Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Evan Mathis on the trading block (merge)

Mathis would be replacing Thornton.

I don't like it, he's 33 and that would be a huge blow to Thornton's growth. I thought Thornton played well for being a rookie that we tossed out there..

Grigson said physically Hugh matches up with anyone.. He just needs to correct his mental errors.. I'm high on Thornton.

Why pay Mathis $5 million.. When we have a 24 year old guy who has all the potential, making virtually no money towards our cap.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the link below, the Eagles may take as little as a 4th rounder for him.  I think we can afford that.  We don't have an old team, and we get even younger when you consider that Adam (41) and Matt (38) are driving our average age up.  Mathis is not owed a ton of guaranteed money.  Here are my other thoughts:

• Thomas is coming back from an injury.
  • I have high hopes for Thorton, but he is still learning.
  • Having an All-Pro next to Holmes or Costa has got to help them.

I think it would be a good move.

http://nfltraderumors.co/report-eagles-have-pro-bowl-g-evan-mathis-on-the-trading-block/

All of you are too quick on giving up on Thomas and Thornton. Thomas was injured and the Colts didnt think they would have to thrust Thornton into the starting LG spot when we drafted him to play RG. Our starting line will be Castonzo-Thomas-Holmes-Thornton-Cherilus.

There is no way in hell Grigson is stupid enough to give up a third rounder for an aging guard. it seems like the minute someone comes on the market you all want him and say "he will improve the team and we can get rid of an in-house guy". Look what happened with Laron Landry, we all thought because he played 16 games as a Jet he'd play 16 with us and he didnt. Evan Mathis is 33 and Pagano and Grigson arent that stupid to give up on Thornton and Thomas who i think both will come back and play better than ever.

According to the link below, the Eagles may take as little as a 4th rounder for him.  I think we can afford that.  We don't have an old team, and we get even younger when you consider that Adam (41) and Matt (38) are driving our average age up.  Mathis is not owed a ton of guaranteed money.  Here are my other thoughts:

• Thomas is coming back from an injury.
  • I have high hopes for Thorton, but he is still learning.
  • Having an All-Pro next to Holmes or Costa has got to help them.

I think it would be a good move.

http://nfltraderumors.co/report-eagles-have-pro-bowl-g-evan-mathis-on-the-trading-block/

We dont have a 4th

Thank God there are a few of us here that are capable of using common sense. Trading for a soon to be 33 yr. old guard that is seeking more than his 5.5 mil. A yr. contract is absolutely ludicrous. How people can not understand this is just as ludicrous.

I for one don't get why some think 33 is too old. It's not like he's 36. He's a guard, not a running back. It's still probable he's got 2 more pro bowl years left in him. We're in striking distance of having a truly great offense, I think Mathis would be a guy that would get us there. 

Do you have facts to back that up or are you just going to stick with "Wrong. Few use power-man as their base, fewer use it effectively."

What do you mean by facts? Because I can tell you what teams run power-man as their base for run plays...

The Colts

The 49'ers - Although they play more flex than we do.

The Patriots - A great example of how it should be done, although they usually do it with more of a spread out field rather than with a goal-line formation like we do far too much.

The Buccaneers

The Bengals

The Raiders will be back with a power-man base after their forays into zone-blocking last year were horrific. Green Bay had a lot of power-man stuff but not enough to call them a power-run team. The Lions were a power-man team but moved away from that significantly to open holes for Reggie Bush. You could make an argument for the Falcons but they are more Flex.

Who else Gavin?

Where exactly in that sentence that you quoted did you get that I said most teams use it as there base? many use a combination

Every single team in the league basically go to some variant of power-man in goal-line and short yardage situations... that does not, in any way, mean they 'use a combination'.

What do you mean by facts? Because I can tell you what teams run power-man as their base for run plays...

The Colts

The 49'ers - Although they play more flex than we do.

The Patriots - A great example of how it should be done, although they usually do it with more of a spread out field rather than with a goal-line formation like we do far too much.

The Buccaneers

The Bengals

The Raiders will be back with a power-man base after their forays into zone-blocking last year were horrific. Green Bay had a lot of power-man stuff but not enough to call them a power-run team. The Lions were a power-man team but moved away from that significantly to open holes for Reggie Bush. You could make an argument for the Falcons but they are more Flex.

Who else Gavin?

I know those teams run Man/Power. Also these teams run some form of it

Ravens

Browns

Steelers

Chargers I believe

Rams

He would be worth it if he wasn't up there in age. To heck with whether or not he fits your scheme. He's been the top guard in the league over the past 3-4 seasons. I hate that teams stubbornly stick to schemes to the point they willingly pass on upgrading significantly in an area of need. But like I said, he's demanding top dollar at an age where it's difficult to get it on more than a 1 or 2 year deal. I understand why teams would pass on trading for him, for that reason only

Ravens

Browns

Steelers

Chargers I believe

Rams

The Ravens are going to be pretty much a sole zone blocking team under Kubiak. 

