Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I score Colts 6-0 right now in transactions

lennymoore24

i dont disagree with one of those moves, but i dont know much about jackson i heard his stats are inflated and hes not a good run stuffer and his tackles are often for 4-7 yard rushing gains. He looks like an upgrade to Angerer either way so im cool. I thought Gordy wasnt a bad 2 corner better than vaughn at least. He plays good man to man which we run alot

The notion that Pat can be the kicker, kos, and punter is silly at best. Even if he could he would be retiring before the age of 30.

It wouldn't be an issue of hurting his leg. They can't do it because if he is hurt two replacements would have to be signed

The notion that Pat can be the kicker, kos, and punter is silly at best. Even if he could he would be retiring before the age of 30.

i just watched video on nfl site where pat talks about wanting to kick and he didnt know how to punt when he came into the league. i never knew that. how could pollian pick a guy thats never punted and only kicked and draft him to punt is beyond me. we lucked out there , but it explains why we had some crappy drafts with old bill

i just watched video on nfl site where pat talks about wanting to kick and he didnt know how to punt when he came into the league. i never knew that. how could pollian pick a guy thats never punted and only kicked and draft him to punt is beyond me. we lucked out there , but it explains why we had some crappy drafts with old bill

I'm thinking you didn't hear it right. :facepalm: He was a kicker and punter in college

I'm thinking you didn't hear it right. :facepalm: He was a kicker and punter in college

:facepalm:

i dont think i did, i just listened to it again where he says he didnt really punt in college

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331314/article/samson-satele-released-by-indianapolis-colts

go to about 4 minutes in he says it soon

edit: i think i get it, is "roll out punt" what he did in college? like a rugby punt? is he saying he just did a different style, idk. at first he says "in college i never really punted" and talks about learning how before camp. he says he punted the ball 4 yards and stuff like that how he had to learn. i dont think rugby punting would be that much different to completely re learn like he was talking About

the reason people think he might do both is because once the season ended he said he might do both

i dont think i did, i just listened to it again where he says he didnt really punt in college

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331314/article/samson-satele-released-by-indianapolis-colts

edit: i think i get it, is "roll out punt" what he did in college? like a rugby punt? is he saying he just did a different style, idk. at first he says "in college i never really punted" and talks about learning how before camp

He didn't punt like standard NFL punters.  The used a rugby style of punting in college.  So that would have to be projected to the NFL.

edit: i think i get it, is "roll out punt" what he did in college? like a rugby punt? is he saying he just did a different style, idk. at first he says "in college i never really punted" and talks about learning how before camp. he says he punted the ball 4 yards and stuff like that how he had to learn. i dont think rugby punting would be that much different to completely re learn like he was talking About

the drop kick in rugby is significantly different than a punt in American football, the ball hits the ground before you kick in rugby...

the drop kick in rugby is significantly different than a punt in American football, the ball hits the ground before you kick in rugby...

im familiar with rugby drop kicks. when you say "rugby punt" in reference to american football its just an expression for a style of kick that resembles more how a rugby fullback punts than when kicking to score in rugby. 

It wouldn't be an issue of hurting his leg. They can't do it because if he is hurt two replacements would have to be signed

An extra five kicks a game is nothing, with all the kicks these guys take in practice and all the reps they do on the sidelines. The extra work load isn't a problem. The question is whether McAfee could be a reliable kicker, and I'm not sure he could be. 

What's beyond me is the lengths that some people go to to denigrate Polian.

My recollection is that Vinatieri was a walking injury problem who was starting to get up there in years, and who hadn't been able to kick off effectively at pretty much any point in his Colts tenure. The Colts spend a LOW SEVENTH ROUND PICK on a great college kicker who could do a little bit of everything, and he was good enough to stick even when Vinatieri rebounded.

Considering that he's turned into one of the best punters in Colts history - worthy of substantially more than a seventh round pick - and that he's been signed to a contract that will keep him with the Colts through at least eight years after the people who drafted him were fired, I'd say that your conclusion is almost completely backwards in every respect.

What's beyond me is the lengths that some people go to to denigrate Polian.

