Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manziel flips the bird

21isSuperman

We aren't seeing the hypocrisy here? 

Orakpo makes insulting hand gesture. No one cares. 

Johnny Manziel makes insulting hand gesture. Sign of trouble ahead. 

You people need to take your sniffer out of ESPN's butt. 

Does AJ Hawk suck? Is he incapable of controlling his emotions, not a leader and easily distracted from his goal? 

This guy can't handle adversity. He had too much handed to him in college, I am starting to feel.

It is like going from your college where you were a star and treated like a star to the NFL where you are one amongst the others.  Deep down, I am getting the feeling he wants to be treated like a star instead of earning it. As a Manziel fan, I am disappointed, to be honest. I hope he gets his act straight soon, otherwise he will just be another backup roaming the sidelines.

However, I do think that the added pressure of someone looking over your shoulder does not help any starting QB and Hoyer might be pressing too much as well.

This 2 QB cirus is going to be the downfall for the Browns. I think it was the dawgs by nature blog, a fan blog of the Browns that said that sometimes, waxing and waning as to who will be the QB will only hurt the team in the long run. If you have 2 QBs, you have none.

a QB is put under a microscope. every action you do will be dissected. its not just because its manziel. this would be big if peyton tom or andrew did this

No. What you're buying into is a false narrative that says if a player is greatly successful, he can do things like this and if a player is not greatly successful, he cannot do things like this. 

I don't remember people claiming that Peyton "lost control" or was "letting things get to him" when he screamed "GOD DAMMIT DONALD" or when he went on a tirade toward Jeff Saturday.

I don't remember people saying Tom Brady was crumbling and showing a lack of leadership during his many on-field histrionics. Nope, people described these actions as "fiery" and "competitive". 

Sports fans allow good players to behave badly or have momentary lapses in judgement, but they will not extend such favor to unproven players. To me, it's all the same and none of it bothers me. Either they play well or they do not play well, middle fingers gots nuttin' to do with it. 

No. What you're buying into is a false narrative that says if a player is greatly successful, he can do things like this and if a player is not greatly successful, he cannot do things like this. 

I don't remember people claiming that Peyton "lost control" or was "letting things get to him" when he screamed "GOD DAMMIT DONALD" or when he went on a tirade toward Jeff Saturday.

I don't remember people saying Tom Brady was crumbling and showing a lack of leadership during his many on-field histrionics. Nope, people described these actions as "fiery" and "competitive". 

Sports fans allow good players to behave badly or have momentary lapses in judgement, but they will not extend such favor to unproven players. To me, it's all the same and none of it bothers me. Either they play well or they do not play well, middle fingers gots nuttin' to do with it. 

is that a joke? anytime a great player breaksdown, the media is on it like stink on cheese. you ever see lebron get trashed after a bad game? I have. 

Getting upset because of a lack of play on the field by teammates is one thing. Flipping bird to your opponent is quite another. Manning or Brady has never done that.

is that a joke? anytime a great player breaksdown, the media is on it like stink on cheese. you ever see lebron get trashed after a bad game? I have. 

Criticized? Yes. Exclaimed that this is a sign they suck and aren't worthy? Not hardly. 

Some of y'all are allowing this to lend more credence than is necessary. Flipping the "bird" here is NOT a sign that Johnny sucks and cannot lead a team. His play on the field, however, may indicate such. 

Criticized? Yes. Exclaimed that this is a sign they suck and aren't worthy? Not hardly.

Some of y'all are allowing this to lend more credence than is necessary. Flipping the "bird" here is NOT a sign that Johnny sucks and cannot lead a team. His play on the field, however, may indicate such.

Manziel flipping the bird doesn't say he sucks. His play does

Getting upset because of a lack of play on the field by teammates is one thing. Flipping bird to your opponent is quite another. Manning or Brady has never done that.

You're ignoring the fact that what Orakpo did was no different, yet nobody is gettin' on him for it. Instead..... "He's not a QB". Ridiculous. 