Steelers are also a primarily zone blocking team as well. 

I for one don't get why some think 33 is too old. It's not like he's 36. He's a guard, not a running back. It's still probable he's got 2 more pro bowl years left in him. We're in striking distance of having a truly great offense, I think Mathis would be a guy that would get us there. 

This is where we differ in opinion. I don't think the missing piece is a guard, I don't think our current guards are going to inhibit us in any way. I'm still somewhat concerned about the center spot, but not the guards. I think Thornton can be a great guard if he's allowed to play his more natural position of RG. We have also sacrificed too many draft picks to be giving them away for an old guard(and yes, 33 is old, I don't care what position he plays). I've seen players be great one yr. and then all of a sudden drop off into oblivion the next yr. simply because age can catch up with a player seemingly overnight. I'm also still not convinced that Mathis would be nearly as effective in our scheme. He would probably be alright, but I'm doubtful that he would still be a pro-bowler. 

Ravens

Browns

Steelers

Chargers I believe

Rams

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-11-07/sports/nonsense-sp-ravens-zone-blocking-1108-20131107_1_danger-zone-bernard-pierce-ray-rice

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4070053-74/running-steelers-zone

Further proof that you just make stuff up.

The Steelers still run some Power with there Zone scheme, They dont run a completely zone scheme and that article says that and no I dont make things up when I watched the Ravens it looked liek they mixed in some man with there zone

The Ravens are going to be pretty much a sole zone blocking team under Kubiak. 

Steelers are also a primarily zone blocking team as well. 

Steelers looked like they mixed in some man with there zone though admittedly I have trouble recognizing inside zone compared to man blocking, Outside zone is easy enough

The Steelers still run some Power with there Zone scheme, They dont run a completely zone scheme and that article says that and no I dont make things up when I watched the Ravens it looked liek they mixed in some man with there zone

You are clutching at straws with such an argument... no team plays all zone on every play, that has already been established. Both the Steelers and Ravens are zone blocking teams, as are the vast majority of teams in the league.

You are clutching at straws with such an argument... no team plays all zone on every play, that has already been established. Both the Steelers and Ravens are zone blocking teams, as are the vast majority of teams in the league.

Right, i get that. My original argument was Mathis could do well in our blocking scheme not how much teams use one blocking scheme or another, I know the majority run multiple schemes. Also, as I said above, I have some trouble deciphering inside zone at times from man

Being wrong about information doesn't mean stuff is made up.

It just means he's wrong.

I doubt anyone here makes stuff up.    

But I have no doubt all of us are wrong about something from time to time -- me, included!

But I have no doubt all of us are wrong about something from time to time -- me, included!

I have no doubt you were wrong in this post.  There are definitely people on here that just make stuff up.  You've been here long enough, you should know that :P lol

And myself as well. The problem is when people act like they're sure of something  when they are not.

Right, i get that. My original argument was Mathis could do well in our blocking scheme not how much teams use one blocking scheme or another, I know the majority run multiple schemes. Also, as I said above, I have some trouble deciphering inside zone at times from man

He would probably do good given his talent, but it's a big change for a 32 year old who never has played in a system like this. He's too expensive for the risk and he would be stupid to come here when it's not a match. I can guarantee he wouldn't be posting the pff numbers he has at the minute in our scheme, that's for sure.

He would probably do good given his talent, but it's a big change for a 32 year old who never has played in a system like this. He's too expensive for the risk and he would be stupid to come here when it's not a match. I can guarantee he wouldn't be posting the pff numbers he has at the minute in our scheme, that's for sure.

your probably right, The talent that would be on both sides of him would have to be taken into account to, An average yet not great LT and either a Center starting in his first season(Holmes) or a journeyman Center in Costa, At the end of the day the risk is to much, lose out on another draft pick...No thanks

your probably right, The talent that would be on both sides of him would have to be taken into account to, An average yet not great LT and either a Center starting in his first season(Holmes) or a journeyman Center in Costa, At the end of the day the risk is to much, lose out on another draft pick...No thanks

Yes he might not post the 40+ pff score but I think we should really want an elite LG playing between a pretty good LT and first year or journeyman C. Remember we're supposed to be a "power running" team, Mathis is the best run blocking G in the NFL, if we have a mediocre to bad offensive line the power running plan turns into a joke.

Yes he might not post the 40+ pff score but I think we should really want an elite LG playing between a pretty good LT and first year or journeyman C. Remember we're supposed to be a "power running" team, Mathis is the best run blocking G in the NFL, if we have a mediocre to bad offensive line the power running plan turns into a joke.

Keep in mind Mathis was a 3rd round O Lineman....So teams didn't look at him a some stud from the start, He became that with solid coaching and by being gifted athletically given his position. If we can find an O Lineman gifted athletically like he is (and they are out there) then if that player has a great work ethic and the coaching is good then that player should turn out to do well...maybe very well....maybe even great. The 2-3 years we would have him may not be worth what we would have to give up for him