Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Dunking Allowed

PrincetonTiger

Although I'm not a fan of the NFL's ever-tightening rules, this one makes sense IMO. They've had a couple of situations - one was a Saints/Falcons game (below) - where the game was delayed after players dunked on the goal post and moved it. 

With TV timeouts and more commercials than ever, I have to say I'm in favor of this one. 

jimmy-graham-goal-posts-crooked.jpg

What if they use a fellow teammate as a prop to jump over to simulate dunking but not over the goalpost??? :)

I'm pretty sure that's outlawed because it constitutes a team celebration. Players can only separate by themselves. Oh, and they cant use props, so no dunking over miniature goal posts they have stored in their socks.

Although I'm not a fan of the NFL's ever-tightening rules, this one makes sense IMO. They've had a couple of situations - one was a Saints/Falcons game (below) - where the game was delayed after players dunked on the goal post and moved it.

With TV timeouts and more commercials than ever, I have to say I'm in favor of this one.

jimmy-graham-goal-posts-crooked.jpg

Probably happened twice in the history of the league.

Probably happened twice in the history of the league.

JMO, but that's two times too many.

Let's say it's the middle of the Colts' comeback against KC last year in the playoffs. Someone gets into the end zone, closing Indy's deficit to a single score. They dunk, bend the goal posts, and it takes 30 minutes to right and level them. In the meantime, the momentum shift is snuffed out. I know it's a hypothetical stretch of sorts, but sometimes mechanical delays (like the one at the Super Dome) have, in the past, been a factor in changing the momentum of a game, or giving one team time to catch their breath and talk strategy.

I guess the closest comparison is in the NBA and hanging onto the rim... in hockey, players wouldn't be allowed to take the net off its mooring and push it around the ice. If a guy hits a home run in baseball, he can't rip home plate out of the ground and take it around the bases with him. The goal posts are part of the field of play, they shouldn't really be messed with. 

I'm not against players celebrating, and generally have not liked the rule changes related to it. It's just that the goal post dunk is overdone anyway, and is actually one of those things that could in some cases impact the outcome of a game. It's not particularly entertaining or original at this point. 

I actually don't really care all that much either way... I just don't see it as that big of a deal.

JMO, but that's two times too many.

Let's say it's the middle of the Colts' comeback against KC last year in the playoffs. Someone gets into the end zone, closing Indy's deficit to a single score. They dunk, bend the goal posts, and it takes 30 minutes to right and level them. In the meantime, the momentum shift is snuffed out. I know it's a hypothetical stretch of sorts, but sometimes mechanical delays (like the one at the Super Dome) have, in the past, been a factor in changing the momentum of a game, or giving one team time to catch their breath and talk strategy.

I guess the closest comparison is in the NBA and hanging onto the rim... in hockey, players wouldn't be allowed to take the net off its mooring and push it around the ice. If a guy hits a home run in baseball, he can't rip home plate out of the ground and take it around the bases with him. The goal posts are part of the field of play, they shouldn't really be messed with. 

I'm not against players celebrating, and generally have not liked the rule changes related to it. It's just that the goal post dunk is overdone anyway, and is actually one of those things that could in some cases impact the outcome of a game. It's not particularly entertaining or original at this point. 

I actually don't really care all that much either way... I just don't see it as that big of a deal.

To be fair, if players did that I might be more interested in watching those sports.  

I'm quite amused by the idea of a baseball player in the middle of a game after hitting a home run, yanking home plate off the ground and trotting around the bases holding it above his head.  

To be fair, if players did that I might be more interested in watching those sports.  

I'm quite amused by the idea of a baseball player in the middle of a game after hitting a home run, yanking home plate off the ground and trotting around the bases holding it above his head.  

That perspective, sir, is a fair one.  ;)

The National Moderators League is at it again.

Might as well just ban celebrations all together. There's already so many nonsense rules in this league, go ahead and ban celebrating all together and tell everyone to act like Barry Sanders when they score.

There are a lot more things to whine about than this. The act itself is not original and has become lame. Nothing beats a good spike and anything more is unnecessary. I guess I am too old school and feel like a player should be more about team play than getting yourself noticed for scoring a touchdown. Players get paid very well to do their jobs, not showboating when they do it.

There are a lot more things to whine about than this. The act itself is not original and has become lame. Nothing beats a good spike and anything more is unnecessary. I guess I am too old school and feel like a player should be more about team play than getting yourself noticed for scoring a touchdown. Players get paid very well to do their jobs, not showboating when they do it.

Yeah, I don't particularly like TD celebrations. I just want my team to score and head to the sideline. Maybe do some high fives and that's it. Nothing makes my blood boil when a team scores and then takes a 15 yard penalty because of show boating. Just kills any momentum from the score.

What the heck is wrong with the NFL? Its a game. Let them have fun

Shouldn't just the act of scoring be fun? Why do people think the TD celebration is a requirement? Why do people think it somehow takes away from the game by promoting a little professionalism from professional athletes?

Is it fun to delay a game 20 minutes because some guy wants to celebrate a TD? An unneeded delay can change the entire game. It can cause a needless injury as well. Spiking the ball or pumping your fist is one thing, but we've gone way to far with these *ic celebrations.

I even see these *ic celebrations when a player's team is getting hammered by more than 20 points.

This "No Fun League" mantra is lame.

Might as well just ban celebrations all together. There's already so many nonsense rules in this league, go ahead and ban celebrating all together and tell everyone to act like Barry Sanders when they score.

Are Barry Sanders and Walter Payton less respected because they scored with class? Would they be looked at as even greater if they invented some lame celebration?

No one is saying they need to be emotionless robots.

These signature touchdown celebrations are dumb.

Shouldn't just the act of scoring be fun? Why do people think the TD celebration is a requirement? Why do people think it somehow takes away from the game by promoting a little professionalism from professional athletes?

Is it fun to delay a game 20 minutes because some guy wants to celebrate a TD? An unneeded delay can change the entire game. It can cause a needless injury as well. Spiking the ball or pumping your fist is one thing, but we've gone way to far with these *ic celebrations.

I even see these *ic celebrations when a player's team is getting hammered by more than 20 points.

This "No Fun League" mantra is lame.

whats wrong with ty's celebration  

Sadly, you are right Bogie. The NFL is funny in how they raise a fuss over pointless things like this & what they should care about like CTE & dementia they merely pay lip service to. 

Sadly, you are right Bogie. The NFL is funny in how they raise a fuss over pointless things like this & what they should care about like CTE & dementia they merely pay lip service to. 

The NFL isn't raising a fuss over this. They simply banned it....Others are fussing..

.....and how much does the NFLPA care about dementia....?  How much do us fans care?

Celebrations got out of control and they stopped them....players will accept it for the same reason they accept head trauma..

Because they're paid heavily to accept it..