Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Bloom is off of Seattle

amfootball

This is not the same Seattle team as last year. The Dline is not getting pressure and their WR core is very, very average. Every team is gunning for them with the target on their back and so far they have looked pretty average except vs GB in week one. They may end up finishing third behind the Cards and Niners.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehhh, I'm not giving up on them yet. If there's any team that can overcome the odds I think Seattle is it. The division games will be close, as usual, but I don't think Arizona is for real and the 49ers could be facing issues from their own lockerroom if things start getting tough. That loss at home for them though is shocking, but Dallas seems to be playing out of their minds lately. Excitement and talent trumps discipline and talent every once in awhile.

This is not the same Seattle team as last year. The Dline is not getting pressure and their WR core is very, very average. Every team is gunning for them with the target on their back and so far they have looked pretty average except vs GB in week one. They may end up finishing third behind the Cards and Niners.

Listen to a.m.!

There are not the same team been saying it for awhile the O is below average D is getting sliced up would not be surprised to see them pull a Ravens and miss the playoffs after winning a SB .

i honestly dont think that its the team. It seems like they are making bad playcalls. The way they try to use Percy Harvin as a runningback is a huge fail. He got sacked behind the line like 10 times. And their defense need to do more blitzes and pressure the QB but Tony Romo is so used to being pressured, it doesnt work. Hes learned how to manage pressure after having a horrid oline for years.

They lost two games to two pretty good teams. I'm not sure how that means they aren't good enough to put together another championship run.

It's still October, right?

Sure. They still could no doubt. But they just have not looked the same especially defensively and their offense seems like it can't do much unless Wilson orchestrates something magical with his arm or feet. We have a couple of good Seattle posters here like robinson so maybe I will wait to hear from him on what he thinks the issues are and if they are correctable. Tons of penalties too.

From WR Doug Baldwin:

"We have to quit nonsense-ing ourselves. We've got to be real with ourselves," Baldwin said. "When we get in the meeting room, we've got to actually pay attention to things and not blow smoke up our tails that everything's going to be all right. Things aren't going right. Pay attention to things that we're not doing right and correct them."

This sums up what the team has looked like this year. They look like they feel like they can just show up and win.

I said it before, take away Wilson's scrambling and their offense struggles to move the ball, even with Lynch back there. They aren't the team that storms back from multiple scores down, unless it comes from the defense snatching turnovers. Wilson is no Andrew Luck, he can't carry a team with his arm. 

HGH testing is becoming a reality. They're coming down off the juice.

Indeed....it will be very interesting to see what effects HGH testing has with player's size/strength/speed.

Assuming of course that some chemist hasn't already come up with a masking agent.

From WR Doug Baldwin:

"We have to quit nonsense-ing ourselves. We've got to be real with ourselves," Baldwin said. "When we get in the meeting room, we've got to actually pay attention to things and not blow smoke up our tails that everything's going to be all right. Things aren't going right. Pay attention to things that we're not doing right and correct them."

This sums up what the team has looked like this year. They look like they feel like they can just show up and win.

This is one reason why it is so hard to repeat.  The team starts believing the press hype and does not do as much to prepare.

This is one reason why it is so hard to repeat.  The team starts believing the press hype and does not do as much to prepare.

Yes. Especially for a team like Seattle that likes to run their mouths. Pete Carroll's approach does not work when things go bad. That is why Baldwin is the one saying it and not Pete. Players coaches never last long in this league.

Yes. Especially for a team like Seattle that likes to run their mouths. Pete Carroll's approach does not work when things go bad. That is why Baldwin is the one saying it and not Pete. Players coaches never last long in this league.

That is the reason why certain teams like the Colts and Patriots who don't take winning for granted have a winning tradition without indulging in running their mouths.

i honestly dont think that its the team. It seems like they are making bad playcalls. The way they try to use Percy Harvin as a runningback is a huge fail. He got sacked behind the line like 10 times. And their defense need to do more blitzes and pressure the QB but Tony Romo is so used to being pressured, it doesnt work. Hes learned how to manage pressure after having a horrid oline for years.

That goes against the basic premise of their defensive system to rush just four. Bringing extra will make the Legion of Boom (or whatever alternate name you choose) have more pressure to defend 1-on-1s and there will be plenty of gaps for completions.

That is why Kirk Cousins, once he figured out the Seahawks push up front was not that great while rushing four, started making plays but his D could not. However, the Cardinals do not sit back and take it and forced the issue with blitzes as always and Kirk Cousins is no Peyton Manning to make them pay and thus gifted the game to the Cardinals.

If they lose Maxwell for a few games, they could be in trouble briefly which will cost them the division, IMO.

Sure. They still could no doubt. But they just have not looked the same especially defensively and their offense seems like it can't do much unless Wilson orchestrates something magical with his arm or feet. We have a couple of good Seattle posters here like robinson so maybe I will wait to hear from him on what he thinks the issues are and if they are correctable. Tons of penalties too.

