Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moncrief vs. Nicks

Jhaze55

Nicks isn't exactly the receiver I thought Indy would be getting when they signed him. He doesn't seem to be open to get many targets, and hasn't looked that great, aside from his redone presence. (12 receptions on 18 targets)

Moncrief looks pretty promising on the other hand. He seems to be open when he's on the field, and catches what targets he gets. (8 catches on 9 targets)

Now, I know this is a small sample size, and it may be a bit early, but when do you start giving some of Nicks' playing time to Moncrief? I'm starting to doubt there would be much drop off in play, if any.

Or maybe I'm just being a bit premature here 

I think you are premature.  Nicks has been open, but either the throw is a bit off, there's no throw at all, or there is a PI that prevents the catch. Although I do agree Moncrief needs to be worked into the game plan a bit more as far as the chunk plays are concerned.  I have confidence Pep will get there though.

Both Nicks and Moncrief each did something very good today that won't show up in the stats.

On Luck's last pass of the game,  he threw up the field to Nicks along the far sideline, and it looked like Nicks deliberately punched it away so it couldn't be intercepted.    At least,  that was my read of it.

And Moncrief?    On the Bradshaw receiving TD he threw a fabulous downfield block that not only took the defender back I'd guess 5-8 yards, but also took him right out of bounds.    The corner got completely bulldozed.

Moncrief was greeted back on the sidelines by very happy coaches and teammates, each with a big pat on the back.

Tomorrow, when they review the film,  his block will get replayed several times so everyone sees how great it was and how unselfish and team oriented he was being.     Mad props to Donte!    :thmup:

Nicks isn't exactly the receiver I thought Indy would be getting when they signed him. He doesn't seem to be open to get many targets, and hasn't looked that great, aside from his redone presence. (12 receptions on 18 targets)

Moncrief looks pretty promising on the other hand. He seems to be open when he's on the field, and catches what targets he gets. (8 catches on 9 targets)

Now, I know this is a small sample size, and it may be a bit early, but when do you start giving some of Nicks' playing time to Moncrief? I'm starting to doubt there would be much drop off in play, if any.

Its VERY early..somebody will get hurt and we'll need them both

Wow. We put up 40 points in two consecutive weeks and yet there's still something you complain about?

Nicks has done great so far this year. He's also a #3 receiver on the team behind Wayne and Hilton. He's got two touchdowns on the year in the current #1 scoring offense in the NFL after spending last year scoreless. What is there to complain about? 

"He's not getting 100 yards! Waaaah" Great, Luck threw 393 yards to NINE different receivers. It's going to be hard to get 100 yards or be "the superstar" when you have so many weapons. 

"He's not getting open!" That's fine, Teams are putting over the top help on Nicks and Hilton, and letting Reggie run free in the middle. Fine by me.

Seriously quit with this junk. Colts are now at .500, and are rolling teams. Be happy, instead of coming on here with the "Fire Pep, Cut Toler, Cut Landry Cut Nicks, Fire Pagano, Grigson Sucks" junk.

Too early.   It seems like Nicks and Luck aren't on the same page yet but he's done pretty well despite that.  I expect his production to increase as he and Luck develop a rhythm  and for Nicks to be a key contributor down the stretch and into the playoffs if he remains healthy.

Wow. We put up 40 points in two consecutive weeks and yet there's still something you complain about?

Nicks has done great so far this year. He's also a #3 receiver on the team behind Wayne and Hilton. He's got two touchdowns on the year in the current #1 scoring offense in the NFL after spending last year scoreless. What is there to complain about? 

"He's not getting 100 yards! Waaaah" Great, Luck threw 393 yards to NINE different receivers. It's going to be hard to get 100 yards or be "the superstar" when you have so many weapons. 

"He's not getting open!" That's fine, Teams are putting over the top help on Nicks and Hilton, and letting Reggie run free in the middle. Fine by me.

Seriously quit with this junk. Colts are now at .500, and are rolling teams. Be happy, instead of coming on here with the "Fire Pep, Cut Toler, Cut Landry Cut Nicks, Fire Pagano, Grigson Sucks" junk.

Not saying anything negative about him or the team. Just suggesting giving some of the snaps Nicks gets to Moncrief. No complaints here haha

Why the need to be so vitriolic? 

Not saying anything negative about him or the team. Just suggesting giving some of the snaps Nicks gets to Moncrief. No complaints here haha

Why the need to be so vitriolic? 

I agree this board is becoming very bad, like the Indystar board did about 8 years ago (which is why I quit posting over there).  There are very few actual discussions anymore.

We have the people who think the Colts and everyone in the organization can do no wrong and they personally attack anyone that suggests improvements could be made.  And then we have the people that think the Colts and everyone in the organization can do no right, they don't seem to personally attack as much but they hi-jack just about every positive thread with some stupid comment that may or may not be based on reality.  And then there is a group of people (getting smaller and smaller) that try to talk football... the good and the bad.

