Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you think Grigson's plan is for..

The FS and C positions moving forward? Who do you think he'll sign or will we try to fix these in the draft (a risky move as we have no 1st, but after that 2012 draft class you can't doubt his ability to find starters later)

And do you think we will sign someone at a different position? Any ideas?

This is just a way to try to twiddle my thumbs as we wait.. Want to gauge everyone's expectations!

Jonathan Goodwin is a possibillity as a stop-gap to see what we have in Holmes at center.

I think we will probably address safety in the draft, hopefully.

WE may pick up a NT in FA at some point as well.

Just as a recap:

Colts had a confirmed interest in C Hawley and NT Paul Soliai before they signed with other teams. 

especially when they only gave Holmes 12 plays last year.. . even with our injured Line... makes me wonder if they think he will be anything more than a back up..

I don't think the centers in this years draft are plug and play/starters ... more of 2-3 years down the road

Jonathan Goodwin is a possibillity as a stop-gap to see what we have in Holmes at center.

Just as a recap:

Colts had a confirmed interest in C Hawley and NT Paul Soliai before they signed with other teams.

Hawley signed elsewhere? Ouch.. Had no idea!

At safety, I'm not sure if we'll draft a safety, sign a FA, or both. Maybe Champ Bailey on a one year deal and draft either Terrence Brooks in the 2nd or Ed Reynolds in the 3rd? That'd be interesting. And who better for a young player to learn from?

The center market is running thin with Mack on the transition tag and a couple mid-tier guys already gone. Goodwin wasn't very good in pass protection last year. De La Puente is probably going to be over priced. I've gotta wonder what Grigson has up his sleeve. As far as Holmes goes, yeah I'm not holding my breath on the dude ever being a starter based on last year. How he couldn't crack that awful interior O-line lineup is beyond me.

I think Center has to be addressed in Free Agency. You don't get starters at Center in the draft. If he can't find anyone, I think he'll rool with Reitz and maybe draft a Center late if they don't see anything in Holmes.

If we don't get a FS in FA, that will probably be addressed in the draft. Ed Reynolds in the 3rd, or 4th if we can get some trades. Terrance Brooks also a possibility. Maybe we'll look at Travis Swanson or Bryan Stork in the draft as draft options.

At safety, I'm not sure if we'll draft a safety, sign a FA, or both. Maybe Champ Bailey on a one year deal and draft either Terrence Brooks in the 2nd or Ed Reynolds in the 3rd? That'd be interesting. And who better for a young player to learn from?

The center market is running thin with Mack on the transition tag and a couple mid-tier guys already gone. Goodwin wasn't very good in pass protection last year. De La Puente is probably going to be over priced. I've gotta wonder what Grigson has up his sleeve. As far as Holmes goes, yeah I'm not holding my breath on the dude ever being a starter based on last year. How he couldn't crack that awful interior O-line lineup is beyond me.

How you don`t understand Pagano`s commitment to HIS Chosen Veteran center is beyond me.

Thornton was Bad, McGlynn Bad, and it didn`t matter if A Proven better Reitz was available. Nixon came in and played the best game at guard we saw for the season and went right back to the bench. Our O-Line has been managed by what looks like ______so far. But it is time to wipe the slate and see how THEIR plan comes together.

I'm really starting to wonder if the plan at center is to go with a competition between Khaled Holmes and Thomas Austin, with Donald Thomas being a fallback option should neither step up.  The only reason I suspect this is that we've already spent a lot of money, and Safety is a bigger priority if we have more $ to spend...

I think Center has to be addressed in Free Agency. You don't get starters at Center in the draft. If he can't find anyone, I think he'll rool with Reitz and maybe draft a Center late if they don't see anything in Holmes.

If we don't get a FS in FA, that will probably be addressed in the draft. Ed Reynolds in the 3rd, or 4th if we can get some trades. Terrance Brooks also a possibility. Maybe we'll look at Travis Swanson or Bryan Stork in the draft as draft options.

Has Reitz ever played Center?

How you don`t understand Pagano`s commitment to HIS Chosen Veteran center is beyond me.

Thornton was Bad, McGlynn Bad, and it didn`t matter if A Proven better Reitz was available. Nixon came in and played the best game at guard we saw for the season and went right back to the bench. Our O-Line has been managed by what looks like ______so far. But it is time to wipe the slate and see how THEIR plan comes together.

