Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Evan Mathis on the trading block (merge)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would trade Hugh Thornton for him. Maybe the Eagles would be interested in a young inexpensive guard with some experience. Maybe they can coach him up.

Seriously?  Do people on here not pay attention to the age of these players or not realize that these players start to decline rapidly in their mid 30's?  

I'm just amazed at how many people want to give something up for a guard in his mid 30's that's making 5 million a year and wants more money.  I don't care if the guy is a future hall of famer. . . He's 33 years old this season.

I would trade Hugh Thornton for him. Maybe the Eagles would be interested in a young inexpensive guard with some experience. Maybe they can coach him up.

Why would the Colts NOT be interested in a young, inexpensive guard with some experience that they can coach up?  Especially in exchange for a guy probably in his final years in the NFL?

Seriously? Do people on here not pay attention to the age of these players or not realize that these players start to decline rapidly in their mid 30's?

I'm just amazed at how many people want to give something up for a guard in his mid 30's that's making 5 million a year and wants more money. I don't care if the guy is a future hall of famer. . . He's 33 years old this season.

Thank God there are a few of us here that are capable of using common sense. Trading for a soon to be 33 yr. old guard that is seeking more than his 5.5 mil. A yr. contract is absolutely ludicrous. How people can not understand this is just as ludicrous.

Why would the Colts NOT be interested in a young, inexpensive guard with some experience that they can coach up?  Especially in exchange for a guy probably in his final years in the NFL?

Hugh Thornton was terrible last season. I hope he improves this upcoming season, I really do, but he was flat awful this past season. I would absolutely be interested in upgrading the offensive line with a veteran guard who is NOT on his last legs, that could vastly improve the interior line play. Evan Mathis has more to offer than one year of solid play. Offensive linemen do not decline as fast as other positions.

For insight on Hugh Thornton's stellar play this past season I might suggest reading:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1949461-br-nfl-1000-top-70-guards/page/3

Hugh Thornton was terrible last season. I hope he improves this upcoming season, I really do, but he was flat awful this past season. I would absolutely be interested in upgrading the offensive line with a veteran guard who is NOT on his last legs, that could vastly improve the interior line play. Evan Mathis has more to offer than one year of solid play. Offensive linemen do not decline as fast as other positions.

For insight on Hugh Thornton's stellar play this past season I might suggest reading:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1949461-br-nfl-1000-top-70-guards/page/3

You are way undervaluing Thornton and the progress he made in realized production by the end of the year.  Your comments are stuck in the growing pains portion of his rookie year rather than the forward looking long term career value that I'll bet any GM in the NFL would love to have right now.  I wouldn't trade Thornton for a 3rd round pick let alone Evan Mathis.  He is on track to far exceed the career value average of a 3rd rounder. I want him for the next 10 years and we already invested the rookie experience required to get him there.

You are way undervaluing Thornton and the progress he made in realized production by the end of the year.  Your comments are stuck in the growing pains portion of his rookie year rather than the forward looking long term career value that I'll bet any GM in the NFL would love to have right now.  I wouldn't trade Thornton for a 3rd round pick let alone Evan Mathis.  He is on track to far exceed the career value average of a 3rd rounder. I want him for the next 10 years and we already invested the rookie experience required to get him there.

that he spent playing LG after I believe spending almost, if not all of his time during TC and preseason at RG.

Today he's an outstanding O-lineman.  Given that he's 33 he'll likely be nothing more then a warm body in 2 or 3 years.

It's true he's at the tail end of his career, but I think it's still pretty likely he has 2 more pro bowl caliber years in him. I just feel that this team is in a position where adding a guy like Mathis might make us the best offense in the NFL next year. I wouldn't want to mortgage our teams entire future on him or anything but I think a 3rd round pick is a reasonable cost for Mathis. If we did that and picked up a versatile DB in the second round of the draft I think we'll be in a really good position for the next 2 seasons at least.

that he spent playing LG after I believe spending almost, if not all of his time during TC and preseason at RG.