The Colts beat the Seahawks last year. They looked ordinary then, too. Just saying, if they win their division, which they should, then it only matters how you're playing in December and January. There isn't enough dirt on the planet for me to feel like that team is buried, not this early. They're too good.

Also, I wonder when Pete Carroll will stop being criticized for his manner of coaching. He's always had decent to very good teams, and now he has a national championship and a Super Bowl. At what point does he get credit for being one of the best football coaches in the country?

HGH testing is becoming a reality. They're coming down off the juice.

It seems very unlikely to me that Seattle is on any different juice than other teams who also have players that are incentivized by millions to be the best they could possibly be.  That is the beauty of the NFL....they are probably all cheating on a pretty level playing field.

The Colts beat the Seahawks last year. They looked ordinary then, too. Just saying, if they win their division, which they should, then it only matters how you're playing in December and January. There isn't enough dirt on the planet for me to feel like that team is buried, not this early. They're too good.

Also, I wonder when Pete Carroll will stop being criticized for his manner of coaching. He's always had decent to very good teams, and now he has a national championship and a Super Bowl. At what point does he get credit for being one of the best football coaches in the country?

Why are you going to such extremes? No one said Seattle was washed up or that Pete Carroll is not a good coach. I just don't see this team currently as being as formidable as last year. And it is not based on two losses but how they have looked every game aside from week one vs GB. Of course they can still dominate and maybe win their division but right now I would not bet against either the niners or cards taking it from them and if they don't get home field, it will be tough for them to win 3 straight on the road given they struggle on the road. It is very difficult to repeat as SB champs, no one has since the Pats and I see signs of a team that does not look nearly as hungry as last year except for Wilson who lets it all hang out every play of every game. Just an observation 6 games in. Everything could change a month from now but right now this team seems off from last year IMO.

Why are you going to such extremes? No one said Seattle was washed up or that Pete Carroll is not a good coach. I just don't see this team currently as being as formidable as last year. And it is not based on two losses but how they have looked every game aside from week one vs GB. Of course they can still dominate and maybe win their division but right now I would not bet against either the niners or cards taking it from them and if they don't get home field, it will be tough for them to win 3 straight on the road given they struggle on the road. It is very difficult to repeat as SB champs, no one has since the Pats and I see signs of a team that does not look nearly as hungry as last year except for Wilson who lets it all hang out every play of every game. Just an observation 6 games in. Everything could change a month from now but right now this team seems off from last year IMO.

Who said anyone said Seattle is washed up, or Pete Carroll isn't a good coach? I said I wonder when he'll stop being criticized for his coaching style. How is that extreme? Did you or did you not criticize him? The criticism that he's faced for the last 15 years is ironic, given the success he's experienced over that stretch.

The Seahawks maybe don't look as good as everyone was saying they were a month ago, but they're still a good team. And my point is that teams go through the doldrums, even good teams, even championship teams. Just like the Seahawks did last year. I don't think that means the bloom is off the rose, nor do I think it means that Pete Carroll has lost his team. 

This, combined with the fact that everyone is gunning for you and you're pretty much always getting your opponent's "best game." 

I was impressed by Dallas yesterday, especially playing in Seattle. The key (IMO) to them defending will be getting home field. They're still a good team wherever they play but they can be very average on the road. 

I don't even understand why they do it. What is the benefit to either side?

If you're talking about why they started HGH testing, the owners have wanted it for years only to be blocked by the players union. The union finally relented and agreed to it in exchange for a much more lenient marijuana policy.

Who said anyone said Seattle is washed up, or Pete Carroll isn't a good coach? I said I wonder when he'll stop being criticized for his coaching style. How is that extreme? Did you or did you not criticize him? The criticism that he's faced for the last 15 years is ironic, given the success he's experienced over that stretch.

The Seahawks maybe don't look as good as everyone was saying they were a month ago, but they're still a good team. And my point is that teams go through the doldrums, even good teams, even championship teams. Just like the Seahawks did last year. I don't think that means the bloom is off the rose, nor do I think it means that Pete Carroll has lost his team. 

So good coaches are above reproach? And his NCAA record is severely tarnished in my view but for sure he has done a nice job in his second go around as an NFL coach. He was horrible in NE in the late 90's but learned from that experience when he went to Seattle. He deserves a ton of credit for last year and what he accomplished but I was talking about this year and the look of the team. Like I said, I am basing in on the first six games. Maybe they snap out of it and dominate again but they are in a brutal division and they just don't see hungry to me. Dallas was the more physical team yesterday and that honestly surprised me especially given the game was in Seattle.

If you're talking about why they started HGH testing, the owners have wanted it for years only to be blocked by the players union. The union finally relented and agreed to it in exchange for a much more lenient marijuana policy.