Get outta my face with this trash. Y'all been trained to hate a guy you have never met, based on some silly incident that the media blew up to mammoth proportions. 

the nfl is a work place just like any other place. that kind of behavior especially on monday night when everyone is watching cant be tolerated  

You're ignoring the fact that what Orakpo did was no different, yet nobody is gettin' on him for it. Instead..... "He's not a QB". Ridiculous. 

Get outta my face with this trash. Y'all been trained to hate a guy you have never met, based on some silly incident that the media blew up to mammoth proportions. 

I don't dislike Manziel. I am actually rooting for him to succeed. I was just pointing out the difference in  behavior. I do think Qbs are held to a different standard. And I also don't think it would be a big deal IF Manziel did not have his prior infantile behavior.

Does AJ Hawk suck? Is he incapable of controlling his emotions, not a leader and easily distracted from his goal? 

a QB is put under a microscope. every action you do will be dissected. its not just because its manziel. this would be big if peyton tom or andrew did this

Cam Newton

Philip Rivers

Flipping someone off is not that big of a deal. The act itself, meh... doesn't bother me.

But what would bother me as a Browns fan is how it happened. Washington players were trash talking him and instead of manning up and shutting them up with his play, Manziel reacts by flipping them off. They rattled him badly enough for him to have a seriously bad lapse in judgment.

I don't want that in my leaders. Best way to shut someone up is to kick their heiney.

Agreed 100%...it just seems like Manziel's mental approach, his initiative and his overall seriousness to the position of NFL QB are suffering a major disconnect from reality.

He seemingly enjoys generating the hype and then buckles under it at the same time. And if trash talk bothers him he's in the wrong line of work.

It's still early in his career but the youngster is showing more red flags than a May Day parade in North Korea.

It's a big deal because it's a big deal to the NFL.

The league has gone corporate.      They don't want this from anyone, whether it's a QB or a LB.

AJ Hawk was fined.      Whether the league made a big deal out of it or not.    He was fined.     As will Johnny Cleveland.

And what did Orakpo do?     He mocked Manziel with the money gesture that Manziel likes to do.    How is that the equivalent of Manzel's bird?     If Orakpo did something obscene,  then he'll be fined.

That's the way the league works now.......

Each team is now viewed as a billion dollar corporation, and no one wants the face of the franchise to flip the bird, so it's a big deal.     Period.    I'm not sure why this is hard for some to grasp here,  but it is.

AJ Hawk does suck.

AJ Hawk does suck.

Yeah....he sucks down Chunky soup. The reports I've seen on TV say that his mother, somewhat of a food nazi, forces him to eat 2 bowls of Campbells' Chunky soup before each game. Her totalitarian attitude toward nourishment has been well documented on television as destructive to Mr Hawk's career, and many forecast that he will be cut this year due to a disproportional amount of chicken soup farts. 

I don't care for Manziel, but that was pretty funny. That was a pretty casual "bird" as he was walking away. It's not like he was all agitated and up in Orakpo's face giving him the double fisted salute. Just more fake outrage

Flipping someone off is not that big of a deal. The act itself, meh... doesn't bother me. 

But what would bother me as a Browns fan is how it happened. Washington players were trash talking him and instead of manning up and shutting them up with his play, Manziel reacts by flipping them off. They rattled him badly enough for him to have a seriously bad lapse in judgment. 

I don't want that in my leaders. Best way to shut someone up is to kick their heiney. 

This ^^^^

It's not fair and shows a double standard of sorts, I know, but Aaron Rodgers flipping off Eagles fans after a win is different from a highly touted rookie QB flipping off an opponent in the middle of a game in which he is not playing very well. 

I'd also point out that two of the QBs shown in videos above (Rodgers and Cam Newton) have had their leadership and/or maturity called into question at times as well. 

I'm not trying to kill the kid for it, I'm just saying... don't let them know they got to you. Reacting in a situation where you're getting your butt kicked will be viewed as weakness. 

After I got done laughing? I would slit my wrists in a warm tub, obviously. 

Pretty much...I'd crack up if Luck flipped someone off during a game.  Not all the time obviously because the penalty yards would add up, but just once would be hilarious. :D lol

the nfl is a work place just like any other place. that kind of behavior especially on monday night when everyone is watching cant be tolerated  

Yeah except no, it's not.  Not even close.