Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manziel flips the bird

21isSuperman

The media is gonna destroy him on this one.  NFL Network and ESPN just found their programming content for the rest of the week.  Manziel tomorrow or after the game or whenever he makes an announcement: "I'm sorry, it was immature and irresponsible of me, I acted in a way that embarrassed my teammates, the organization, and the fans, and I apologize to the Redskins organization and their fans".  Then NFL Network and ESPN will spend a week asking if the apology was sincere

Yeah in the age of social media nothing is hidden anymore. It didn't offend me all that much, but some parents who bring small children to games will raise a role model fuss over this incident.

Honestly, Johnny probably just forgot he wasn't in an NFL locker room for a split second. Ownership will not like this at all. Fake outrage all over again. LOL!  

The media is gonna destroy him on this one.  NFL Network and ESPN just found their programming content for the rest of the week.  Manziel tomorrow or after the game or whenever he makes an announcement: "I'm sorry, it was immature and irresponsible of me, I acted in a way that embarrassed my teammates, the organization, and the fans, and I apologize to the Redskins organization and their fans".  Then NFL Network and ESPN will spend a week asking if the apology was sincere

I think you are right. Just when the non stop Manziel talk was dying down a little, now this. :popcorn:

Then NFL Network and ESPN will spend a week asking if the apology was sincere

Yes 21, therein lies the TV pundit lunacy. Based on the tone of his voice did you find his response authentic & genuine? Is Johnny being protected by his public relations handlers correctly? Talk about lame & childish.

It would be like it you blew up at somebody with an onslaught of curse words & then an analyst said "You can see how passionately your partner loves you. Don't take it personal just embrace the passion & build on that intense emotion." So dumb it's funny actually. 

If it was anyone other than a QB making the gesture, it's really no big deal...or at leas tnot as big a deal.  I don't have an issue with it.  But he has to know what it will cause media-wise.  If he's willing to deal with it, then it is what it is.  It's an emotional game, things like that happen even if it's immature.  The only time it becomes a problem is if it affects your game, and lets be honest, he wasn't having a good game to begin with.  He's a rookie, I wouldn't make to much of it if I were the Browns management except to bring him to the sidelines and tell him basically what I just said.  That and to not make the game about yourself...keep your focus on the team.

I don't think it is that big of a deal. But of course the media will do anything for a story. I just wanted to watch some football tonight and what do I get? Manziel everywhere. They asked him what he sounds like in a huddle and wanted to hear it, so he confusedly spouts out some words. Like what kind of stupid question is that? These foolbags are akin to a crazed 10 year old Justin Bieber fan. Honestly it is almost disgusting. /rant

On topic, it was dumb but what I always say is that you would get worse walking into a high school for 5 seconds.

Called him a punk before the draft, many disagreed. His apology is fake, a PR move, and he isn't sorry in the least. At least have the stones to admit you meant it with all your heart.

Not a fan....... however......this wouldn't be an issue if ESPN and the rest of the broadcast world didn't have a camera up his ............on every play, every word, every gesture..........

He may be a great talent, and he may not be a thug, but he sure as hell does not respect the game. I frankly dont care whether he succeeds or fails, I just want his shiny newness to fade so he disappears from the limelight.

If it was anyone other than a QB making the gesture, it's really no big deal...or at leas tnot as big a deal.  I don't have an issue with it.  But he has to know what it will cause media-wise.  If he's willing to deal with it, then it is what it is.  It's an emotional game, things like that happen even if it's immature.  The only time it becomes a problem is if it affects your game, and lets be honest, he wasn't having a good game to begin with.  He's a rookie, I wouldn't make to much of it if I were the Browns management except to bring him to the sidelines and tell him basically what I just said.  That and to not make the game about yourself...keep your focus on the team.

I am not too sure about the bird being no big deal. The late Bud Adams was fined $250,000 for a double bird and A. J. Hawk was fined $10,000. for his bird. There have been a few other athletes that have been fined including Ron Artest, Brian Cox and Juan Pablo Montoya.

He was just antsy. Had not had a hit all night........someone roll him a 100 dollar bill before it is too late.

:lol:  :funny:  lmao Jules, you crack me up. You always say what shouldn't be said, but needs to be said for comic relief alone. Bravo! 

I have nothing against Johnny Manziel. He just got caught on tape being carefree & young. I did stupid stuff as a young man myself. I can't condemn Johnny for this nonsense. Nothing to report here. 

Okay, not the best way to prove to the coaching staff that you are ready to be the face of franchise in Cleveland, but just give the man time to grow into the Browns leadership role. I won't crucify any QB in their rookie year. 

Not calling you out Jules; it more a scathing criticism of the NFL media who wants any easy story without working very hard at something new, fresh, & relevant that's all. 

I am not too sure about the bird being no big deal. The late Bud Adams was fined $250,000 for a double bird and A. J. Hawk was fined $10,000. for his bird. There have been a few other athletes that have been fined including Ron Artest, Brian Cox and Juan Pablo Montoya.

