Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Evan Mathis on the trading block (merge)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh geez he's 33 years old and wants more money.  PASS!!!!

If he was content with his current contract he might be worth a 6th so as to have a good stopgap type of player.  

But I don't want a guy on the roster who's 33 years old, making 5 million and going to hold out for more money.  

And I'm certainly not interested in trading any picks in the first 4 rounds.  

lmao at the best OG in the NFL might be worth a 6th if he wanted to play for peanuts.

Oh geez he's 33 years old and wants more money.  PASS!!!!

If he was content with his current contract he might be worth a 6th so as to have a good stopgap type of player.  

But I don't want a guy on the roster who's 33 years old, making 5 million and going to hold out for more money.  

And I'm certainly not interested in trading any picks in the first 4 rounds.  

Plus he could be undersized for Pep's style of offense. Yeah... I'm with you on this one

lmao at the best OG in the NFL might be worth a 6th if he wanted to play for peanuts.

5 million isn't peanuts.  

Secondly how long is he gonna be the best OG in the NFL?  The dude is 33 years old.

If we're talking about trading for him and then paying him more money I want to know that he's gonna be the best OG in the NFL for the rest of his contract.  

And the likelyhood of that is rather poor.  He's gonna decline sometime within the next 3 years of his contract.  And that decline may be rather fast. 

I don't know why some people just can't accept there are certain players that are not a scheme fit. Mathis happens to be one of them and as others have said...he's too old to be trading picks for and giving him a raise. 

He is to old to trade anything I agree, But the scheme fit excuse is silly, He would fit very well, He has more then enough strength

275 is bull%. Regardless, Evan Mathis has been one of the best run blocking (and overall) OGs in the NFL for the past 3+ years.

PFFs top rated (#1) OG the last 3 years. That's some damn good consistency.

I'm not disagreeing or anything cause I never heard of this guy. But if NFL.com has him under 300 that's a concern

But if you say he's a top guard, I'll take your word for it

He is to old to trade anything I agree, But the scheme fit excuse is silly, He would fit very well, He has more then enough strength

It's not silly at all. He's a zone blocking lineman that wouldn't have the strength to hold up playing mostly a man blocking scheme. The dude is is 6'5" and under 300 lbs. Sounds more like an OT than a guard even though I know he's been pretty good in Philly, but they had Mudd there as there OL coach and he liked smaller, quicker lineman. 

It's not silly at all. He's a zone blocking lineman that wouldn't have the strength to hold up playing mostly a man blocking scheme. The dude is is 6'5" and under 300 lbs. Sounds more like an OT than a guard even though I know he's been pretty good in Philly, but they had Mudd there as there OL coach and he liked smaller, quicker lineman. 

He benched 35 reps at the Combine and squats ALOT http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/8531/evan-mathis

He would fit great, Just because he is in a zone scheme doesn't mean he is strictly a zone O Linemen, Heck just because an O Lineman is in a particular blocking scheme that doesn't mean he should even be in that scheme. Mathis is scheme versatile

He benched 35 reps at the Combine and squats ALOT http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/8531/evan-mathis

He would fit great, Just because he is in a zone scheme doesn't mean he is strictly a zone O Linemen, Heck just because an O Lineman is in a particular blocking scheme that doesn't mean he should even be in that scheme. Mathis is scheme versatile

Seriously...you're using combine stats that happened 10+ yrs. ago? It really doesn't matter how much he benches and squats anyway. Benching and squating isn't the same as taking on 310+ lb guys play after play on his own for an entire game. I know many here do not like to recognize it, but there is a difference in zone blocking lineman and man blocking lineman.

Seriously...you're using combine stats that happened 10+ yrs. ago? It really doesn't matter how much he benches and squats anyway. Benching and squating isn't the same as taking on 310+ lb guys play after play on his own for an entire game. I know many here do not like to recognize it, but there is a difference in zone blocking lineman and man blocking lineman.

We will just disagree, It seems you have not watched him play closely

We will just disagree, It seems you have not watched him play closely

Sounds good and you're right, I haven't watched him real closely because I despise the Eagles but with that said, I've seen enough of him where I don't believe he would be a good fit. Would he be better than who we've had in the past? Yes, but IMO he would become nothing more than average here and wouldn't be even close to being worth his contract.

Sounds good and you're right, I haven't watched him real closely because I despise the Eagles but with that said, I've seen enough of him where I don't believe he would be a good fit. Would he be better than who we've had in the past? Yes, but IMO he would become nothing more than average here and wouldn't be even close to being worth his contract.

At 32 I agree not worth it but he would fit very well

I think he'd be better than average here. For whatever it's worth, he's been the highest rated guard in league for three years in a row, according to PFF. And by a long shot. And that's in Andy Reid's system and Chip Kelly's. I think he'd still be a really good player here, no question. 

But I don't think we should trade for him or pay him what he's apparently wanting. No thanks. I'd rather sign Travelle Wharton for $5m/year than trade for Mathis then give him a raise from $5m/year. 