His problems had nothing to do with which Guard spot he played in my opinion, He played 18 games at LG in college so he has had plenty of experience playing LG and O Linemen are moved around at TC sometimes anyway. His problems had to do with recognizing Stunts and technique moreso then LG or RG, He is capable of both.

He benched 35 reps at the Combine and squats ALOT http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/8531/evan-mathis

He would fit great, Just because he is in a zone scheme doesn't mean he is strictly a zone O Linemen, Heck just because an O Lineman is in a particular blocking scheme that doesn't mean he should even be in that scheme. Mathis is scheme versatile

It does not come down to strength... It is down to technique and what you excel at. Mathis has been successful through great pulling and foot movement. Asking him to come into our scheme, strong enough or not, is asking him to completely change how he plays the position.

It does not come down to strength... It is down to technique and what you excel at. Mathis has been successful through great pulling and foot movement. Asking him to come into our scheme, strong enough or not, is asking him to completely change how he plays the position.

Im not the one that said he wasn't strong enough, I didn't bring up strength in the first place until Balzer did. I stated a fact, He is plenty strong enough. No, asking him to come into our scheme is not asking him to completely change how he plays the position(Mike Mcglynn....yes I know he stunk.....played for the Eagles in a Zone scheme and Grigson picked him up to play in a Power scheme, Its pretty common for players to play in multiple schemes in there career). He would still be asked to pull, He would still be asked to get to the 2nd level, He'd still be asked to block 1 on 1. It comes down to physical skill set. It comes down to skill set and fundamentals after learning the playbook and he clearly has both

Some of you people apparently don't even watch football.

With Donald's contract, and Mathia' that would be like a $10 million cap hit for a guard and a backup..

We need a cheaper option.. Maybe Louis can fill the void just until Donald is ready to roll.

Mathis would be replacing Thornton.

Just because he wants more money doesn't mean he's going to get it.  He has a very reasonable contract and, at 32, no real leverage.  Doubtful he would sit out and turn down $5.5M at 33.  I don't think the contract demands should even enter into the equation -- he's probably not getting a raise from anybody.

I'd be for getting him for the next 2 or 3 years.  We are contenders now, why not address the weakest position on the team with a player who has consistently played at a high level for the past 3 years and only missed one game in that time.

None of those players were the best at their position for the last three years. The majority were either battling serious injuries, or left as FAs.

I get moving Jackson, but Mathis is a different story.

I don't get how you get moving Jackson. They re-signed Cooper but won't keep Jackson?

How does that make sense? Jackson is better than Cooper & Chip Kelly runs a spread offense that's a perfect fit for Jackson.

Im not the one that said he wasn't strong enough, I didn't bring up strength in the first place until Balzer did. I stated a fact, He is plenty strong enough. No, asking him to come into our scheme is not asking him to completely change how he plays the position(Mike Mcglynn....yes I know he stunk.....played for the Eagles in a Zone scheme and Grigson picked him up to play in a Power scheme, Its pretty common for players to play in multiple schemes in there career). He would still be asked to pull, He would still be asked to get to the 2nd level, He'd still be asked to block 1 on 1. It comes down to physical skill set. It comes down to skill set and fundamentals after learning the playbook and he clearly has both

Gavin, you continually post buzzwords and generic stats with little or no contextualizations, this is another case.

Mathis could probably come here and do okay, but he is not a scheme-fit, he has not played in a system like this in his career, and it is not a small shift in the playbook, it is an entire shift in blocking philisophy and technique. If you want to downplay the difference between the two, fine... but I know better. Yes, O-Linemen do change schemes throughout their career, but lets look at this logically... Mathis is 33, never played in a scheme like this before, and is due £5.5 million cap hit... why would anyone take a risk like that? I doubt Mathis would, and I doubt Grigson would, it would scream desperation.

Great example with McGlynn by the way... he made the trasition perfectly... he failed in both schemes.

There are very few teams who even used power man-blocking in the run game anymore, and the 49ers are probably the only team who do is successfully (although the Packers did a lot of that last year with some success). But it is still a strong staple of the college game, which is probably why Grigson has not signed any big name free agents and prefers to develop drafted players in this system long term. Though few, if any teams ever used zone-blocking in short-yardage situations because the blockers will often just get blown of their line due to the bucket-steps. So essentially, we line our O-Line up in short yardage situations consistently... this is not where guys like Mathis thrive.