My recollection is that Vinatieri was a walking injury problem who was starting to get up there in years, and who hadn't been able to kick off effectively at pretty much any point in his Colts tenure. The Colts spend a LOW SEVENTH ROUND PICK on a great college kicker who could do a little bit of everything, and he was good enough to stick even when Vinatieri rebounded.

Considering that he's turned into one of the best punters in Colts history - worthy of substantially more than a seventh round pick - and that he's been signed to a contract that will keep him with the Colts through at least eight years after the people who drafted him were fired, I'd say that your conclusion is almost completely backwards in every respect.

watch the video, mcafee says he hardly ever punted and had to completely learn how to punt in the pros or the pro way and sucked. he goes on to say how he could only punt like 4 yards starting out in training camp. lots of kickers and punters are undrafted and turn out fine. I dont think wasting a pick on someone who never punted pro style and admittedly struggled a lot with it at first was smart, he probably wouldnt have been drafted. if you really think mcafee or any punter is worth SUBSTANTIALLY more than a 7th round pick then i dont know what to say to you. i dont agree with spending anything more than a 7th on a kicker but in mcafees situation i wouldve passed. I just do think investing millions into someone that has never even done what youre asking them to do at any level and to learn how and do it at the professional level is smart but like i said it worked out.

pollian did a lot of dumb things towards the end of his career (hiring his son) and the whole lets build the smallest defense ever concept never really worked out. I dont hate the guy, but like our owner has said, we probably wouldve had more rings had he built a balanced team and not fudged up multiple drafts

watch the video, mcafee says he hardly ever punted and had to completely learn how to punt in the pros or the pro way and sucked. he goes on to say how he could only punt like 4 yards starting out in training camp. lots of kickers and punters are undrafted and turn out fine. I dont think wasting a pick on someone who never punted pro style and admittedly struggled a lot with it at first was smart, he probably wouldnt have been drafted. if you really think mcafee or any punter is worth SUBSTANTIALLY more than a 7th round pick then i dont know what to say to you. i dont agree with spending anything more than a 7th on a kicker but in mcafees situation i wouldve passed. I just do think investing millions into someone that has never even done what youre asking them to do at any level and to learn how and do it at the professional level is smart but like i said it worked out.

pollian did a lot of dumb things towards the end of his career (hiring his son) and the whole lets build the smallest defense ever concept never really worked out. I dont hate the guy, but like our owner has said, we probably wouldve had more rings had he built a balanced team and not fudged up multiple drafts

Please show me a 7th round pick that made millions during their first contract. Also, he had over 100 punts at west Virginia

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/pat_mcafee_2007_12_01.jpg&sa=X&ei=3jAaU9PqAsPq4gSo7oDIAQ&ved=0CGIQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGhn3WaBhemwUBuAGYMe9EwWVEzjA

Honestly I think Davis walks from the reports I think he wants too much and his age comes into play since grimes at 30 or 31 got so much dolphins overplayed and screwed us

Not sure what makes you believe any of that

well i guess all of them consdiering the minimum a rookie can make is 285,000 and rookies are generally signed to 4-6 year deals

its not my fault mcafee said "i didnt really know how to punt, when i came into colts training campi punted the ball 4 yards."

watch it 4min

I have no need to watch the video, I accepted your description of it the first time at face value. I wasn't refuting that, I just think that your conclusion doesn't make sense, and is shoe-horned in as an excuse to complain about Polian. It would make far more sense to APPLAUD the front office for recognizing his potential despite the nature of his college experience. It's akin to an undersized small college rusher being taken in the sixth round and turning into a pro bowler. Do you criticize Polian for that too?

There are plenty of Polian draft picks that can be criticized - the same as for every GM in the history of the sport. The point is that THIS ISN'T ONE OF THEM, and for you to turn someones thread applauding (amongst other things) the Colts resigning of their punter into an anti-Polian whine is disingenuous and unfair.

There were two punters drafted higher than Pat that year, and eight others since.then. And somehow I doubt that many of them could have simultaneously functioned as an effective reserve for a suspect AV. Using a fifth or a sixth on a punter is extremely common. Some go higher. If you had 20/20 hindsite you could EASILY justify using a fifth (or even a fourth) to lock up a punter that's going to be a mainstay for a decade. Hell, I remember when Rohn Stark was taken in the second (and Ray Guy in the first). Were those bad picks?

