Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Laron Landry / Haynesworth like BUST

Knuckles79

That's a horrible comparison. He's a pro bowler (even though that's a joke now). Sure he has his moments, but the guy brings a attitude that all defenses need

Haynesworth was lazy, Landry is FAR from lazy

You can't make that comparison

That's a horrible comparison. He's a pro bowler (even though that's a joke now). Sure he has his moments, but the guy brings a attitude that all defenses need

Haynesworth was lazy, Landry is FAR from lazy

You can't make that comparison

If we are talking about production after getting a big contract I get it. (granted not as big as Haynesworth's) but other than GC I think he's the guy we dropped the most money on last year in free agency and results were not there. 

Like the OP said hopefully he turns it around this season so he isn't compared to Haynesworth anymore other than that they both played defense in the NFL.

Why would anyone ever compare Laron Landry to Albert Haynesworth?

I could give a dozen reasons why this is a complete failure of a comparison, but I'll just go with the most important: Landry's contract is four years, $24m, with $11m guaranteed; Haynesworth's contract was seven years, $100m, with $41m guaranteed.

This is really stupid.

Poorly written article, but main point is that we paid a too much money to someone who played poorly last year.  And we did. If you read a better article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2108648-can-colts-safety-laron-landry-rebound-in-2014

you see Landry "finished the season ranked 45th among starting safeties in Pro Football Focus' tackling efficiency metric." and "Landry was 41st among safeties in cover snaps per reception and failed to force a single turnover throughout the season."

He obviously needs to get his game back. If he don't, I see us using a draft pick on a safety next year for the sole purpose of replacing him.

If you had to label him after one year, I'd say "bust" isn't unreasonable.  However, he has played well at times in the past...and he works hard, so I have hopes that he'll do better this year.  They may need to change the defense a bit to put him in coverage less than last year.  (I wonder if he can play a SAM-like position during Mathis' suspension, and give us a kind of 3-3-5 D...)

Truth be told, he probably didn't deserve to go to the Pro Bowl in 2012, however I still did lilke the signing when we got him. He has been a huge disappointment though and was pretty terrible last year. A lot of that may be down to the fact that Manusky tried to turn him into something he wasn't. He is a pretty good in-the-box safety and that is it, use him that way. I doubt he will ever be a star, but hopefully he is a decent contributor this season.

Well...this comparison isn't exactly fair.  I do, however, agree with some of the points.  Landry hasn't shown the slightest interest in being any sort of leader, and I don't understand why he would rather work out by himself instead of with his team.  I don't particularly like him, or his playing style of "let's do nothing but try to destroy people and whiff half the time" but...I'm also not willing to call him a bust for us yet.

I think you need to give a player more than one year in a new situation before you put any sort of judgement on them. Hopefully he can be more of the player we envisioned him being...We'll see.

He will never be confused for a cover safety but had he not missed 4 games he likely would have posted the tackle numbers that Bethea did and probably the passes defensed to, He is clearly better in the box then back in coverage but so is and was Bethea, Im not worried about him or either Safety spot, Im expecting Safety to be a high priority after the season though cant say how high, I am in no way confident that Howell and Landry are the starting future Safety combination on the team, Also Haynesworth was/is a butthead but I don't think I would call him a bust

Why would anyone ever compare Laron Landry to Albert Haynesworth?

I could give a dozen reasons why this is a complete failure of a comparison, but I'll just go with the most important: Landry's contract is four years, $24m, with $11m guaranteed; Haynesworth's contract was seven years, $100m, with $41m guaranteed.

This is really stupid.

Co-signed,

OffensivelyPC

A "great" D is a total of the sum of it's parts....      Landry was a STUD for a "really good"  NY Jet D....   that did something Indy does not do.     They have a front 7 that stops the run.....       

Indy does not have a Jet type D..    "yet"  ..    Landry is not a cover S,  he is a run stopper.    That is why Indy signed him.     He did not tackle well last season...   ??  Maybe from just to much action?   Safety's tend to get hurt a lot on this D...       Because the front 7 is like a water faucet some times.  

