Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Days of Josh Chapman have Arrived

ztboiler

Chapman has received a few citations for his progress around here, but I think he is ready to be an outright difference maker.  While it was fun to see him level C2K, the play that sticks out in my head last week was in run pursuit engaged with Mangold as he followed the play down the line. When he was ready to shed the block, he literally tossed Mangold to the turf - had to back it up a few times to believe it, but he rag dolled him.  

We all expected him to become hard to move off of a spot, but he looks ready to find the ball as well.

Chapman has received a few citations for his progress around here, but I think he is ready to be an outright difference maker.  While it was fun to see him level C2K, the play that sticks out in my head last week was in run pursuit engaged with Mangold as he followed the play down the line. When he was ready to shed the block, he literally tossed Mangold to the turf - had to back it up a few times to believe it, but he rag dolled him.  

We all expected him to become hard to move off of a spot, but he looks ready to find the ball as well.

I noticed that as well.  I'm really excited for this kid.  I know it's only preseason, but the first team D gave up only  5 yards on 4 rushes. I think our rush defense really could be impressive this year.

I did the exact same thing...saw that play and had to rewind it a couple of times.  Once just to make sure I really saw what I thought I saw, and again just to truly appreciate it.  I don't think he was credited with the tackle on that play, but he definitely made the play.

From watching him at Alabama, I expected him to be a space eater and clog the running lanes, but he's shown more athleticism than I thought he would have.  I've been saying for a while that having him starting instead of Franklin should really improve the DL. :)

I did the exact same thing...saw that play and had to rewind it a couple of times.  Once just to make sure I really saw what I thought I saw, and again just to truly appreciate it.  I don't think he was credited with the tackle on that play, but he definitely made the play.

From watching him at Alabama, I expected him to be a space eater and clog the running lanes, but he's shown more athleticism than I thought he would have.  I've been saying for a while that having him starting instead of Franklin should really improve the DL. :)

Well last year it made sense that he didn't start full time.  It was effectively his rookie season.  Now he's got a year under his belt.  Should see lots more playing time.  And you're right, he really does look more athletic than I remember from last year.

Well last year it made sense that he didn't start full time.  It was effectively his rookie season.  Now he's got a year under his belt.  Should see lots more playing time.  And you're right, he really does look more athletic than I remember from last year.

yeah definitely, I understood why he wasn't starting last year.  I said a few times last year that I thought Chapman definitely had more raw physical ability but Franklin had the obvious advantage in regards to experience.  I thought they might make the change around 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the season last year but they didn't.  I did fully expect him to be the starter this year though and I can't wait to see how the DL looks this year.

2 players we acquired in the same fashion were John Boyett and Josh Chapman.  Crazy how 2 similar stories can end so differently.   Glad to see Chapman has made the most of his opportunity.  I think he will continue to get better and become our version of Haloti Ngata.

couldnt see the game...is there a youtube clip/nfl clip about it?

2 players we acquired in the same fashion were John Boyett and Josh Chapman.  Crazy how 2 similar stories can end so differently.   Glad to see Chapman has made the most of his opportunity.  I think he will continue to get better and become our version of Haloti Ngata.

Boyett didn't work out for us but from what I've read around the internet the kid has a real shot of making the Broncos roster this year. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a decent NFL career, but I can't blame the Colts for cutting him. Their hands were tied.

Jones-Chapman-Redding. Jones is a proven force. Chapman is primed to break out this season. Redding is the closest thing to Ray Lewis in terms of leadership. We have a great D line.

we also have RJF to give redding breathers and on passing downs...it looks pretty good.

i do wonder what the plan is, if the 3 man line is of those 3..when they go nickel(im talking when mathis is back) what would our DL be like?

Mathis - RJF - Jones - Werner ?  or Mathis - Jones - Redding - Werner?   Mathis - Jones - RJF - Redding?

so many possibilites

I remember seeing a picture of him with his Alabama teammates celebrating a National Championship and he was the one holding the trophy.  I thinks that speaks to the respect he commands from his teammates.  Let's hope he develops that type of leadership and respect for the Colts in the years to come.

If he can be the player I think he can be our defense will be much improved. 

we also have RJF to give redding breathers and on passing downs...it looks pretty good.

i do wonder what the plan is, if the 3 man line is of those 3..when they go nickel(im talking when mathis is back) what would our DL be like?

Mathis - RJF - Jones - Werner ?  or Mathis - Jones - Redding - Werner?   Mathis - Jones - RJF - Redding?

so many possibilites

the best looking one is mathis-jones-redding-Werner.

I love Chapman, but I don't think he'll ever be Haloti Ngata....   they're not the same guy.

Hughes is the guy we brought in to try and be like Ngata...   a guy who can play anywhere up and down the DL...

But Chapman is a pure nose tackle.   And only a nose tackle.    Ngata can play anywhere.    And hopefully Hughes will show the same ability.   

Zach Kerr was the one that stood out to me, Brandon McKinney also did well, And can we leave Matt H in a bit longer, some of these wr's are not really able to show what they can do because they don't have a decent QB throwing to them after Hasselbeck