Now to get back to the discussion.  I would not mind seeing Moncrief get some more of the snaps and if those snaps come at the expense of Nicks then I don't see a downside.  I think Moncrief has done well with his limited playing time and I think the fact that he has been targeted 9 times with as few snaps as he's been on the field is telling about and the fact that he has as many yards as Nicks (in half the targets and 66% of the catches) is also telling of Moncrief's ability.  I didn't know much about Moncrief before the draft, other than what I read about him but he is impressive, great leaping ability, a smooth runner and route runner, is a long strider so he's running faster than it looks and he has a second gear as well. 

I hope to see more of him.

I agree this board is becoming very bad, like the Indystar board did about 8 years ago (which is why I quit posting over there).  There are very few actual discussions anymore.

We have the people who think the Colts and everyone in the organization can do no wrong and they personally attack anyone that suggests improvements could be made.  And then we have the people that think the Colts and everyone in the organization can do no right, they don't seem to personally attack as much but they hi-jack just about every positive thread with some stupid comment that may or may not be based on reality.  And then there is a group of people (getting smaller and smaller) that try to talk football... the good and the bad.

Now to get back to the discussion.  I would not mind seeing Moncrief get some more of the snaps and if those snaps come at the expense of Nicks then I don't see a downside.  I think Moncrief has done well with his limited playing time and I think the fact that he has been targeted 9 times with as few snaps as he's been on the field is telling about and the fact that he has as many yards as Nicks (in half the targets and 66% of the catches) is also telling of Moncrief's ability.  I didn't know much about Moncrief before the draft, other than what I read about him but he is impressive, great leaping ability, a smooth runner and route runner, is a long strider so he's running faster than it looks and he has a second gear as well. 

I think you just articulated it much better than I did. Thanks

Holy overreactions, Batman. 

Not coincidentally, I've been at war all day against this sort of overreaction posting that takes a conversation into a fight. This kind of garbage needs to stop. 

I agree this board is becoming very bad, like the Indystar board did about 8 years ago (which is why I quit posting over there). There are very few actual discussions anymore.

We have the people who think the Colts and everyone in the organization can do no wrong and they personally attack anyone that suggests improvements could be made. And then we have the people that think the Colts and everyone in the organization can do no right, they don't seem to personally attack as much but they hi-jack just about every positive thread with some stupid comment that may or may not be based on reality. And then there is a group of people (getting smaller and smaller) that try to talk football... the good and the bad.

Now to get back to the discussion. I would not mind seeing Moncrief get some more of the snaps and if those snaps come at the expense of Nicks then I don't see a downside. I think Moncrief has done well with his limited playing time and I think the fact that he has been targeted 9 times with as few snaps as he's been on the field is telling about and the fact that he has as many yards as Nicks (in half the targets and 66% of the catches) is also telling of Moncrief's ability. I didn't know much about Moncrief before the draft, other than what I read about him but he is impressive, great leaping ability, a smooth runner and route runner, is a long strider so he's running faster than it looks and he has a second gear as well.

I quoted you because of the simple fact that I can't like twice.

....and he was gone on a long bomb (most likely a TD) if not for a PI. 

don't forget that he's our #3 receiver. He's not gonna go over 100 often. 

Valid points. I'm not expecting him to have 100 yards a game. I'm not expecting any of the receivers to. There's so much depth there's no need. I'm just saying it might be a little more efficient to put Moncrief in for more snaps.

My opinion could also completely change in the next few weeks. Like I said, I'm probably being premature with this 

Valid points. I'm not expecting him to have 100 yards a game. I'm not expecting any of the receivers to. There's so much depth there's no need. I'm just saying it might be a little more efficient to put Moncrief in for more snaps.

My opinion could also completely change in the next few weeks. Like I said, I'm probably being premature with this 

Just shows you're excited about our weapons. He'll (Nicks) have a few monster games this season, I betcha!!! ....and Moncrief will certainly make a few big plays as well. Best to let the SB champ have at it while Moncrief picks up the minutia of being a star receiver. 

more snaps for moncrief is definitely a plus.

I really think that with Wayne, Nicks, Hilton, Moncrief, Allen, and Fleener, we aren't going to have a dominant weapon.  I think the ball will be spread around pretty evenly as it has been thus far.  A guy might sneak up and have a huge game but over the course of the season, I don't see anyone of them putting up huge numbers because of the number of weapons this offense has.

I really think that with Wayne, Nicks, Hilton, Moncrief, Allen, and Fleener, we aren't going to have a dominant weapon.  I think the ball will be spread around pretty evenly as it has been thus far.  A guy might sneak up and have a huge game but over the course of the season, I don't see anyone of them putting up huge numbers because of the number of weapons this offense has.

