Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

As needs get addressed, every issue slides up one and new issues get added to the bottom for the 1st time. Well, G Toler needs a discussion.

Outside of me acting like a spoiled Colts fan over A Mack, I can see how we will address our other 2 big holes. Seems like we are looking to address Safety and OLB in the draft. Being we didn't have a 1st, we wanted to have most of our business addressed so we were not stuck trying to do too much with a late round pick. I think that's why we picked up P Costa. 

With that said, I don't understand why what G Toler gave us last year isn't a problem. Most ppl say "he's good when he's healthy".....ok, isn't he suppose to be. My issue is an injury-prone guy coming in, only played in 7 gms is an issure. Unfortunately, not the biggest issue moving forward. Yes, missing all but 7 gms as our #2 CB in our press man-to-man scheme is bad, but the fact he is too slow to play press-man without Safety help hurts our overall defense.

So I ask, how much of G Toler's bad play was due to him playing hurt? And if it was, that's almost worse because it means 1) he should have missed more time and 2! he is conscious about his reputation and would rather play hurt than just get himself right for the team. Either way, I can't trust him and we need "competition" for the #2 and #3 CB spot.

As needs get addressed, every issue slides up one and new issues get added to the bottom for the 1st time. Well, G Toler needs a discussion.

Outside of me acting like a spoiled Colts fan over A Mack, I can see how we will address our other 2 big holes. Seems like we are looking to address Safety and OLB in the draft. Being we didn't have a 1st, we wanted to have most of our business addressed so we were not stuck trying to do too much with a late round pick. I think that's why we picked up P Costa. 

With that said, I don't understand why what G Toler gave us last year isn't a problem. Most ppl say "he's good when he's healthy".....ok, isn't he suppose to be. My issue is an injury-prone guy coming in, only played in 7 gms is an issure. Unfortunately, not the biggest issue moving forward. Yes, missing all but 7 gms as our #2 CB in our press man-to-man scheme is bad, but the fact he is too slow to play press-man without Safety help hurts our overall defense.

So I ask, how much of G Toler's bad play was due to him playing hurt? And if it was, that's almost worse because it means 1) he should have missed more time and 2! he is conscious about his reputation and would rather play hurt than just get himself right for the team. Either way, I can't trust him and we need "competition" for the #2 and #3 CB spot.

When Toler was healthy, our defense was much better.   Ranked very highly. 

When Toler got hurt, our defense went down hill...   fast.     Ranked very poorly.

I believe the coaching staff thinks there's a connection to those events.

I hope he is cut cause he was burned a lot last season.

When Toler was healthy, our defense was much better.   Ranked very highly. 

When Toler got hurt, our defense went down hill...   fast.     Ranked very poorly.

I believe the coaching staff thinks there's a connection to those events.

Toler has good plays and he does get burned also just like VDavis does also I have issues w/our 2dary getting burned w/ the big plays and also w/ us getting torched by the short screen pass also we always got burned by that short pass,,,,,,,,,,,,I think in the draft we get a Safety ,,,,,,,,,,WR,,,,,,,,,OL or DL,,,,,,,,,,,,,I bet we get a WR or Safety w/ our #1 pick 59th in 2nd round...............I'd love to get Pryor he is a Beast

Cut? That seems like a double negative. I mean he's under contract, you gotta see how he bounces back, plus, it seems we plan on scoring more on OFF this year so that will help the DEF some I imagine.

I have the same concerns with Toler. This is the NFL. If a player cant stay healthy they should be replaced IMO. We could have cut Toler, and signed someone like Antonio Cromartie for about the same amount. I do think we'll draft a CB in the 3rd though. Maybe they can step up once Toler inevitably goes down. I wish SJB, McGill, or Desir would be there in the 3rd. Any of those guys would be a good pickup.

Not really sure what you are saying because I already said what I wanted to say and if you feel the topic is below your level of importance, then why are you provoking conversation. Forgive me, i'm easily confused.

Brian is often confusing, in his own charming way!    But if I had to guess I'd say the topic of Toler has been discussed over and over and over again.

So,  when you come along wanting to talk about it,  I think Brian is saying Toler has been talked about almost to death.

Not your fault.    You clearly didn't know that.   

But I think that's why Brian wrote what he did......    Just my hunch....   and I'm sure Brian will correct me if I'm wrong.....

I have the same concerns with Toler. This is the NFL. If a player cant stay healthy they should be replaced IMO. We could have cut Toler, and signed someone like Antonio Cromartie for about the same amount. I do think we'll draft a CB in the 3rd though. Maybe they can step up once Toler inevitably goes down. I wish SJB, McGill, or Desir would be there in the 3rd. Any of those guys would be a good pickup.

You're stuck in the past. Cromartie sucked last year and he will be hurt and suck again this year.

You're stuck in the past. Cromartie sucked last year and he will be hurt and suck again this year.

Yeah, Cromartie was pretty bad last year, and I was just using him as an example. He was the first guy I thought of that wouldn't command 9 or 10 million per. I do think he could have a bounce back season with a new team, and would probably be at least as good as Toler. JMO.

Brian is often confusing, in his own charming way!    But if I had to guess I'd say the topic of Toler has been discussed over and over and over again.

