Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Laron Landry / Haynesworth like BUST

Knuckles79

I mean, outside of Mathis the whole defense was terrible last year if we're being honest. Landry was one of the bright spots. Least before the injury he was

If we're being completely honest, that's not even remotely true.  

He wasnt that awful, my only knock on him was durability and his ability to stay on the field.

I don't remember, but wasn't he leading the league in tackles before he got his ankle rolled up on ? I think the rest of the games he did play he was not even close to 80% healthy.

I don't remember, but wasn't he leading the league in tackles before he got his ankle rolled up on ? I think the rest of the games he did play he was not even close to 80% healthy.

Yep, NFL'S leading tackler

I look for him to be in the Top 5 this year when it's all over

Yeah, re-watch the Raiders game from week 1 last season. Landry was epic in that game, laid the wood on receivers over and over again.

If he can stay healthy and if Manusky uses him right then he could be a pro bowler again no problem.

So what you get paid always determine how well you play/played

Joe Flacco is a $100million QB, did he play like that this season?

Blaine Gabbert got picked up by the 49ers, guess that makes him good huh?

1) Bethea got four years, $21m.

2) What the Niners paid him doesn't change how well or poorly he played last year. Unless you think the Niners' contract decisions are above reproach. (And then I'd have to ask why Bethea's contract validates his status, whereas Landry is just overpaid.)

3) Bethea got torched in coverage last year. 

We paid Landry 22 mill because we thought he would be a play maker and play like a pro-bowler. He didn't come close. Bethea is going to be paid 21 mill because the very talented and deep 49ers believe he will be a play maker. They wouldn't pay him that kind of money unless they carefully studied film and believe in him. They are far better at evaluating talent than we are. If he stank last year, there is no way he gets that kind of contract at 29 period.

We paid Landry 22 mill because we thought he would be a play maker and play like a pro-bowler. He didn't come close. Bethea is going to be paid 21 mill because the very talented and deep 49ers believe he will be a play maker. They wouldn't pay him that kind of money unless they carefully studied film and believe in him. They are far better at evaluating talent than we are. If he stank last year, there is no way he gets that kind of contract at 29 period.

So the Niners only make good personnel decisions, meaning that the Bethea signing MUST mean that Bethea had a good year in 2013. 

Wow, that is sloppy analysis.

Why not just evaluate Bethea's play last year on its merits? If you actually do that, it's clear that he was bad in coverage last season. All the other nonsense is, well, nonsense.

I'm scratching my head.

1.   You not worried about either safety spot this year.

2.   But you expect safety to be a high priority next year.

3.   Not convinced that Landry/Howell are the safety tandem of the future.

Huh?!?     :scratch:

If you believe #1,  then you shouldn't believe #2 and #3.

If you believe 2 and 3,  then you shouldn't believe 1.

Just sayin.....

No, Im expecting there to be problems this year at Safety....Basically I already mentally have prepared for it though obviously I'd love to be surprised, I just don't see that happening. Both Safeties I believe are box Safeties again so after this year I am expecting Howell to be the odd man out, Im not worried about it cause I expect it. Now I will give an example of something that would worry me that I don't expect and that's if for example Luck comes out this year and throws 23 td's again while throwing 20 picks (Not saying that will happen but I'd be more worried about that then I would be if the Safety spots were not solidified....Because I am not anticipating that will be the case this year)

Why not? You know the usual suspects will be Willis, Bowman, Kuechly & maybe some other LB

Would've put Alonso but he tore his ACL

Because he's not an ILB. He's a safety. If he's making tackles, usually something bad has happened.

I mean, outside of Mathis the whole defense was terrible last year if we're being honest. Landry was one of the bright spots. Least before the injury he was

TK.....

Here's one way to tell that our defense, while not being very good,  was still NOT terrible....

Our defense was 9th in the NFL in points allowed.    9th!!     23 other teams allowed more points than the Colts.

That should tell you that our D,  while wildly inconsistent,   and not a playoff caliber defense,  found a way to bend but not break more times during the season than one might've expected.

To be clear,  our defense was not great last year.   It was not even very good.    But it wasn't terrible.  

But it needs to get much better this year.    Much!     :thmup: 

He was a monster before he got to Washington. You don't remember him & that Titans defensive line giving Peyton fits?

the conversation is about how these players played after getting a big contract (haynesworth/landry), and haynesworth was completely useless after he signed  big contract with washington.

This is true, Everyone knocks him but fails to remember when he is on the field at 100% he has to be accounted for. He will surprise many this season