I'd like to see it suss out like our 2009 squad did. When Clark, Wayne and Harrison all had over 100 catches. Though we have more variety in weaponry than that Manning led Colts squad did, so having Nicks (or any other guy) getting 100 to match Hilton/Wayne would be a long shot. 

He is a rookie working him in slowly his time will come. I don't see your opinion changing Moncrief looks very good. I get that feeling I get when TY makes a catch like it could go all the way at anytime.  I wish we would throw deep a little more but back to back 40 pointers can't ask for more than that.

We have so many weapons if Luck is on it almost isn't fair. How are you supposed to cover all those guys? We will see if Baltimore has any answers I am guessing blitz pick up will be very important next week.  

I'd like to see it suss out like our 2009 squad did. When Clark, Wayne and Harrison all had over 100 catches. Though we have more variety in weaponry than that Manning led Colts squad did, so having Nicks (or any other guy) getting 100 to match Hilton/Wayne would be a long shot. 

That won't happen because we are a "power run team" and Trent Richardson is our offensive centerpiece.   

That won't happen because we are a "power run team" and Trent Richardson is our offensive centerpiece.   

Uh, no. Andrew Luck is averaging a little over 40 passes a game. I'd say that's not a power-run team. Also, Bradshaw has gotten more snaps than t-rich.

I think it should depend on how serious we are about keeping Nicks. If we have no real intent to sign him past this season, let Moncrief get some more snaps. Nicks hasn't set the world on fire, but he hasn't been a detriment, either. (I'm looking at you, DHB.)

It is reality: Reggie's time is drawing to a close. Rapidly. He's still doing the job, but can he continue to be a #1 outside?

No.

And I like Hilton and we've seen he can be at times, but that's the problem. It's only at times. I think we plan on a big role for Moncrief in the future, so let's start making sure he can handle that now as opposed to finding out he can't if ever comes a day where we NEED him to.

Uh, no. Andrew Luck is averaging a little over 40 passes a game. I'd say that's not a power-run team. Also, Bradshaw has gotten more snaps than t-rich.

Can't count the Denver game cause we got blown out early so he had to throw

Jags & Titans game are the best examples cause we threw the ball that much by choice, not force

So you Bench a guy you paid big bucks to for a 1 year make it or break it deal for a rookie whom you have on a 4 year contract? Nicks has played well thus far, as well as Moncrief with that being said Moncrief will see his share in playing time just as he has been.

don't forget that he's our #3 receiver. He's not gonna go over 100 often. 

I don't think 100 yards is the benchmark people are using.  I know I don't expect him to make a 10o yards in a game.  But I would have expected 100 yards in the first 4 games.  I don't think Nicks has done bad (nor has he done great as some suggest) it's just that Moncrief looks to be THAT good.

So you Bench a guy you paid big bucks to for a 1 year make it or break it deal for a rookie whom you have on a 4 year contract? Nicks has played well thus far, as well as Moncrief with that being said Moncrief will see his share in playing time just as he has been.

We didn't pay "big bucks" to Nicks...

I think Nicks and Reggie are more similar than Moncrief and Nicks. Similar builds, great hands, but Reggie still creates seperation better.

Moncrief has the speed to stretch the field.

I'd like to see Moncrief and TY on the field and send them both deep. When the safety goes out either throw to the one with one on one coverage, or throw to the middle of the field to Allen/Fleener/RB/Reggie (whoever is mismatched on a LB).

Someone would be open.  

Ehh patience.  Nicks hasn't been that bad, he just hasn't gotten a lot of good targets like Reggie and Hilton.  He's the 3rd receiver, no question about it.

With Moncrief I have to say though a good number of those catches seem to be plays designed to get him the ball in space and let his speed pick up some chunk yardage.  I'm not sure if he's ready yet to go out there on a day to day basis and make catches that are not designed plays for him.

I'd say give Nicks a chance.  He hasn't been a DHB or anything.  And he's been good in the red zone.

If I'm not mistaken in the red zone Nicks gets in over TY.  (Which makes sense because of how short TY is.)

I think we are phasing in Moncrief at the right pace.   Give a guy too many looks and more chances for failure (before he knows the Pro game inside and out), then things can sour for a guy early in his career.  Greatness will surface if greatness is within.  It's only a matter of time, and with all of our weapons, we have plenty of that.

As an Ole miss fan and have been following Moncrief his entire career, including his high school ball at Raleigh High School In Mississippi, I can tell you he can go deep. I would like to see Luck throw it deep to him because with his size, and his speed, and his vertical, it can be pretty difficult to spot. Just look at his highlights against texas in 2012