Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Comments By Polian Just Now....

HarassedOffTheSite

...on NFL Insiders.

Just some more insight on why he did and didn't do some things...

He said he considers today (the start of Free Agency) the 'worst' day of the year.

Said if you're a good team, you're going to be losing players that have bled with you and helped you win games. And that he absolutely hated it.

Polian also said today you should wait a week before signing Free Agents. You're paying "Neiman-Marcus prices" for "Macy's or Target" players. And when asked by whoever the airhead host is (I'm paraphrasing) "why so many GMs feel pressed to sign guys today?" Polian nonplussed, responded "I don't know!"

And he kind of sideway complimented Grigson on the Gosder signing.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polian payed Neiman-Marcus prices for Wal-Mart players because he drafted the Wal-Mart players.

His favorite safety in free agency is Antoine Bethea. That should tell you everything you need to know about Bill Polian's opinion on free agency.

Cue the Polian said so immediately dismiss it crowd...

You can go that route, or you can analyze what he said and make a judgment of it. For instance, like I mentioned already, his #1 safety is Antoine Bethea. His #1 running back is Donald Brown. 

I'm not dismissing what he's saying because he's saying it. I'm dismissing it because it's rigid, overly dogmatic, and worst of all, makes little sense.

Actually, not true at all

How so?

For example,  V. Davis is is a Neiman Marcus player that will receive a Neiman Marcus contract. Whereas, a lesser player will receive a lesser contract.

The market dictates your worth.

People don't want to admit he's correct because so many of them want to sign all the high priced FAs they can get. 

But every year it's the same thing... there are one or two guaranteed blue chip free agents, the rest are players that have had injury concerns, had one good year, on the downside of their careers, or are something else that makes them expendable to their current team and they will get larger contracts than their situation dictates.

Smart GMs use FA to fill holes not develop rosters. 

The comments here crack me up.  Polian did some good work here and his theories on free agency are not unique.  Just saw an Andrew Brandt tweet about teams making noise in March rarely make noise in January.  Does that make Brandt a fool too?

People don't want to admit he's correct because so many of them want to sign all the high priced FAs they can get.

But every year it's the same thing... there are one or two guaranteed blue chip free agents, the rest are players that have had injury concerns, had one good year, on the downside of their careers, or are something else that makes them expendable to their current team and they will get larger contracts than their situation dictates.

Smart GMs use FA to fill holes not develop rosters.

That's absolutely true.

The comments here crack me up.  Polian did some good work here and his theories on free agency are not unique.  Just saw an Andrew Brandt tweet about teams making noise in March rarely make noise in January.  Does that make Brandt a fool too?

Brandt is a fool (every time he disagrees with me).

How so?

For example, V. Davis is is a Neiman Marcus player that will receive a Neiman Marcus contract. Whereas, a lesser player will receive a lesser contract.

The market dictates your worth.

One example from many i could use. Albert Haynesworth

The comments here crack me up. Polian did some good work here and his theories on free agency are not unique. Just saw an Andrew Brandt tweet about teams making noise in March rarely make noise in January. Does that make Brandt a fool too?

Doesn't make anyone a fool. But it's not an accurate statement.

Real GM's dont use free agency. They waste multiple 1st round picks on players that are never seen again after their rookie contracts. They draft corner after corner but never find a decent one, and then once they are old and begin to resemble Droopy Dog they hire their son to carry on the family tradition, thats what real GM's do.

One example from many i could use. Albert Haynesworth

No doubt mistakes could be made, but if you're a good GM and do your homework, FA can be an effective way to better your team.

The market is all-encompassing, both good and bad contracts. However, the norm is that good players earn good contracts. That's how it works. Sure there are bad contracts, as you've mentioned, but it's not the norm or else the market would change and adapt if that became the norm.

No doubt mistakes could be made, but if you're a good GM and do your homework, FA can be an effective way to better your team.

The market is all-encompassing, both good and bad contracts. However, the norm is that good players earn good contracts. That's how it works. Sure there are bad contracts, as you've mentioned, but it's not the norm or else the market would change and adapt if tht became the norm.

Its rare when a huge FA deal works out. I can think of more failures than successes

Grigson built in three years what Polian couldn't build in a lifetime.

Wow....I understand the fact that people dislike Bill's view of free agency but I find it funny how NE, Pitt, Bal, NYG of the world typically are very quiet in free agency and build through the draft and investing in their own players and we rave on their GMs yet what Bill is saying makes tons of sense. How many many many times we see the team that won free agency (MIA/BUF etc etc) don't even sniff the playoffs. We know Bill over paid some of our own...give Grigs 10 yrs and he will have several mistakes too...just like NE and Pitt etc make mistakes on some players but overall the have a good program. Bill built that with us and we were very successful. I mean Bill won a SB and took us to another one...and basically we won our division almost every year....Grigs is doing a good job and may do that as well....but please....he hasn't built anything but a playoff caliber team and has made his own questionable moves (Trent and some other signings). I understand some people feel you can build a team through free agency but most I've seen....are done through the draft...retaining their guys and adding a piece here or there like when we added Vinatari or Mcfarland.