A great front 7 makes EVERY DB 3X better.     In public perception that is.      Colt DB's have to cover for 3 plus seconds almost always...    Seattle on the other hand has a DB that only has to hold their man for 3 max or less ...    almost always... 

It's a team game.      Put Richard Sherman on this D and watch how his roll would slow to ....     "over rated" status. 

I say it constantly...  the best pass D is a great pass RUSH.           No DB field will flourish without a great front 7 disrupting the action at the LOS.     That is just reality.  

Over the last 15 years Indy's D backfield has seen way too much action from the run stopping side of the ball.      What would Manning's numbers look like had Indy had a D that could get off the field on 3rd down consistently?    

Well...this comparison isn't exactly fair.  I do, however, agree with some of the points.  Landry hasn't shown the slightest interest in being any sort of leader, and I don't understand why he would rather work out by himself instead of with his team.  I don't particularly like him, or his playing style of "let's do nothing but try to destroy people and whiff half the time" but...I'm also not willing to call him a bust for us yet.

I think you need to give a player more than one year in a new situation before you put any sort of judgement on them. Hopefully he can be more of the player we envisioned him being...We'll see.

Spot on. There is a documented history of FA`s not performing so well in year one with their new teams.

And as Coach P so politically correctly said, he wants to have BOTH safeties good in pass coverage. Face it, we had NONE last season.

Considering we have a HUGE # of young players that are just getting their feet wet this season, it wouldn`t bother me one bit if Laron played little to NOT at all. We can become a REAL 11-5 +Team this season now that so many weak misfits have FINALLY been Purged. IMO by 2015 Playoff time we should be ready to Monster. 

No problem paying solid $$$ for a FA safety when we did. I do wish it wasn`t Landry, and not that contract that sticks him to us for 2-3 more seasons.

And of course i see no comparison to AH. But it brought the eyes. ;-)

A "great" D is a total of the sum of it's parts....      Landry was a STUD for a "really good"  NY Jet D....   that did something Indy does not do.     They have a front 7 that stops the run.....       

Indy does not have a Jet type D..    "yet"  ..    Landry is not a cover S,  he is a run stopper.    That is why Indy signed him.     He did not tackle well last season...   ??  Maybe from just to much action?   Safety's tend to get hurt a lot on this D...       Because the front 7 is like a water faucet some times.  

A great front 7 makes EVERY DB 3X better.     In public perception that is.      Colt DB's have to cover for 3 plus seconds almost always...    Seattle on the other hand has a DB that only has to hold their man for 3 max or less ...    almost always... 

It's a team game.      Put Richard Sherman on this D and watch how his roll would slow to ....     "over rated" status. 

I say it constantly...  the best pass D is a great pass RUSH.           No DB field will flourish without a great front 7 disrupting the action at the LOS.     That is just reality.  

Over the last 15 years Indy's D backfield has seen way too much action from the run stopping side of the ball.      What would Manning's numbers look like had Indy had a D that could get off the field on 3rd down consistently?    

Well, the biggest reason Mannings D sucked was because we spent to many top draft picks supporting Mannings pass happy stat stuffing. JMO of course. Lets face it, he wanted that Heisman uh, er, i mean MVP trophy more than Anything and perhaps $$$ a close 2nd. JMO of course.

Passing 'Look at Me' $tat$ certainly came WAY before the Ball Control that helps what? The D!

I certainly Hope we run the ball at a higher % than we did last season. I recall, as a Team we were about 22nd last season.

Come on O-Line and TE`s!!!

Truth be told, he probably didn't deserve to go to the Pro Bowl in 2012, however I still did lilke the signing when we got him. He has been a huge disappointment though and was pretty terrible last year. A lot of that may be down to the fact that Manusky tried to turn him into something he wasn't. He is a pretty good in-the-box safety and that is it, use him that way. I doubt he will ever be a star, but hopefully he is a decent contributor this season.