Yeah Reitz played better than the McGlynn and Thronton and it isn't all about Satele. Holmes could've beaten them out at guard in theory anyways. I just hope we can bring in someone who's good. 

The FS and C positions moving forward? Who do you think he'll sign or will we try to fix these in the draft (a risky move as we have no 1st, but after that 2012 draft class you can't doubt his ability to find starters later)

And do you think we will sign someone at a different position? Any ideas?

This is just a way to try to twiddle my thumbs as we wait.. Want to gauge everyone's expectations!

I believe we have no first and no fourth round pick. I am not expecting anything great in the draft.

Hawley signed elsewhere? Ouch.. Had no idea!

As info, Hawley re-signed with the Falcons.

Really wondering about center....I am not really fond of DS or De La Puente myself, but after what I have seen since Saturday....they will look like All Pros....

This draft is so deep, Grigs will make the late rounds work...AND UFA!!! :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass: !!!

I have a bad bad feeling regarding our Offensive Line. In a nightmare last night Grigson made McGlynn the starting center and drafted an OG in the late rounds and then I saw Luck constantly runnig for his life again, eating turf like a sheep.... Actually we need a serious upgrade and long term solution even if it means to invest serious dollars! 

I have a bad bad feeling regarding our Offensive Line. In a nightmare last night Grigson made McGlynn the starting center and drafted an OG in the late rounds and then I saw Luck constantly runnig for his life again, eating turf like a sheep.... Actually we need a serious upgrade and long term solution even if it means to invest serious dollars! 

I think you should have been counting sheep instead of blitz packages :)

counting-sheep.jpg

Just as a recap:

Goodwin will be 36 during the season...got an AARP card ready?  1 yr deal?  Rated better than De La Puente...what was Dietrich-smith rated?  May not matter...looks like he will sign with the NY Giants.

Lets look at this as the big picture.  Coaches and GM's prefer "their guys" to "the other guys-guys".

They replaced the other guys guys (Angerer and Conner) with their guy DQ.

They did not re-sign the other guys safety (Bethea)

They did not re-sign the other guys running back (Brown)

They re-signed their guy, the one they traded for two years ago (Davis)

They brought in their guy (Jones) who will likely cost the other guys guy (RMatthews) his roster spot.

Sure, they re-signed the punter and the kicker, and Moala, but most others are "their guys"

Holmes, Thomas Austin, and Delano Howell are all "their guys".  Grigson/Pagano may have liked what they saw when they were in college and the limited time as a pro, and feel they can play how they want them to play in their offense and defense. 

Grigson may not be in a big rush to sign any Center or FS and just roll with what we have there.  Then draft BPA.   Maybe wait until training camp to add veteran to these positions if its really needed.

Lets look at this as the big picture.  Coaches and GM's prefer "their guys" to "the other guys-guys".

They did not re-sign the other guys safety (Bethea)

They re-signed their guy, the one they traded for two years ago (Davis)

They brought in their guy (Jones) who will likely cost the other guys guy (RMatthews) his roster spot.

Sure, they re-signed the punter and the kicker, and Moala, but most others are "their guys"

Holmes, Thomas Austin, and Delano Howell are all "their guys".  Grigson/Pagano may have liked what they saw when they were in college and the limited time as a pro, and feel they can play how they want them to play in their offense and defense. 

Grigson may not be in a big rush to sign any Center or FS and just roll with what we have there.  Then draft BPA.   Maybe wait until training camp to add veteran to these positions if its really needed.

Satele was also one of "their guys"

Lets look at this as the big picture. Coaches and GM's prefer "their guys" to "the other guys-guys".

They did not re-sign the other guys safety (Bethea)

They re-signed their guy, the one they traded for two years ago (Davis)

Holmes, Thomas Austin, and Delano Howell are all "their guys". Grigson/Pagano may have liked what they saw when they were in college and the limited time as a pro, and feel they can play how they want them to play in their offense and defense.

Grigson may not be in a big rush to sign any Center or FS and just roll with what we have there. Then draft BPA. Maybe wait until training camp to add veteran to these positions if its really needed.

Easy to poke holes in the guys you cherry picked

Satele was also one of "their guys"

Nah.  Not really.  At the time, the colts had no center, and no playmakers.  You can't draft Luck, and a starting rookie center, and playmakers in one draft.  Grigson needed a starting center at the time, so he had to find a veteran center.