Yes, stiff fines usually make you fall in line. If Johnny flipped the bird on a daily basis, then you could suggest that some sort of behavior modification change was warranted, but this act is hardly indicative of chaotic & unruly behavior. I read ya CC1. As long as this incident is not a pattern revealing a lack of impulse control everything will be fine & this tiny hiccup will disappear. 

Has any athlete busted for bird flipping in the NFL ever requested that a portion of their fine go to say International Crane Foundation or some sort of federal bald eagle or hawk repopulation species program? Now that would be hilarious to me. LOL! I'd ask Roger Goodell that just to mess with his head. If I'm gonna get fined for bird displays, I at least want my donation to go to a worthy cause. 

Side note: "Busted for bird flipping" sounds like cow tipping in WI. Is that what Falcons fans do in Atlanta when they have had too much to drink after a victorious game? Hmmm...Just kidding! I'd like to see an intoxicated fan try & tip a falcon though. Maybe Seattle fans do this little ritual too...

Legal disclaimer: No moderators or anyone affiliated with this Colts Form site, SW1 is not condoning, endorsing, or embracing the excessive consumption of alcohol which may lead to violence, property damage, or bodily harm BTW. There SW1 covered all the bases now...

Yes, stiff fines usually make you fall in line. If Johnny flipped the bird on a daily basis, then you could suggest that some sort of behavior modification change was warranted, but this act is hardly indicative of chaotic & unruly behavior. I read ya CC1. As long as this incident is not a pattern revealing a lack of impulse control everything will be fine & this tiny hiccup will disappear. 

Has any athlete busted for bird flipping in the NFL ever requested that a portion of their fine go to say International Crane Foundation or some sort of federal bald eagle or hawk repopulation species program? Now that would be hilarious to me. LOL! I'd ask Roger Goodell that just to mess with his head. If I'm gonna get fined for bird displays, I at least want my donation to go to a worthy cause. 

Side note: "Busted for bird flipping" sounds like cow tipping in WI. Is that what Falcons fans do in Atlanta when they have had too much to drink after a victorious game? Hmmm...Just kidding! I'd like to see an intoxicated fan try & tip a falcon though. Maybe Seattle fans do this little ritual too...

Legal disclaimer: No moderators or anyone affiliated with this Colts Form site, SW1 is not condoning, endorsing, or embracing the excessive consumption of alcohol which may lead to violence, property damage, or bodily harm BTW. There SW1 covered all the bases now...

It's funny. Flipping the bird originated in 423 BC in a comedy play in Greece. It's meaning has changed very little over time. It has also been traced back to medieval era. And I thought it was made up in my old neighborhood when I was a teen? :dunno: Who knew? :shh:

It's funny. Flipping the bird originated in 423 BC in a comedy play in Greece. It's meaning has changed very little over time. It has also been traced back to medieval era. And I thought it was made up in my old neighborhood when I was a teen? :dunno: Who knew? :shh:

Thanks for the world history lesson CC1. And people say that history is boring old news. Ha! You just proved that history & literature can be useful & informative. Nicely done! 

Not a fan....... however......this wouldn't be an issue if ESPN and the rest of the broadcast world didn't have a camera up his ............on every play, every word, every gesture..........

How is that having a camera up in his ...? He was coming onto the field so they were showing him and then he does THAT. He gift wrapped it for them. He should probably get some anger counseling at this point.

He'll continue to generate hype and ratings with stuff like this, with a ton of viewers tuning in....probably in equal amounts who want him to succeed, with the other half hoping he gets maimed.

The hype will begin to fade as the Browns forge onward to their usual 4-12 record.

Indeed.....this has all the makings of Ryan Leaf 2.0 

He was just antsy. Had not had a hit all night........someone roll him a 100 dollar bill before it is too late.

Did anyone else giggle when John Gruden said "Johnny needs to spread his magic dust"? 

Anywho....people are being too hard on him. The scrutiny he receives is FAR more than most players have to deal with. We have players out there screaming the "F" word, knocking each others helmets off in post-play scrums, beating their girlfriends when they get home, smoking dope while driving around with friends that have guns.......and y'all are licking the ESPN gruel right off the floor, over a middle finger?

Seriously? Who should grow up, Manziel or you? (not you Jules  :highfive2: )

Well it should be fined.  I'm not saying that he shouldn't be.  But for it to have been made into such a big deal, the media attention every time it happens exceeds the infraction IMO.

This should make the decision of the Browns coach easy about who will be their starter.  I am not going to bust Manziel's chops to much over this as he is still a young kid who has a lot of maturing to do.  He needs to sit and watch for awhile and just needs some time to mature into the roll.

Flipping the bird is not horrible given what is said on the field, but a lot of fans will get their panties in a bunch over it so you do not want your franchise QB doing it.  

Flipping someone off is not that big of a deal. The act itself, meh... doesn't bother me. 

But what would bother me as a Browns fan is how it happened. Washington players were trash talking him and instead of manning up and shutting them up with his play, Manziel reacts by flipping them off. They rattled him badly enough for him to have a seriously bad lapse in judgment. 

I don't want that in my leaders. Best way to shut someone up is to kick their heiney.