Good assesment. I honeslty don't even look at Pro Bowl designations anymore (they just are not indicative of reality). I also, liked having his attitude on the team. I believe a big factor in Laron's value pertains to the new rules enforcement of hitting receivers. 5-10 years ago, and certainly 15-20 years ago, Laron would have been a huge asset, even with his coverage liabilities since he could hit receivers and enforce the middle of the field. With new rules of leading with the helmet as well as overall hits on receivers being changed and enforced, his value declined tremendously. He never covered very well, but as we saw last year, key whifs on running plays were problems, too. But he still can not be compared to Haynesworth in anyway.

Manning was FORCED to throw because Indy's D was typically .....       very bad,   particularly against the run.     Indy tried and tried to do the ball control thing ....  but ...  alas..     BANG down 14 - 0 .     

When Indy was "kinda"  good on D from 03 - 06...   and they did run the ball very well.      Manning's biggest play of his career was the call to Addai in the AFCCCG in 06.       and the Super Bowl was a Colt "running attack" and DEFENSE  that won the game.  Not pinball Manning stats.

Indy has tried..  to make it happen.     But..       D and OL deterioration put Indy into playstation Madden mode from 07 on.

I don't hate on Manning one bit for the dough he EARNED.    He single handedly (word?) carried Indy the last several years he was our QB.      And that is not even debatable.  

Well, the biggest reason Mannings D sucked was because we spent to many top draft picks supporting Mannings pass happy stat stuffing. JMO of course. Lets face it, he wanted that Heisman uh, er, i mean MVP trophy more than Anything and perhaps $$$ a close 2nd. JMO of course.
 Passing 'Look at Me' Manning certainly came WAY before the Ball Control that helps what? The D!

I certainly Hope we run the ball at a higher % than we did last season. I recall, as a Team we were about 22nd last season.

Forget coverage. So the reason he sucked at tackling last year, based on how he performed on each of the tackle attempts he had - via PFF analysis, that more attempts to tackle from a leaky front 7 would make him look worse??? I see your general point about better players help each other, but don't see at all how this effected Landry's poor ability to tackle. Poor coaching, different system, not giving him a chance to play to his strengths, ya maybe. Also, may be inflated ego, lack of effort, losing the eye of the Tiger, muscles over technique or not caring much about the team he is on. Maybe that had something to do with it.

PFF analysis?       sigh..... 

Landry is fine,  he is what Indy "WANTED" when they signed him.    That said ...   I guarantee you Grigs and Pags expected the DL to play much better than they did last season.     Folks should not be on Landry's * but the DC or the Chapman, Redding, and all the rest of the guys playing NG and "DE"     which is in all reality is DT.      They were VERY poor last year.   And the Edge was a chronic problem ................................................................................   AGAIN ..     

This D is just not there yet.    And LL is not the reason.     Focusing on the $$ FA signing is a lazy excuse for bad play on D.  

Give me a Seattle front 7 and Gordy...    DB and the lot are all seeing BIG pay days in the next coming years.   Are they that good?

Heck NO....    the RUSH is.

Forget coverage. So the reason he sucked at tackling last year, based on how he performed on each of the tackle attempts he had - via PFF analysis, that more attempts to tackle from a leaky front 7 would make him look worse??? I see your general point about better players help each other, but don't see at all how this effected Landry's poor ability to tackle. Poor coaching, different system, not giving him a chance to play to his strengths, ya maybe. Also, may be inflated ego, lack of effort, losing the eye of the Tiger, muscles over technique or not caring much about the team he is on. Maybe that had something to do with it.

It is too bad that Landry is a workout warrior first and a football player second.

And if he is taking roids, we can expect more injuries...roids make you brittle and more susceptible to muscle tears...difficult to play the full schedule.

Poorly written article, but main point is that we paid a too much money to someone who played poorly last year. And we did. If you read a better article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2108648-can-colts-safety-laron-landry-rebound-in-2014

you see Landry "finished the season ranked 45th among starting safeties in Pro Football Focus' tackling efficiency metric." and "Landry was 41st among safeties in cover snaps per reception and failed to force a single turnover throughout the season."