Conclusion: Mathis is a gap, zone blocker, who thrives on pulls and traps and superior footwork. To ask him to turn into a power-man, short yardage type player at 33 is just crazy.

P.S. I am talking specially about run-blocking here, he would be fine in pass protection.

Gavin, you continually post buzzwords and generic stats with little or no contextualizations, this is another case.

Mathis could probably come here and do okay, but he is not a scheme-fit, he has not played in a system like this in his career, and it is not a small shift in the playbook, it is an entire shift in blocking philisophy and technique. If you want to downplay the difference between the two, fine... but I know better. Yes, O-Linemen do change schemes throughout their career, but lets look at this logically... Mathis is 33, never played in a scheme like this before, and is due £5.5 million cap hit... why would anyone take a risk like that? I doubt Mathis would, and I doubt Grigson would, it would scream desperation.

Great example with McGlynn by the way... he made the trasition perfectly... he failed in both schemes.

There are very few teams who even used power man-blocking in the run game anymore, and the 49ers are probably the only team who do is successfully (although the Packers did a lot of that last year with some success). But it is still a strong staple of the college game, which is probably why Grigson has not signed any big name free agents and prefers to develop drafted players in this system long term. Though few, if any teams ever used zone-blocking in short-yardage situations because the blockers will often just get blown of their line due to the bucket-steps. So essentially, we line our O-Line up in short yardage situations consistently... this is not where guys like Mathis thrive.

Conclusion: Mathis is a gap, zone blocker, who thrives on pulls and traps and superior footwork. To ask him to turn into a power-man, short yardage type player at 33 is just crazy.

P.S. I am talking specially about run-blocking here, he would be fine in pass protection.

Very well said!

Of course Mcglynn failed in both schemes......He played with bad technique  and isn't as physically gifted as Mathis....He didn't fail because of the scheme itself though I dont think the scheme played to his strength...He would have still sucked in a Zone Scheme, I never said there wont be some transition, there always in whem being asked to take on a new blocking scheme and to learn to block with for other O Linemen, I acknowledge that, I also agree at 32 it would not be a good idea but not because he cant work in the scheme....He can...and well. Actually SEVERAL teams use the Man/Power scheme to so degree and we also use some Zone and Gap schemes so we dont use 100% Power. We use a variety of blocking schemes. Outside zone/Inside Zone/Man Blocking/Traps/Sweeps/We pull our guards......He would do well, We have plenty of pulling and trapping. Also Khaled Holmes is another example of an O linemen  who fits better in a Zone scheme yet was drafted to play in a Power scheme...Though as I said we use a variety of other concepts, Sure he is younger I know but his strength is not Man Blocking, Its moving around on pulls/traps and all that

Of course Mcglynn failed in both schemes......He played with bad technique  and isn't as physically gifted as Mathis....He didn't fail because of the scheme itself though I dont think the scheme played to his strength...He would have still sucked in a Zone Scheme, I never said there wont be some transition, there always in whem being asked to take on a new blocking scheme and to learn to block with for other O Linemen, I acknowledge that, I also agree at 32 it would not be a good idea but not because he cant work in the scheme....He can...and well. Actually SEVERAL teams use the Man/Power scheme to so degree and we also use some Zone and Gap schemes so we dont use 100% Power. We use a variety of blocking schemes. Outside zone/Inside Zone/Man Blocking/Traps/Sweeps/We pull our guards......He would do well, We have plenty of pulling and trapping. Also Khaled Holmes is another example of an O linemen  who fits better in a Zone scheme yet was drafted to play in a Power scheme...Though as I said we use a variety of other concepts, Sure he is younger I know but his strength is not Man Blocking, Its moving around on pulls/traps and all that

We also have a zone read play, it doesn't mean you sign an aging zone read QB. We do not do as much zone/gap stuff as you claim, our staple is very much power man, short yardage type blocking (unfortuantely). You assertion that Mathis would excel here is completely basless. He became the best Guard in the league doing what he does, he has a 5.5mill cap hit and will probaly get more next season... it does not make sense for the Colts and it does not makes sense for him to come into a system where he would not be a natural fit.

