), but the guy is a very solid tackler.  Might even improve our run defense perhaps. I really would like to see more.

What you do in the regular season and what you do in the playoffs are different animals.

We beat very good teams in the regular season last year -- WITH Robert Mathis. We don't have him this year.

And that's a big weapon to lose. We've overcome Mathis against poor and mid-level teams but not against top teams. Brady was untouched for most of the game.

And our interior D-line and ILB's were ghosts. Nonexistent. New England may have run for 200 yards against us tonight?

We got a long way to go.....

274 rushing yards.. 199 and 4the tds to a guy signed of the practice squad 2 weeks ago.. lol wait til demarrco Murray gets ahold of us.. oh no.....