He obviously needs to get his game back. If he don't, I see us using a draft pick on a safety next year for the sole purpose of replacing him.

I mean, outside of Mathis the whole defense was terrible last year if we're being honest. Landry was one of the bright spots. Least before the injury he was

He will never be confused for a cover safety but had he not missed 4 games he likely would have posted the tackle numbers that Bethea did and probably the passes defensed to, He is clearly better in the box then back in coverage but so is and was Bethea, Im not worried about him or either Safety spot, Im expecting Safety to be a high priority after the season though cant say how high, I am in no way confident that Howell and Landry are the starting future Safety combination on the team, Also Haynesworth was/is a butthead but I don't think I would call him a bust

I'm scratching my head.

1.   You not worried about either safety spot this year.

2.   But you expect safety to be a high priority next year.

3.   Not convinced that Landry/Howell are the safety tandem of the future.

Huh?!?     :scratch:

If you believe #1,  then you shouldn't believe #2 and #3.

If you believe 2 and 3,  then you shouldn't believe 1.

Just sayin.....

Never understand how people bash Landry as if Bethea wasn't stinking up the place last year. Guess some of you ignore it since Bethea has been with the colts longer.

The entire secondary was bad expect when playing against Denver & San Francisco

Passing 'Look at Me' Manning certainly came WAY before the Ball Control that helps what? The D!

I love when people say "let's face it..." and then proceed to say something with absolutely no basis in fact. 

I'm confused by your confusion. Landry took bad angles and missed tackles. A leaky front led to more tackle opportunities for Landry, which means more opportunities for him to take bad angles and miss tackles. That seems pretty basic. Am I misreading your post?

Also, I think fans make too much out of players not joining OTAs. Preferably, everyone would be there, but there's always a player or two who works out on their own away from the team. Reggie Wayne has always been absent during the offseason program; no one ever accused him of not caring about the team he plays for or having an inflated ego. 

I'm confused by your confusion. Landry took bad angles and missed tackles. A leaky front led to more tackle opportunities for Landry, which means more opportunities for him to take bad angles and miss tackles. That seems pretty basic. Am I misreading your post?

Also, I think fans make too much out of players not joining OTAs. Preferably, everyone would be there, but there's always a player or two who works out on their own away from the team. Reggie Wayne has always been absent during the offseason program; no one ever accused him of not caring about the team he plays for or having an inflated ego.

:scoregood:

Accuse Reggie? Blashpemy, he's a forum favorite. No one ever looks at what the veteran's do

he got a huge contract, killing their cap when they cut him, and did absolutely nothing for washington. how do you not call that a bust??

He was a monster before he got to Washington. You don't remember him & that Titans defensive line giving Peyton fits?

Never understand how people bash Landry as if Bethea wasn't stinking up the place last year. Guess some of you ignore it since Bethea has been with the colts longer.

The entire secondary was bad expect when playing against Denver & San Francisco

Ya, Bethea stunk so bad he got a four year 26 million dollar contract from San Fran this year. That is 4 more mill than we paid for Landry AND Bethea will be 29.

Ya, Bethea stunk so bad he got a four year 26 million dollar contract from San Fran this year. That is 4 more mill than we paid for Landry AND Bethea will be 29.

1) Bethea got four years, $21m.

2) What the Niners paid him doesn't change how well or poorly he played last year. Unless you think the Niners' contract decisions are above reproach. (And then I'd have to ask why Bethea's contract validates his status, whereas Landry is just overpaid.)

3) Bethea got torched in coverage last year. 

Landry was bad in coverage and he often took too many gambles in run game and was often missing tackles. Not to rub salt in the wounds but this video....key on #30 and watch how often he is a non factor.

He isn't a Haynesworth style bust, because he is actually going to play for two years and he wasn't guaranteed a stupid amount of money. He has however, not been very good. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-playoffs/0ap2000000312126/Divisional-Round-LeGarrette-Blount-highlights

So what you get paid always determine how well you play/played

Joe Flacco is a $100million QB, did he play like that this season?

Blaine Gabbert got picked up by the 49ers, guess that makes him good huh?