For a 33 year old guard? You're insane

Anyone remember Fredd Young? Someone (I can't remember who ... ahem) gave up 2 first round picks for a past-his-prime linebacker. That was insane. For Evan Mathis, I'd give no draft picks, 10+ year vet minimum + $20,000, and a box top from Metamucil.

We also have a zone read play, it doesn't mean you sign an aging zone read QB. We do not do as much zone/gap stuff as you claim, our staple is very much power man, short yardage type blocking (unfortuantely). You assertion that Mathis would excel here is completely basless. He became the best Guard in the league doing what he does, he has a 5.5mill cap hit and will probaly get more next season... it does not make sense for the Colts and it does not makes sense for him to come into a system where he would not be a natural fit.

We also have a zone read play, it doesn't mean you sign an aging zone read QB"

Why would we do that when we have 2 QB's that are capable of performing that Zone Read play? I never claimed we did alot of the Zone/Gap blocking...Just that we do it a fair amount....Yes our scheme is very much power/man......I also agree that its unfortunate. My assertion is not baseless at all...Its based on watching film on him and his ability to open up holes in the run game using Man Blocking. Whether you realize it or not  every team int he league uses Man/Power blocking to a varying degree even if some run more Zone (not nearly as many as you claaim.think)...What makes it not a very good idea however is that he is 32 years old and not a long term solution just a damn good band aid for 3-4 years...But I dont like the band aid approach unless its absolutely necessary...I however dont think it is.

Why would we do that when we have 2 QB's that are capable of performing that Zone Read play? I never claimed we did alot of the Zone/Gap blocking...Just that we do it a fair amount....Yes our scheme is very much power/man......I also agree that its unfortunate. My assertion is not baseless at all...Its based on watching film on him and his ability to open up holes in the run game using Man Blocking. Whether you realize it or not  every team int he league uses Man/Power blocking to a varying degree even if some run more Zone (not nearly as many as you claaim.think)...What makes it not a very good idea however is that he is 32 years old and not a long term solution just a damn good band aid for 3-4 years...But I dont like the band aid approach unless its absolutely necessary...I however dont think it is.

You think a 32-year old guard is a darn good band aid for 3-4 years? 

Really?    Seriously?

You think they're a lot of quality OL playing at a high level at age 34 and 35?     I don't.

HIs price is too expensive and he's too old.  Plus we'd have to trade for him to acquire him.    All in all, a very bad combination.    This is a pipe dream.     It's never going to happen.....

You think a 32-year old guard is a darn good band aid for 3-4 years? 

Really?    Seriously?

You think they're a lot of quality OL playing at a high level at age 34 and 35?     I don't.

HIs price is too expensive and he's too old.  Plus we'd have to trade for him to acquire him.    All in all, a very bad combination.    This is a pipe dream.     It's never going to happen.....

Several O Linemen have played very well into their mid 30's( I dont see whats so hard to comprehend about that, Bruce Matthews, Johnathan Goodwin, Alan Faneca, Matt Birk), I also dont recall saying I'd be all in for it. I dont know what his price is but at 32 I wouldn't want him BUT he could come in and solidify the LG. What do you think D'qwll Jackson is at one of our ILB spots? Certainly not a long term solution...A band aid who can hopefully come in and play well likely at most 2 years and teach some young buck how to play, This happens alot in the NFL

Several O Linemen have played very well into their mid 30's( I dont see whats so hard to comprehend about that, Bruce Matthews, Johnathan Goodwin, Alan Faneca, Matt Birk), I also dont recall saying I'd be all in for it. I dont know what his price is but at 32 I wouldn't want him BUT he could come in and solidify the LG. What do you think D'qwll Jackson is at one of our ILB spots? Certainly not a long term solution...A band aid who can hopefully come in and play well likely at most 2 years and teach some young buck how to play, This happens alot in the NFL

First,  D'Qwell is two years younger.   He's 30.

