Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Evan Mathis on the trading block (merge)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that if all of us on this forum beg and say please...that we could convince Grigson to make a move for him? Would be really nice to have a pro bowl interior lineman...especially since Grigson has already said Thomas needs more strength in his recovering lower body...and Thornton is a 2nd year player...the depth alone would be nice to have!

Great player... not a scheme fit based on what we did last year.

However, given our failure at the man blocking power-scheme, and the fact the we have a potentially great one-cut runner in Trent Richardson, I would love to see us over-haul our O-Line scheme to incorporate more zone-blocking, pulling type stuff. Will never happen though, that and Mathis are both pipe dreams.

5.15 million dollar cap hit to us if we take him on a trade.  Next year it's 5.5 million.  2016 is 6 million.  

(Presuming a standard deal where the eagles take the cap hit on the bonus money.)

I don't know anything about him. . . We could afford it though from a cap perspective.

My problem is that if he's that good of a player they are probably gonna be wanting a 2nd or a 3rd.  And those are picks I'm not feeling particularly in the mood to part with.  

5.15 million dollar cap hit to us if we take him on a trade.  Next year it's 5.5 million.  2016 is 6 million.  

(Presuming a standard deal where the eagles take the cap hit on the bonus money.)

I don't know anything about him. . . We could afford it though from a cap perspective.

My problem is that if he's that good of a player they are probably gonna be wanting a 2nd or a 3rd.  And those are picks I'm not feeling particularly in the mood to part with.  

sounds like a gamble that only Seattle, SF, Denver or NE should take....

Colts are still building...

Plus he wants a raise.....

3216.jpg

The Eagles have placed LG Evan Mathis on the trade block.

The story has been reported by both NFL Network and the Philly Inquirer. Both outlets report Mathis wants a raise on his scheduled $5 million salary. Mathis was a first-team All-Pro selection in 2013 and has been one of the best guards in football the past three seasons. Mathis saw LT Jason Peters and C Jason Kelce get extensions earlier this offseason, and apparently felt snubbed when his contract wasn't addressed. Mathis is entering his age-33 season.

Significant doubts that a 275lb Guard is in our plans.  Works there for completely different scheme reasons - not here.

I'm just curious where you got the 275 number?  NFL.com has him listed at 298.  Still on the light side for guard, but not exactly tiny.

Oh Good Grief, when I first read the title I "thought" is said Even Mathis is on the trading block, and I thought it meant Robert.

:whew: glad I read further.. haha

Yeah, we just put Robert on the trade block

Imagine the forum reaction if that happened

:Nuke: :nuke:

I'm just curious where you got the 275 number?  NFL.com has him listed at 298.  Still on the light side for guard, but not exactly tiny.

Putting any stock in my number of 275 makes about as much sense as believing NFL.com's # for Vince Wilfork @ 325.  Joe Staley is listed at 315 and was quoted last year saying he hasn't weighed over 300# for years. I don't know and don't really care what Mathis weighs, that isn't the point.  He probably isn't the type of guard we are looking for in this version of the Colts, even if we were in the market.  There are very few teams in the NFL where Mathis fits as well as where he is at - especially at that age.

Putting any stock in my number of 275 makes about as much sense as believing NFL.com's # for Vince Wilfork @ 325.  Joe Staley is listed at 315 and was quoted last year saying he hasn't weighed over 300# for years. I don't know and don't really care what Mathis weighs, that isn't the point.  He probably isn't the type of guard we are looking for in this version of the Colts, even if we were in the market.  There are very few teams in the NFL where Mathis fits as well as where he is at - especially at that age.

Why doesn't he fit here? Because he's actually good?

Why doesn't he fit here? Because he's actually good?

Exactly! We don't want or need good offensive linemen here...instead, we will use injured, inexperienced and below average interior linemen...but we are still a smash mouth run first team...but never fear, Pagano said that he plans to have Fleener block more! :P

Plus he wants a raise.....

3216.jpg

The Eagles have placed LG Evan Mathis on the trade block.

The story has been reported by both NFL Network and the Philly Inquirer. Both outlets report Mathis wants a raise on his scheduled $5 million salary. Mathis was a first-team All-Pro selection in 2013 and has been one of the best guards in football the past three seasons. Mathis saw LT Jason Peters and C Jason Kelce get extensions earlier this offseason, and apparently felt snubbed when his contract wasn't addressed. Mathis is entering his age-33 season.

Oh geez he's 33 years old and wants more money.  PASS!!!!

If he was content with his current contract he might be worth a 6th so as to have a good stopgap type of player.  

But I don't want a guy on the roster who's 33 years old, making 5 million and going to hold out for more money.  

And I'm certainly not interested in trading any picks in the first 4 rounds.  

Isn't 275 small for a Guard in a man blocking scheme?

JJ Watt would destroy him if they lined Watt up inside imo

275 seems like a zone blocking lineman

275 is bull%. Regardless, Evan Mathis has been one of the best run blocking (and overall) OGs in the NFL for the past 3+ years.

PFFs top rated (#1) OG the last 3 years. That's some damn good consistency.