He had no salary cap either.  So he was stuck into finding a veteran center who could fit into the salary cap.  That's not really having the luxury of choosing "your guy." 

Mack would be nice to have for some lengthy time for a solid center for Luck, but in the end we have to look towards the down the road in a few years when Luck's contract is up. Delano Howell played well when Landry was hurt for the couple of games. He stepped up. As of right now there is an estimated 27 million in cap space. If Mack get sealed and that offers a 4 year deal at around 8 to 10 a year with a front loaded contract then that gives room for extensions with Luck in the end game. Trade a few picks for a first round and pick up a safety. There is enough veteran time in the secondary that can teach a safety the ropes. Another thing is to look at another D-Lineman to sure up if Franklin walks, but that is later on. There are too many things that Grigson can do and has to plan for. The real threat for the next season in the conference that the Colts have to look at is what Denver is doing with their defense. We have the talent at receiver and don't need Decker. Most teams do not have a two corner shut down threat. but focus should be to sure up the line and look for a safety later. Offense brings crowds, Defense wins football games.

Just as a recap:

How do we know this?     I haven't seen anything posted here that confirms that....    Do you have a link?

I saw posters who were interested in the Colts signing those guys,  but nothing that showed that the Colts were interested.

Thanks.....

How do we know this?     I haven't seen anything posted here that confirms that....    Do you have a link?

I saw posters who were interested in the Colts signing those guys,  but nothing that showed that the Colts were interested.

Thanks.....

There was a tweet about the Colts going to bring in Hawley for a workout but then he re-signed.

There was a tweet about the Colts going to bring in Hawley for a workout but then he re-signed.

A workout?

I'm not even sure those are even allowed at this time with veterans?

You can bring someone in to talk....   but I don't think you can to work out....... 

Joe Hawley is 25, not a veteran. I think it said work-out. It may have been look.

Veteran isn't a term associated with a number.

If you're in the NFL,  you're a veteran.

The point is I don't think the NFL wants guys to be brought in for a work-out and then getting hurt before they can sign a new deal.     I've yet to hear of a player -- any veteran player -- brought in for a workout.

You can be brought in for a physical.   Get x-rayed and have the team doctors look at you....   but I'm not sure you're allowed to workout.

Look.....   I could be completely wrong on this.....   but this is my understanding.

Veteran isn't a term associated with a number.

If you're in the NFL,  you're a veteran.

The point is I don't think the NFL wants guys to be brought in for a work-out and then getting hurt before they can sign a new deal.     I've yet to hear of a player -- any veteran player -- brought in for a workout.

You can be brought in for a physical.   Get x-rayed and have the team doctors look at you....   but I'm not sure you're allowed to workout.

Look.....   I could be completely wrong on this.....   but this is my understanding.

Joseph Addai http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/19663767/report-joseph-addai-quit-on-his-patriots-conditioning-test

was brought in for a conditioning test which varies per team

Joseph Addai http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/19663767/report-joseph-addai-quit-on-his-patriots-conditioning-test

was brought in for a conditioning test which varies per team

Thanks.....   good find.

The only thing I'd say is this.....     I'm not sure if a "conditioning test" is allowed at any time?

Meaning Addai was brought in in May -- after the draft, and well after FA starts.

I think there's a difference when you're late in the FA process and you're willing to take conditioning test than there is getting tested in March when the FA window opens and everyone is flying around taking visits.

What would happen if a player went to a team, worked out and blew up his knee and was lost for the season without a contract?!?

I think the NFLPA would file a huge grievance.

I'm just thinking off the top of my head here,  but this seems reasonable to me.......

Thanks.....   good find.

The only thing I'd say is this.....     I'm not sure if a "conditioning test" is allowed at any time?

Meaning Addai was brought in in May -- after the draft, and well after FA starts.

I think there's a difference when you're late in the FA process and you're willing to take conditioning test than there is getting tested in March when the FA window opens and everyone is flying around taking visits.

What would happen if a player went to a team, worked out and blew up his knee and was lost for the season without a contract?!?

I think the NFLPA would file a huge grievance.

I'm just thinking off the top of my head here,  but this seems reasonable to me.......

Im not sure when all they do those tests other then when the article states, I'd assume they do something though other then just bringing him in for a physical and signing a contract during FA, But who knows