Second,  as I noted,  Mathis is expensive for a guard,  he's $5mill+

Third,  here's the biggest expense,  he's owned by Philly.    We'd have to give up a draft pick or player to get him.

It's not happening.    

Evan Mathis has been Pro Football Focus’ highest rated guard for 3 years in a row.

From Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller:

The highest-graded run-blocker in our 2014 series, Mathis is excellent in space. He’s often asked to move down the line and does so with a composed balance and great understanding of space and timing. If asked to pull and hit an outside linebacker, Mathis shows off his speed, aggressiveness and accuracy in getting to his man. He dominates at the second level with his quick first step and a tenacity in locking his hands on a defender.

So I gather from Anton that if he were asked to block in a “power scheme,” he turns into a baby.  And if he plays out his contract at 5M a year for the next 3 years, and he slips from being the best guard in the NFL to maybe the 5th best, what a terrible investment.  It's all about the scheme, right? The player's abilities mean nothing. 

Third,  here's the biggest expense,  he's owned by Philly.    We'd have to give up a draft pick or player to get him.

It's not happening.    

Still...As to Jackson he is by no means a long term solution...Thats why only 2 years is guaranteed. On average Mathis is the 14th highest paid Guard, $5,100,000 is a small price to pay to be able to run the ball.....Not even close to elite money at the position, His current deal is paying him $25,500,000.00. If I had a guess...and this is just a guess.... he is looking for somewhere in the 6.5-8 mill range per year for 3-4 years...Thats top ten money at Guard......well deserved as well......Would I do it? No, we need our draft picks and it would cost us likely our 2nd rounder....Mathis was a 3rd round draft pick....I think if our scouting department is good as they should be in regards to finding O Line talent and Grigson is to then we should be able to do what the Panthers originally did and thats find an elite physical talent who with the proper coaching can become at least a very good player....maybe even great...In Mathis case he became elite. Im not advocating signing him by any means, Im just simply saying he would be just fine playing in Indy in the Power scheme. Also...and this is just a 'what if' situation.....he had questions about where the direction of the franchise is going...with the Jackson trade rumors......Maybe he is looking for more guaranteed money(My guess is he wants more guaranteed money) so that makes it a bit more difficult for the Eagles to move on...Mathis is only making 7 mill in guaranteed money ......and with him being 32 he is likely realizing he could be next if they are willing to trade a much younger Jackson

It's not happening.    

Mathis is good enough such that he'd be worth giving up a 3rd rounder for imo. It's not like he's a 32/33 year old running back, he's a guard. He's probably got a couple more pro-bowl seasons in him before he retires. I don't know why everyone's acting like he's 36. He's been the best guard in the NFL over the past few seasons and would greatly improve our offense, especially in the running game (which is what Pagano/Pep want to be what our offense is based around). He'll also help keep Andrew Luck on his feet. I'd be thrilled if we picked him up.

But at the end of the day, I agree with you on the most important thing - I also highly doubt it happens. 

Mathis is good enough such that he'd be worth giving up a 3rd rounder for imo. It's not like he's a 32/33 year old running back, he's a guard. He's probably got a couple more pro-bowl seasons in him before he retires. I don't know why everyone's acting like he's 36. He's been the best guard in the NFL over the past few seasons and would greatly improve our offense, especially in the running game (which is what Pagano/Pep want to be what our offense is based around). He'll also help keep Andrew Luck on his feet. I'd be thrilled if we picked him up.

But at the end of the day, I agree with you on the most important thing - I also highly doubt it happens. 

Well....   there's the difference between us....

You'd give up a 3 for him....

I would struggle giving up a 5 for him.     I'm very stingy over parting with my draft picks.

By the way,  I want to be clear....  I'm NOT saying I'm right and you're wrong. (thought it might seem like it!)

I'm only saying we have a different approach.    That's all.

To clarify my post, I too think this trade will not happen, so we will never know who is right.  Maybe he signs with Denver and goes to the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl; maybe he retires.  Ryan Grigson has made it pretty clear that he is done with free agency and is looking forward to the draft.

Wrong. Few use power-man as their base, fewer use it effectively.