A seventh round pick's potential can be barely differentiated from an UFA - the Colts probably decided to take Pat rather than risk him slipping away as a FA because it was a position of need, and/or they weren't sure that he would sign with them. Either way, the salary implications are so utterly trivial as to be completely irrelevant to the decision.

I have no need to watch the video, I accepted your description of it the first time at face value. I wasn't refuting that, I just think that your conclusion doesn't make sense, and is shoe-horned in as an excuse to complain about Polian. It would make far more sense to APPLAUD the front office for recognizing his potential despite the nature of his college experience. It's akin to an undersized small college rusher being taken in the sixth round and turning into a pro bowler. Do you criticize Polian for that too?

There are plenty of Polian draft picks that can be criticized - the same as for every GM in the history of the sport. The point is that THIS ISN'T ONE OF THEM, and for you to turn someones thread applauding (amongst other things) the Colts resigning of their punter into an anti-Polian whine is disingenuous and unfair.

There were two punters drafted higher than Pat that year, and eight others since.then. And somehow I doubt that many of them could have simultaneously functioned as an effective reserve for a suspect AV. Using a fifth or a sixth on a punter is extremely common. Some go higher. If you had 20/20 hindsite you could EASILY justify using a fifth (or even a fourth) to lock up a punter that's going to be a mainstay for a decade. Hell, I remember when Rohn Stark was taken in the second (and Ray Guy in the first). Were those bad picks?

A seventh round pick's potential can be barely differentiated from an UFA - the Colts probably decided to take Pat rather than risk him slipping away as a FA because it was a position of need, and/or they weren't sure that he would sign with them. Either way, the salary implications are so utterly trivial as to be completely irrelevant to the decision.

Welcome to Pandora's box MAC :)

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 8, 2014 - personal shots
Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 8, 2014 - personal shots

wooah there. i didnt think it was a bad decision at the time either but watching the video  and hearing pat talk about it really changed my opinion and seemed like a very stupid decision. i can make a comment about pollian in any thread i want and if you dont like it # off. if you want to close your eyes and cover your ears and scream lalalal idc i cant hear you, by not watching the video, then have fun. im not going to yell over you. pollian did lots of stupid things and drafting a punter by whom his own admission "never really punted and didnt know how and punted four yards in camp" was  IN MY OPINION one of them and if i feel like posting it in a thread about mcafee i will and you can shove it. dont tell me what and where i can post. you took this way too deep. if you wouldnt have gone on your stupid little rant then my comment wouldve been left alone. Pat said it not me, not wiki, not anything else. If i think pollian did something stupid after listening to how it all went down and you dont like it too bad.

and i wasnt bending to make a bad point about pollian sucking, i was pointing out that even his "good"" signings were just lucky and not because he had hidden insight that everyone thought

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 8, 2014 - response to hidden post
Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 8, 2014 - response to hidden post

and i wasnt bending to make a bad point about pollian sucking, i was pointing out that even his "good"" signings were just lucky and not because he had hidden insight that everyone thought

O.o "When threatened, yell loudly and and throw something." Sound advice, got it.

And here I was thinking that politely refuting your points was the ticket. Silly me.

well i guess all of them consdiering the minimum a rookie can make is 285,000 and rookies are generally signed to 4-6 year deals

its not my fault mcafee said "i didnt really know how to punt, when i came into colts training campi punted the ball 4 yards."

watch it 4min

The only thing invested at the time of the signing is the bonus money, usually less than 100k for seventh round picks.

And i guess you never heard of hyperbole. That would explain much of that interview. My nine year old can punr a football more than four yards. Take it literal if you want, but pat was a Ray Guy award finalist at west Virginia

O.o "When threatened, yell loudly and and throw something." Sound advice, got it.

And here I was thinking that politely refuting your points was the ticket. Silly me.

oh my bad all your politness just sort of got to me, made me think i could walk all over you, silly me :thmup:

Naptown....

If I may....    I hope this post will calm things down..... 