So,  when you come along wanting to talk about it,  I think Brian is saying Toler has been talked about almost to death.

But I think that's why Brian wrote what he did......    Just my hunch....   and I'm sure Brian will correct me if I'm wrong.....

Cool either way, I personally haven't been involved in any G Toler discussions so I didn't know and I totally understand where he's coming from. But, the conversation was moving in a positive manner so the perceived negative comment seemed unnecessary. I have read plenty of OP's that were topics I felt unnecessary, but I just respectfully keep it moving to avoid conflict.

I will be more conscious of my topics moving forward.   

Cool either way, I personally haven't been involved in any G Toler discussions so I didn't know and I totally understand where he's coming from. But, the conversation was moving in a positive manner so the perceived negative comment seemed unnecessary. I have read plenty of OP's that were topics I felt unnecessary, but I just respectfully keep it moving to avoid conflict.

I will be more conscious of my topics moving forward.   

Hey....   no worries.    Don't over-think this so you're not posting what you want to post.

Say what you want.    If no one wants to respond,  that's their choice.   Free market place and all that.....

Post away.....   the message boards are here to enjoy!    :thmup:

Please also discuss V Davis, the 8Td`s he gave up because HE is to slow while you are at it. Thanks.

I do feel your Pain. Is the $5M paid to Toler the right way to go this season. Odds are NO!

you think SJB will fall into the 3rd round?...

He was pretty solid up until the hamstring issue. Given how bad our pass rush was, you can't put much on the cornerbacks. Our pass rush was horrendous. A good pass rush can make an average cornerback look very good.

Other then C i think CB is the biggest need on the team. Toler is injury prone has been most of his career. He wasn't that good before the injury and was a lot worse after. Mike Wallace, Eric Decker, Denarius Moore, and Donnie Avery all had good games against him and he was bad in the Chargers game. I don't think he'll be on the roster after next year because he can't stay healthy and he's more of a slot CB. I'm much less concerned with Howell starting at FS then i am Toler playing well and making it more then 8 games. 

We could definitely use an upgrade over Toler and this is a good draft of CB's. Keith Mcgill and Pierre Desir would be good options in the 2nd. 

A CB I'd really like in the 3rd would be E.J. Gaines.  He is a solid press corner who has some ball skills.  Since Toler is in a 3yr contract, you have to keep him.  He makes a difference when he is in.  I'd take the risk he could stay healthy until you already have someone who can replace him.

I personally dont think he is the answer going forward at #2 but that has nothing to do with his 4.45 speed, He lacks discipline when being targeted.I dont think cutting him is the answer yet because ya have nothing right now to fill that #2 slot and even if you draft a Corner they usually take time to develop. I say if we draft a Corner then send Marcus Burley or Sheldon Price packin and have the drafted Corner compete for the #2 slot that way you upgraded your depth with Toler if he loses while also finding a better #2 Corner. Then come next year if Grigs feels like it then find more depth with upside at Corner to challenge Tolers spot on the depth chart (though he only has 2 more years on his deal)

I hope he gets better I want to see this preseason what he has to offer the colts not that I think he was really that bad last years preseason but he just needed time to develop.

That seems to be the theme with every un-heard of FA that Grigson brings in. People are always counting on random guys from the trenches to produce. I wouldn't count on it. People here really put too much stock in guys that are average or mediocre. Like Montori Hughes isn't just going to be a Pro-Bowl DT just because Grigson moved up for him. And the people who are thinking Adongo is going to be 10+sack monster need to relax as well.

I think it goes without saying a CB needs to be drafted at some point in the draft. Hell I'd trust the development of an injured Aaron Colvin over anyone we have on the roster, including Toler.

I was really concerned with his health but for what we are paying him...is equivilant to a #2 cb....we see how big the contracts have been for corners. I think we are rolling the dice he stays somewhat healthy...and Gordy and others played decent in his place. I would love to upgrade ALL our positions but it simply isn't an option. If he has a similar year than I'm sure we would cut him. I like our corners when they are healthy...I think Vontae was a little dinged up as well at the end of the year. We will just have to see how it all turns out but Butler looked ok in the slot and I thought Gordy could play in dime situations and come in if someone is dinged up. To get better it would take big money...and I don't see anyone out there that would be worth paying that to. Antonio Cromartie has the gifts to be a great but it would be just as risky if he will bounce back. A 1 yr flier is all we could risk and I don't think it really SOLVES anything. Perhaps we draft someone..that would be my choice and go with what we have.

Any word on his surgery looked and couldn't find anything did they just fix groin or did they work on his sports hernia also ? I think he played well before the groin injury really with no help from the either safety . 

That seems to be the theme with every un-heard of FA that Grigson brings in. People are always counting on random guys from the trenches to produce. I wouldn't count on it. People here really put too much stock in guys that are average or mediocre. Like Montori Hughes isn't just going to be a Pro-Bowl DT just because Grigson moved up for him. And the people who are thinking Adongo is going to be 10+sack monster need to relax as well.

I think it goes without saying a CB needs to be drafted at some point in the draft. Hell I'd trust the development of an injured Aaron Colvin over anyone we have on the roster, including Toler.

you never know he couldn't do much worst than Vaughn who im glad the colts are not bringing back.