I think he'd be better than average here. For whatever it's worth, he's been the highest rated guard in league for three years in a row, according to PFF. And by a long shot. And that's in Andy Reid's system and Chip Kelly's. I think he'd still be a really good player here, no question. 

But I don't think we should trade for him or pay him what he's apparently wanting. No thanks. I'd rather sign Travelle Wharton for $5m/year than trade for Mathis then give him a raise from $5m/year. 

I agree. I admit I really do not know how Mathis would perform in a mostly man blocking scheme, but I have serious reservations for someone of his size being able to hold up and win most of his battles.

I agree. I admit I really do not know how Mathis would perform in a mostly man blocking scheme, but I have serious reservations for someone of his size being able to hold up and win most of his battles.

He's been playing LG, so his power is less crucial than his ability to move and play with leverage. Whoever gets him will get a really good player. I just doubt that it will be us.

We'd get hit with between $7.5m-$9m in dead money this year if we traded Mathis. 

True, depends on when the roster bonus is due.  

Still I don't think we could turn down first round pick for a player in his 30's.  

Like I said I don't think we would get offered that, but I wouldn't mind having it.  

why is Kelly subtracting people in Philly..?

Jackson, now Mathis

Hasn't Grigson been subtracting people here in Indy since he got here?  Brackett, Addai, Clark, Collie, Link, Freeney, Matthews, Angerer, Conner etc etc etc?

Who would ya draft there if ya could. I'd do it to I think

Depends on who's available.  A couple thoughts I had where

Calvin Pryor or haha Clinton-Dix to fill our free safety needs.  That's probably where I would go first.

Darqueeze Dennard at CB is an option to replace Toler.  

Louis Nix maybe, we could use a star at NT and I'm not sure that Chapman or Hughes is gonna be that guy.

We could even grab Taylor Lewan to hang onto for a year and let Costanzo walk.  It would save us from paying Costanzo about 7 million per year.

I would say BPA between O-line and anywhere on defense.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace Mathis with a Rush OLB if a good one is a available.  

Basically I'd take the mid 1st round pick because Mathis is likely going to decline soon.  Last season was probably the best season he will ever have.  

My only concern with doing that though is that makes our pass rush fairly questionable and would depend heavily on Werner improving.  

The other thing you could do is attempt to trade down for like a 2nd, a 3rd and a 5th or something like that.  Might be worth it to do that if you can find a trade partner since it's a deep draft.  Although I admit there is a strong chance you wouldn't get a very good trade just because the draft is deep.

Hasn't Grigson been subtracting people here in Indy since he got here?  Brackett, Addai, Clark, Collie, Link, Freeney, Matthews, Angerer, Conner etc etc etc?

None of those players were the best at their position for the last three years. The majority were either battling serious injuries, or left as FAs. 

I get moving Jackson, but Mathis is a different story. 

None of those players were the best at their position for the last three years. The majority were either battling serious injuries, or left as FAs. 

I get moving Jackson, but Mathis is a different story. 

Oh I wasn't comparing any of the players I listed to Evan Mathis.  Was just trying to point out to OUM that it's not at all uncommon for a new coach/gm to want to bring in their own players for any of a thousand reasons.

Depends on who's available.  A couple thoughts I had where

Calvin Pryor or haha Clinton-Dix to fill our free safety needs.  That's probably where I would go first.

Darqueeze Dennard at CB is an option to replace Toler.  

Louis Nix maybe, we could use a star at NT and I'm not sure that Chapman or Hughes is gonna be that guy.

We could even grab Taylor Lewan to hang onto for a year and let Costanzo walk.  It would save us from paying Costanzo about 7 million per year.

I would say BPA between O-line and anywhere on defense.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace Mathis with a Rush OLB if a good one is a available.  

Basically I'd take the mid 1st round pick because Mathis is likely going to decline soon.  Last season was probably the best season he will ever have.  

My only concern with doing that though is that makes our pass rush fairly questionable and would depend heavily on Werner improving.  

The other thing you could do is attempt to trade down for like a 2nd, a 3rd and a 5th or something like that.  Might be worth it to do that if you can find a trade partner since it's a deep draft.  Although I admit there is a strong chance you wouldn't get a very good trade just because the draft is deep.

I'm glad you mentioned Nix. I think they should talk to the Chargers about trading for the 25th pick and grabbing him. A star NT is a very valuable commodity that would be a good addition to help our overall defense.

Costanzo, Mathis, Holmes, Thomas, Cherilus. Thornton, Costa, Reitz for depth.

I love the sound of it, I doubt it actually happens but if we're going to be a power football team that wins in the trenches as Pagano/Pep wish this move could be worth our while. T-Rich may finally look like the 1st round draft pick we gave up (at least there'd no longer be an excuse for him not too). A nice added bonus in extra protection for the franchise QB. And since the plan seems to be to start Holmes, what better player is there for him to play next to?