The information I'm cutting and pasting here I just got from this very website --- Colts.com

From Pat McAfee's own page,  here's the info on his college career.    You'll see that Pat punted a LOT in college and was very, very good at it.   Everything's fine.    Polian had plenty of poor draft picks -- every GM in the history of the sport does.   But Pat McAfee was not one of them.   Polian didn't "luck" into a good punter.    Pat WAS a good punter in college.    This is not opinion,  this is fact.    And here are the facts for you right from McAfee's own page....      This should settle everything....

COLLEGE:

• Four-year player who appeared in 51 career games for West Virginia. Totaled 126 career punts for a 43.7 average with a career-long kick of 75 yards.
  • Tallied 35 punts of 50-plus yards and 46 kicks downed inside the 20-yard line.
  • Converted 58-of-79 field goals (73.4 pct.) with a long of 52 yards while splitting the uprights on 210-of-212 extra points for 384 total points.
  • Had 57 career touchbacks on kickoffs and set the school record for the most games played.
  • Following graduation, was the school’s all-time leading scorer, all-time scoring leader by a kicker and all-time extra points leader.
  • Ranked second in career punting average and second in field goals made.
  • Set the Big East record for the most extra points made and ranked second on the conference’s all-time scoring list, second in punting average and third in field goals made.
  • Appeared in 13 games as a senior and totaled 62 punts for a 44.7 average with a long of 65 yards and 25 kicks downed inside the 20-yard line.
  • Converted 17-of-20 field goals with a long kick of 52 yards and 36 extra points for 87 total punts.
  • Was one of two players in the NCAA with multiple 50-plus yard field goals.
  • As a junior, was a second-team All-Big East choice and a Lou Groza Award semi-finalist.
  • Majored in communications.

The only thing invested at the time of the signing is the bonus money, usually less than 100k for seventh round picks.

And i guess you never heard of hyperbole. That would explain much of that interview. My nine year old can punr a football more than four yards. Take it literal if you want, but pat was a Ray Guy award finalist at west Virginia

yeah but the thing is jvan that were not talking about just the time around the signing bonus we were talking about the length of their rookie contract like you asked, plus there is a lot of investment that goes beyond just paying them, xrays, mris, trainers, coaches, drug testing, custodians to clean their towels etc it goes way beyond any of that

you can stick your head in the sand and think all 7th round draft picks never had over a million dollars invested in them over the span of their rookie contracts but im sure many nfl executives and financial people would find that laughable

You're not the first to think that...

Naptown....

If I may....    I hope this post will calm things down..... 

The information I'm cutting and pasting here I just got from this very website --- Colts.com

From Pat McAfee's own page,  here's the info on his college career.    You'll see that Pat punted a LOT in college and was very, very good at it.   Everything's fine.    Polian had plenty of poor draft picks -- every GM in the history of the sport does.   But Pat McAfee was not one of them.   Polian didn't "luck" into a good punter.    Pat WAS a good punter in college.    This is not opinion,  this is fact.    And here are the facts for you right from McAfee's own page....      This should settle everything....

COLLEGE:

• Four-year player who appeared in 51 career games for West Virginia. Totaled 126 career punts for a 43.7 average with a career-long kick of 75 yards.
  • Tallied 35 punts of 50-plus yards and 46 kicks downed inside the 20-yard line.
  • Converted 58-of-79 field goals (73.4 pct.) with a long of 52 yards while splitting the uprights on 210-of-212 extra points for 384 total points.
  • Had 57 career touchbacks on kickoffs and set the school record for the most games played.
  • Following graduation, was the school’s all-time leading scorer, all-time scoring leader by a kicker and all-time extra points leader.
  • Ranked second in career punting average and second in field goals made.
  • Set the Big East record for the most extra points made and ranked second on the conference’s all-time scoring list, second in punting average and third in field goals made.
  • Appeared in 13 games as a senior and totaled 62 punts for a 44.7 average with a long of 65 yards and 25 kicks downed inside the 20-yard line.
  • Converted 17-of-20 field goals with a long kick of 52 yards and 36 extra points for 87 total punts.
  • Was one of two players in the NCAA with multiple 50-plus yard field goals.
  • As a junior, was a second-team All-Big East choice and a Lou Groza Award semi-finalist.
  • Majored in communications.

all ive done is gone by what pat says. if he gave me bad info then shame on him, go watch the video around the 4 minute mark