I think the owners are making a big mistake. There are going to be a lor of positive tests. The NBA doesn't even test for marijuana. I can't figure out why the NFL would either

I said it before, take away Wilson's scrambling and their offense struggles to move the ball, even with Lynch back there. They aren't the team that storms back from multiple scores down, unless it comes from the defense snatching turnovers. Wilson is no Andrew Luck, he can't carry a team with his arm. 

Quoted for the truth also there gimic plays have been figured out so there not catching anyone by surprise anymore .

So good coaches are above reproach? And his NCAA record is severely tarnished in my view but for sure he has done a nice job in his second go around as an NFL coach. He was horrible in NE in the late 90's but learned from that experience when he went to Seattle. He deserves a ton of credit for last year and what he accomplished but I was talking about this year and the look of the team. Like I said, I am basing in on the first six games. Maybe they snap out of it and dominate again but they are in a brutal division and they just don't see hungry to me. Dallas was the more physical team yesterday and that honestly surprised me especially given the game was in Seattle.

I think if Seattle continues to struggle Carroll will have a tough time on his hands. He has a lot of explosive personalities so we will see how he handles keeping everyone united. Their games against the niners and cards will tell us a lot about what type of team they are this year.

I think the owners are making a big mistake. There are going to be a lor of positive tests. The NBA doesn't even test for marijuana. I can't figure out why the NFL would either

The NFL has a lot of antiquities to it's PR based rules that were meant to give the league a squeaky clean image, many of which have rapidly become outdated in the last 5-10 years. The stigmas around marijuana use are really only now being torn down completely, which is why we are finally seeing the slow process of it becoming legalized finally come to pass. The NFL making getting caught with marijuana in your system a slap on the wrist the first few times is a step in them acknowledging that maybe recreational use isn't the great evil they made it out to be.

Of course they only did that in exchange for HGH testing, but that's a whole other can of worms. I personally think the tests will be a lot lower than people expect, but there will still be a few shockers in there.

Above reproach? You didn't just point out something that he struggles with; you basically said that his style of coaching doesn't work in the NFL and it won't be long before he loses his team. "Players coaches never last long in this league," to be exact. No coach is perfect, but some people talk as if Pete Carroll is a sorry bum who can't win anything in major sports, and he's won both in college and the pros.

I don't think he was horrible in New England. He was three games over .500 in three seasons, and won a playoff game. And he left 15 years ago. I see the praise that coaches like Lovie Smith and Jeff Fisher get, and I wouldn't call either of them horrible, but I think Pete Carroll is better than both of them, for sure.

Also, you can have any opinion you want about his record at USC, but the results are very clear. 

Again, I'm not going to any extreme. I just think the criticism that he faces is ironic, given the success that he's had. People said he'd never work in the pros, and here he is, with a Super Bowl, and one of the best teams in the league. And people are still saying it's just a matter of time before he fails. It's weird to me. Almost as weird as the Jeff Fisher / Lovie Smith love.

Above reproach? You didn't just point out something that he struggles with; you basically said that his style of coaching doesn't work in the NFL and it won't be long before he loses his team. "Players coaches never last long in this league," to be exact. No coach is perfect, but some people talk as if Pete Carroll is a sorry bum who can't win anything in major sports, and he's won both in college and the pros.

I don't think he was horrible in New England. He was three games over .500 in three seasons, and won a playoff game. And he left 15 years ago. I see the praise that coaches like Lovie Smith and Jeff Fisher get, and I wouldn't call either of them horrible, but I think Pete Carroll is better than both of them, for sure.

Also, you can have any opinion you want about his record at USC, but the results are very clear. 

Again, I'm not going to any extreme. I just think the criticism that he faces is ironic, given the success that he's had. People said he'd never work in the pros, and here he is, with a Super Bowl, and one of the best teams in the league. And people are still saying it's just a matter of time before he fails. It's weird to me. Almost as weird as the Jeff Fisher / Lovie Smith love.

We can agree to disagree on his time in NE. The team was an absolute mess when Bill took over in 2000. Check out Michael Holly's book Patriot Reign some time and you will get a bird's eye view of just how awful Carroll's time was in NE. And we can also disagree on USC as well. Many of his wins were wiped from the record books.

Personally, I am not a fan of players coaches but for sure they can have success. I just wonder how long before it implodes. Mike Tomlin and Rex Ryan are good examples. Early success and then tough times the last few years. 

And BTW, I am not blaming Carroll necessarily for the way the team looks so far. It is very hard to motivate a team that is coming off a SB win. Complacency naturally settles in which is why it is so tough to repeat along with the first place schedule and the big target on your back - you get everyone's A game.

The impetus for this thread was yesterday's game because I saw Seattle get out played physically at home by the Cowboys who have not exactly been known for their brawn over recent seasons. Perhaps the game says more about Dallas than Seattle but they do seem off this year probably for many reasons. Their divisional games vs the niners and cards will tell us a lot about how far they will go this season.